cave sand & cherry sand

leewalsh
30th September 2009, 20:18
hi guys does anybody have any infomation on cave sand or cherry sand they were both dredgers in grimsby. my father-in-law was a crab driver on them ple[=P] ase

timo
1st October 2009, 08:17
The Cherry sand is still working for UKD dredging, not sure where tho, because of its shallow draft it can work in small harbours/yacht mariners, I think thats why UKD still keep it running despite its age (40 year old?), last time I see the cave sand was in Aberdeen about 6 or 7 year ago, no idea who owns that one, have a look at ukd dredging.com, you might find out some info on there, Tim.

leewalsh
1st October 2009, 18:27
thanks timo ill pass this on to my father-in-law

Anchorman
1st October 2009, 19:57
Hi Lee.
Cave Sand was scrapped at New Holland a couple of years ago. I have a photo of her and Cherry in Albert dock just previous to this. I will post it when I find it.
Neil

mvprincessanne
4th December 2009, 11:14
hi guys does anybody have any infomation on cave sand or cherry sand they were both dredgers in grimsby. my father-in-law was a crab driver on them ple[=P] ase

I was on hebble sand for 3 years,great old boat.The engine room was that well kept the BOT engineer took photos of it.But that was after 2 years of cleaning and painting it should have been.The boat was sold in 2004? and is in dundalk with a irish flag.Good boat in bad weather and a part load in the hopper ,happy days.Easy to handle even with just 1 engine 1 rudder and no bow thruster.

shipmate17
4th December 2009, 11:27
Hi,
CHERRY SAND.imo.6811059. cs GYTL. Flag.UK. Grt.1068. Built 1968 by Appledore SB. owner/ Ass British Ports. manager/ UK Dredging.
Cheers.

Steve Woodward
4th December 2009, 14:34
The Cherry Sand is very much alive and kicking, she was working alongside the Immingham Bulk Terminal (IBT) a few days ago, the berth tends to silt up alongside the piles and the suction dredgers cannot get that close in but the little grab dredger can
For the IBT see HERE (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=445886).
Image of her HERE (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=124244)
Steve

sam2182sw
4th December 2009, 19:47
I will be with the ex mate of her tonight sam

Steve Farrow
4th December 2009, 21:45

Who was your father-in-law? I worked on the Trinity, Cave and Cherry Sand for 14 years.

Steve

leewalsh
28th September 2010, 19:59
my father in law is Tony mc Donald