Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

non descript
13th March 2008, 23:48
Hello Sailors
I was Apprenticeon the Royston back in the 60-70s and fell 60' into no 3 hold and survived thankfully saved by the fall as I would have been in the disaster. Anyone out there sail with me G Boothby was OLD MAN
Cheers
Paul

Paul,
You did well to survive such a horrendous fall, well done. - In passing Captain George Boothby, was just 55 when he was lost, along with 73 others from the Royston Grange on that tragic night of 11th May 1972 – he was not only a good seaman and ship’s Master, but a perfect gentleman – you were lucky to serve under such a fine man.
(Thumb)
Mark

Peter Turner
28th March 2008, 20:56
I found this site by accident when my old work mate was getting gooy eyed about Shell tankers
I opened up Google typed Houlder Brothers and the name of my first ship the Oreosa
I couldn't believe it up comes lots of pictures of the Oreosa but get this amogst the pictures was one of us haveing a good drink in the cabin of one of the lads
We had just left Vitoria in Brazil January 1968 I can honestly tell you I can remember the picture being taken
This my first time on here once I suss it out I'll try to post the picture on the forum

non descript
28th March 2008, 21:20
Peter, a warm welcome to you; thank you for joining the community, you should find quite a lot of friendly faces; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

stequantum
18th April 2008, 17:29
Welcome to the site Norman,I am sure you will find someone here who sailed with them. Enjoy the site and the banter, we do. R895971 any one remember the St Merrial also know as the thorp grange it was sold to an indian company in 1972 I did 3 trips on her to BA as a gally boy I was very lucky as when they sold the ship I went to the pool and almost signed on the Royston coming down the manchester ship canal as it happened I looked at the board and decided at the last sec to go on the iberic (shaw Savill)to new zealand instead whilst on the way the tragic accident happend in the river plate. would be great to hear from any one who sailed on either ship 1971 72 Arthur Richards

non descript
18th April 2008, 17:34
Arthur, a warm welcome to you; The St. Merriel was a fine ship. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. Bon Voyage

markrogerson
26th April 2008, 21:08
hi to you all,i came across this site by accident,my old man worked aboard the UNCLE JOHN and OREGIS,his name was Ted Rogerson,sadly he passed away at home in Fleetwood on 24/04/08,if any of his shipmates read this they may want to raise a glass to him,
cheers.

non descript
26th April 2008, 21:17
Mark,
Firstly my condolences for the sad loss of your Father on Thursday – whilst I did not have the honour of knowing him, I am sure that many of his Houlders friends will be aware of him and raise a glass to him – and to you.
Secondly, thank you for joining the Site and I hope you enjoy your time with us – Bon Voyage.
(Thumb)
Mark

JohnMac068
26th April 2008, 22:22
hi to you all,i came across this site by accident,my old man worked aboard the UNCLE JOHN and OREGIS,his name was Ted Rogerson,sadly he passed away at home in Fleetwood on 24/04/08,if any of his shipmates read this they may want to raise a glass to him,
cheers.

Hello Mark, I sailed with your father on the OREGIS and the UNCLE JOHN, I'm very sorry to hear of his passing away, he was a valued member of the crew of both vessels. Unfortunately, many more of that era have "crossed the bar" as they like to say on this site. He was of the old school of British seamen, proud of his abilities, competent in everything that he did, I'm sure sadly missed by all his friends and shipmates. I will certainly raise a glass to his memory tonight.

marinero
29th April 2008, 15:05
Hello Mark.
My condolences on the loss of your Dad. I too sailed with him on the "Oregis" & "Uncle John" and shared many a glass with him, may I wish him God Speed.
Regards
Leo

pauldickinson
1st May 2008, 14:45
Anyone around from Houlders, would be great to hear how you are doing.

i joined Houlder Bros in 1976, my first ship MV Humboldt running between Le Havre and Riga, ships after that were Furness Bridge, Faraday,Cumbria, Ripon Grange, Abbey, Joule, Lord Kelvin, Oropesa. Have so far failed to contact anyone i know.

non descript
1st May 2008, 14:53
Paul a warm welcome to you; that is a fine list of ships, although some might overlook that last one (Jester) … I am sure you will bump into some old mates from times past, for there are plenty of Firey-Kippers on here.
(Thumb)
Mark

Nova Scotian
3rd May 2008, 18:09
does anyone remember the judo club they had on the shaftsbury would love some info ta

I was on the Shatfesbury from 1965 - 6 and remember the judo club. The mat was situated behind the funnel and the club was organised by James Mealing who was the chief steward. At that time we had about 10 of the crew involved. Some received different levels of belts having been assessed ashore in some of the ports we visited.

Cheers.

non descript
3rd May 2008, 19:00
Nova Scotian, well done for supplying an answer to this one. (Thumb)

michael higgins
3rd May 2008, 19:25
hi all,i sailed on cymbeline from march 78 until june 80 as A/B.the skipper was john potter from sunderland,what a good skipper he was, a real nice man.the chief steward was john potts they were old school mates.one lad from the deck mob was the bosun ,bob mckay [bam bam] as he was known.does any one remember him ?he was under the PER,permanent employment register with houlders/hadleys.

B.Bass
4th May 2008, 00:47
MH,You are certainly right about John Potter he was a real gentleman,sailed with him when he was both C/Off & master,unfortunately I hear that he has since passed away.Also Jimmy Potts the Chief Steward was also a well known character on the NE Coast.Also remember sailing with "BamBam",but failing memory can't remember which ship.

marinero
4th May 2008, 13:09
hi all,i sailed on cymbeline from march 78 until june 80 as A/B.the skipper was john potter from sunderland,what a good skipper he was, a real nice man.the chief steward was john potts they were old school mates.one lad from the deck mob was the bosun ,bob mckay [bam bam] as he was known.does any one remember him ?he was under the PER,permanent employment register with houlders/hadleys.

Hi Michael.
I sailed with Bam Bam on the "Oregis" (I think) also sailed with him on the "Manchester Challenge" across to Canada from Felixstowe, can't remember the dates though. (Thumb)

Geoff of Hull
4th May 2008, 14:03
Affraid guys Bam Bam died of a heart attack on the CSO Constructor a few years back were he was a relief bosun knew him very well!1 As I was the AB who sat aboard the Oswestry Grange alongside the Cymberline in Sunderland for the entire strike to find at the end of the strike most of my ship mates had shipped out deepsea with Houlders Billy Walsh (WELCH ?)was another ab there from Peterlee vodka Billy!1 sailed with him when I was Bosun of the City of Sunderland or the Barcelona cant remember which ...Geoff

michael higgins
4th May 2008, 16:05
hi geoff,real tragic news to hear about bob mckay [bam bam] as ive said i sailed on cymbeline for two and a half year with him.some shipmates names stick with you and in my case bob was one ,a real character.

chadders
7th May 2008, 20:48

Hi Michael,

I was mate on the Cymbeline October to December '77 with John Potter and John Potts, as a deep sea man I was a bit of a novelty for them, I actually insisted that the 2nd Mate put a position on the chart every now and again!!!
I also sailed with John Potts on the Chelwood in '73 when he went Deep Sea, Brian Tyler was the old man, John had this strange desire to count the beer kegs every day regardless of the weather.
Cheers

Derek(Thumb)

Ian MacD
9th May 2008, 21:16
Sailed with Houlders - to which I owe almost everything I became - from apprentice to Chief Officer from 1959 to 1976 when I saw the writing on the wall and left to go foreign flag. My ships were:
Orelia; Oswestry Grange; Bidford Priory; Thorpe Grange; Denby Grange; Avogadro; Beauval; Clerk Maxwell; Humboldt; Oremina; Shaftesbury; Westbury; Tewkesbury; Furness Bridge; Upwey Grange.
I can recall many of the fine men I sailed with in the extended Houlder family and would love to hear from any who have been fortunate, like me, to make it this far.
It has been a long and interesting road, perilous at times, filled with all of the usual human emotions and then some.
After I swallowed the anchor I became a Marine Superintendent in Long Beach California, then a Marine Surveyor, moved to Seattle (land of my dreams) became a consultant with London Offshore in Houston, Texas then General Manager of J.P. Knight's Guyana operation where I still labour away but now with Oldendorff. Look forward to hearing from any who remember me, however will now read this thread from end to end to see who is still around, or at least communicating. Cheers: Ian

Ian MacD
9th May 2008, 21:28
Hi Susie Q,
I first met your father in the mid sixties when he was Chief mate of Beauval - and what a fine young handsome man he was - and I was Second Mate. The last time I saw him was in Lagos in 1977 when I was Master of a ship running out of food and Tony came in on a Houlders ship and I launched one of my lifeboats to visit him and throw myself upon his tender mercies. We came away with frozen beef and a much prized bag of potatoes; we left behind a wad of US dollars and a quantity of gin. Cheers, Ian

Ian MacD
19th May 2008, 17:20
Tim,
I was mate on the Westbury after she came out of Falmouth layup and loaded for Central America. Woodbridge was the captain, please remind me which position you served in on that voyage.
Regards
Ian

Bombersman
19th May 2008, 17:44
I was 3rd Engineer on Bidford Priory May to October 1967.
Bomber Harras was the Chief Engineer the Old Man was Jackson.
I would like to hear from anyone.

Les Crowe

You must have joined as I left as 2/E. Dry dock at Brigham and Cowans? Although as I have said before we often meet like ships that pass in the night.

Bomber Harris (excuse the correction in spelling) is a character well known in Houlders, especially with respect to the Bidford Priory I have searched for Bomber on this site, but have been quite surprised to find little reference to him. He was well known for his tremedous superhuman strength.

When I was 3/E on the Bidford, on the 4-8, he would frequently involve me in various interesting jobs during the morning after breakfast and I remember him carrying one of those large refrigerant bottles on his shoulder along the flying bridge to the midships accomodation by himself.

I notice that it was some time since Les posted here, but others may have comments about this period.

Kind regards

Bob

Ian MacD
19th May 2008, 18:04
Hello Everyone. I joined Houlders in '66 as a 3rd Eng'r on Mabel Warwick,then Abadesa with her Crossley generators of ill fame.Tommy Stephenson -2nd Eng and Haagensen C/Eng Had a great trip.Then "OROTAVA" came next,standing by in Sunderland during build.The C/Eng'r was one of the finest men I sailed with -Frank Evamy,a gentleman of the first order and one of the best Eng'rs ever. We had a J-Type Doxford and the Yard was Thomson's.We went unmanned early in the maiden yoyage but had a near miss when a RUBBER joint blew out of the hot fuel oil line at night-I found it during an alarm at 3 a.m.! What a near miss!!!-Humboldt came next with Bob Kirby,Harry Ferguson and the C/Eng was Jeff Appleton(I believe he had an accident on a ship afterwards.)?After 3 trips and '70- Sagamore and then the much-loved Shaftesbury ,from 08/71-'06/72 as 2nd Eng'r with Arnold Hamer(Dr Diesel)as C/Eng-sadly now passed away. Took my wife with me on Honeymoon trip and had a great time. Left with much regret to join Geest Line and others for short-er trips. Fabulous time and great men and ships-An Institution and sadly missed. Tom woolcott (eccentric but great Master) on Humboldt and Sid Rowlands C/E are all missed but never forgotten.Martin Peat

Hi Martin
Your name is familiar but I couldn't put a face to it until I read about your time on Shaftesbury, I was the Chief Mate and I remember you and your lovely wife quite well. John Johnson was the Chief Steward.
Sorry to hear about Arnold Hamer but have not heard anything about Sid Rowlands who I sailed with on several occasions.
Best Regards
Ian

Bombersman
19th May 2008, 22:13
Good Morning Susan.
I seem to remember a Tony Moor who was the Mate on the "Bidford Priory", this was Nov 64/July 65. At the time he lived in a place called Darwen which I think is in Lancs. The Captain at the time was Jim Taylor who was then replaced by Stan Jacobson.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

I was on board the Bidford then, when Stan Jackobson took over from Jim Taylor, but I don't remember Tony Moor. Bomber Harris was C/E and I think Bo Bo Brinkley was 2/E along with my old mate Ali Scurr. Were you there marinero? If my memory serves me right, we payed off in Northern Italy at (Savona?) and travelled home by train, Just missing the connection in Paris by minutes.

marinero
20th May 2008, 11:14
I was on board the Bidford then, when Stan Jackobson took over from Jim Taylor, but I don't remember Tony Moor. Bomber Harris was C/E and I think Bo Bo Brinkley was 2/E along with my old mate Ali Scurr. Were you there marinero? If my memory serves me right, we payed off in Northern Italy at (Savona?) and travelled home by train, Just missing the connection in Paris by minutes.

Good Morning Bombersman.
Yes I was there. I joined in Falmouth Dockyard 1964(Nov) and paid off in Antwerp 1965(July) Tony Moor was there when I joined but may have paid off before you joined. Bomber Harris I remember well although I cannot remember Bo Bo as 2nd Eng. although I did sail with him on the "Humboldt" as Chief. The Ch. Stwd. was "Creamy" Hammond who cut up up a couple of drunken AB's who tried raiding his cabin on some tanker he was on whilst down Venezuela way. On my 21st. birthday He would only let me have 6 cans of beer in case I got inebriated but a couple of the engineers came to the rescue and we had a nice time.
Another time somewhere in Italy we decided we couldn't wait for the boatman to take us back to the ship at anchor so we took it ourselves and ended up being pursued by the Marine Police but we managed to get back to the ship and scarper. Next morning an ID parade took place and I was the only one the police could recognise and as I wouldn't squeal on the rest I had to pay the fine. It all turned out well though as the Engineers involved all coughed up so I ended up paying nothing.
Oh happy days
Regards(Thumb)

Bombersman
20th May 2008, 12:56
Good afternoon to you Marinero and thanks for the prompt reply. Time may well be merging different instances and different trips. I must dig out my discharge book and try to maintain some degree of accuracy.
I did sail with "Creamy" on either the Bidford or the Brandon (I don't remember which) at one time. Green peas and creamed potatoes every night!

I also remember the incident about the boat being told to me, Milazzo perhaps? This reminds me of another tale where the electrician, Davies I think, went ashore in Kikuma in Japan and caused some sort of trouble. He sported a beard at that time, as did the third mate. When the third mate went ashore he was heaved into the nick because of the rarity in Japan of beards lending suspician to him.(Jester)

I must have a chat with Ali Scurr, another regular with the Bidford and the Brandon and refresh a few memories.

Warmest good wishes

Bob

Dave Meech
20th May 2008, 14:29
Sailed with Houlders - to which I owe almost everything I became - from apprentice to Chief Officer from 1959 to 1976 when I saw the writing on the wall and left to go foreign flag. My ships were:
Orelia; Oswestry Grange; Bidford Priory; Thorpe Grange; Denby Grange; Avogadro; Beauval; Clerk Maxwell; Humboldt; Oremina; Shaftesbury; Westbury; Tewkesbury; Furness Bridge; Upwey Grange.
I can recall many of the fine men I sailed with in the extended Houlder family and would love to hear from any who have been fortunate, like me, to make it this far.
It has been a long and interesting road, perilous at times, filled with all of the usual human emotions and then some.
After I swallowed the anchor I became a Marine Superintendent in Long Beach California, then a Marine Surveyor, moved to Seattle (land of my dreams) became a consultant with London Offshore in Houston, Texas then General Manager of J.P. Knight's Guyana operation where I still labour away but now with Oldendorff. Look forward to hearing from any who remember me, however will now read this thread from end to end to see who is still around, or at least communicating. Cheers: Ian

Hi Ian,
I thnk you were the chief mate on the Furness Bridge in 1975 if my memory serves me right after all these years! i joined in June 1975 in Genoa as first trip deck boy. I remember the bosun was Bob Thorne from cornwall and Wee Jimmy Gilzean was master. There was an extra mate on that trip and i think his surname was Evans??. That was the trip where we had the please of several months in Rio for repairs, such a hard life when you were only 16!!
Would be interested to hear if that was you on that trip and do you remember any more names.

Regards

Dave

Bombersman
21st May 2008, 08:07
Hello, Thought I'd add my bit here! Was 2/O from 65 til 71/2 when I realised they had me marked as one of their permanent 2/O/wage clerks! Sailed on most of the 'O' boats plus Joya McCance(ore carrier) and several runs to the Plate on Queensbury and Ocean Transport. I still keep the 12 - 4 even now I'm retired!!! Still fall to sleep directly after dinner!!! Wake up around midnight!
Having a great time swanning around this web-site. First Class !!!
BFN Howard

Looking back through old posts, this one stood out as I'm affected in a similar way. The 4 to 8 was my watch, when not on daywork, and I still very often wake at 3-30 a.m. even after 40 years. The junior never had to put me on a shake as I was always awake when he called. (==D)

Bob

marinero
21st May 2008, 10:10
Good afternoon to you Marinero and thanks for the prompt reply. Time may well be merging different instances and different trips. I must dig out my discharge book and try to maintain some degree of accuracy.
I did sail with "Creamy" on either the Bidford or the Brandon (I don't remember which) at one time. Green peas and creamed potatoes every night!

I also remember the incident about the boat being told to me, Milazzo perhaps? This reminds me of another tale where the electrician, Davies I think, went ashore in Kikuma in Japan and caused some sort of trouble. He sported a beard at that time, as did the third mate. When the third mate went ashore he was heaved into the nick because of the rarity in Japan of beards lending suspician to him.(Jester)

I must have a chat with Ali Scurr, another regular with the Bidford and the Brandon and refresh a few memories.

Warmest good wishes

Bob

Hi Bob.
You're right it was Milazzo, my memory is not as good as it was.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

Bombersman
21st May 2008, 12:41
Hi Leo.

