Goole Bight

Geoff Clode
30th September 2009, 08:25
Hi Out there, About 10 yrs ago I went to Goole as Chief Engineer to refurbish the Goole Bight, Suction Dredger. It took a few months, with all sorts of problems. We went British reg i.e. Lloyds- big mistake! I ballasted each side so she was heeled over & welded the Plimsol line on, they made me grind it off as it was half an inch out! We took her to Hartlepool Mariner and dredged it out . The crew went out on strike for more money and asked me to back them- We all got sacked! just wondered if anyone knows where she is and what happened to her?(Pint)

KEITH SEVILLE
30th September 2009, 09:45
Hi George

She was sold on in 2001 and renamed Abigail H and converted to a Grab Dredger.
Sadly she sprang a leak and sank alongside Heysham Harbour in November 2008. She was found to be uneconomical for repairs and scrapped at Fleetwood December 2008.

Regards
Keith

KEITH SEVILLE
30th September 2009, 09:46
Sorry I mean Geoff.
A bit busy this morning as I have to go out shortly.

Regards

Geoff Clode
1st October 2009, 17:30
Thanks Keith, At least I know not to look for her. Over the years you see odd ships that you worked on. I seen one dredger in Malta and thought Id recognised her. Cheers(H)

stevo r6 86
6th October 2009, 18:17
could goole bight be related to a goole star that has seem to filled in for the donald redford down here on the south coast?

Runrig
6th October 2009, 22:36
The Abigail H was towed to Ramsey, Isle of Man, on 7 August 2009 for demolition.Her engine and upperworks had already been removed.

Stevie B
7th October 2009, 08:35
could goole bight be related to a goole star that has seem to filled in for the donald redford down here on the south coast?
Think the Goole Star is just a barge that loads off the quay, pretty sure she has nerver been a dredger.

Castaway
2nd April 2010, 18:51
Hi there,

I was the last Engineer of the Goole Bight while she was in service with ABP formally British Transport Docks Board from around 1995/6 to Christamas 1998 when she was retired, she was always called Goole Bight from being built in 1958 at Yarwoods Yard. She was always a grab dedger and after being sold had the original deck mounted crane removed and being replaced with what looks like a Coles crane then later with several different hydraulic diggers with a grab attachment at varius times. The original crane could be a beast to set up and work via several clutch systems and if they got overloaded they would glaze and start slipping. She was designed also to run with onboard water and there wwas a tank forward and aft of the engine room, each tank lasting approximately one hour of slucing time in muddy water before the water got too warm to keep the engine cool. This was done to stop the heat exchangers from filling up with mud. There were many other ways of diverting water to other systems, however the original drawings did not show this and had been modified after delivery. So when I took over as enginner, given the first chance took up the engine room floor and traced the pipework and systems. Somewhere I have a video of the whole ship inside and out and in dry dock. The engineers cabin was the door on the right under the bridge and the skippers on the left, crews cabins and mess room etc were below. I also use to repair the Ouse Patrol, which sounded the dock and river each day at Goole, and a video of her can be found on Goole on the web, and a converted barge which was used as a work boat mainly by the joiners of the ABP engineering team, it had a small hydraulic crane arm on the bow. I was sad to find out she sank and then was scrapped a week after she sank I was working in Heysham at the power station and came home to read about it in the local paper.

Did anybody ever find out what sunk her?

Hope this helps in sum way.

Dave

PAXMAN
19th October 2010, 10:45
Hi there,

I was the last Engineer of the Goole Bight while she was in service with ABP formally British Transport Docks Board from around 1995/6 to Christamas 1998 when she was retired, she was always called Goole Bight from being built in 1958 at Yarwoods Yard. She was always a grab dedger and after being sold had the original deck mounted crane removed and being replaced with what looks like a Coles crane then later with several different hydraulic diggers with a grab attachment at varius times. The original crane could be a beast to set up and work via several clutch systems and if they got overloaded they would glaze and start slipping. She was designed also to run with onboard water and there wwas a tank forward and aft of the engine room, each tank lasting approximately one hour of slucing time in muddy water before the water got too warm to keep the engine cool. This was done to stop the heat exchangers from filling up with mud. There were many other ways of diverting water to other systems, however the original drawings did not show this and had been modified after delivery. So when I took over as enginner, given the first chance took up the engine room floor and traced the pipework and systems. Somewhere I have a video of the whole ship inside and out and in dry dock. The engineers cabin was the door on the right under the bridge and the skippers on the left, crews cabins and mess room etc were below. I also use to repair the Ouse Patrol, which sounded the dock and river each day at Goole, and a video of her can be found on Goole on the web, and a converted barge which was used as a work boat mainly by the joiners of the ABP engineering team, it had a small hydraulic crane arm on the bow. I was sad to find out she sank and then was scrapped a week after she sank I was working in Heysham at the power station and came home to read about it in the local paper.

Did anybody ever find out what sunk her?

Hope this helps in sum way.

Dave
Hi Castaway,
I note you used to do work on the Ouse Patrol.
I'm interested in buying the old craft but curious about a few bits and bobs.
Can you help?