Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

guinnessmick
29th April 2009, 00:37
hi i was on the swan river for 14 months it was a great ship and i have many happy memories i was also on the thorpe grange

kaninchen
4th May 2009, 12:18
I worked as a CA/AA at the Marine Office in Blaikies Quay in Aberdeen between April 1984 and April 1989. I worked with many different surveyors and just wondered what happened to them.
I also remember Eddie Hutchison, who worked in the Exam Dept with Mrs Wilson when I first started.
Does anybody know what happened to any of these surveyors or what they are up to these days?
Regards
Sandra

Cutsplice
4th May 2009, 22:12
Sandra welcome, was Capt,n Hutchison ex Master Houlder Brothers, name rings a bell with me. I am sure he done a safety survey on my vessel in the Forth about 1986 or 87, I remember he was a real gentleman a pleasure to work with. Remember him well as we were having a tea break we talked about Houlders and the Sth American ports and people we knew in Argentina, we could have chatted for hours but time did not permit it.

kaninchen
4th May 2009, 22:30
Yes a gentleman and a pleasure to work with, as most of the surveyors were. A Shetlander, and was (mostly) a very quiet spoken man.

John Campbell
4th May 2009, 23:06
Hi Sandra and Cutsplce,
Capt. Hutchison is alive and well -I have just been on the phone to him- as;as he is not on the WWW. He has just come back from Spain after being on vacation.He remembers you Sandra and he thinks he remembers encountering s scouser in the Forth but is not sure of the ship.
Capt Fellingham died last year as did Jack Blacklaws - I was at their funerals. I have not seen Capt McFarlane for over a year and will make inquiry. J.Wood is still there and I saw Tom Robinson at the funerals

I also agree Eddie is a fine fellow - he and I were shipmates in Caltex - a first class mariner if ever there was one.
Best regards to you both from Eddie and I
JC

kaninchen
5th May 2009, 00:03
Hi John,
Thanks for the reply. It's amazing that Capt Hutchison still remembers me as I left the civil service over 20 years ago (to travel round the States with my brother and his wife) and I was only there for 5 years. He must have an excellent memory or he is just flattering me.
Sad to hear about Jack Blacklaws and Capt Fellingham, but Capt Fellingham was a fair age when I was there. Didn't think Jack Blacklaws was very old.
When you say that Johnstone Wood is still there, do you mean he is still working in the Marine Office? If so, is he the PSS now? He always had such a sense of humour and was always joking with us girls.
I really appreciate all your help.
Kind Regards
Sandra

non descript
7th May 2009, 08:41
Hi Sandra and Cutsplce,
Capt. Hutchison is alive and well -I have just been on the phone to him- as;as he is not on the WWW. He has just come back from Spain after being on vacation.He remembers you Sandra and he thinks he remembers encountering s scouser in the Forth but is not sure of the ship.
Capt Fellingham died last year as did Jack Blacklaws - I was at their funerals. I have not seen Capt McFarlane for over a year and will make inquiry. J.Wood is still there and I saw Tom Robinson at the funerals

I also agree Eddie is a fine fellow - he and I were shipmates in Caltex - a first class mariner if ever there was one.
JC

John that is very good news, and as Sandra very pleasantly says, "a gentleman and a pleasure to work with. A Shetlander, and a very quiet spoken man." - that is exactly as I remember him. Should you be speaking to him again please do remember me to him.

(Thumb)
Mark

Guy41
25th May 2009, 14:30
Hi everyone, although I've previously placed a couple of posts on this site I would like to 'properly' introduce myself in the vague hope that someone remembers me. Would be brilliant to catch up with anyone who I sailed with back in the mid 70's.

My name is Glyn Legge originally from South Wales. Sailed with Houlders as J/5th Eng 1974-1976.

OK...here goes...a quick brain dump as I can't find my discharge book for the details. Some of the information may be slightly out of sinc so please forgive me.