As I said, I tried to contact Albert Scurr (3/E, Brandon Priory and Bidford Priory) this morning by landline, to find that the number was not recognised. Looking in the telephone directory to check the number, I found Ali's entry no longer exists. An A. Scurr is in the directory, but in an area unlikely to be a haunt of Ali. I suspect that it may be his son's (Allan) address but as Ali's wife died a good few years ago, Ali may be living with his son now. I left a message on the answerphone and will see what develops. Ali left the sea about a year or two before me and we exchange Christmas cards every year in which we include some reference to our sea going days.

Did you ever sail with Albert Scurr? When you were on the Bidford you may well have heard of him.

Since getting onto this site, I have been told that Willie Wood, who I sailed with when he was junior sec eng died a few years ago and has a carving of the Brandon Priory on his grave stone. Willie got his seconds tickets round about the same time as me I believe and was a fine engineer and a real gentleman who had a lot of my respect.

Best wishes

Bob

KevinC
21st May 2008, 12:54
Hello Ian. We were apprentices together on Oswestry Grange. Someone thought it humorous to put a Campbell and MacDonald in the same cabin.
I have been in touch with J.Mountain recently and would love you to get in touch. I have a few photos of us from those days...the big tie and pith hemet. I still go to BA from time to time to have a look around but cannot turn back the clock.I have quite a few slides of OG and other ships that I was on.
Regards Kevin

KevinC
21st May 2008, 12:59
Hello Ian. Kevin Campbell here. Good to hear you are still around and prospering. I ended up offshore with Houlders and later Stena. Retired in 2001 but went into the office to do the ISM procedures for the offshore drilling fleet. Retired now and living in Hull. Get in touch.

Kevin C

KevinC
21st May 2008, 14:30
[QUOTE=Ian MacD;215219]Sailed with Houlders - to which I owe almost everything I became - from apprentice to Chief Officer from 1959 to 1976 when I saw the writing on the wall and left to go foreign flag. My ships were:
After I swallowed the anchor I became a Marine Superintendent in Long Beach California, then a Marine Surveyor, moved to Seattle (land of my dreams) became a consultant with London Offshore in Houston, Texas then General Manager of J.P. Knight's Guyana operation where I still labour away but now with Oldendorff. Look forward to hearing from any who remember me, however will now read this thread from end to end to see who is still around, or at least communicating. Cheers: Ian[
/QUOTE]Hi Ian, Kevin Campbell here. Live in Hull. Give me a call. Kevin

non descript
21st May 2008, 14:42
Retired now and living in Hull. Get in touch.

Kevin C

Hi Kevin
Looking at your location, I wonder if you knwo there whereabouts of The General - aka Captain John Jubb?
(Thumb)
Mark

marinero
21st May 2008, 21:12
Hi Leo.

As I said, I tried to contact Albert Scurr (3/E, Brandon Priory and Bidford Priory) this morning by landline, to find that the number was not recognised. Looking in the telephone directory to check the number, I found Ali's entry no longer exists. An A. Scurr is in the directory, but in an area unlikely to be a haunt of Ali. I suspect that it may be his son's (Allan) address but as Ali's wife died a good few years ago, Ali may be living with his son now. I left a message on the answerphone and will see what develops. Ali left the sea about a year or two before me and we exchange Christmas cards every year in which we include some reference to our sea going days.

Did you ever sail with Albert Scurr? When you were on the Bidford you may well have heard of him.

Since getting onto this site, I have been told that Willie Wood, who I sailed with when he was junior sec eng died a few years ago and has a carving of the Brandon Priory on his grave stone. Willie got his seconds tickets round about the same time as me I believe and was a fine engineer and a real gentleman who had a lot of my respect.

Best wishes

Bob

Good Evening Bob.
Although the name Albert Scurr rings a bell I cannot put a face to the name. I did about 35 years off and on with Houlders so we most probably know a lot of the same people. Engineers I remember from those days - Fred Capstick,Stan Hughes,Ronny Marr,Ellis Mason and others who I just cannot at the moment recall( it's terrible when the memory fades) We had a Mate by the name Nobby Clark(Aberdeen) he was a tanker man. I ended up working with him in the Aberdeen Offshore Office.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

Bombersman
22nd May 2008, 09:50
Hi Leo and a good morning to you.

Quite a few of the names you mention are well known to me those that I sailed with were:-
Ellis Mason and his wife Dorothy 2/E then Chief on Brandon and Bidford.
Fred Capstick from South Shields who also sailed on the Hardwicke Grange and also served his time at hawthorn Leslie Shipbuilders at Hebburn.
Stan Hughes I only sailed with once and was my senior third on my last trip on the Bidford.
Ronny Marr rings a bell but I cannot, like you with Ali, put a face to him.

Ali Scurr was a rotund lad, to be polite, who was always on the 12-4 and could drink most folk under the table.

Do these these others strike a chord with you or anyone else:-
Mike Mitchell 2/E when I was his Jun Eng on the 4-8 on the Bidford. He was Chief eng. on the Cerinthus when I was 2/E on the Bidford.
Alan Lowry my first Junior When I was promoted to 4/E and he was eventually Chief on the Bidford. I aslo served my time with him a Hawthorn Leslie's.
Rolly Johnson junior 2/E and well liked by all.
Jimmy Cambell junior 2/E from the Falkland Islands.
Vince Hosty, lecky from Northern Ireland.
Dave Revell of Royston Grange fate, got his 2/E ticket at the same time as and Alan Lowery and I. The three of us met on the Denby grange when she was in dry dock on the Tyne. Dave relieved me at one point on the Bidford.
John Kinkaid also of Royston Grange fate and my first Junior as afirst tripper when I was promioted to 3/E.

I will have missed a lot of folk with the memory that is becomming dim after forty years and sincerely hope that I am not becomming too boring.

Kind regards

Bob(Thumb)

marinero
22nd May 2008, 11:07
Hi Leo and a good morning to you.

Quite a few of the names you mention are well known to me those that I sailed with were:-
Ellis Mason and his wife Dorothy 2/E then Chief on Brandon and Bidford.
Fred Capstick from South Shields who also sailed on the Hardwicke Grange and also served his time at hawthorn Leslie Shipbuilders at Hebburn.
Stan Hughes I only sailed with once and was my senior third on my last trip on the Bidford.
Ronny Marr rings a bell but I cannot, like you with Ali, put a face to him.

Ali Scurr was a rotund lad, to be polite, who was always on the 12-4 and could drink most folk under the table.

Do these these others strike a chord with you or anyone else:-
Mike Mitchell 2/E when I was his Jun Eng on the 4-8 on the Bidford. He was Chief eng. on the Cerinthus when I was 2/E on the Bidford.
Alan Lowry my first Junior When I was promoted to 4/E and he was eventually Chief on the Bidford. I aslo served my time with him a Hawthorn Leslie's.
Rolly Johnson junior 2/E and well liked by all.
Jimmy Cambell junior 2/E from the Falkland Islands.
Vince Hosty, lecky from Northern Ireland.
Dave Revell of Royston Grange fate, got his 2/E ticket at the same time as and Alan Lowery and I. The three of us met on the Denby grange when she was in dry dock on the Tyne. Dave relieved me at one point on the Bidford.
John Kinkaid also of Royston Grange fate and my first Junior as afirst tripper when I was promioted to 3/E.

I will have missed a lot of folk with the memory that is becomming dim after forty years and sincerely hope that I am not becomming too boring.

Kind regards

Bob(Thumb)

Good Morning Bob.
You could never be boring about the people we knew in Houlders. I sailed with Fred Capstick on the Hardwicke, I was there for two years. Stan Hughes was a character, when we lost our Cook on The Joya to the police in Japan he volunteered to do the butchering(after a few sherberts).Mike Mitchell as Chief on the Cavendish and then as my boss in the Aberdeen Office on the diving side of things. Alan Lowry and Rolly Johnson I have met but can't remember where. I think I sailed with Dave Revell on the Royston. John Kincaid I sailed with on the Joya. In fact he was involved in a Ouiji Board circle on there and one night it told them that the ship was going to have an accident, so it's strange that he went to the Royston and suffered that cruel fate.
Keep well
Leo

non descript
22nd May 2008, 11:20
Good Morning Bob.
You could never be boring about the people we knew in Houlders. I sailed with Fred Capstick on the Hardwicke, I was there for two years. Mike Mitchell as Chief on the Cavendish and then as my boss in the Aberdeen Office on the diving side of things.
Leo

Leo
I sailed with Mike Mitchell and remember him not only as a fine engineer, but a very tolerant man who coped well with my efforts to adjust delicate pieces of machinery with mole-grips….(Jester)
(Thumb)
Mark

Bombersman
22nd May 2008, 11:36
I sailed with Fred Capstick on the Hardwicke, I was there for two years.

I first met Fred (when on relieving duty at Z shed in the Victoria docks) on the Hardwicke Grange on which he sailed for some time. He had a fellow Geordy who he had served his time with at Leslie's whose name I cannot for the life of me recall. Can you? I think he ended up as second on the Hardwicke.

I remember the day that I met him very well as I arrived at Z shed mid morning to find that the ship wasn't due in until late afternoon. I spent the day wandering round London to be caught in heavy rain. By the time I got on board, I was drenched. The sun shone for me when I met Fred and was given a nice beer, the good old Barclays, and fag (I was daft enough to smoke in the those days of duty frees) then made welcome after getting dried.

Dave Revell Joined the Bidford, relieving me after I had done a fourteen month trip broken by a fortnight break for drydock in Falmouth. He was accompanied by Gordon Clark, both of them from Warrington. Years later when I was plant engineer at the British gas engineering research station at Killingworth, we had a receptionist called Diane who was also from warrington. Imagine my surprise when I asked her if she knew Dave and Gordon to find that they had all been friends.

Bombersman
22nd May 2008, 12:03
Good Morning Bombersman.
Yes I was there. I joined in Falmouth Dockyard 1964(Nov) and paid off in Antwerp 1965(July) Tony Moor was there when I joined but may have paid off before you joined. Bomber Harris I remember well although I cannot remember Bo Bo as 2nd Eng. although I did sail with him on the "Humboldt" as Chief. The Ch. Stwd. was "Creamy" Hammond who cut up up a couple of drunken AB's who tried raiding his cabin on some tanker he was on whilst down Venezuela way. On my 21st. birthday He would only let me have 6 cans of beer in case I got inebriated but a couple of the engineers came to the rescue and we had a nice time.
Another time somewhere in Italy we decided we couldn't wait for the boatman to take us back to the ship at anchor so we took it ourselves and ended up being pursued by the Marine Police but we managed to get back to the ship and scarper. Next morning an ID parade took place and I was the only one the police could recognise and as I wouldn't squeal on the rest I had to pay the fine. It all turned out well though as the Engineers involved all coughed up so I ended up paying nothing.
Oh happy days
Regards(Thumb)

Harking back to this post Leo, was that the time that we called into Malta soon after leaving Falmouth to have thirteen fire row tubes replaced just before Christmas?

Bob(Thumb)

Bombersman
22nd May 2008, 12:36
Good afternoon Mark

Mike Mitchell was very Conscientious and was on the 4-8 watch so that as well as working on watch, he could also work in the mornings. Unfortunately for me however I had to spend nearly all of the watch at the controls with a bit of time at the end of the watch to do the log.

On the morning watch the day workers came down at 7-30 and, at first, Willy Wood blew tubes. I was allowed to relieve Willy of this chore so that he could get on with more important work. The automatic pneumatically driven sootblowers worked then on auto!

Kind regards

Bob

marinero
22nd May 2008, 20:35
Harking back to this post Leo, was that the time that we called into Malta soon after leaving Falmouth to have thirteen fire row tubes replaced just before Christmas?

Bob(Thumb)

Hello again Bob.
Yes that was the time but I can't put a face to you. I remember Malta well, as one of the mooring ropes went over the side into a little boat. I think the Lecky was an ex RN guy but cannot remember his name. I was the Saloon Steward at that time. I was sent to the Bidford after being asked to leave the Hardwicke for being to friendly with the lady passengers. This was completely unjustified you understand. All in all, I did eight months on the Bidford(Oh happy days)
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

Bombersman
22nd May 2008, 20:58
I think the Lecky was an ex RN guy but cannot remember his name

Hi Leo

Davies was his name, and he was the bearded chap that the mate was mistaken for in Kikuma.

Yes that was the time but I can't put a face to you.
I was the third who always asked for a return on the main course. Although I ate like a horse I was never much more than 11 stone.

Kind regards

Bob(Thumb)

marinero
22nd May 2008, 21:05
Leo
I sailed with Mike Mitchell and remember him not only as a fine engineer, but a very tolerant man who coped well with my efforts to adjust delicate pieces of machinery with mole-grips….(Jester)
(Thumb)
Mark

Hello mark.
As you say Mike was a very well thought of Engineer.
He had a habit of sitting at a bar stool(on the Cavendish) and rocking back and forth so we bought one of those plastic ducks that when you put it in front of a glass of water and dipped its head in the water it perpetually kept nodding. Mike loved it.
He was a good boss when I worked for him in Aberdeen and ran the Houlder-Comex oufit very successfully. John Houlder thought well of him. I wonder where he his now?
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

Bombersman
23rd May 2008, 07:59
Good morning Leo.

Our discusssion about the trip from Falmouth stoked up some memories. I had a first trip junior from Middlesborough who the stewards nicknamed "Rooster". He was as green as the grass, and although I have only a hazy recollection of you, I do remember you asking him to indicate that he was finished eating by placing his knife and fork correctly.

Kind regards

Bob(Thumb)

NINJA
23rd May 2008, 08:35
With reference to the dipping duck and Mitch, the duck only lasted one night, it was found in the bar with a broken neck, "who dunn it"?

Bombersman
23rd May 2008, 09:19
I had forgot that Mike had thie rocking habit, but you are quite right, he did.

marinero
23rd May 2008, 10:56
With reference to the dipping duck and Mitch, the duck only lasted one night, it was found in the bar with a broken neck, "who dunn it"?

C'mon Ninja, don't keep us in suspense who did it? Can you remember having to buy yourself into the bar with a keg of ale when you joined the ship and the same when you paid off and were you there when Dai Davies(Elect) was banned from the bar so he used to go down the Crew Bar with his guitar and play music for them in exchange for beer? Can you remember the kerfuffle with the 2nd Eng. the Black Pudding and the Captains wife when the photo went up?(no names no packdrill)
Regards(Thumb)

marinero
23rd May 2008, 11:09
Good morning Leo.

Our discusssion about the trip from Falmouth stoked up some memories. I had a first trip junior from Middlesborough who the stewards nicknamed "Rooster". He was as green as the grass, and although I have only a hazy recollection of you, I do remember you asking him to indicate that he was finished eating by placing his knife and fork correctly.

Kind regards

Bob(Thumb)
Hi Bob.
You have an incredible memory to remember something like that. One had a duty to instruct the junior Officers in the etiquette required in those days (he said tongue in cheek)
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

NINJA
23rd May 2008, 12:04
Hello Leo,

Yes many memories of that trip on the Cavendish, chip eating contests, Dia's guitar playing and can you remember the sparky we nicknamed "Tony Rome", his party piece was playing the spoons and when the ship rolled he would do a backward flip off the sofa and standup uninjured. It was a good trip that, the only injury was to the dipping duck. We paid off in Santos, Roy Southgate, Malcolm Gray and wife, John Ronicle, Dai Davies and myself. Did two more trips on the Cavendish but that was the best. Still keep in regular touch with Dai Davies.

Ninja.

potters
23rd May 2008, 12:11
hi Ninja im trying to find out any information on my father Roy Southgate, just wondered if you had any at all thanks.

marinero
23rd May 2008, 15:41
Still keep in regular touch with Dai Davies.

Hi Ninja
I believe Dai is going to the Offshore Reunion in June at Newcastle.I remember you lot paying off in Santos, if I remember correctly Dai paid off in a ladies dress for a bet and changed into his shoreside clothes at the bottom of the gangway to the amazement of the dockworkers. Is that the trip we had "Mutley" the Apprentice on? Those bars in Dock Sud must have made a fortune out of us.
Regards(Thumb)

Bombersman
23rd May 2008, 15:47
You have an incredible memory to remember something like that.
Yes I do, isn't it a pity that I don't remeber important things as well(Cloud)

One had a duty to instruct the junior Officers in the etiquette required in those days (he said tongue in cheek)
And it was sorely needed in some cases.(A)

Best wishes

Bob(Thumb)

NINJA
23rd May 2008, 16:14
Hello Potters,

Sorry heard nothing more about Roy Southgate since I left the Cavendish.

Ninja.

NINJA
23rd May 2008, 16:21
Hello Leo,

Yes, Mutley was one of the contestants in the chip eating contest. Cannot remember who won.

The trouble with the bars at Dock Sud was you had to go all the way round that dock to get back to the ship late at night but they were good bars.

Dai still talks of that paying off in Santos.

When I spoke to Dai earlier in the week he said he was not attending the Offshore Reunion.

Regards

Ninja.

RWilliams
23rd May 2008, 23:12
Thank you all very much for helping me with this information. I will still keep trying to find out where the name Houlders can from.

Thanks again

Did you get an answer to your question?

Houlder Bros was the name of the company. When I worked for them 1970ish the CE was John Houlder who ran the company and actually worked at the office in Leadenhall Street. It was his practice each month to invite Senior Officers on leave to lunch in the Great Eastern Hotel, Liverpool Street Station. I was invited to attend on one occasion and it was a very social affair. Not too much wine, but I felt it was Mr Houlder's way of getting close to his officers to understand what was happening on his ships, direct from them, and without going through the superintendents.
I think the name of his father was Sir John Houlder.

