You only Live Twice.

ian keyl
5th October 2009, 01:10
Watching an old Bond film this afternoon reminded me of a time in Kobe in 1966. The mate on the ship was Tom MacKenzie from Edinburgh (then living in Brighton) He used to go to the same school as sean connery and were both bouncers for a while before Tom went to sea, I think sean also had a milk round at the time.

We were in Kobe on the Benwyvis and we could see from the monkey island the filming two piers away on board the Ise Maru (NYK vessel). Tom heard it was a bond film and took a walk over, he ended up having lunch with Sean Connery the next day.

Sadley Tom died some years later knowing his caper i am sure he has lived twice. He was great man for the ships party ,it was no voyage if we didnt have a party in the main ports.

Rgds Ian.

Tom S
5th October 2009, 08:56
Hi Ian
I knew Tom very well I knew him from childhood and sailed with him many times. After he left Ben Line he went to Malaysian International as Master on his last ship he ha a rough voyage and some of the cargo shifted and h helped resecure it there was some spillage and he came into contact with it I believe from what I was told it was Arsenic based and he took really ill shortly afterwards and sadly died with organ failure. My favourite story about Tom was when he was home on leave his brother asked him how he got so many girls which he did. He told him you have to make yourself attractive to them and use Old Spice, splash it all over he said and make sure you use it on your testicles. His brother did and the resultant screams could be heard half a mile away. He was was some character he moved from Edinburgh to Brighton when he married, she was one of the famous Bluebell girls.regretfully it didnt last long.
TomS

radionev
6th October 2009, 11:47
Hi Tom S.
I also knew Tom.My first trip to sea as Junior R/O Tom was first trip 3/O.Next time we met he told me he had met a girl from Worthing (Where I lived) the name didnt ring a bell.When I went on leave I went round to my pals parents house.Who was living in the upstairs flat ?. Tom .Quite a surprise my mates sister that he never told me about. Pat was her name she married again to another ben line man this time an engineer. (I dont remember his name) that did not last too long either. All a long time ago now. Regards Neville

wully farquhar
6th October 2009, 20:29
Watching an old Bond film this afternoon reminded me of a time in Kobe in 1966. The mate on the ship was Tom MacKenzie from Edinburgh (then living in Brighton) He used to go to the same school as sean connery and were both bouncers for a while before Tom went to sea, I think sean also had a milk round at the time.

We were in Kobe on the Benwyvis and we could see from the monkey island the filming two piers away on board the Ise Maru (NYK vessel). Tom heard it was a bond film and took a walk over, he ended up having lunch with Sean Connery the next day.

Sadley Tom died some years later knowing his caper i am sure he has lived twice. He was great man for the ships party ,it was no voyage if we didnt have a party in the main ports.

Rgds Ian.

Ian,I joined a Ben-boat(think it was the Lomond) in London which had aboard the famous James Bond car,it had been shipped back to the UK after that film was made.(Thumb)

EBenarty
6th October 2009, 21:45
I was on the Bennevis at the time in Kobe and Capt, Ken Hardie took them back for drinks with the crew were Tom , Sean, Donald Pleasance and Mae Hamma ( Spelling ). They were great and Sean put up the bar bill !!!