First Ship was the Hardwicke Grange - worked along side in London for about a month in May/June 1974.

Bidford Priory - 1974 - Joined in Redcar - Nigeria and back to Middlesbrough - 3rd Eng was Dave? had his wife with him....

Ocean Transport - 1974/5 - Joined in Swansea - Liverpool - Vigo (Spain) - BA - Montevideo - Rosario - BA - uk. Spent Chrismas 74 on board - Can remember a first trip Female Cadet on board - 3rd eng was a Brian Wardell I think. Also can remember an American/Canadian 5th Eng.

Furness Bridge - 1975 - Joined in Capetown with Superintendant Derek Wyatt and a junior 2nd eng Robbie? - Dampier - Genoa - Livorno - Rio. Ian MacDonald was the C/O.

Sir Alexander Glen - Joined In the Gulf - Mina Al Ahmadi (not sure if thats the correct spelling?) Japan - Capetown.....Eng Cadet Malcolm Lidstone-Green - Another Malcolm and Dave 3rd engineers...should know thier surnames but can't remember...came to my wedding in July 1976. C/E had a French surname, first mane was Ricky?

Oregis??? - Joined ore carrier in Aug 76 in Portalbot - Just can't remember her name - Middlsborough - Narvik - Hamburgh? - uk.

Ring any bells?????

Thanks

Glyn Legge. PS I'll attempt to post some various photos later.

Hi Glyn,

I was first trip deck cadet around the time you were there on the 'Sir Alex' joined in Le Havre Feb 1976 and stayed until Drydock in Rotterdam. Trying to remember more names: Old man was Rex Leach (Replaced by Derek Pugh) Mate was Mike Hodder, Chief Ricky Lajoie, 2nd ? Parker, 3rd or 4th Tony Tucker, Sparky Don Maclean, Chief Steward Paddy Ormond? I remember Malcolm Lidstone Green but not the names of the other cadets.

Looking forward to any photos?

It was only 33 years ago!!!

Cheers Guy Webster

Billieboy
28th May 2009, 10:38
Recently I was at one of my nieces wedding, which was being held in St Paul's Church next to High Street School in Barry. The church has a Memorial window dedicated to the, "Royston Grange", the disaster affected Barry more than any other port in the UK. Capt. George Boothby had many personal and fraternal links in the town.

glyn moorhouse
8th June 2009, 14:57
hi everyone i joined houlders in 1974 my first trip was on the clerk maxwell which joined in punta cardon maracaibo the captain was les cuttriss & the 1st mate was mick dale i flew out with the releiving captain matthews & 2nd mate jim clark; anyone still around?

glyn moorhouse
8th June 2009, 15:20
Was with Houlders from 69 to 83 - Sailed on most of the gas boats - would be great to hear form anyone who can remeber me

We have a reunion i Hull every september

Regards Chris

r u the chris campbell from the blue post inn north frodingham-driffield; if so i SAILED WITH YOU ON THE CLERK MAXWELL. YOU STAYED WITH ME IN MY PARENTS HOUSE IN DARLINGTON I STILL HAVE A PHOTOGRAPH OF YOU ON REDCAR SEAFRONT.

MARINEJOCKY
8th June 2009, 15:33
Hi Glyn,

I was on most of the gas boats and sailed as 2/E on the Black Max but not until 1979. Many fond memories. Which other Houlders ships were you on.

Bombersman
8th June 2009, 16:13
Hi Marinejockey,

I was walking near Fourstones yesterday not far, as you know, from your folks place. They were in my mind with kind thoughts.

Nora and I intend a return visit later in the summer,

Kind regards

bob

MARINEJOCKY
8th June 2009, 16:44
Hi Bob,

Was the weather not bad yesterday or was that saturday, i did talk to my dad and he sounded miserable, staying inside because of the rain and cold. I like to get him going when he is complaining about the weather by saying I am lying in the pool with a cold one in hand but we have had terrible rain storms for 3 weeks now. we had 3.25" of rain in 2 hours the other day.