Bombersman
24th May 2008, 19:33
Good evening Marinero.

A few days ago I said: -
I was contacted tonight by Ali who was delighted to hear of my discussions on SN, but saddened to hear of the death of Willie Wood who sailed on the Brandon and the Bidford. Other younger folk will be more likely to know of Willie Wood through his bowls playing on Television where he was frequently shown and champion at one time I beleive.

I only found out about Willie Wood through joining SN where a senior member mentioned Willie's death.

Does anyone else remember Willie Wood, a fine engineer and a gentleman. He got his seconds ticket about the same time as Alan Lowery, Dave Revell and myself.

Kind regards

Bob W(Thumb)

marinero
24th May 2008, 21:44
Good evening Marinero.

A few days ago I said: -
I was contacted tonight by Ali who was delighted to hear of my discussions on SN, but saddened to hear of the death of Willie Wood who sailed on the Brandon and the Bidford. Other younger folk will be more likely to know of Willie Wood through his bowls playing on Television where he was frequently shown and champion at one time I beleive.

I only found out about Willie Wood through joining SN where a senior member mentioned Willie's death.

Does anyone else remember Willie Wood, a fine engineer and a gentleman. He got his seconds ticket about the same time as Alan Lowery, Dave Revell and myself.

Kind regards

Bob W(Thumb)

Hello again Bob.
I have been following the thread on the Bidford and it seems Willie Wood was a well respected man and engineer. I find this site spot on for reuniting people across the years. It was nice that Willie's family are able to find out about more and that was rather nice of that other member to print the thread out for the family.
Off to bed now. I'm one hour ahead of the UK.
Goodnight Bob
Leo

KIWI
24th May 2008, 22:15
Never worked for this company but reading this thread is extremely interesting.The incidents,personnel etc. mentioned & enlarged upon really fascinating.Envious that nothing similar evolves around the company I sailed with. Kiwi

Bombersman
25th May 2008, 08:37
Hello again Leo,

This site certainly fulfills a need and I have enjoyed myself imensely here over the last few days.

I have had to restrain myself from getting carried away.(==D)

Kind regards

Bob

Bombersman
25th May 2008, 08:49
Never worked for this company but reading this thread is extremely interesting.The incidents,personnel etc. mentioned & enlarged upon really fascinating.Envious that nothing similar evolves around the company I sailed with. Kiwi

Hi Kiwi,

Our company was full of characters who embed themselves in the memory through their actions. The diversity of the type of ships that were in use and the runs that they were on, lends to the wide variation of stories. A mix of these two factors has the inevitable consequence of interest.

Working for Houlder Bros. was like being part of a big family.

Warmest good wishes

Bob

Bombersman
25th May 2008, 10:04
Mornin' Leo

You have mentioned "Creamy" Hammond, and among my recollections of other chief stewards, the names Fred George, Don Sali (sp?) and Harry Fieldhouse spring to mind as shipmates on the Bidford and Brandon.

Do you recall any of these?

Kind regards

Bob W(Thumb)

marinero
25th May 2008, 11:47
Hi there Bob.
Fred George was well known in Houlders and I knew of Harry Fieldhouse although I never met him, likewise Don.
You know Bob you said it was like one big family, well I can vouch for that as a twenty year old 2nd Stwd. The company arranged and stood as guarantor for the mortgage on my first house. You can't get better than that. As Kiwi said in his post the ethos of the Company is reflected in these threads. I can only assume that this all came from John Houlder himself. As someone else commented regarding Mr. Houlder's luncheons at the Great Eastern Hotel, well these were extended to the Ratings and a great success they were too. I remember one of his comments as "You sail in my ships, so let me know how they can be improved" John Houlder had a secretary called Janet and she was as radical as he was in fact I think she (Thumb) was a union rep in the London office.
If anyone knows her whereabouts I would appreciate the info?
Regards
Leo

Bombersman
25th May 2008, 17:51
Evening Leo,

Harry Fieldhouse was chief steward on my first trip on the Brandon and was affectionately known as Harry Fieldmouse.

Don Sali was Chief steward on the Bidford on my second trip to sea which lasted fourteen months with a two week dry dock break. I had a lot of use for Don who was a very conscientious man and used "Gleem" to seal the alleyway floors. A couple of deck apprentices used to sing "gleeming, I'm always gleeming" as a parody on a tune going round then - Dreaming I'm always dreaming.

Fred George I sailed with once or twice and he was Chief steward on my last trip on the Bidford.

Another chief steward whose name I can't remember was noted for his mention of "Going to t' mucky loco" (a pub I think) when on leave. I do remember that he was a very jolly man and always had a ready smile.

One thing that all the chief stewards and cooks had in common during my time on the two Priories was that they were absolutely superb feeders. Being a bloke who has always loved his grub this stands out as one of the many happy memories during my time at sea.

"A return on the main course please" was my constant request and was always fulfilled, with the one exception of "Creamy" Hammond.

Alan Lowery and I when on leave together as we often were, used to go to the "Red house" in Newcastle at the bottom of dean street and have a plate of scampi most days followed by double cut T bone steaks. We were well known.

Kind regards

Bob W(Thumb)

non descript
25th May 2008, 19:10
Never worked for this company but reading this thread is extremely interesting. The incidents, personnel etc. mentioned & enlarged upon really fascinating. Envious that nothing similar evolves around the company I sailed with. Kiwi

Hi Kiwii,
Yes, as Bob has written so eloquently already, for some reason which is quite beyond me and I guess many of us, working for Houlder Brothers was very much like being part of a big and very happy family.
(Thumb)
Mark

ps. Even those who passed by and were metaphorically merely caught by the cuff, gained a link and enjoyed the unique charm of the Houlder/Hadley faimily style

marinero
25th May 2008, 19:28
Hello Bob.
The only bit I did not like about the gleeming of the docks was the stripping of it when it had to be replaced. And yes the Bidford was a pretty good feeder, in fact the majority of Houlder's ships did us quite proud. Mind you though Bob, the standard of catering in the North Sea with Houlder Offshore was something else as I'm sure many ex-staff would concur. I remember when I first went offshore with Houlders I was getting £6 per day offshore allowance + tanker rate. It was so good I never touched my salary on my three weeks leave. Those were the days.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

marinero
25th May 2008, 19:29
Hi Kiwii,
Yes, as Bob has written so eloquently already, for some reason which is quite beyond me and I guess many of us, working for Houlder Brothers was very much like being part of a big and very happy family.
(Thumb)
Mark

ps. Even those who passed by and were metaphorically merely caught by the cuff, gained a link and enjoyed the unique charm of the Houlder/Hadley faimily style

Couldn't agree more Mark. Well said.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

Bombersman
25th May 2008, 19:53
"...as Bob has written so eloquently already..."

You're too kind mark.(A)

Bob W(Thumb)

John Campbell
25th May 2008, 20:33
"...as Bob has written so eloquently already..."

You're too kind mark.(A)

Bob W(Thumb)

Bob,
there are two other Houlder men whom I know and knew very well they are Eddie Hutchison and John McLintock did you know them by any chance
Regards
JC

non descript
25th May 2008, 20:38
Bob,
there are two other Houlder men whom I know and knew very well they are Eddie Hutchison and John McLintock did you know them by any chance
Regards
JC

JC,

Ah... that's a small world. I was making mention of Eddie Hutchison only a day or so agon or here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=5772&page=3). Please pass on my best regards to him if you find him.
(Thumb)
Mark

Bombersman
25th May 2008, 21:29
"there are two other Houlder men whom I know and knew very well they are Eddie Hutchison and John McLintock did you know them by any chance"

Sorry John, but I haven't.

Kind regards

Bob W

JohnMac068
25th May 2008, 22:33
Hi there Bob.
Fred George was well known in Houlders and I knew of Harry Fieldhouse although I never met him, likewise Don.
You know Bob you said it was like one big family, well I can vouch for that as a twenty year old 2nd Stwd. The company arranged and stood as guarantor for the mortgage on my first house. You can't get better than that. As Kiwi said in his post the ethos of the Company is reflected in these threads. I can only assume that this all came from John Houlder himself. As someone else commented regarding Mr. Houlder's luncheons at the Great Eastern Hotel, well these were extended to the Ratings and a great success they were too. I remember one of his comments as "You sail in my ships, so let me know how they can be improved" John Houlder had a secretary called Janet and she was as radical as he was in fact I think she (Thumb) was a union rep in the London office.
If anyone knows her whereabouts I would appreciate the info?
Regards
Leo

Janet was certainly a character, she was an excellent PA, who in the old days, when JMH was on a lot of company boards, kept him on the mark and fully briefed. I first met her on the Orotava (Bridge). JMH sent her for a few days break, to join a ship, a new experience for her. She joined us in Amsterdam, and did the short voyage to Falmouth, where we dry docked, my wife also did the same short trip. Janet was a bit poorly on the passage other than that, I think she enjoyed it. I last saw her at JMH's 90 birthday do, two years ago, still in good health.

John Campbell
26th May 2008, 08:41
Hi Tonga,
Eddie is retired and living in Aberdeen. He was ten years as a surveyor with the MCA when he left Houlders.I was with him in Caltex.

He does not have a p.c.but I will pass on your regards.

He and I attended the funeral of another old sea dog, ex chief surveyor with the DOT/MCA-Capt. Trevor Fellingham a native of Cardiff.

Best regards
JC

non descript
26th May 2008, 09:10
Thanks JC. (Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
27th May 2008, 14:52
Hi, I am Tony Moor's daughter, Susan. Just wondered if anyone remembered my father, he was the Captain of Cerinthus in the early seventies when I was a tiny thing, though I do remember sailing to Rotterdam with him when I was about three years old. Would love to hear from anyone who remembers him. Cheers, Susie Q.(==D)

Hi Susan, I sailed on the Cerinthus in the early 70s and I remember your dad, I was the Chief Cook,it was an old ship but a happy one.It was a pleasure sailing with your father. Alan T.

ALAN TYLER
27th May 2008, 14:59
cheers.

So sorry to hear of your great loss. I sailed with your father on both the Oregis and the Uncle John, I will raise a glass to him with fond memories.
Alan, ( Chief Cook/ Chief Steward)

Bombersman
1st June 2008, 09:17
Hello Bob.
The only bit I did not like about the gleeming of the docks was the stripping of it when it had to be replaced. And yes the Bidford was a pretty good feeder, in fact the majority of Houlder's ships did us quite proud. Mind you though Bob, the standard of catering in the North Sea with Houlder Offshore was something else as I'm sure many ex-staff would concur. I remember when I first went offshore with Houlders I was getting £6 per day offshore allowance + tanker rate. It was so good I never touched my salary on my three weeks leave. Those were the days.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

Hi Leo

"The only bit I did not like about the gleeming of the docks was the stripping of it when it had to be replaced."
Quite! When the Gleem was first put on it was brilliant with a fine crisp gloss, however in no time at all feet passing over it took away the gloss and the appearance was even worse than before Gleeming. Don used to Gleem the floors himself at first, in the evening, and the smell in the accomodation was as strong as that in the tanks when checking for leaks in the heating coils.

It is a lousy day here in Newcastle and a planned walk in North Northumberland, I have called off, therefore I am spending some time reading on SN(Thumb)

Kind regards

Bob

heather7
1st June 2008, 23:51
Recently found this sight so many happy memories any one remember Alan Barnes (barney) served his cadetship with Houlders. Possibly early70s was 3rd mate on Mabil Warwick August 1974 paid off with discolated shoulder Cape Town . Was in Middlesborough with Sir Alexander Glen sailed to Japan untilJuly1975.Was my husband sadly died Nov 2005 due to a brain tumor induced by working in oil industry.From 1975 to2004 was with Mobil/Bp

Bombersman
2nd June 2008, 07:57
A warm welcome to SN heather7.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss heather7 please except my belated sympathies.

Barney's time at sea commenced a few years after I came ashore in 1977, so I couln't have had the pleasure of sailing with him or you come to that.

My wife was at sea with me when I was second engineer on the Bidford Priory, in the days when only the Captain, chief officer, chief engineer and scond engineer were allowed to take their wives to sea with them. She had company in the form of Mrs Mulligan, the captains wife.

Best wishes

Bob W

veste
4th June 2008, 10:36
Heather Barnes and Family, Houlder Brothers Crews,
Just found out about the loss of a friend of years ago, Alan Barnes ( Barney), and with prior permission from his wife Heather, I would like to write a few kind words in tribute to a very special man.
Because thats what he was when I knew him, all them years ago, at School at Boulevard and at sea on the Clerk-Maxwell. He went on to gain his Masters Certificate and sailed with Mobil/ BP.
He was an extremly friendly character and spread this to everyone who knew him, he was the ideal person to have with you while working at sea.
I miss him,

Kindest Regards veste.
Stephen Alan Asquith.

norsea
9th June 2008, 16:47
Bob,
Regards
JC

Last time I met John McLintock was way back in 69/70 after sailing as First Mate in Hardwicke Grange he transferred to Buenos Aires. Not sure if he was working in Houlders B.A. office.
Best Regards
Norsea

JOC42
21st June 2008, 00:26
My first trip to sea as a junior R/O (direct employ) was on the Bidford Priory - joined in Finnart near Glasgow 1975 on her last trips and paid off in Faslane next to the submarine base where she was to be scrapped. Had some good times in Rotterdam (ALL DAY DRINKING ASHORE) and Belfast - I still remember my dad getting a letter from Houlders about my bar bill - I was 19 at the time ;-)) My dad was very supportive ...he taught me well - his response to them was polite ands informative - way to go !! )
The Bidford was the only ship where we had laundry boys on the crew - nice touch.
After that was the Hardwicke Grange, still Junior R/O with Radio Ron (Marconi) to Montevideo and BA - nearly got arrested in BA for standing infront of a national bank, hiding from the rest of the lads as a joke in the days of the Junta ..... the seamans mission was legendary in helping out!
Attempting to send morse all afternoon while the lads were trying to listen to the cup final on BBC world service - never had such a wall of silence when I went for a beer before dinner - why did no-one tell me ????
Some of the engineers were legendary steam guys - I remember a Tony from Hull?? and babysitting for the Chief Eng and his wife in BA ??

Happy days

cheers

John

yamamoto
28th June 2008, 15:03
hi sorry not been on site for ages do you have any photo of the judo club please. did you do judo

notnila
28th June 2008, 23:30
Joc42's reference to laundry hands got me thinking.Two out of the three Houlders vessels I sailed in had a Chinese laundryman.Was this a Houlders"thing"?No other Tanker or Cargo ship I was in had them.Abadesa even had a permanent swimming pool abaft the funnel!! Quite an advancement in 1964.

Dennis Larder
29th June 2008, 13:44
Hi there, My name is Dennis Larder and I sailed in various Houlder Brother ships and also Offshore on the Uncle John, Oregis and Orelia I served Deep Sea on the Hardwicke Grange (5 times) Ocean Transport (4 times) Star Pinewood ( when we ran aground off Vancouver and suffered an engine room fire off the Aluetions and had to limp back to Japan for repairs) Clerk Maxwell, Banbury (2times), Westbury (twice) Oswestry Grange, Upway Grange and the went Offshore with Houlders. I would welcome any news from any one I sailed with.

chadders
30th June 2008, 09:14
Hi there, My name is Dennis Larder and I sailed in various Houlder Brother ships and also Offshore on the Uncle John, Oregis and Orelia I served Deep Sea on the Hardwicke Grange (5 times) Ocean Transport (4 times) Star Pinewood ( when we ran aground off Vancouver and suffered an engine room fire off the Aluetions and had to limp back to Japan for repairs) Clerk Maxwell, Banbury (2times), Westbury (twice) Oswestry Grange, Upway Grange and the went Offshore with Houlders. I would welcome any news from any one I sailed with.

Hi Dennis, Your name is familiar and I'm certain we sailed together but can't remember where/when, old age!!! I was 2/0 on the Hardwicke Grange 76/77, Apprentice on the OT 68/69 and 2/0 in 75 and C/O on the Max in '79. So where was it I think probably to OT in 75.

Derek Chadburn

westkings
3rd July 2008, 00:12
I was at school with Phil Kirton and last saw him in June 1980 .He had just got his `seconds ticket ` with Houlders .I was with the Customs at the time and still am . I used to board Houlder Brothers ships at Royal Seaforth in the late 70`s no sign of Phil .

Dave Meech
3rd July 2008, 15:48
I was at school with Phil Kirton and last saw him in June 1980 .He had just got his `seconds ticket ` with Houlders .I was with the Customs at the time and still am . I used to board Houlder Brothers ships at Royal Seaforth in the late 70`s no sign of Phil .

Hi There,
I was with Phil for a number of years on the Stena Spey (ex High seas driller) He was initially night mechanic then was made up to chief. i am not sure if he is still there but the last I heard in 2004 he was. Very nice chap and a good engineer. he was living near perth in scotland. If I find out any more i will gladly pass the info on.

Best Wishes

Dave

Hugh Thomas
3rd July 2008, 21:41
Yep sailed with Phil on the Banbury around 1979 and bumped into him in Holyhead around 1990 he was on a laid up platform at the time, yes remember him mentioning his place in Perth, and flying a micro-light out of his back garden. Smashing bloke real gent.
Hugh.

westkings
4th July 2008, 20:44
Thanks for the info re Phil Kirton . I have often wondered what happened to him .Do you happen to know if he ever married? We rummaged the Banbury in 1980 , never found anything! No doubt had a beer with the Chief Steward afterwards .Funny to think Phil was onboard the previous year .

