usns henson

stevo r6 86
30th September 2009, 12:56
i see the henson has stayed in portsmouth for about two weeks annd is going out then back in,any ideas on what she is doing?

Molls-Phot
1st October 2009, 11:20
I'm told she's here for maintenance and could be around for another few weeks.

jimthehat
1st October 2009, 13:25
got a nice photo of the Henson on tues evening as we passed in the Pride of Bilbao,hope i have uploaded the photo ,not very good at this tech stuff
jim

Jock3
3rd October 2009, 16:23
Henson must have come straight from the Clyde if she's been 2 weeks in Portsmouth as on the link is a pic I put on site of Henson making her way up the Clyde mid Sept.
http://maritimegallery.fotopic.net/p60168676.html

stevo r6 86
6th October 2009, 18:14
cheers for the info, i did read that it is a survey vessel with civilians too.

Abbeywood.
23rd March 2010, 14:58
Some belated info' on the USNS Henson, (T-AGS-64).

The ship is named after Matthew Henson who accompanied Robert Peary on the expedition to reach the Geographic North Pole. Alas, being black, Henson never got any credit for his efforts until many years later.
The ship is one of seven ships of the 'Pathfinder' class of oceanographic survey ships. and operated by the Military Sealift Command.
She was built by Halter Marine at New Orleans, having been laid down on 13 October 1995 and launched on 21 October 1996. She entered service on 20 February 1998 and, as mentioned, remains active.

Q. Why was this thread in the Royal Navy section of the Forum. ?

Further info' available by 'googling' DANFS and clicking on 'auxiliaries' on the right-hand side of the page.

K urgess
23rd March 2010, 15:00
A. It isn't now. (Thumb)

Abbeywood.
26th March 2010, 07:44
A. It isn't now. (Thumb)

Greetings and congratulations, Marconi Sahib, well done.
Threads amended within 2 minutes.
Now thats what I call efficiency. !

whitbycolin
13th September 2010, 09:15
I thought you might be interested to know that this impressive ship is currently working offshore between Whitby and Scarborough where it has been for a few days now.
It has been working as part of a combined French / US Navy expedition run with the Ocean Technology Foundation (OTF) in an effort to locate the wreck from the biggest sea battle to place off Flamborough Head.
The OTF has a recent update which can be accessed here http://www.oceantechnology.org/BHR_news_release_Aug_2010.htm

Hope you find this interesting

Colin(Thumb)