The folks spoke highly of you so call and go around any time.

Bombersman
8th June 2009, 17:01
Hi Bob,

Was the weather not bad yesterday or was that saturday, i did talk to my dad and he sounded miserable, staying inside because of the rain and cold. I like to get him going when he is complaining about the weather by saying I am lying in the pool with a cold one in hand but we have had terrible rain storms for 3 weeks now. we had 3.25" of rain in 2 hours the other day.

Hi Malcolm.

The day started with some light showers but these soon went away to give a mainly overcast but dry breezy day. This was the opposite to last weekend.

You said: -
i did talk to my dad and he sounded miserable, staying inside because of the rain and cold.
Me too!(Cloud)

When I was at Wark I was telling them of the times I came on leave in the summer and sat over the fire trying to keep warm after several trips between Mina al amadi and Aden. I think they understood.

We'll go before we take our trip to a villa in Majorca in Sepember. I was made most welcome last time. :-)

regards

Bob

MARINEJOCKY
8th June 2009, 17:33
I remember coming home and catching the cold a day after I arrived, nursing a hang-over and looking out of the window at the heavy rain and wind at my parents house I answered the phone.

Mr Batchelor was on the other end of the phone asking (or telling) me to join the Cavendish again and that was after only 3 days leave. It was a no brainer bearing in mind the way I felt. I got the details and then looked out of the window again. It was sunny with no wind.

After only a total of 5 days leave I went off on another ship and that was June 14th 1976. That was seven days before my 21st birthday and also 1976 was the best summer on record for years and maybe since.

At least over here we have hot weather every day with some days wetter than others.

Is Fourstones next to Newbrough, I forget.

Bombersman
8th June 2009, 17:45
Is Fourstones next to Newbrough, I forget. Yes just east is Fourstones.

Here are some shots taken yesterday on the walk: -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15128123@N02/show/

Bob

MARINEJOCKY
8th June 2009, 18:14
Hi Bob,

The photos are great and bring back many memories. You may want to remove them as I see there are some family ones in there as well. What was the rig in one photo behind the two young lads.

Bombersman
8th June 2009, 18:34
Evenin' malcolm (it is here, that is)

The photos are great and bring back many memories.
I thought they might. :-)

You may want to remove them as I see there are some family ones in there as well.
Quite right malcolm. Thanks for pointing that out.

Bombersman
8th June 2009, 18:47
What was the rig in one photo behind the two young lads.
I don't know Malcolm, but it is roughly where Brigham and Cowans used to be. The shots with the rig in the background were taken at the North Shields registry office which was formerly the Stag line buildings and still had Stag line memorabilia and photos in the reception area which I found more interesting than the wedding.

The two young lads were my grandson aged 18 and his father, my son aged 41. He'll be pleased that he was referred to a a young lad.

Bob

MARINEJOCKY
8th June 2009, 18:59
I am getting to that age when people of 41 are referred to as young lads (*)).

I played cricket for Wark as a boy and we had not won a game for 4 years ad went to Newbrough for a game. we got them all out for 13 runs (there record was not much better than ours) and looked forward to achieving our first win, unfortunetaly they bowled us out for 11. Mind you we looked forward to the fish & chips when we were "travelling" to an away game, so from Newbrough I think we went to Hayden Bridge or maybe it was back to Acomb.

Bombersman
8th June 2009, 19:10
Mind you we looked forward to the fish & chips when we were "travelling" to an away game, so from Newbrough I think we went to Hayden Bridge or maybe it was back to Acomb.

Probably Haydon Bridge Malcolm. I don't think Acomb had a fish and chip shop, but I am open to correction. Your Dad may have mentioned that Haydon Bridge is now bye passed.

MARINEJOCKY
8th June 2009, 19:40
Coming from Hexham you take the first right as you enter Acomb and go up into the village and the chippie was just at the cross-roads, very good but then again that was 42 years ago.