Neillcarslaw
4th July 2008, 21:11
Welcome to the site, there are almost certainly some members who sailed with them as I think you will shortly find out.
I am trying to find out about the loss of the El Argentio in WW 11. She was bombed and sunk in a convoy that I sailed in. I would like to know were there survivors and any others information. Do you perhaps know who to ask? Sincerely Neill Carslaw

jgazzard
5th July 2008, 18:49
I am trying to find out about the loss of the El Argentio in WW 11. She was bombed and sunk in a convoy that I sailed in. I would like to know were there survivors and any others information. Do you perhaps know who to ask? Sincerely Neill Carslaw

Neill, The El Argentino (Capt. Freddie Kent) was bombed off the Portuguese coast on 26th July 1943 and sank. One source of reference says that one poerson died, another source indicates more than one.

I refer you to www.convoyweb.org which is a great site with tons of info on just about every convoy in WWII and many good links.
Another site worth a look is www.warsailors.com.

Regards John

Norm64
13th July 2008, 21:03
i was on houlder bros clutha river 1964 ian petrie
I was 1st trip junior engineer on "Clutha River" May 1964 till Aug. missed her
in Perth Amboy east coast USA 2nd Engineer ?? McClauland did his watch in the fridge
sorry for poor spelling

non descript
13th July 2008, 22:10
I was 1st trip junior engineer on "Clutha River" May 1964 till Aug. missed her
in Perth Amboy east coast USA 2nd Engineer ?? McClauland did his watch in the fridge
sorry for poor spelling

Norm,
No sorry needed - a warm welcome to you on your first day. Thank you for joining and enjoy the voyage.
(Thumb)
Mark

tapdnalop
13th July 2008, 23:17
Hi, everyone my name is Paddy Poland if you remember me, joined the St Margaret as deck boy in bidston birkenhead 26/7/73 Clyde Bridge 2/2/74, Faraday 16/7/74, Maiden voyage on the Sir Alexander Glen, 7/4/75, Camarina 21/10/75, The Pride Of the Fleet was the Banbury 19/12/75 till the 20/5/78 then finished with the Orotava 22/9/78, these where some of the best years of my life, work hard play hard was my motto, Capt Ditchburn, was a gent also Chief Steward Johno Johnson, workin for Mersey Ferries now.

marinero
14th July 2008, 16:23
Hi, everyone my name is Paddy Poland if you remember me, joined the St Margaret as deck boy in bidston birkenhead 26/7/73 Clyde Bridge 2/2/74, Faraday 16/7/74, Maiden voyage on the Sir Alexander Glen, 7/4/75, Camarina 21/10/75, The Pride Of the Fleet was the Banbury 19/12/75 till the 20/5/78 then finished with the Orotava 22/9/78, these where some of the best years of my life, work hard play hard was my motto, Capt Ditchburn, was a gent also Chief Steward Johno Johnson, workin for Mersey Ferries now.

Hi Paddy.
I remember John Johnson very well. Sadly he is no longer with us having passed on quite a few years ago. What a character, he was known as the Ch. Stwd. with the "Hollywood Expense Account". He worked in the Personnel Dept. for quite a while, about ten every morning he would go for his smoko in the Elephant, a pub in Fenchurch St. I could tell some stories but I think the Mods might censure them.
I think we remember our times at sea by the people we met on board the various ships we sailed on.
Regards (Thumb)

tapdnalop
14th July 2008, 17:05
Hi, marinero, its sad to hear another good one has gone, he saved me from certain jail on the south american coast once, but thats another story, i remember him from the Banbury he hand picked his own cooks, they could stand up to any of the top chefs you see on telly.

marinero
15th July 2008, 11:12
Good Morning Paddy.
Saving people from jail and other scrapes sounds like JJ. I relieved him a couple of times and also worked with him in the office. The office staff thought the world of him. He was just a larger than life figure and sadly missed.
Regards(Thumb)

tapdnalop
15th July 2008, 14:33
Hi, to all i dont know if you have looked up this site but they have plenty of ships photo,s http://www.photoship.co.uk/ i found the StMargaret,Banbury,Faraday and Hardwork Grange. Spread the word Pat

Bombersman
15th July 2008, 15:34
Great site Paddy. Thank you.

Bob W.(Thumb)

Martin Peat
17th July 2008, 16:09
Hi Paddy.
I remember John Johnson very well. Sadly he is no longer with us having passed on quite a few years ago. What a character, he was known as the Ch. Stwd. with the "Hollywood Expense Account". He worked in the Personnel Dept. for quite a while, about ten every morning he would go for his smoko in the Elephant, a pub in Fenchurch St. I could tell some stories but I think the Mods might censure them.
I think we remember our times at sea by the people we met on board the various ships we sailed on.
Regards (Thumb)

I first met Johno in a pub in N Shields in '63 he was working behind the bar at the time. I sailed with him on Humboldt and he had done such a good deal with the Ship's Chandler that he paid for us all a slap-up Chinese Meal in Port Swettenham .He certainly was a Great personality and one of life's characters. As you say, some of the stories are better left to the Censors. God Bless him!!Martin

glynn gerard hewitson
25th July 2008, 22:11
(Thumb) Hi Tonga,
Thanks for pic of the Ledbury,good memories of South America,sorry for
delay in replying,
Glynn....best wishes..

Biggus
29th July 2008, 18:06
I was on the Faraday from May '78 to Nov '78

Harvey Williams
29th July 2008, 20:57
Hope you dont mind Gentlemen, but my Best Mate is not a member nor does he own a computer, so if you dont mind I would like to put his name forward. John Harrison started as Catering Boy first trip back in 1965 on board the Ocean Transport, did two trips if I remember right. I only joined after receiving the first letter he wrote me from B.A. I got his letter on a Wednesday, by Saturday I was posting off my enrolment forms. So good on you John. Thanks for a Great Life.
Harvey.

mike 555
8th August 2008, 09:22

ian,
just seen your post,i have worked on the swan river and i have done two trips on the royston grange.both of these ships i spent christmas on them.
mike

ChandlerBird
13th August 2008, 18:06
Hi Leo
Was on Humbolt sept80 to Dec 80 as 4/E and burnt the back of my hand Bo Bo was C/E and Burgess was Old Man and if I remember correctly you managed to get the price of the beer down considerebly which was appreciated all round
Regards Stuart(stew)(Pint)

Hi Stuart
Joined Houlder Brothers in 1980 and my first ship was Hombolt Oct 80 to Jan 81 as Galley Boy. You must of been there at same time. Can't remember names but the cook was Black and replaced later with a Irish man who would sing and play gitar. I was sea sick for almost the entire trip. Went on to sail in a number of grange ships and oil rigs left company in 85. Love to hear from any one who remembers me.
Mark Bird

Cuddles
13th August 2008, 19:11

Hi Dennis
What a nice surprise to find that, like me, you had recently joined SN.
Your mention of the "Star Pinewood" brought back many happy memories and it was on that vessel that we first sailed together.
I joined as Bosun in Tilbury and you later Joined on the Canadian west coast.
The time spent on the "Star Pinewood" was one of the happiest trips I've experienced. Usually there is someone on most ships that causes trouble of some sort or another but not on that voyage. Everyone from the Captain down got on with one another. I've mislaid my Discharge Book so I can't recall the Captain's name. Kevin Campbell was Chief Officer and a great fellow to work for and he was'nt afraid to muck in himself. I will never forget the AB
Ivy White, what a character.
The fire you refer to broke out a few days after leaving Osaka for British Columbia. A fuel line broke in the engine room and the resultant fire was very
serious and we were very lucky to get it out. I remember that as we were
getting the Lifeboats ready to abandon ship if necessary, someone was throwing cases of lager into them from the crew bar.
Eventually the Engineers and Electrician managed to get one engine started
and we limped back to Yokohama for repairs.
Whilst in the Shipyard they launched a ship which shot down the slipway
hit our stern. Which resulted in further repairs to us.
There was a Welsh Cook who paid off in Yokahama (name escapes me) and
I heard a year or so later that he drowned in North Shields. He fell into the Tyne when returning to his ship after a night out.
To anyone reading this Dennis and I again sailed together a few years later
on the SSV "Uncle John". Kevin Campbell was also to join that vessel.
Last June I was to meet up with Dennis, whom I had not seen for nearly 20
years at the " Uncle John" reunion. Kevin Campbell was also there and a good time was had by all.
Best Wishes
Alan Smith(==D)

Cuddles
13th August 2008, 20:27
So sorry to hear of your great loss. I sailed with your father on both the Oregis and the Uncle John, I will raise a glass to him with fond memories.
Alan, ( Chief Cook/ Chief Steward)

Have only recently joined SN so please excuse this belated message of sympathy in respect of your late Father. I spent many a happy hour chatting to Ted as we sailed together on both the "Oregis" and "Uncle John".
He was one of quite a few ex fishermen who joined the "Oregis" in it's early days in the North Sea oil fields and he used to tell me some fascinating tales of life on the Fleetwood trawlers.
Last time I spoke to him he had taken his redundancy money and wanted to buy a small inshore fishing boat. Did he go back fishing?

Alan Smith
Deck Foreman/Crane Operator

Cuddles
13th August 2008, 20:30
To Mark Rogerson

Have only recently joined SN so please excuse this belated message of sympathy in respect of your late Father. I spent many a happy hour chatting to Ted as we sailed together on both the "Oregis" and "Uncle John".
He was one of quite a few ex fishermen who joined the "Oregis" in it's early days in the North Sea oil fields and he used to tell me some fascinating tales of life on the Fleetwood trawlers.
Last time I spoke to him he had taken his redundancy money and wanted to buy a small inshore fishing boat. Did he go back fishing?

Alan Smith

saltyswamp
13th August 2008, 22:25
Hi Stuart
Joined Houlder Brothers in 1980 and my first ship was Hombolt Oct 80 to Jan 81 as Galley Boy. You must of been there at same time. Can't remember names but the cook was Black and replaced later with a Irish man who would sing and play gitar. I was sea sick for almost the entire trip. Went on to sail in a number of grange ships and oil rigs left company in 85. Love to hear from any one who remembers me.
Mark Bird

Hi Mark can't say i can remember you but chiefy stew was leo hanahan and c/e was bo bo Brinkley
regards stuart

markrogerson
28th August 2008, 21:38

Alan Smith

hi there,yes he did go back fishing and ended up with two boats,if you google "NORTHFLEET FD226" images you will see a photo of his boat,not quite what you guys are used to working on,but he loved it,cheers

gazza
31st August 2008, 09:34
Hi Ian
I joined up with houlder bros in 1975 my 1st ship was the Mable Warwick..then Faraday 76 Lynton Grange 76 Hardwick Grange 77 Faraday 77 Orotava 78 Humboldt 78 Joule 79 Humboldt 79 Joule 80 Banbury 80 Hornby Grange80-81 Oroya 81 Orduna 81-82 Clerk Maxwell 82 beacon Grange 83.. joined as cat boy then Steward and finished up as 2nd Stwd.. best thing that i have ever done..Gary Meadows..

deturf
31st August 2008, 16:30
Hi Sailed a 5th eng on Oratava Bridge in early 70's after 6 weeks lodging in Queen Victorias seamans rest & pre sea training in woolwich colledge

Joined at Immingham in mid December & did 3 northabout trips to Sept Isles back to Teesport. then anchoring off to repair splits in ballast tanks

Dave Stephenson Shildon

non descript
31st August 2008, 16:31
Dave, a warm welcome to you on your first posting - enjoy the site (Thumb)

deturf
31st August 2008, 16:35
Anyone know Jimmy Kelly from Whitby?

NINJA
31st August 2008, 17:17
Joined at Immingham in mid December & did 3 northabout trips to Sept Isles back to Teesport. then anchoring off to repair splits in ballast tanks

NINJA
31st August 2008, 17:19
Made a ******** of that reply.

Was also going to say when I was on the Orotava 69 and 70, everytime we visited Japan we had the welders on reairing splits in the ballast tanks.

spannerman
31st August 2008, 17:25
Hello Ian I was on the Hardwicke Grange between may & august 1968.
Trevor Vernon

non descript
31st August 2008, 17:35
Made a ******** of that reply.

Was also going to say when I was on the Orotava 69 and 70, everytime we visited Japan we had the welders on reairing splits in the ballast tanks.

Horlicks is a very fine word Ninja, and anyway your post add a little je ne sais quoi…. (Thumb)

deturf
31st August 2008, 17:35
Yea looking back at the fates of the Derbyshire Bridge & Kowloon bridge, I realise that fate has been fortunate with me

Going northabout to canada wintertime in ballast & coming back with 6 small piles (3 holds empty) of iron ore, was not really the best practice,

I know we lost steam on one trip & had to get shoreside to get the boiler going, got the last water leak in the accomodation fixed as we got back to Tees, none of the decking pipes were insulated, the boat was not kitted up for the sort of temparatures -30 that we encountered

The old man was a ex wartime russian convoy man, had been torpedoed, was ready for retirement, nice guy (any names please)

Bo-Bo was the cheif eng, anyone remember his butterflies

Sparky:- P J Speirs from Brum

3rd ENg Pete ?? from Corby

Dennis Larder
1st September 2008, 20:42
Hi Alan, it was a pleasure to see you and the rest of the boys at the UJ reunion in June. I did notice that every body had grey hair, it must be the fashion. Those that attended included Don Higham and Moira, John Mac, Robbie Burgess, Kevin Campbell, Ben Blyth, Bob Whittaker, Colin Maynard, Willie Jackson, Alex McKenzie, Ken West, Willie Brown, Mike Boland, Jerry Puckett, Malcolm Whitcher, Shaun Roach, Sam Angay, Kenny Saunders, Dave Williams, Jim Nicholson, Joe Sharkey who provided the Entertainment and serenaded my wife Ruby. John Houlder attended for one night after flying himself up from London. He is 93years old now and is now working on a new project, what an amazing man. A few of us spoke to Dai Davies who really wanted to come but was advised not to by his Doctor. He was very upset and tearful. Robbie Burgess and myself are going up to Wrexham to see him in the New Year and hopefully more of you will come. Back to the Star Pinewood Alan, I remember Ivy White Well, Captain Woolf was the Old Man and Peter Chalmers relieved him. A great crew and a good time was had by all. Remember Charlie Miller, what a character. Will be in touch and will also get the photos to you from the reunion. All the best Alan, regards Dennis

saltyswamp
2nd September 2008, 22:14

Welcome to SN Can't remember wether I sailed with you or not would have been either oswestry or upwey
regards
stuart

ChandlerBird
9th September 2008, 14:07
Have a look and see if you recognise anyone. Photos taken on Derwent 1980.

ChandlerBird
9th September 2008, 14:14
First and second photos are again on Derwent 1980. The one having his hair chopped off is Joe ?. Im the one with the black top on first photo. Third photo is on Lynton Grange 1981 big chap was the boson.

ChandlerBird
9th September 2008, 14:22
Photos of Rounton Grange in typhone of Japan 1982 and some more past ship mates. Add names to people as I have long forgotten them, sorry.

digger58
10th September 2008, 10:52
Hi Chandlerbird,
I think the man in the white t shirt,putting his tongue out is a engine room hand with the nickname blackie,came from Blackburn.
Sailed with him about 1977 on the Bulk carrier Dunster Grange
Cheers
Digger58

ChandlerBird
10th September 2008, 13:35
Hi Chandlerbird,
I think the man in the white t shirt,putting his tongue out is a engine room hand with the nickname blackie,came from Blackburn.
Sailed with him about 1977 on the Bulk carrier Dunster Grange
Cheers
Digger58

Your right his name was Blackie and worked in engine room. Its great when names can be put back to faces. He drank some as I remember.

marinero
10th September 2008, 14:21
Your right his name was Blackie and worked in engine room. Its great when names can be put back to faces. He drank some as I remember.

I sailed with Blackie on the "Cumbria". His great ambition was to see the MN nationalised and he was a firm believer in the "closed shop". I remember him advising a fellow shipmate on how to beat his knee with damp towels so as to make it swell to a great degree and thereby facilitate his pay-off.
Regards

Glyn Legge
10th September 2008, 19:19
Hi Everyone....just a quick introduction for the moment, I was with Houlders from 1973 to 76 as Junior/5th Engineer and sailed on Bidford Priory, Ocean Transport, Furness Bridge, Sir Alexander Glen, just found this site, fantastic and what nostalgia, I'll be back!

saltyswamp
10th September 2008, 22:21
welcome Glyn from sunny? Suffolk
stuart

Glyn Legge
10th September 2008, 23:52
Hi Ian....I sailed with you on the Furness Bridge in 1975 I think , you joined her in Dampier (read one of your other posts)...then on to Genoa, Livorno, Rio, I joined prior to you with Superintendant Derek Wyatt and a second engineer Robby? I was a Junior engineer at the time, I'm a little Welsh Chap, now working in the Power Industry in the Uk as a Senior Engineer (Nuclear)......you had large sideburns in those days, I seem to remember you reducing me to tears once whilst in Genoa.....brilliant times, great people and I would do it all again!

Glyn Legge
10th September 2008, 23:57
welcome Glyn from sunny? Suffolk
stuart
Hi Stuart! I've just found this site today...brilliant and such nostalgia! Thanks for the welcome!

deturf
11th September 2008, 01:01
anyone have adrink problem thru orangeeboom

Glyn Legge
11th September 2008, 16:32
Hi Ian,
I thnk you were the chief mate on the Furness Bridge in 1975 if my memory serves me right after all these years! i joined in June 1975 in Genoa as first trip deck boy. I remember the bosun was Bob Thorne from cornwall and Wee Jimmy Gilzean was master. There was an extra mate on that trip and i think his surname was Evans??. That was the trip where we had the please of several months in Rio for repairs, such a hard life when you were only 16!!
Would be interested to hear if that was you on that trip and do you remember any more names.

