Blue Peter and Palm Line

ccurtis1
26th September 2009, 16:38
Any of you old Palm Kernels remember which ship carried the "Blue Peter" kitted out land rover to Nigeria. I believe whilst loading Valerie Singleton, the lovely Leslie Judd, Peter Purves and John Noakes sort of "supervised" the loading. Perhaps Stan the Man can recall. What year did this occur ?
Regards

stan mayes
26th September 2009, 18:05
Any of you old Palm Kernels remember which ship carried the "Blue Peter" kitted out land rover to Nigeria. I believe whilst loading Valerie Singleton, the lovely Leslie Judd, Peter Purves and John Noakes sort of "supervised" the loading. Perhaps Stan the Man can recall. What year did this occur ?
Regards

Hello Colin,
Elmina Palm was the ship and I am sure it was early 1969.
Captain R.Jones and Chief Officer Ken Cauldwell.
I hope you are keeping well.
Regards
Stan

ccurtis1
26th September 2009, 19:52
I knew you would come up with the goods Stan. Hope you are keeping well
Kind regards
Colin

trotterdotpom
26th September 2009, 20:27
An old friend told me that he'd seen a landrover with faded Blue Peter insignia on the doors being used as a taxi in the Port Harcourt area when he was working for United Towing.

All those kids didn't collect their buttons and badges for nothing.

John T.

mattyr
14th October 2009, 13:10
I was on board the elmena palm in tilbury when the blue peter land rovers were loaded and dropped them off in lagos. they stood on the quayside for months afterwards slowly gatting vandelised. i was the 3rd enginer at the time. iwell remember teapot jones and ken cadwell and i think ken roberts was chief engineer. i cannot remember lesley judd being present but maybe that is due to my memory regards matty roberts

storybooks
21st October 2009, 11:15
Blue Peter Land Rover Ambulances. You're spot on, mattyr, they eventually just disintigrated into the quayside. I seem to remember that they were originally intended to help out the Biafran kids so the federal government were not too enthusiastic (to say the least) and were demanding huge import duties and arguing about the paperwork