Bill Blair
27th June 2009, 19:50
Anyone around from Houlders, would be great to hear how you are doing.

Hi Ian
I worked on the Hardwicke Grange on March 1974, Assistant Steward

Best regards

Bill Blair

Bombersman
28th June 2009, 10:15
Marinejockey said: -
Coming from Hexham you take the first right as you enter Acomb and go up into the village and the chippie was just at the cross-roads, very good but then again that was 42 years ago.
I stand corrected Malcolm.(Thumb)

I was walking near Kielder on Wednesday after having a cuppa in Bellingham. We went via Knowesgate and Sweethope lough, so didn't pass through Wark with your parents house, but they were sent kind thoughts.

Bob W.

John Jenkins
29th June 2009, 17:37
Hi, My name is John Jenkins and sailed with Houlders/Furness from 72 to 86. I recognise lots of the names but not many in context. Ellis Mason was my first C/E on Bidford me a first trip cadet and I left from Dundee Kingsnorth in August 86. Sailed on three Hadley ships, Clyde Bridge, Cumbria and Clymene (twice). Also sailed on 3 gas ships, Joule, Humboldt (twice) and Lord Kelvin. Anyone remember me besides Duncan and John H?

MARINEJOCKY
29th June 2009, 18:49
Hi Bob,

I checked with the folks and they said the chippie is still there.

I also hear the weather is fantastic just now and here we are with storms everyday.

Must rush as I am working today

Regards, Malcolm

John J. when were you on the Humbolt and what were you sailing as, you name rings a bell, I was a 2/e on her.

mr chippy
1st July 2009, 12:58
An officer from Houlders latter days - welcome and enjoy!

Hi i was the Chippy on the m/v OREGIS Oct 1956-- Then the m/v Oremina Jul1957 Any one around like to hear from you. Bill ALLEN plymouth

Kevin Campbell
6th July 2009, 19:54
Hello Bill, you were probably ahead of me, as I see it was 1970 when I was on "Mabel Warwick" - maybe I was lucky, but I don't remember being any more seasick on her than the "Oregis".

Hello Tonga,

i've posted two pictures today of Mabel Warwick and Oregis from 66 and 61 respectively.I have quite a few picturtes of the Houlder ships that I was on in those days.

Regards

Kevin Campbell

non descript
6th July 2009, 21:19
....I have quite a few picturtes of the Houlder ships that I was on in those days.

Regards

Kevin Campbell

Well done Kevin, they look very good pictures.
(Thumb)
Mark

Old Bakelite
7th July 2009, 13:41
Then on leave had to go up to Hull and stand at the station in uniform to meet prospective cadets to guide them to a hotel for some tests and interviews.

Hi Jerry,
I think I may have been one of those kids, although not the one who ended up in Glasgow! I joined the Faraday in Oct 78 so the interview must have been earlier that year.

Ian.

Old Bakelite
7th July 2009, 13:51
Recognise quite a few names on this forum and would be good to hear how you are all getting on.

Hi Mike,

I remember you well as a good 2/O, although I was just a green cadet. Joule March - June 1980.

But there are still more blanks than memories so I think this site is going to be a great way to reminisce and try and get some of them back.

All the best,
Ian.

bazza54
7th July 2009, 14:59
Hi My name is Barry Wheaton, joined as catering boy on Oswestry Grange in BA 1971
Then on to......
Mable Warwick,
Joya McCance,
Humboldt,
Furness Bridge,
Faraday,
Clerk Maxwell,
Then offshore......
Oregis,
Dundee Kingsnorth,
Uncle John..............

John Jenkins
7th July 2009, 17:19
Hoi Malcolm,

I was on her first time as 4th Eng 1.1.79 to 10.4.79, this is the trip she ran aground on the fjord, whole trip in Europe. The second time was as 3rd, 18.1.83 to 10.5.83 all in South America and paid off in Maracaibo.