Regards

Dave
Hi Dave...I was on her at that time, in Genoa, Livorno and Rio, my name is Glyn Legge and I was one of the Junior Engineers...what memories! Fanatstic times....very hard work! Derek Wyatt was the engineer Superintendant, can't think of any other names at the moment, such a long time ago!

gdynia
11th September 2008, 16:49
Just seen a Isle of Man registered coaster depart Belfast called Ben Mayi she has a Houlders funnel mark

ChandlerBird
12th September 2008, 16:30
I was on Houlder Brothers container ship that went around New Zealand, Australia and north America, round trip used to take about three months. Sorry can't remember ships name. Anyway in 1983 young AB fell off ships crane in New Zealand, lad was in coma and his mum came out to be with him. Very sad occasion. A few months later letter received from his family that he was flown home but still in coma. Never did know if he recovered, any news?

non descript
12th September 2008, 18:15
Just seen a Isle of Man registered coaster depart Belfast called Ben Mayi she has a Houlders funnel mark

More details of this curiosity are to be found here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=133633)

gdynia
12th September 2008, 19:31
Cheers Mark

digger58
13th September 2008, 19:56
Hi, Chandlerbird, in the two picture`s of people sitting by the porthole in a cabin,in the right hand picture,the man with his arm on the other guy`s shoulder is a 2nd steward i sailed with in 1979 on the Hornby Grange but i can`t remember his name,sorry

digger58
13th September 2008, 21:22
Here`s some picture`s from the Hornby Grange from 1979,anybody recognise any faces? That`s me in the front of the first pic

Glyn Legge
13th September 2008, 23:43
Hi everyone, although I've previously placed a couple of posts on this site I would like to 'properly' introduce myself in the vague hope that someone remembers me. Would be brilliant to catch up with anyone who I sailed with back in the mid 70's.

My name is Glyn Legge originally from South Wales. Sailed with Houlders as J/5th Eng 1974-1976.

OK...here goes...a quick brain dump as I can't find my discharge book for the details. Some of the information may be slightly out of sinc so please forgive me.

First Ship was the Hardwicke Grange - worked along side in London for about a month in May/June 1974.

Bidford Priory - 1974 - Joined in Redcar - Nigeria and back to Middlesbrough - 3rd Eng was Dave? had his wife with him....

Ocean Transport - 1974/5 - Joined in Swansea - Liverpool - Vigo (Spain) - BA - Montevideo - Rosario - BA - uk. Spent Chrismas 74 on board - Can remember a first trip Female Cadet on board - 3rd eng was a Brian Wardell I think. Also can remember an American/Canadian 5th Eng.

Furness Bridge - 1975 - Joined in Capetown with Superintendant Derek Wyatt and a junior 2nd eng Robbie? - Dampier - Genoa - Livorno - Rio. Ian MacDonald was the C/O.

Sir Alexander Glen - Joined In the Gulf - Mina Al Ahmadi (not sure if thats the correct spelling?) Japan - Capetown.....Eng Cadet Malcolm Lidstone-Green - Another Malcolm and Dave 3rd engineers...should know thier surnames but can't remember...came to my wedding in July 1976. C/E had a French surname, first mane was Ricky?

Oregis??? - Joined ore carrier in Aug 76 in Portalbot - Just can't remember her name - Middlsborough - Narvik - Hamburgh? - uk.

Ring any bells?????

Thanks

Glyn Legge. PS I'll attempt to post some various photos later.

ChandlerBird
14th September 2008, 09:20
Hi, Chandlerbird, in the two picture`s of people sitting by the porthole in a cabin,in the right hand picture,the man with his arm on the other guy`s shoulder is a 2nd steward i sailed with in 1979 on the Hornby Grange but i can`t remember his name,sorry

I think his name was Paul, but not sure. I know he was from London and went on to work for Houlder Off Shore on the High Seas Driller during the mid 80's.

Susan Randall
16th September 2008, 16:22
Dear all,

Some of you may (or may not) remember a post I made some months ago seeking anyone who may remember my father Ian Randall who served with Houlders in the late 1950s. Since my last post I have managed to find an old photo album with some annotations by my father which may help to identify some of the crew he served with.
I would be grateful if anyone who knows anything about the following people could let me have some information - e.g. names of ships and especially memories of my father.

K. Roberts
B. Reed (Brian?)
N. Stevenson
A. Williams
A. Vomel
D. Macleod
C. Loader
K. Roberts
N. Holkham
T. Clark (3rd Engineer)
J. Davra (5th Engineer)

Locations:
Bushire, Iran
Khorramshar, Iran
Abadan
Kuwait
Karhgistan passing Basrah
Kwinana
Yanchep
Roleystone
(apologies for any misspellings or errors in location, I'm relying on his knowledge which may be dated.)

He also mentions the MV Warora off Muscat.

If any of this rings any bells I'd love to hear from you.
Many thanks,
Susan

jmcg
18th September 2008, 05:11
Hope this Houlder Bros thread is as successful as the Blue Funnel thread. Essential reading and great nostalgia.

BW

J

non descript
18th September 2008, 08:06
Hi everyone, although I've previously placed a couple of posts on this site I would like to 'properly' introduce myself in the vague hope that someone remembers me. Would be brilliant to catch up with anyone who I sailed with back in the mid 70's.

My name is Glyn Legge originally from South Wales. Sailed with Houlders as J/5th Eng 1974-1976.

OK...here goes...a quick brain dump as I can't find my discharge book for the details. Some of the information may be slightly out of sinc so please forgive me.

Ocean Transport - 1974/5 - Joined in Swansea - Liverpool - Vigo (Spain) - BA - Montevideo - Rosario - BA - uk. Spent Chrismas 74 on board - Can remember a first trip Female Cadet on board - 3rd eng was a Brian Wardell I think. Also can remember an American/Canadian 5th Eng.

Oregis??? - Joined ore carrier in Aug 76 in Portalbot - Just can't remember her name - Middlsborough - Narvik - Hamburgh? - uk.

Ring any bells?????

Thanks

Glyn Legge. PS I'll attempt to post some various photos later.

Hi Glyn

That is an excellent list and I am sure that it will trigger a few good replies – The Ocean Transport was a fine, if not unique, ship and even has the honour of being the object of a quiz on here. The very last ship you mention might have a small hiccup in the dates, for whilst she was still around in 1976, she was by that time converted to off-shore work. She passed from Houlders (Ore Carriers Ltd) to Houlders Offshore Ltd at the time of her conversion, arriving at the River Tyne 06-04-73 and by 23-10-75 had become once again Oregis (after briefly having the unimaginative name of HTS COUPLER 1. Maybe it was another ship, a bulker carrier maybe as you do mention Port Talbot, which by that year was using the larger, outside, berth and these small ore-carriers were history?

Kind regards
Mark

dranny May
21st September 2008, 14:11

Hello Ian.

With Houlders 1962 - 1966.
Orepton, joined Irlam MSC.
Clutha River, 1962-63.
Thorpe Grange, 1963-64.
Royston Grange, 1964-65.
Hornby Grange, (apples from Tasmania) 1966.

best wishes - dranny MAY.

Dave Meech
23rd September 2008, 14:21
Hi Dave...I was on her at that time, in Genoa, Livorno and Rio, my name is Glyn Legge and I was one of the Junior Engineers...what memories! Fanatstic times....very hard work! Derek Wyatt was the engineer Superintendant, can't think of any other names at the moment, such a long time ago!

Hi Glyn, I am the same trying to remember names etc, but yer you were right fantastic times but what a work up, more so for you down below with the engine problems. i have somewhere a couple of photos from genoa and Rio, I will put the on here to reminfd you of the good old days! If i can remember names i will let you know. Wee Jimmy Gilzean was master and Ian Macdonald was mate. Chief steward was Leo hannon who is on here. Bob Thorne was bosun, Ill try to remember more.
Take care glyn

Dave

glenncraig
7th October 2008, 18:33
I was on Houlder Brothers container ship that went around New Zealand, Australia and north America, round trip used to take about three months. Sorry can't remember ships name. Anyway in 1983 young AB fell off ships crane in New Zealand, lad was in coma and his mum came out to be with him. Very sad occasion. A few months later letter received from his family that he was flown home but still in coma. Never did know if he recovered, any news?

HI I think the name of the ship could have been the Dunedin but not 100%
Glenn

glenncraig
7th October 2008, 18:49
hi my name is Glenn and joined the dreaded Furness Withy in NOV 1982 and the fist ship I was on was the Humbolt and done 2 six month trips and left in DEC 1983 to join the Manchester Challenge then the Oropesa which was sold a week later to Ben Line. After that I went back to tha Manchester Challenge then moved onto the Canadian Explorer for 4 months. I then joined the Clerk Maxwell in Swansea in JAN 85 and left in Naples in July. I was then introduced to the Uncle John and had a great time there but only for 3 weeks and then was pulled from that and flown to Manila to join the Pacific Peace in Legaspi. I then managed to get back on the Uncle John after a quick trip on the Orelia. I left the company in Sept 86 and ended up on the ferries from Larne to stranraer then up to Aberdeen To work on the St Sunniva for P&O but had to come ashore when the baby was born. I've loved this site and will be back. Thanks for the memories Glenn

non descript
7th October 2008, 19:47
Hi Glenn and on the occasion of your first day of posting a very warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the Site and I trust if gives you many hours and indeed years of happy times. Do enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings.

As a proper Houlders person I can quite understand your choice of words to describe your actual employers… (Jester) (we all feel the same even if we feel duty bound to say nothing (EEK) ) and at least you found some proper Maltese Cross ships to work on as well.

I suspect the Dunedin is indeed the ship your refer to, she ran alongside the “Willowbank” of Bank Line and the “New Zealand Caribbean” of NZ Shipping Corporation in the joint service from the USA to Australasia.
(Thumb)
Mark

deturf
24th October 2008, 00:36
Tonga

Why do you use the phrase " proper choice of words" we all know we had a job to do & the potential consequences that went with it, I am still married to the same girl who camped out at Issac Hill waiting for my ship to come in!!

Lets get the thread going again, it was what it was, some of them North Shields second cooks (breadmakers) have a lot to answer for

Dave

non descript
24th October 2008, 08:18
Dave,

I can see that whilst unintentional I have somehow upset you - for that I apologise.

One of the major disadvantages of text as a means of communication, is the risk that a word or phrase can be taken the wrong way. Of course that can also happen with the spoken word, but generally the expression on one's face reassures the other party of one's real intent. As an example, I guess even the phrase “have a nice day” can mean different things depending on where the emphasis lies.. (Jester)

You, appear to be upset about me using the phrase "proper choice of words" and you qualify it with the fact that ‘we had a job to do’ … Unfortunately, notwithstanding your added words, I have to confess to being a bit lost on what I have done wrong? (EEK)

When Glenn joined the Site, I posted what I thought was a warm and friendly welcome (much in the same way as I went to the trouble to spot your own initial posting a while back, on 31st August 2008 and welcome you to the Site). - In his case, having seen from his profile and his comment that he was ex Houlders, and his first ship was a proper Houlder Brother Gas Tanker - and a pressure ship at that - I was mildly amused to see him use the phrase “and joined the dreaded Furness Withy in NOV 1982” … I homed in on it, as those of us who were Houlders Brothers from their first day at sea, tend to poke a little fun at FW and there is still a pleasant, but very good natured rivalry between a Houlders man and an FW employee; the fact that Houlders was swallowed up by FW, who then promptly lost the entire company to Tung, possibly makes it something more likely to remain as an ongoing rift, than to smooth the troubled waters; but that is another story.(EEK)

Hence on seeing Glenn’s choice of words to describe FW, I was only too happy to use the moment to do what I thought he was doing and have a small joke at FW’s expense, after all Glenn had shown a wry sense of humour himself.

So there we are, clearly a mild and what I thought was a faintly humorous dig at “Those beggars Furness Withy” as one octogenarian of my acquaintance calls them, has caused offence, I am sorry.

Hopefully you will see from the slightly lengthy reply, that being rude about people is really not my style, and to be anything other than supportive of anyone who take the trouble to join SN and to contribute to the what many regard as the best Site around by far, would be very wrong.

I was not aware that I had actually stopped the thread from going, but given your words, I would trust that having taken the time to explain, maybe it, and us, are back on course.
(Thumb)
Mark

Grymauch
24th October 2008, 14:55

Glyn, this could have been the Orotava. I joined that ship in approx July 1976 in Middlesborough, sailed to Port Talbot, Narvik (interesting force 11 encountered on leaving Narvik), Canada during the Montreal Olympics, and finally drydocked in Hamburg late Aug or early Sept. I paid off there with a Junior Engineer (wouldn't be you would it??). Can recall the pair of us jumped onto the train to the airport in a second class compartment to be told by the train guard we should have been in 1st class! We could not be arsed to lug our cases the length of the train.

I may have got the sequence of ports wrong, my memory is shot!

Let me know if this rings a bell.

Jon

non descript
24th October 2008, 15:26
Glyn, this could have been the Orotava. I joined that ship in approx July 1976 in Middlesborough, sailed to Port Talbot, Narvik (interesting force 11 encountered on leaving Narvik), Canada during the Montreal Olympics, and finally drydocked in Hamburg late Aug or early Sept. I paid off there with a Junior Engineer (wouldn't be you would it??). Can recall the pair of us jumped onto the train to the airport in a second class compartment to be told by the train guard we should have been in 1st class! We could not be arsed to lug our cases the length of the train.

I may have got the sequence of ports wrong, my memory is shot!

Let me know if this rings a bell.

Jon

Jon,

Well done -that is very likely and I was struggling in # 391 to work out which ship it could be.

(Thumb)
Mark

tanker
25th October 2008, 15:20
On sea trials -Hawthorn leslie Built N.U.Tyne 1962-IMO:5260605-ELLION HOPE 80-BU Gadani Beach 27-2-83.
Gp

non descript
25th October 2008, 18:09
Thanks Tanker, she was named after the Owner's name combined with that of his Mum... Elli and Ion, and the Hope that she might make then a great deal of money (which she did). (Jester)

lennoxgordon
25th October 2008, 21:44
hello
anybody used to work in kentings and houlder marine oil rigs in 80's
cheers

non descript
26th October 2008, 01:03
hello
cheers

Lennox, warm welcome to you on your first posting. Thank you for joining the community: enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. - You will find a whole help of Maltese Cross folk here. (Thumb)

Bombersman
26th October 2008, 09:12
On sea trials -Hawthorn leslie Built N.U.Tyne 1962-IMO:5260605-ELLION HOPE 80-BU Gadani Beach 27-2-83.
This was probably the vessel on the stocks at the time that the "Linkmoor" was launched and the "Clymene" went on sea trials.
Alan Lowery (later C/E) and I, would often have a good look around the various vessels when our alloted work was completed during quiet overtime hours towards the end of serving our time at hawthorn Leslies.

ALAN TYLER
26th October 2008, 14:55
hello
cheers

Hi there, I worked offshore for Houlders from 1975 to 1986. starting with the Oregis (H.T.S. Coupler 1) then Uncle John, K.U.K. Shelf Driller and finishing on the Bay Driller. I was a chief cook then chief steward (camp boss). There is a thread for houlders offshore, though its mainly about the Uncle John.
All the Best Alan T.

lennoxgordon
26th October 2008, 20:26
anyone works in houlder marine or kentings in 1980's as a roughnecks or any department. nice to hear from you!
thanks

lennoxgordon
26th October 2008, 20:58
hi! my husband worked offshore for houlder marine from 1978 to 1986. on their land rigs till 1980. and then offshore from 1980-86. offshore he worked on the shelf driller. morecombe flame, high seas driller. K.N UK and Dundee uk. as a roughneck and then as a H.L.O. his name is len lennox-gordon. good experience as i didn't start in the oil business untill he was 36 yrs. old. he said the chefs and stewards done a great job in looking after the rest of the workers. one christmas my husband grab few of the workers and cook and waited on the chefs, that was on the high seas driller. with the money he saved he was able to go diving off the philippines, where he met me, brought me back to england and we got married nine yrs. ago. every year we go back to the philippines for 3 months. and we have now a little 2 yrs. and 3 months baby boy. even though my husband is 67.
p.s
he worked every christmas and new year while he was in the north sea. and loved the menus

non descript
9th November 2008, 08:29
Newly joined member - AncientCanuckMariner - is getting used to the Site and its ways, and he wonders if anyone remembers the old Baronesa and Princesa. He says "he served in both, and also Dunster Grange and Holmbury a long time ago" - Looking back I can see that his fellow countryman oldbosun (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=2989&page=4) sailed on the "Princesa" in '47.

BillH
9th November 2008, 08:59
Newly joined member - AncientCanuckMariner - is getting used to the Site and its ways, and he wonders if anyone remembers the old Baronesa and Princesa. He says "he served in both, and also Dunster Grange and Holmbury a long time ago" - Looking back I can see that his fellow countryman oldbosun (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=2989&page=4) sailed on the "Princesa" in '47.
PRINCESA Refrigerated cargo.

O.N. 140585. 8705g. 5350n. 430.2 x 61.2 x 36.0 feet.
Twin T.3-cyl. (25”, 41½” & 70” x 48”) engines by J. Brown & Company Ltd, Clydebank. 14 ½ Kts

12.02.1918: Launched by Alexander Stephen & Sons Glasgow, (Yard No 467), for Furness-Houlder Argentine Lines, Liverpool. 7.1918: Completed. 7.1949: Arrived at Blyth for demolition.

