Bosun John MacLeod

Charlestown
23rd September 2009, 22:06
I thought I would post and make former shipmates aware of the passing of my father John (Iain) MacLeod 85yrs on Saturday 19th Sept. My dad originally from Stornoway and lived in Charlestown near Dunfermline was a Bosun in the Ben Line for many years, the latter of which were served on the "Box boats". He always remembered the Ben Line and many of his old shipmates with great affection. We plan his funeral to take place at Dunfermline Crem on Friday 25th Sept at 2.45pm.

rumdram
23rd September 2009, 22:15
Did your father also sail with Denholms (Tor Line/Denholm MacLay)? Either way regards to you and your family for your loss, lot of fine men came from Stornaway.

Sister Eleff
23rd September 2009, 22:43
Condolences Charlestown to you and your family on the passing of your Dad. I bet he had a yarn or two to tell.

forthbridge
23rd September 2009, 23:48
I sailed with your father on Benvrackie many years ago. Sorry to hear about his passing

john fraser
24th September 2009, 07:48
Sailed with your dad on the Box boats,Had many a good time with him.Spoke to him on the phone about five years ago and was his usual old self then.My thoughts go out to you at this sad time

billyboy
24th September 2009, 07:54
Condolences to all family.

Ian Mac
24th September 2009, 16:14
Sorry to hear about your father. Did a few trips with him he was a pleasure to sail with and a real gentleman.

ian keyl
25th September 2009, 20:02
My sincere condolances to you and your family on the sad loss of a very proud man, I sailed with John when he was AB on the valla and the wyvis .
He was always so balanced and helpfull and great to listen to.

He has slipped his anchor to oceans more calm god be with him.

Rgds Ian.

Willie Mac
27th September 2009, 22:44
Sincere condolences to all John's family from the members of the Western Isles Branch of the Merchant Navy Association.

Willie Macfarlane
Branch Secretary

Ali Bain
28th September 2009, 12:20
Condolences to all family, I sailed with your father on the Box boats and enjoyed the craic we had, he was a good man.
Regards-Ali. Bain.

bulwark
30th September 2009, 13:20
My sincere condolences to all the family. I sailed with him as bosun on the Benstac and he taught me a few things. Great shipmate.
Best regards,
Murdo.

Jmac
7th October 2009, 20:00
There goes the passing of a great Bosun, I did my first trip in the MN with Ian, comming off a small fishing boat to a large box boat "Benalder" was quite a shock in itself. what a character, and stories he told me, will be with me always. Esp his days on the Catchers.
My condolances to your family

John MacDonald