John

Hi Bob,

I checked with the folks and they said the chippie is still there.

I also hear the weather is fantastic just now and here we are with storms everyday.

Must rush as I am working today

Regards, Malcolm

John J. when were you on the Humbolt and what were you sailing as, you name rings a bell, I was a 2/e on her.

MARINEJOCKY
8th July 2009, 03:10
John, was it your grand mother who sent all of the up dates from Cross Roads to you everytime we arrived back in Le Havre. Your name certainly rang a bell and I am trying to put a face to the name.

I was on the Humbolt as a 1st trip second 3.12.78 to 9.3.79 so we definately sailed together and went aground a little before 6 in the morning. Stuar the 2nd steward is somewhere on here as well and he remembered the time as well. I only remember because Boo Boo had hs wife on board and made me do the 6am to midnight watch and he did midnight to 6am and always turned the heat off my cabin.

bazza54
8th July 2009, 12:42
Hi Alan Don't know if you remember me Barry Wheaton. Joined the UJ in Oslo and stayed till Nov 1980.Gary Jones {ch cook] Dave Cheeseman, ETC

ALAN TYLER
13th July 2009, 17:45
Hi Alan Don't know if you remember me Barry Wheaton. Joined the UJ in Oslo and stayed till Nov 1980.Gary Jones {ch cook] Dave Cheeseman, ETC

Hi Barry, Welcome aboard, there,ll be plenty of names you,ll remember on the site. Hope lifes treating you kindly, what are you up to in Spain? Leo.s out there as well, I,m enjoying retirement in sunny Lancashire!!! All the Best Alan T.

Kevin Campbell
13th July 2009, 22:08
Hello Ian,
I first joined Houlders as apprentice in 1957 in Newport Mon when I joined ss Ledbury an ex American Liberty ship. I was straight out of sixth form at grammar school and hence no pre sea training.
The master at the time was Tommy Head, the 1/O Harold Barrett from Huddersfield and 3/O a chap called Perarce from Bristol.
The chief engineer was called Hateley, an older man on his retirement voyage. The 2/E was Danvers Reaveley from Stockton, the 3rd /Eng and electrician ( which they had in those days) was called Tommy Wright from Dundee. The Carpenter was Ken Emerson from London ( a chain smoker) and the bosun was a young man from Cardiff called Albert Mehsin.
The chief steward was Frank Carlaw and the cook was Jan Bruska, a Pole. The senior PO/Greaser was a chap from Newport called Sammy Upton. I was alone the first trip because the other apprentice ( skinned out), for the second voyage I had Sis Sykes who was from Hull. I was from Doncaster at the time.
We sailed from Newport to Swansea to pick up general cargo and tin plate for Montevideo and Buenos Aires vis St Vincent in the Cape Verdes.
En route we had a cargo shift in no. 1 hatch so all the deck crew plus me were summoned to re secure it at about 3 o'clock in the morning.
We discharged in Buenos Aires and proceeded up river to Rosario to load grain. I always remember the passage up the Parana river ( 24 hrs) because the pilot slowed down the ship so that the wash did not flood the homesteads perched right on the river bank. Also I saw around two dozen horses running along the river bank keeping up with the ship. They appeared to be wild and of course the land was open pampas type land with vast expanses of open land.
The next voyage was from London to Bs As via Gdynia where we loaded coal for the power station in S. Dock.
At that time the 2 /mate was called Stableford and the chief steward Christie from Liverpool.He used to give us B.O.T limejuice every few days as a prevention for scabies !!! The new chief eng was called Gray and used to refer constantly to Tower Bridge as London Bridge for some reason.
The new bosun was a man from South Shields called Bill Burman who was a fine man.
I recall the trip to Gdynia was a bit of an experience. We traversed the Kiel canal and I understand dropped off all unecessay ships papers there to be collected on the way back. We proceeded to Gdynia along a buoyed channel cleared of mines. In Gdynia it was quite cold ( March) with snow about a foot deep. There were guards on the gangway and you had to take your discharge book ashore with you and declare zlotis in your possession on leaving and arriving back. The guards would not accept a cup of cocoa as I recall although the temp was freezing.
In Bs As it took about ten days to discharge the coal so we were down there for about a month and I loved it.
I recall being in Dique 4 later with several Houlder ships, some doubled up, Ledbury, Holmbury, Kingsbury, Argentine Transport and Ovingdean Grange.
I recall crew members swimming across the dock to join friends on other Houlder ships on the other side.
Homecoming ( usually Liverpool) was always an exciting occasion with the mate asking the shore gang for the latest news, shouting from the fo'cstle.
The shore gang boss was a chap called Whelan and there was Jimmy O'Brien and Billy Astle the shore carpenter.
I did about five trpis on Ledbury to the Argentine and was sorry to leave her.
I remember also that Customs and Excise used to have an officer or two at Lime Street station who spotted the seafarers and made us open our bags for further inspection. There were also card sharks on the train who worked Lime Steet to Guide Bridge trying to get the seamen with their pay offs ( in cash in those days) to play find the lady.
During the time I was on Ledbury we had crews from Newport, London and Liverpool. I have to say that I liked the Liverpool crews who had loads of personality and stories about the west coast of Africa, bluies, the states ,
Australia and NZ ( which seemed to be everyones favourite). It was all so magic and exciting to my ears.