DUNSTER GRANGE

O.N. 149981. 9494g. 6011n. 431.3 x 64.5 x 35.4 feet.
Twin 6-cyl. 2 SCSA (28 ½” x 39”) oil engines by the shipbuilder. 12,800BHP. 15 ½ Kts.

25.10.1927: Launched by Fairfield SB & E Co. Ltd, Glasgow, (Yard No. 622) for Houlder Line Ltd., (Houlder Brothers & Company Ltd, managers). 1.1928: Completed. 1951: Sold to P. Eriksson, Finland, and renamed VAASA. 1958: Sold to Hoyo Suisan KK, Japan, and renamed KINYO MARU. 1963: Sold to Nippon Suisan KK, Japan, and renamed YOKO MARU. 25.5.1974: Arrived Aioi for demolition.

HOLMBURY

O.N.166216. 7058g. 4871n. 431.3 x 56.3 x 35.2 feet.
T.3-cyl. (24 ½”, 39” & 70” x 48”) engine by North East Marine Engineering Co.(1938) Ltd, Newcastle.

11.11.1943: Launched as EMPIRE CANYON by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co.Ltd, Dundee (Yard No. 408) for the Ministry of War Transport (F.C. Strick & Company.Ltd, managers). 12.1943: Completed. 1946: Sold for £128,000 to Alexander Shipping Co.Ltd, Capper, Alexander & Co., managers). 1947: Renamed HOLMBURY, (Houlder Bros & Co.Ltd, managers). 1960: Sold to United Oriental Steamship Co., Pakistan for £98,000, and renamed ILYABAKSH. 12.4.1965: Detained at Bombay at the outbreak of the India/Pakistan war. 11.1966: Placed under arrest. 1970: Sold to Najabali & Co., Bombay for demolition. 10.1970: Work commenced.

BARONESA Refrigerated cargo.

O.N. 140583. 8663g. 5408n. 431.0 x 61.1 x 35.6 feet.
Twin T.3-cyl. (25”, 41½” & 70” x 48”) engines by Richardsons, Westgarth & Co.Ltd, Middlesbrough. 14 ½ Kts

29.10.1917: Launched by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co.Ltd, Middlesbrough, (Yard No 593), for Furness-Houlder Argentine Lines, Liverpool. 4.1918: Completed. 4.12.1946: Arrived at Burght, Belgium for demolition.

Bombersman
9th November 2008, 11:35
I wonder if AncientCanuckMariner ever sailed with Franky Garvock 3/E from South Shields. I am sure I remember "Owld" Franky talking about his time on the Holmbury. he was torpedoed twice in WWII

I sailed with Frank in 1961/2 on the Bidford Priory and a chief engineer called Baker. Both of tem had sailed together fomany years.

Bob.W

BillH
9th November 2008, 12:11
I wonder if AncientCanuckMariner ever sailed with Franky Garvock 3/E from South Shields. I am sure I remember "Owld" Franky talking about his time on the Holmbury. he was torpedoed twice in WWII

I sailed with Frank in 1961/2 on the Bidford Priory and a chief engineer called Baker. Both of tem had sailed together fomany years.

Bob.W
BRANDON PRIORY (1960 - 1975)

O.N. 301101. 22,735g. 12,582n. 35,703d. 683' 0" x 86' 5" x 37' 8½"
Two, steam turbines manufactured by Hawthorn, Leslie (Engineering) Ltd., Newcastle, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 15,500 shp.

Ocean going oil products tanker.
5.10.1959: Launched by Hawthorn, Leslie (Shipbuilders) Ltd., Newcastle (Yard No. 741), for Warwick Tanker Company Ltd., (Houlder Bros & Company Ltd., managers), London.
5.1960: Completed.
9.6.1975: Arrived at Castellon for demolition.

BIDFORD PRIORY (1960 - 1975)

O.N. 301242. 22,748g. 12,596n. 37,148d. 683' 2" x 86' 5" x 38' 11½"
Two, steam turbines manufactured by the shipbuilder, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 15,500 shp.

Ocean going oil products tanker.
27.4.1960: Launched by Cammell, Laird (Shipbuilders & Engineers) Ltd., Birkenhead (Yard No. 1280), for Warwick Tanker Company Ltd., (Houlder Bros & Company Ltd., managers), London.
10.1960: Completed.
29.10.1975: Arrived at Faslane for demolition by Shipbreaking Industries Ltd.

Bombersman
9th November 2008, 12:43
Two, steam turbines manufactured by Hawthorn, Leslie (Engineering) Ltd., Newcastle
Yup! I helped build 'em at St. Peters works, since pulled down and now a marina.

Bob W.

Alanclive
21st November 2008, 14:23
Alan Ruscoe I was on the Humbolt from31-8-80 to 30-1-81.
But can not put A face to your name, mark.

non descript
21st November 2008, 15:23
Alan Ruscoe I was on the Humbolt from31-8-80 to 30-1-81.
But can not put A face to your name, mark.

Alan,
In believe it was before your time, as I would have been on the Humboldt in 73/74 - my last trip with Houlders was the Gaz Ocean LPG tanker, James Cook in 75-76 and thereafter I was at 53 Leadenhall Street as shore staff.
(Thumb)
Mark

jeraylin
10th December 2008, 13:46
It was the DUNEDIN on the BANK-SAVILL Line. The guy sadly died. He came from Tiptree in Essex. A memorial fund was set up with the local bank and I recall quite a lot of money was paid in - enough to warrant a newspaper article - I think it was the "ESSEX Standard" you could try looking on their website.

ChandlerBird
10th December 2008, 18:55
It was the DUNEDIN on the BANK-SAVILL Line. The guy sadly died. He came from Tiptree in Essex. A memorial fund was set up with the local bank and I recall quite a lot of money was paid in - enough to warrant a newspaper article - I think it was the "ESSEX Standard" you could try looking on their website.

Remember the sad occasion. He fell from the crain onto the close hatch cover about 10pm. Crew realey upset, as most were ashore and found out on their return in the early hours. One quick way to sober up. Thanks for the info, will search the paper and post article when I find it.

tzapha
12th December 2008, 14:23
Hi to you all!
I came across this website purely by accident and reading some of the posts in The Forum has certainly stirred “the old grey matter”.
My name is Con Rooney and I joined Houlder Lines in the latter part of 1960 as Fifth Engineer and was appointed to M.V. Westbury. She was under construction at that time by The Burntisland Shipbuilding Company at their Burntisland Shipyard.
The Chief Engineer was Mr. Randolph Howard. The second engineer was from Wales (the name escapes me at the moment but I sailed with him in later years when he was Chief Engineer on m/v Clydebridge and I was now Third Engineer). On Westbury’s maiden voyage, and before delivery from the shipbuilders, one of the ore carriers was in need of a Second Engineer so our Third Engineer obtained a “dispensation” and went to the ore carrier, resulting in our Fourth Engineer (Barry Poole) being promoted to Third Engineer.
Electrician was Tom Slevin (Kirkcaldy)
I remained on Westbury for a couple of years - running from Bristol Channel ports to South America (Montevideo, Buenos Aires, Rosario, Asuncion, Buenos Aires) and Liverpool, via Sao Vicente for bunkers both on the way out and the way home for a couple of years. One of the deck cadets was Roy Southgate (Gentleman Jim!) Voyages averaged 4 to 4 ½ months.
My next appointment (on leaving Westbury as Fourth Engineer) was as Third Engineer on m.v Oregis. Where the Chief Engineer was Mr. Brian Ward.
I remained with the ore carrier fleet (Oregis; Oredian; Oremina) till I had completed my seatime for a Second Class Certificate of Competence.
After spending time in the ore carriers, I was quite looking forward to another appointment there after obtaining my Second Class Certificate of Competence so imagine my consternation when, after obtaining my exam results, Mr. Batchelor phoned me with the greeting “Congratulations, Mr. Rooney. We are now promoting you to Second engineer on the Abadesa”. Gobsmacked. I replied “But…but that’s a tanker”! “Oh, we know it’s a tanker, Mr. Rooney” said he, tongue in cheek. Anyway, I joined the Abadesa (Chief Engineer Tony Haagensen) and had many return appointments there, in fact it was quite common after the expiry of my leave that I’d be appointed to an ore carrier as a “stop-gap” till the Abadesa would be in need of a Second Engineer again. It was during one of these tours of duty on the Abadesa that Bill Robson (Mr. Robson, in those days!) arrived. It has been mentioned elsewhere in these threads that Mr. Hill (Bernard) was Mr. Robson’s cousin but I think Mr. Hill was not a blood relative of Bill Robson’s but in fact was a cousin of Bill’s wife. Anyway, it suited my ribbing of Bill when I would remind him that “with an uncle of his in the office, he was being groomed for stardom!” This used to irritate him without fail, which of course was gris to the mill.
I well recall Mr. Robson’s “counseling” me regarding my use of “descriptive adjectives” when directing the engine room staff during the overhaul of a unit at sea and before you say “all adjectives are descriptive” believe me, in the engine room, some adjectives are more descriptive than others!
Later on, Bill did go into the office as a Superintendent and we met up again when he came on board m.v. Oregis whilst I was Second Engineer there.
At that time, we’d been out for quite a time and stores were running low and we were almost out of pigmy/running lights. Coincidently we had an earth on the main supply line to the windlass, which was going to be repaired at the forthcoming dry-dock and in the meantime I’d put a “good” bulb in the earth lamp on the main board indicating the earth and, rather than leave an empty socket I stuck an old bulb into it. At least we’d have indication if anyone put the breaker for the windlass in!
After leading the super (Bill) on his tour of the engine room, we came upon the switchboard, with the earth lamp burning brightly. Bill looked at the earth lamp, looked at me then the earth lamp again and once more looked at me – obviously expecting a reaction. Does that bright light concern you? I asked cheekily. “It certainly does” he replied and, with that I swapped the two bulbs over……..no light! And carried on with the engine room tour. Well, I thought he was going to explode! I then explained that we knew there was an earth on the cable on deck and were using the only good lamp as a means of reminding ourselves that the power to the windlass was ON.
Later in my career he was the superintendent in dry-dock when I joined the Cerinthus as Junior Second Engineer.
Others that I’ve sailed with included : Harold Pugh (C/E); Johnny Mulligan (Master); Bob Kirkby (Electrician and later as 3/E); Rory McGruery (3/E Abadesa); Pat Cafferty (C/E Clydebridge); David Luff (Master Abadesa);
Captains S. Jackson (Abadesa) and N. Smith (Cerinthus); Captains R. Leach and G.Spong (orecarriers); . Jackie Scotland (3/E); Jimmy Grey (Dispensation 2/E and later as Deck Engineer on the original Stolt Tudor – formerly Tudor Prince); George Bruce (3/E Abadesa and ore carriers)
All these names have to be recalled from memory as, after leaving Houlders in 1972 I was involved in a fire on a tanker in dry-dock in Birkenhead (m.t. Marland) where the complete aft accommodation was burnt out and I lost my Discharge Book and my Identity book. In those days, sailing on “foreign flagged” vessels and the Shipping Federation Office in Leith refused – point blank- to issue me with a replacement Discharge Book unless I was prepared to sign a statement to the fact that I was prepared to return to a British Company. Changed days!!
Anybody out there remember me?? (or want to admit to remembering me!)
I retired in February 2000 and now reside with my wife in Cape Town.

R58484956
12th December 2008, 14:36
Greetings tzapha and a warm welcome to SN on your first and very interesting first posting. You have a good memory for names/ranks. Enjoy the site and all that goes with it. Bon voyage.

K urgess
12th December 2008, 15:55
Welcome to the crew, Con.
I see you've sailed on the world's favourite tanker so you'll fit in well.
Off the cuff my link is that I was on Cerinthus for the second half of 1973. (Thumb)
Enjoy the trip.

notnila
12th December 2008, 23:21
Hi Con,
Don't suppose you'll remember me.Gingerbeers Steward in the Abadesa,the trip when your wife and son Paul flew home from the Gulf.The boy will be getting big now!!!
Archie from Leven

MARINEJOCKY
13th December 2008, 00:10
This was probably the vessel on the stocks at the time that the "Linkmoor" was launched and the "Clymene" went on sea trials.
Alan Lowery (later C/E) and I, would often have a good look around the various vessels when our alloted work was completed during quiet overtime hours towards the end of serving our time at hawthorn Leslies.

I sailed with Alan Lowery on the Cavendish from my time on there as a junior to 2nd and even took over one time from him when Alan's wife was rushed to hospital and I sailed as chief for a couple of weeks.

Do you know what happened to Alan as I lost touch with him.

MARINEJOCKY
13th December 2008, 00:18
Hi to you all!
I came across this website purely by accident and reading some of the posts in The Forum has certainly stirred “the old grey matter”.
My name is Con Rooney and I joined Houlder Lines in the latter part of 1960 as Fifth Engineer and was appointed to M.V. Westbury. She was under construction at that time by The Burntisland Shipbuilding Company at their Burntisland Shipyard.
The Chief Engineer was Mr. Randolph Howard. The second engineer was from Wales (the name escapes me at the moment but I sailed with him in later years when he was Chief Engineer on m/v Clydebridge and I was now Third Engineer). On Westbury’s maiden voyage, and before delivery from the shipbuilders, one of the ore carriers was in need of a Second Engineer so our Third Engineer obtained a “dispensation” and went to the ore carrier, resulting in our Fourth Engineer (Barry Poole) being promoted to Third Engineer.
Electrician was Tom Slevin (Kirkcaldy)
I remained on Westbury for a couple of years - running from Bristol Channel ports to South America (Montevideo, Buenos Aires, Rosario, Asuncion, Buenos Aires) and Liverpool, via Sao Vicente for bunkers both on the way out and the way home for a couple of years. One of the deck cadets was Roy Southgate (Gentleman Jim!) Voyages averaged 4 to 4 ½ months.
My next appointment (on leaving Westbury as Fourth Engineer) was as Third Engineer on m.v Oregis. Where the Chief Engineer was Mr. Brian Ward.
I remained with the ore carrier fleet (Oregis; Oredian; Oremina) till I had completed my seatime for a Second Class Certificate of Competence.
After spending time in the ore carriers, I was quite looking forward to another appointment there after obtaining my Second Class Certificate of Competence so imagine my consternation when, after obtaining my exam results, Mr. Batchelor phoned me with the greeting “Congratulations, Mr. Rooney. We are now promoting you to Second engineer on the Abadesa”. Gobsmacked. I replied “But…but that’s a tanker”! “Oh, we know it’s a tanker, Mr. Rooney” said he, tongue in cheek. Anyway, I joined the Abadesa (Chief Engineer Tony Haagensen) and had many return appointments there, in fact it was quite common after the expiry of my leave that I’d be appointed to an ore carrier as a “stop-gap” till the Abadesa would be in need of a Second Engineer again. It was during one of these tours of duty on the Abadesa that Bill Robson (Mr. Robson, in those days!) arrived. It has been mentioned elsewhere in these threads that Mr. Hill (Bernard) was Mr. Robson’s cousin but I think Mr. Hill was not a blood relative of Bill Robson’s but in fact was a cousin of Bill’s wife. Anyway, it suited my ribbing of Bill when I would remind him that “with an uncle of his in the office, he was being groomed for stardom!” This used to irritate him without fail, which of course was gris to the mill.
I well recall Mr. Robson’s “counseling” me regarding my use of “descriptive adjectives” when directing the engine room staff during the overhaul of a unit at sea and before you say “all adjectives are descriptive” believe me, in the engine room, some adjectives are more descriptive than others!
Later on, Bill did go into the office as a Superintendent and we met up again when he came on board m.v. Oregis whilst I was Second Engineer there.
At that time, we’d been out for quite a time and stores were running low and we were almost out of pigmy/running lights. Coincidently we had an earth on the main supply line to the windlass, which was going to be repaired at the forthcoming dry-dock and in the meantime I’d put a “good” bulb in the earth lamp on the main board indicating the earth and, rather than leave an empty socket I stuck an old bulb into it. At least we’d have indication if anyone put the breaker for the windlass in!
After leading the super (Bill) on his tour of the engine room, we came upon the switchboard, with the earth lamp burning brightly. Bill looked at the earth lamp, looked at me then the earth lamp again and once more looked at me – obviously expecting a reaction. Does that bright light concern you? I asked cheekily. “It certainly does” he replied and, with that I swapped the two bulbs over……..no light! And carried on with the engine room tour. Well, I thought he was going to explode! I then explained that we knew there was an earth on the cable on deck and were using the only good lamp as a means of reminding ourselves that the power to the windlass was ON.
Later in my career he was the superintendent in dry-dock when I joined the Cerinthus as Junior Second Engineer.
Others that I’ve sailed with included : Harold Pugh (C/E); Johnny Mulligan (Master); Bob Kirkby (Electrician and later as 3/E); Rory McGruery (3/E Abadesa); Pat Cafferty (C/E Clydebridge); David Luff (Master Abadesa);
Captains S. Jackson (Abadesa) and N. Smith (Cerinthus); Captains R. Leach and G.Spong (orecarriers); . Jackie Scotland (3/E); Jimmy Grey (Dispensation 2/E and later as Deck Engineer on the original Stolt Tudor – formerly Tudor Prince); George Bruce (3/E Abadesa and ore carriers)
All these names have to be recalled from memory as, after leaving Houlders in 1972 I was involved in a fire on a tanker in dry-dock in Birkenhead (m.t. Marland) where the complete aft accommodation was burnt out and I lost my Discharge Book and my Identity book. In those days, sailing on “foreign flagged” vessels and the Shipping Federation Office in Leith refused – point blank- to issue me with a replacement Discharge Book unless I was prepared to sign a statement to the fact that I was prepared to return to a British Company. Changed days!!
Anybody out there remember me?? (or want to admit to remembering me!)
I retired in February 2000 and now reside with my wife in Cape Town.

I live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida not far from Bill Robson & forwarded your posting to him asking him if that brought back memories. I will let you know. We called Mr Hill, "Benny" but never to his face and he was Bill's cousin and retired to a small Northumbrian village not far from where Bill and I both came from. That was in the North Tyne area. I got some stick as well as some in the company thought Bill & I were related and he was a super' with Hadleys at the time I joined Houlders in the early 70's. Bill's cousin was my fathers best friend from their school days and I called him uncle so people assumed Bill was related.

non descript
13th December 2008, 08:52
Con Rooney (tzapha) that’s a fine recollection of Houlders’ days – well done and several names are very familiar. It is interesting that you recall Roy Southgate (as deck cadet in those far off days) he went on to gain his command in almost record time. Yes, Bill Robson was (and still is) a decent man, typical Houlders, loyal and very hard working. I see, as my colleague has observed, you served on the "world’s favourite tanker’’ and whilst I did not, I did share the Oregis, but I fear not at the same time.
(Thumb)
Mark

Bombersman
13th December 2008, 10:14
With reference to Alan Lowery, Marinejocky asked: -

I am sorry to say that I also lost touch with Al after coming ashore in 1966. Al stayed at sea a lot longer than me judging by some of the posts here.

He lived only a mile or so away from where I live now in Walkerville, a one time retreat of merchant navy officers. The man next door had a square rig master’s ticket but is now sadly deceased.

Kind regards

Bob

MARINEJOCKY
13th December 2008, 11:14
With reference to Alan Lowery, Marinejocky asked: -

I am sorry to say that I also lost touch with Al after coming ashore in 1966. Al stayed at sea a lot longer than me judging by some of the posts here.

He lived only a mile or so away from where I live now in Walkerville, a one time retreat of merchant navy officers. The man next door had a square rig master’s ticket but is now sadly deceased.

Kind regards

Bob

I first sailed with Alan on the Brandon and then again on the Cavendish when he came onboard to get his diesel time. He was onboard as an extra 2nd and I think he loved it as he had no pressure on him and just got on with what he did best and that was to work. I found him to be my mentor and being a junior eng did not mind when he got me out of bed in the middle of the night just to hold a couple of bits of pipe until he tack welded them.

I started to get like him and by the time I was a second I too would be working non stop and my best days were with Alan as Chief and me as second on board the Cavendish.

The last I knew he was still living in Santos with his Brailian wife and family but I think he must of moved as a letter I sent to him was returned years after I sent it.

Do you remember Hope's fish cake factory at the end of the Walker Bridge, that was my mothers uncles place and Alan well remembered it. I had a terrible job taking fish & salmon cakes from there to Spain to join the Cavendish and to surprise Alan, I thought he was going to cry when I opened the box and showed him what I had brought. He ate them all and then got a belly ache, he blamed the spanish beer but I think it was the dozen fish cakes.

Bombersman
13th December 2008, 11:45
Do you remember Hope's fish cake factory at the end of the Walker Bridge
Sorry, but I dont remember Hopes fish cake factory although like Alan I grew up in Walker. Which Walker bridge would that be? On which road?

He ate them all and then got a belly ache, he blamed the spanish beer but I think it was the dozen fish cakes.
He would :-)

Regards

Bob

Bombersman
13th December 2008, 11:47
The last I knew he was still living in Santos with his Brailian wife and family
That is interesting and an update for me on Alan. Thank you.

Bob

tzapha
13th December 2008, 12:12
Hi Con,
Don't suppose you'll remember me.Gingerbeers Steward in the Abadesa,the trip when your wife and son Paul flew home from the Gulf.The boy will be getting big now!!!
Archie from Leven

Archie, unfortunately I don’t recall your name but you are quite correct – my wife and son Paul did fly home from the Gulf on that trip and, as you say “the boy will be big by now” He’ll be 46 in February!!!
He’s in the Metropolitan Police, in London and is due to retire in another three or four years…….how time flies!

MARINEJOCKY
13th December 2008, 18:25
Do you remember Hope's fish cake factory at the end of the Walker Bridge
Sorry, but I dont remember Hopes fish cake factory although like Alan I grew up in Walker. Which Walker bridge would that be? On which road?

He ate them all and then got a belly ache, he blamed the spanish beer but I think it was the dozen fish cakes.
He would :-)

Regards

Bob

Thinking back I seem to remember now that it was Byker Bridge & not Walker Bridge, sorry. I seem to remember there was a Domestis factory below the bridge and further up the road from the factory was the imfamous housing that I think was called the Byker wall?

Bombersman
14th December 2008, 08:16
Thinking back I seem to remember now that it was Byker Bridge & not Walker Bridge, sorry.
Yup! That makes sense now, thanks. I don't remember the fish cake factory, but the Domestos sign stands out clearly in my minds eye.

You are quite right about the Byker wall. This was built in an area where most of Hawthorn Leslie (St Peters engine works) people lived before its construction.

Alan and I worked as apprentices with these folk, some of whom were very highly skilled. I remember working with a Sep Watson, scraping the bearings on the double reduction gearing of marine turbines to ensure correct meshing of the double helical gear teeth.

Alan went to Heaton Tech then commenced his apprenticeship in 1956 where I first met him. We were to be good friends for the next ten years. I sailed on sea trials on the “Clymene” and had hoped to sail on this superb vessel but was transferred on my first day with Houlders to the “Brandon Priory” as mentioned in some of my earlier posts. I had jumped the gun a bit; as Alan and a fellow apprentice called Ernie Cherry joined Houlders a few weeks later and had their first trip on the “Clymene”

Spring backed labyrinth glands were also developed at Hawthorns and I was involved with this as well, imagine my delight when taking my seconds tickets to come across a question on labyrinth glands. This was carried on in the orals taken at Hull, where the examiner showed great interest in my involvement and made the orals an interesting time for both of us.

I don't remember if Alan Lowery was in the east end erecting shop where the turbines were assembled, but he was definitely in the west end erecting shop where the doxfords were assembled. If my memory serves me right, Alan was on nights with an old fitter on permanent nights who would constantly chew tobacco and at bait time would move the tobacco to one side of his mouth and proceed to eat a raw onion.

Kind regards

Bob

malachy
14th December 2008, 20:21
One for the engine room boys. Theres a name that I just cant just get right,who was a motor chief/2nd whom I think did his steam time on the Cerinthus,and the name "EV" keeps coming to mind.

vinny

vasco
15th December 2008, 03:26
It was Eric V Partington.

I last saw him 15+ years ago on the Rathkyle. We did not recognise each other. He introduced himself as Eric, we chatted for a while and as he was leaving "I said see you later Ev" he asked why I called him that as it was an old nickname. Then the penny dropped.

Last I heard he had an heart op and was moving to a meddy island, Cyprus/corsica.

I hope is still around to enjoy his retirement, great guy to sail with.

His picture is here http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=95028 right picture in middle at back with tache.

vasco

non descript
15th December 2008, 07:45
It was Eric V Partington.

vasco

Well done Sir, excellent result (Thumb)

Cuddles
19th December 2008, 15:59
Hi Dennis
Sorry for the belated thanks in providing the names I had forgotten, namely Captains Woolf and Chalmers. Thanks also of reminding me of Charlie Miller he certainly was a character. I spoke to Dai Davies about two months ago and, as you said, he was most dissappointed at not being able to attend the UJ reunion, but despite his poor health he certainly maintains his great sense of humour. I exchange an email with Kevin Campbell every now and again.
Thanks for your Xmas Card.
All the best
Alan

B.Bass
20th December 2008, 04:36
I relieved Kevin Campbell in Yokohama and was on board when the Pinewood ran aground off Vancouver.When we got back to the U.K. she was sold to the Fred Olsen line which ended a great experience on a great ship with many good shipmates.

jmd999
10th January 2009, 14:07
Hi all,

What a great site. Am hoping to find some of you who sailed with my dad Fred Ditty he was an engineer with Houlder Bros for some years from 63. His ships included Joya Mccance (both of them), Clydesdale/Clydebridge, chelwood/oswestry grange, Sholt Stuart, Sir John Hunter, Orelia, Oregis, Tewkesbury, Shaftsbury, Ocean Transport, Royston Grange, Clerk-Maxwell. I dont have dates but will update them later plus any ships I have missed out.

My mum and I had the privilege of joining him on the Clydebridge (3 times I think) between 69 and 72 and on the Oswestry Grange when she was going back and forth between Grangemouth and Holland. A couple of names I know he sailed with are Chris Olsen and Iain Cranston.

Would love to hear from anyone who can remember him.

Jennifer

Tiger1
11th January 2009, 14:13
Hi I am searching for anyone who sailed on m.v.Queensbury from May 1954 till March 1956. My husband Kenneth Collins who died in 2005 was Chief Electrician on this ship I have his Log Book with dates and I take it that it is his Captain W Jaidler who signed his discharged book when he decided to come ashore. Would aprreciate to hear from anyone who knew Ken. Best wishes, Happy New Year. Jean Collins

David Williams
12th January 2009, 14:55
Hi Everybody.
Im hoping that someone out there will be
able to help me.Im trying to collect buttons
of every Shipping Company I sailed with.One
of the Companies Im short of is Houlder Bros.
Im hoping that one of you may have a button
that they need to get rid of,or maybe advise me
as to where I can obtain one.For what its worth,
I was on just the one ship,the Orelia out from Port
Talbot to North Africa and Narvik and Irlam on the
Manchester Ship Canal.I can also be contacted via Private Message in the first instance

Dave Williams(R583900)

non descript
12th January 2009, 16:56
Dave, let's hope someone can assist you - I will take a look, but I fear the turtles have been using my uniform for swimming in, and the buttons have all dropped of in the surf.

In passing my apologies for the edit, it was nothing personal, but the Site Policy dictates that personal email addresses are not pubished.
(Thumb)
Mark

marinero
12th January 2009, 17:03
Hi Everybody.
Im hoping that someone out there will be
able to help me.Im trying to collect buttons
of every Shipping Company I sailed with.One
of the Companies Im short of is Houlder Bros.
Im hoping that one of you may have a button
that they need to get rid of,or maybe advise me
as to where I can obtain one.For what its worth,
I was on just the one ship,the Orelia out from Port
Talbot to North Africa and Narvik and Irlam on the
Manchester Ship Canal.I can also be contacted via Private Message in the first instance

Dave Williams(R583900)
Hi dave.
Have sent a PM to you to arrange posting the item you require.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

non descript
12th January 2009, 17:49
Hi dave.
Have sent a PM to you to arrange posting the item you require.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

Leo, you are a star (Applause)

duquesa
12th January 2009, 19:28
Whew!! That saved me a rummage through the attic.

ALAN TYLER
13th January 2009, 14:49
Hi all,

What a great site. Am hoping to find some of you who sailed with my dad Fred Ditty he was an engineer with Houlder Bros for some years from 63. His ships included Joya Mccance (both of them), Clydesdale/Clydebridge, chelwood/oswestry grange, Sholt Stuart, Sir John Hunter, Orelia, Oregis, Tewkesbury, Shaftsbury, Ocean Transport, Royston Grange, Clerk-Maxwell. I dont have dates but will update them later plus any ships I have missed out.

My mum and I had the privilege of joining him on the Clydebridge (3 times I think) between 69 and 72 and on the Oswestry Grange when she was going back and forth between Grangemouth and Holland. A couple of names I know he sailed with are Chris Olsen and Iain Cranston.

Jennifer
Hi Jennifer, I sailed on the Clyde Bridge in 1969/70 as Chief Cook and I,m sure your dad was on at the same time. No offence but the name Ditty sticks in my fading memory, I think he was 3rd engineer at the time, sorry its so brief but I,m sure theres plenty more on the site who will remember your dad.

David Menzies
16th January 2009, 21:20
I have been looking at the Houlder threads. Captain Belton did a relief trip on there Oregis to Vitoria, Brazil. From memory he used to write some articles in the Houlder Magazine " The maltese cross comes to...................
I was put on the bridge with my trusty brownie 127 camera to take some pictures entering the harbour. These now make an intersting contrast to views in the Archway video Brazilian voyage showing a large bridge in this area.
Another is Captain Smailes who was captain on my first ship the Duquessa in April 1959. I sailed 3 trips on her before joining the Newbury late in 1959 with Captain Taylor.
It would be wonderful if Houlder crew lists for the fleet exist & somehow be posted so that more memories could be stirred.
Dave Menzies.

evan.jones
19th January 2009, 16:44
Hi all,

Jennifer
yeah i remember fred i was a junior eng on the clerk-maxwell bet dec 1968 and june 1970 happy days ba/states/aussie /port kembla etc

chadders
26th January 2009, 21:22
Hi, I sailed with your father when he was Third Engineer on the Chelwood in 1973, I was the Third Mate at the time. I remember him as a bit of a character.

Zoe Finn
30th January 2009, 17:21
I am trying to locate some info about MV Queensbury. My Uncle was a member of the crew in 1965. His name was William (Bill) Joseph Westhead. He became ill on the ship whilst it was near to Brazil, about Sep 1965, and was taken ashore at Victoria. He died at Sau Paulo. Does anyone remember Bill and any information of where he was buried, plus does anyone know of where the ships logs and company information might be kept so I can investigate further. My intention is to locate the grave to visit but as you can imagine there are many grave yards and the ones I have checked around Sau Paulo have all come back with a negative result.

non descript
30th January 2009, 17:32
Zoe, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community - and making an initial posting, although I am sorry to find it is a difficult one for you. Hopefully some of our members can assist with news, in the meantime do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course, with maybe some news of your success.
(Thumb)
Mark

jmd999
2nd February 2009, 10:36
Hi, I sailed with your father when he was Third Engineer on the Chelwood in 1973, I was the Third Mate at the time. I remember him as a bit of a character.
He still is a bit of a character! I'm sure I have only heard the tamer stories.

jmd999
2nd February 2009, 10:46
yeah i remember fred i was a junior eng on the clerk-maxwell bet dec 1968 and june 1970 happy days ba/states/aussie /port kembla etc
Thanks evan, all stories welcome - wind him up a bit.

howardb
5th February 2009, 20:32
Hi all I am Howard Bowden an ex houlder brothers cadet and 3rd mate. Joined may 1974 joined CLYMENE in abadan then went to STOLT SPAN, FARADAY, HUMBOLDT, ( Up the kiel Canal to Riga )UPWEY GRANGE, MEDIC, LORDKELVIN promoted and Then joined HORNBY GRANGE in Belfast, new ship ,18 hours out Crankcase explosion then long trip on 5 legs to Curacao for repairs. After that trip The Humboldt in and out of Lake Maracaibo in Venezuala. then back to the HORNBY Couple of trips on her also went on to Elstree Grange with Ann My wife, Then onto the BLACK MAX ( Clerk Maxwell) hat parties & lots of singing EL PASO there another trip on Hornby Grange then last two years to 1985 was on CANADIAN EXPLORER apart from 2 months on the DART BRITAIN Joined Police in 1985 been there to date. I would welcome any messages from anyone that remembers me.

ex engineer
7th February 2009, 19:39
Hello,as new boy to this site let me introduce myself . Frank Clay ,I sailed with Houlders from 1966 to1973 . Istarted as 4th Eng and sailed on the following Oredian,Hornby Grange,Avogadro Shaftesbury Mabel Warwick Clyde Bridge and finally Cumbria . i finished as 3rd although I did sail as Dispensation Cheif on the Avogadro and was 2nd on the Shaftesbury for two voyages .
My wb name is ex engineer

non descript
7th February 2009, 19:41
Hello,as new boy to this site let me introduce myself . Frank Clay ,I sailed with Houlders from 1966 to1973 . Istarted as 4th Eng and sailed on the following Oredian,Hornby Grange,Avogadro Shaftesbury Mabel Warwick Clyde Bridge and finally Cumbria . i finished as 3rd although I did sail as Dispensation Cheif on the Avogadro and was 2nd on the Shaftesbury for two voyages .
My wb name is ex engineer

Hello Frank, a warm welcome to you - enjoy the Site and all it has to offer and you will find more than a shoal of Firey Kippers (and others) on here. (Jester)

howardb
7th February 2009, 20:05
Hi Howard, I was on the Humbolt & the Black Max and if you look at my profile you will see the dates. Include your dates and we will see if we were together, alot of us on here are very old and have lost our memories.
I will haveto dig out my old discharge book God knows where its hiding The wife tidied up some time ago i havent seen it for a while.On the Max i had mmy wife Ann with me and the riser was struck by lightning off Naples ( Cured my constipation) we had athief on board in tarragona Does that ring any Bells.

howardb
7th February 2009, 22:38
I have now managed to dig out my Dischagre book
My ships and dates are on my profile Please feel free to have a look and see if you sailed with me anytime. Would love to hear from anyone i sailed with(Thumb)

howardb
7th February 2009, 22:41
Joined Houlder Brothers in 1975 served on Clymene 05/05/75-20/09/75, Stolt Span 10/11/75 - 12/04/76,
Upwey Grange 21/05/76 - 21/07/76 ,Faraday12/02/77 - 03/07/77, Medic 02/09/77 - 17/12/77, Humboldt 06/02/78 - 17/05/78, Hornby Grange(3rd Mate) 18/06/79 - 23/10/79 & Again 14/02/80 - 04/06/80. Elstree Grange 09/09/1980 - 31/01/81, Hornby Grange 6/06/91 - 22/11/81, Lord Kelvin 12/03/82 - 14/07/82, Clerk Maxwell 29/09/82- 23/01/83, Humboldt 04/04/83 - 04/09/83, Canadian Explorer 15/05/84-30/06/84 & 28/07/84 -16/09/84 & 13/10/84 -
10/11/84 & 30/12/84 - 05/03/85 & 30/03/85 - 25/05/85, Dart Britain 30/06/85 - 28/07/85.
I left in 1985 joined South Wales Police and still there. 4 more years to retirement .