Kevin Campbell

Grymauch
2nd August 2009, 22:26
Hi, My name is John Jenkins and sailed with Houlders/Furness from 72 to 86. I recognise lots of the names but not many in context. Ellis Mason was my first C/E on Bidford me a first trip cadet and I left from Dundee Kingsnorth in August 86. Sailed on three Hadley ships, Clyde Bridge, Cumbria and Clymene (twice). Also sailed on 3 gas ships, Joule, Humboldt (twice) and Lord Kelvin. Anyone remember me besides Duncan and John H?

Your name is vaguely familiar John. I was on the Cumbria 1976-77 and Joule 1977 as a deck cadet.

Jon Bleasdale

Terry Goddard
3rd August 2009, 11:07
"Hi , was apprentice nav on the Ore carrier "Oreosa" 2/63 to 8/63 , the 1st Mate was nicknamed "Goffey" , and also the "Orelia" in early 70.Great little ships and great trips .Wish they were still sailing the seas!!.Terry

John Jenkins
6th August 2009, 19:42
Hi Jon,

Your name is also vaugely familiar and I think we met on both.

Howzit going?

John

Your name is vaguely familiar John. I was on the Cumbria 1976-77 and Joule 1977 as a deck cadet.

Jon Bleasdale

Grymauch
6th August 2009, 22:02
Hi John,

Were you the 4th Engineer on the Cumbria when we spent 7 weeks alongside in Sydney? I might be wrong but I can recall hiring a car with the 2nd Mate, Pete Aldous (ex-RN officer with posh accent!) and possibly yourself. Took off into the Blue Mountains and at one point we ended up buggering around on a lake in a hired boat. I have a photo somewhere of us all but currently packed away in the loft.

Keeping well here and looking forward to retirement. Any yourself?

Regards, Jon

Nick Batstone
14th August 2009, 00:06
Hi Ian
I joined up with houlder bros in 1975 my 1st ship was the Mable Warwick..then Faraday 76 Lynton Grange 76 Hardwick Grange 77 Faraday 77 Orotava 78 Humboldt 78 Joule 79 Humboldt 79 Joule 80 Banbury 80 Hornby Grange80-81 Oroya 81 Orduna 81-82 Clerk Maxwell 82 beacon Grange 83.. joined as cat boy then Steward and finished up as 2nd Stwd.. best thing that i have ever done..Gary Meadows..