Would love to hear from anyone that sailed with me or remembers me (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
8th February 2009, 01:15
Hi Howard, You were on the Humbolt before me but I guess you must have sailed with Captain Jaques and the first mate was Phil Bass, they were on there for years.

I was on the Black Max a few years before you and I still have my tee shirt, pink with I SURVIVED THE BLACK MAX on the front

Corky
8th February 2009, 08:15
I think I sailed with you on your last trip on the Dart Britain - you were waiting for confirmation of being accepted by the police. I lasted another 4 years, being made redundant in 1990, last trip being on the British Steel with Capt Creber and Capt Whistler. Enjoy the site!

Best regards Paul Corkin ex R/O

howardb
8th February 2009, 08:29
I think I sailed with you on your last trip on the Dart Britain - you were waiting for confirmation of being accepted by the police. I lasted another 4 years, being made redundant in 1990, last trip being on the British Steel with Capt Creber and Capt Whistler. Enjoy the site!

Best regards Paul Corkin ex R/O
Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry i dont remeber you, but the name is vaguely familiar. I have a book in my attic that has the naem of everyone i sailed with but i have not yet dug it out its been put "safe" .The trip was short but i do remember a terrific rain/thunderstorm in New York where lightning struck one of the floodlight towers causimg it to wobble around and the rain that fell in such a short time was 4 inches deep on deck. Regards H

ex engineer
8th February 2009, 17:35
I have just found my discharge book so can now put dates to ships
Oredian 30/12/66 to 4/4/67
Hornby Grange 28/7/67 to 7/4/68
Avogadro 23/5/68 to 2/1/70
Shaftesbury 3/6/70 to7/7/71
Mabel Warwick 27/1/72 to 5/4/72
Clyde Bridge 28/7/72 to18/11/72
Cumbria9/1/73 5/8/73
I then swallowed the anchor and made the mistake of working ashore ,a whole new ball game ,seemed to spend a lot of time falling out with the union man over doing jobs that were not in my province ,not like on the ships were if it neede doing you got on with it .
Frank Clay

MARINEJOCKY
8th February 2009, 20:02
Hi Frank, I was checking to see if I had sailed with you on the Cumbria and note that you paid off the same day as I signed on in Scaramanga, Greece. That was my first ship.

marinero
9th February 2009, 10:52
I have just found my discharge book so can now put dates to ships
Oredian 30/12/66 to 4/4/67
Hornby Grange 28/7/67 to 7/4/68
Avogadro 23/5/68 to 2/1/70
Shaftesbury 3/6/70 to7/7/71
Mabel Warwick 27/1/72 to 5/4/72
Clyde Bridge 28/7/72 to18/11/72
Cumbria9/1/73 5/8/73
I then swallowed the anchor and made the mistake of working ashore ,a whole new ball game ,seemed to spend a lot of time falling out with the union man over doing jobs that were not in my province ,not like on the ships were if it neede doing you got on with it .
Frank Clay

Hi Frank.
You must have been on the "Cumbria" when I joined in Madras (21.5.73) and as Marinejockey said you paid off in Skaramanga in August that year. I am sorry I can't put a face to your name but I was the Chief Steward. Did we go to Constanza (Roumania) that trip?
Regards (Thumb)

Welsh Dragon
20th February 2009, 22:18
Cumbria was my first ship, joined it in Japan 8/8/74 as Eng Cadet. Remember the Old Man and Chief Engineer inspecting my cabin.When they opened my wardrobe door dozens of empty beer cans cascaded out on to the deck. The old man Cpt Spong gave me a good ear bashing “ The mans a drinker” said the chief steward (Bill Murdock) my face must have been a picture. When they walked off I heard the Chief Engineer (Humphreys) whispering to Murdock “ you’re a bad man chief”. Sailed with Bill several times after that and I never lived it down.

MARINEJOCKY
20th February 2009, 22:55
WELSH DRAGON,

I left the Cumbria in Emden, Germany in February 1974 and by mate Mike Fraser took over as Cadet engineer so I am guessing that you must have taken over from Mike as he left to come back to phase III that started in September 1974.

I think I sailed with Bill Murdock, was he either an ex army RSM or his daughters were on the Tennants cans or maybe both. I think I was asked about the girls one night in the bar in his presence and started to brag that they would not be able to resist my charms and what I would do until Bill wacked me on the head.

I still stay in regular contact with Mike Fraser who is now a top manager for Diageo

What College did you go too.

Welsh Dragon
21st February 2009, 18:47
Hi Marinejocky, Went to Llandaff for Phase1 1972 to 1974 Then London Phase 3 1975.Your right about Bill Murdock, he was ex RSM in the Black Watch and his daughters were on the Tennants cans. I am sure i sailed with Mike Fraser but where and when escapes me for now.
What Collage did you attend.

MARINEJOCKY
21st February 2009, 19:47
both of us went to Glasgow for all of our time

Tiger1
27th February 2009, 12:53
Hi Lads is there anyone out there who sailed on m.v. Queensbury from 1954 - March 1956. My Husband Kenneth Collins was Chief Electrician on her then. Ken passed away in 2005 but I am getting together his ships and info for my Grandson to keep Would love to hear from anyone who knew Ken. Best wishes Jean Collins. (Tiger1).

larry from liverpool.
11th March 2009, 23:00
Hi everyone.
I sailed on the "QUEENSBURY" as A.B. from 12/61 - 3/63. to S. America. I think that was the trip that when we docked in Rosairo my brother Chris, who was on a tramp called the "Dartford" walked aboard, and I did not even know he was back in the M.N. we had a few nights ashore together there, and thn both our ships whent down river to B.A. and we had anotherfew days together there. I think you will all agree, that is a million to one chance of ever happening!!

Larry from Liverpool.

chadders
13th March 2009, 18:39
Joined Houlder Brothers in 1975 served on Clymene 05/05/75-20/09/75, Stolt Span 10/11/75 - 12/04/76,
Upwey Grange 21/05/76 - 21/07/76 ,Faraday12/02/77 - 03/07/77, Medic 02/09/77 - 17/12/77, Humboldt 06/02/78 - 17/05/78, Hornby Grange(3rd Mate) 18/06/79 - 23/10/79 & Again 14/02/80 - 04/06/80. Elstree Grange 09/09/1980 - 31/01/81, Hornby Grange 6/06/91 - 22/11/81, Lord Kelvin 12/03/82 - 14/07/82, Clerk Maxwell 29/09/82- 23/01/83, Humboldt 04/04/83 - 04/09/83, Canadian Explorer 15/05/84-30/06/84 & 28/07/84 -16/09/84 & 13/10/84 -
10/11/84 & 30/12/84 - 05/03/85 & 30/03/85 - 25/05/85, Dart Britain 30/06/85 - 28/07/85.
I left in 1985 joined South Wales Police and still there. 4 more years to retirement .

Would love to hear from anyone that sailed with me or remembers me (Thumb)

Hi Howard, I remember you. We paid off the Humboldt together in Flushing and travelled to Sheerness on theferry. I was 2nd Mate at the time.

Cheers

Chadders

BOB.WHITTAKER
16th March 2009, 22:52
CORONATION STREET I dont know if there are any "Corrie" fans out there but some 6-7 years ago I was browsing through Appleyards motor cycle shop in Keighley West Yorks when "Bill Webster" (real name Peter Armitage) the builder (Audreys paramour and garage owner Kevins father appeared. Instead of greeting him with"Youre in Coronation St." as he would be used to I said "You used to sail 3rd. egineer with Houlder Brothers". Sure enough this was corect and it transpired that he had been on "Duquesa" "Hardwicke Grange" and others. I spent a very pleasant hour chatting with him and he proved to be a very affable chap. Perhaps others have seen him either in Coronation St. or other programmes and conected him with Houlder ships.

Bombersman
17th March 2009, 15:01
Good grief Bob, the memories came flooding back. I met Peter Armitage while relieving on the Duquesa and took an instant liking to him as he was a most agreeable bloke who was easy to get on with. We only met the once and, until your post, I had almost forgotten him. I don't watch Coronation Street, but my wife does and I will get her to look out for and draw my attention to Peter when he is next on.

Thanks for stirring up old and pleasant memories.

Kind regards

Bob W.

homerus
22nd March 2009, 10:37
we also had fun pulling that leg out on chain blocks,as 1st officer,trashed the crane.
Engine Room boy,david workman/Maiden voyage Hornby Grange

geoff johnson (lofty)
4th April 2009, 07:08
my name is geoff johnson,nickname lofty. I sailed on the elstree grange
during 1948 as a deck boy. are there any old salts left who remember me ?
I was allways given the job of nightwatchman when we where in B A.

non descript
4th April 2009, 07:55
Geoff, a very warm welcome to you on the occasion of your first posting. Thank you for joining the Site and I am sure you will get a lot of fun out of it; you willsee that there is a whole clutch of Houlders folk on here, and surely some will be your shipmates. I can think of nothing worse than being always the nighwatchman whilst in the wonderful city of Buenos Aires… but maybe it save you from other worries (Jester)

Welsh Dragon
4th April 2009, 17:47
my name is geoff johnson,nickname lofty. I sailed on the elstree grange
during 1948 as a deck boy. are there any old salts left who remember me ?
I was allways given the job of nightwatchman when we where in B A.

Hi Lofty, 1948 a bit before my time (were you on a squre rigger, sorry just joking (Jester) ), Great place BA you must have been to young to sample the delights of the night [=P]

geoff johnson (lofty)
5th April 2009, 06:05
to tonga,being nightwatchman did have some advantages in BA it gave me
achance to see the city in the daytime. I did get a relief now and then which
let me go ashore in the evening with some of the crew. We always started
out at Catholic Seamens Mission( Beer was a lot cheaper there) then onto
a night club at The Arches. I enjoyed The Arches shopping in the daytime
and would buy clothes for myself and also presents to take home to London.
Geoff Johnson ,Just call me Lofty.

geoff johnson (lofty)
5th April 2009, 06:19
to Welsh Dragon.
A bit before your time eh. I trained in Wales at the Outward Bound Sea School in 1947 so you see I did do a bit under sail on the old Garibaldi.All the best from Down Under. Geoff Johnson (Lofty)

Bombersman
5th April 2009, 06:52
Hi Lofty, you said: -I sailed on the elstree grange during 1948 as a deck boy.
That was thirteen years before I first joined Houlders on the Brandon priory, but you may have come across a third engineer from South Shields called Frankie Garvoc who I had the privilege to sail with in 1961/2 on The Bidford Priory.

Frank was a grand owld chap who had been torpedoed twice during the war.

Kind regards and welcome to Ships Nostalgia

Bob W.

stequantum
11th April 2009, 02:35
any one here on the saint merriel when she was sold in 1973. Would like to hear from them especially catering staff i was a gally boy. Names i can remember are luke byrne my co gally boy, paul steward, paul second steward, after that memory gets a bit fuzzy, great times i will never forget especially in BA first trip i was only 17 the crew taught me some spanish spelling may not be correct but they were veinty sinco de mayo, quanta costa por favor, and bandito, just realised something wonder if thats why i called my company quantum? quanta? any way found 25 de mayo asked the question met sonya so it worked (Thumb) oh and called the taxi driver a bandito when he told me the price (Jester)

geoff johnson (lofty)
23rd April 2009, 08:10
In a trip I did in 1948,[ yes I know I must have sailed with Noah in The Ark]
I was on lookout on the Bridge,the 12 to 4 a.m. when the ship was lit up with a bright light, we had sailed from Dakar and was about a week out on
our way to B.A. The Officer on watch came up to me and asked me if I did
know what it was ? I said no,could be an UFO !
Some time later I found out that this was a regular event on Sailing Ships
and was called Saint Elmo"s Fire.Has anyone had the same? Geoff Johnson{Lofty}

geoff johnson (lofty)
24th April 2009, 07:14
I am still trying to find a photo of the Liberty ship ELSTREE GRANGE that I
sailed on in 1948. Does anyone have one? Geoff Johnson (Lofty)

non descript
24th April 2009, 08:06
Geoff,
At the moment I have not found a picture of Elstree Grange – If it helps others track one down, she was built as Samettrick 02 08 1.44 under the ‘lease lend’ agreement with Britain
1944 MOWT ( P & O Steam Nav. Co, London)
1947 ELSTREE GRANGE, Houlder Line Ltd (Houlder Bros Co, London) - British flag.
1960 KOPALNIA MIECHOWICE, Polish Government, Szczecin - Polish flag
1972 Polish SS Co.
8.1.72 Damaged rudder off Portuguese coast, towed Lisbon but CTL.
1972 Scrapped Split.
(Thumb)
Mark

veste
24th April 2009, 08:55
Picture of Elstree Grange for you Lofty.
Kind Regards veste.

non descript
24th April 2009, 09:06
Veste, you are gentleman and a scholar, thank you Sir. (Applause)

Billy Fawcett
24th April 2009, 20:06
Just joined thread. I never went to sea, my old man wouldn't let me. He'd been at sea since he was 15 and amongst other lines sailed with Houlders on the River Plate service. His name was Jack Fawcett and he was a cook.

I joined Houlder's office staff in Liverpool back in the sixties (next best thing I suppose) working on the South American service which included Lamports and Elma lines.

My desk was next to the second floor balcony and flagpole at the front of the Liver Building and it was my job to run up and dip the Maltese Cross house flag as one of our ships passed the Liver Building. It was the greatest feeling for a young lad when the ship dipped its flag and blew out a loud acknowledgment.

I remember one day on the Queen's birthday I was asked to run up the Union Jack on the front of the Liver. Soon after John Alexander (Alexander Shipping Co) and managing director of Houlders called me into his office via the Office manager Albert Tinker - I knew it was serious! 'William' he said in those loud Oxbridge tones - 'Ive just had a phone call from Bidston Observatory .. we are flying the Union Jack upside down .. get out there and retrieve it immediately!'
I still don't know to this day if he was winding me up or if that telescope at Bidston is that powerful!

A lot of the ships names bring back memories as I used to type the manifests and take them down to the ships just before sailing. I also used to have to place the ships movements in the Liverpool Echo so those at home knew where you were in the world, so a lot of the names are familiar.

R58484956
24th April 2009, 20:24
Greetings Billy and welcome to SN on your first very interesting posting. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

non descript
24th April 2009, 20:25
Billy, firstly a very warm welcome to you on the occasion of your first posting, thank you for joining SN, do enjoy it and all that goes with it, and we are lucky to have you on board. – As for John Alexander, I rather doubt he would have known which way up the Union Flag was in order to be ‘correct’ (Jester) , but I am sure he enjoyed putting you through undue and uncalled for torment even so; but that Sir is not something you will have to suffer on here, as it is one family and a common theme. So have fun and we look forward to your postings.
(Thumb)
Mark

geoff johnson (lofty)
25th April 2009, 04:37
Thank you TONGA for the information on the ELSTREE GRANGE.
I had already researched this information over the last few months.Thank you.
Thank you VESTE for the photo of the ELSTREE GRANGE, I had spent a lot
of time trying to obtain this photo but had no success.THANK YOU very much
I am now a happy chappie. All the best to you both. Geoff Johnson(Lofty)

geoff johnson (lofty)
26th April 2009, 10:39
To VESTE re the photo of ELSTREE GRANGE. Do you have a time and place
when this photo was taken ?
Regards Geoff Johnson (Lofty)

veste
27th April 2009, 16:34
Lofty,
Dont know the place, but it must have been after 1947 when Houlders acquired the ship.
sorry dosnt help much.

Regards veste

geoff johnson (lofty)
28th April 2009, 08:16
Veste, When I was on the ELSTREE GRANGE one of the jobs I had to do was
change the colour of the masts and derricks from white to Buff.From
looking at the photo you sent me I would say it had to be 48 or later
Thanks again, Geoff Johnson (Lofty)

jackman
28th April 2009, 18:51
Hi. As a cabin boy. I sail on the Imperial Transport on Nov 5th 1946 to 21 march 1947. she had been torpedoed in the war,and a new bow had been fitted. The ship was in a poor state machinically. If my memory [which is a bit ropey] is correct. When we got to Rotterdam. It was the winter of 1947 .and Rotterdam was a mess. and they sold the ship, cargo as well.
We came home DBS. [god it was cold] Jackman

non descript
28th April 2009, 19:57
Jackman, your memory is 100AI… The Imperial Transport was built on the Clyde in 1931 and launched on 17th February of that year. During WW2 she had an eventful time and survived being torpedoed twice. She was sold to Norwegian buyers in 1947. She was broken up in 1958.

There are some comments about her here. (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=15502&highlight=Imperial+Transport)

guinnessmick
28th April 2009, 22:02
hi zoe
i sailed with a bill Westhead on the swan river he was the ch cook i was the second cook it was my first trip as a second cook he taught me all i know about cooking and baking i was on that ship with him for 14 months a great guy to sail with i am truly sorry to hear that he died.
m johnson
Hull