I remember you from the Humboldt in 78. The other steward was Mick with the glasses (Scott?) I was Galley boy with Bill the coloured cook. If I remember rightly you used to come from Felixstowe

gazza
9th September 2009, 03:02
Hi Nick, well i'll be buggered!!! long time ago that was.. i can just about remember the old girl. yep you almost got it right i was from Leiston,about 20 odd miles from felixtowe..wot you up to now!!

Abbeywood.
10th September 2009, 11:54
Neill, The El Argentino (Capt. Freddie Kent) was bombed off the Portuguese coast on 26th July 1943 and sank. One source of reference says that one poerson died, another source indicates more than one.

I refer you to www.convoyweb.org which is a great site with tons of info on just about every convoy in WWII and many good links.
Another site worth a look is www.warsailors.com.

Regards John

Try googling-in 'El Argentino' in the search box. I did and up came a pic'

tonybakerw
17th September 2009, 23:08
Sailed with Houlders - to which I owe almost everything I became - from apprentice to Chief Officer from 1959 to 1976 when I saw the writing on the wall and left to go foreign flag. My ships were:
Orelia; Oswestry Grange; Bidford Priory; Thorpe Grange; Denby Grange; Avogadro; Beauval; Clerk Maxwell; Humboldt; Oremina; Shaftesbury; Westbury; Tewkesbury; Furness Bridge; Upwey Grange.
I can recall many of the fine men I sailed with in the extended Houlder family and would love to hear from any who have been fortunate, like me, to make it this far.
It has been a long and interesting road, perilous at times, filled with all of the usual human emotions and then some.
After I swallowed the anchor I became a Marine Superintendent in Long Beach California, then a Marine Surveyor, moved to Seattle (land of my dreams) became a consultant with London Offshore in Houston, Texas then General Manager of J.P. Knight's Guyana operation where I still labour away but now with Oldendorff. Look forward to hearing from any who remember me, however will now read this thread from end to end to see who is still around, or at least communicating. Cheers: Ian

Glad to see your still alive and kicking,most of them are now in that big dry dock in the sky.I was the leckie,i can remember many nights in the bar,and your choice of suites,randy howerd was chief and woodbridge the old man,I married the girl i met in waterford on the westbury in 1974 and we are still together,i own holiday homes in windermere and ireland and a commercial washing machine rental company,i left the sea in 1989 after a roller coaster life,i hit the big time with norse management singapore in 1982,i was pulling in a grand a week for over four years,i knew it couldn't last so i bought a guest house and every other piece of property i could in the lake district,the rest as they say is history.See our site www.windermereholidays.co.uk mention houlders bros and we will sort out a discount.I just wish i was 24 again.I have just built a four bedroom four bathroom mansion on two acres in county wexford,i am still trying to retire,but that is one hell of a garden and i hate gardening,maybe i will keep sheep.good luck.Leckie

Spike Wright
26th September 2009, 22:27
Hi, this is Les 'Spike' Wright here, new to this internet malarkey! Having a good time beginning to read through all these posts.

I joined Houlders in 1967 on the Queensbury as junior engineer, left her as senior third. Sailed on various ships: Sagamore; St Merriel; Sherwood; among others, also, worked on the Oregis converting it to a dive ship.

In 1976 I transferred to Houlder Marine Drilling on the Kings North UK. I remained on various drill rigs until retiring in 1999.

Some I remember but am yet to see on here (as I've only just started exploring the site) are: Henry Gittins who's father was the Lloyds surveyor in Rosario, Henry, I know had now passed away; Colin Wedlake; Mike Still in touch with: Bob Whitaker; Willie Jackson 'The Wrexham Wrecker'.

I have very fond memories of the company, even though now many of my ex-ship mates names now escape me (it might be the drink...!).

non descript
26th September 2009, 23:31
Nice to see you here Spike, you should find quite a few kindred spirits onboard... enjoy the trip. (Thumb)

George Simpson
26th September 2009, 23:33
Hi Spike I remember you from the KUK I swoped out with Cyril Stanton 1990 he went to the DKN in West Africa.

I was at a funeral recently and met up with Bob Whitaker and a few others a sad occasion but still good to see him and others looking well.

Abbeywood.
29th September 2009, 14:07
I joined Houlders in September 1959 and after a bit of 'coasting', I did my first trip in the 'Hornby Grange', serving as Junior Eng' 'C', the lowest of the low, and, like most 'first-trippers', I was sick as a dog.
I think the OM was named Kent and the CE was named Walker. The second Eng' came from the North-East, by name, John Dickinson. My immediate superior (i.e. Junior Eng' 'A') was a guy from L'pool called Charlie Drought who I later saw featured on the national TV News. as one of the survivors of the 'Atlantic Conveyor' in the Falklands difficulties.
I think the Sen. 3rd was Willy Lyle. Of the deck Dept the only one I can recall was the Mate, Rex Leach.
I managed to overcome 'mal-du-mer' and served in the ship for five trips before coasting the 'Thorpe Grange' and then transferring to the 'Rippingham Grange' in August of 1960. for a couple of runs down to NZ, running the full gamut of ports, - and 'five o'clock dashes', ashore. The Master for these two trips was Capt J.R.Faulkner
Last trip in Houlders colours took the ship down to the Cape for apples, under the command of Capt T Head.
On the way home a QM threw a wobbler and jumped o/board. The ship was turned immediately but the QM was never found, though the life-ring was recovered. The 2nd and 3rd Mates, with myself were witnesses to this unfortunate incident and were required at Court of Inquiry at Dock Street.
Incidentally the 2nd Mate was Craig Rich, who later became a weather fore-caster on Westward TV.
As the ship approached the Channel, another x-head bolt came loose and while the Port engine was shutdown to fix it, we carried on running on the Starb'd engine. At sometime during the repairs the MELO pump tripped out, un-noticed. Engines do require Lube Oil and the Starb'd one ran out the bearings. What a mess, and on the Chief' Harris' last trip. Retiring within two days
Got the Port eng' under-way and managed to crawl into Southampton, where half of Leadenhall Street office appeared, most seemingly on a day out at the Company's expense.
As the ships days were already numbered this incident was the final straw, and after struggling round to London we docked first in the Albert Dock to finish discharge and then moved up to the West India Dock, where the ship was sold for scrapping, to a Hong Kong outfit called Far East Marine Enterprises Ltd. She was re-named 'Abbeywood', after the first exchange in the London telephone Directory, and the buyers intended for her to pay her way.
Having reached the dizzy heights of 4th Eng' I was approached by new owners to join them for the delivery voyage,- destination then unknown.
Having been assured of a position with Houlders on my return, I agreed to go, sailing as Supernumery 3rd, little realising that the journey would extend to seven months, all on the Port engine, (the Starboard propeller shaft was secured by 8" steel joists bolted to the couplings, and welded to the Tunnel sides).
Calls included the USA, Cuba, Chile, Peru and the Philippines, (56 days from Callao to Manila, non-stop, 8 knots, and the engine never faltered)
After skirting a typhoon off Formosa, we eventually called at Kobe and Yokohama, to de-store and get rid of excess bunkers before finally sailing North to Hakodate, on Hokkaido, where the ship ended her days,
After reurning to the UK I coasted the 'Duquesa' before joining the 'Swan River'. Although I did five trips to B.A. in her, my Far East adventures had stimulated the wanderlust in me, and I left Houlder's and joined Bank Line.

tondav3137
5th October 2009, 18:40
Hi Bob Saild on the Rippingham Grange Jan 58 to about May 59 as Chippy
Tony D

James Evans
27th October 2009, 13:19
Hi All, I'm new to this forum having spent my time with the RFA, Everards and latterly dare I say it the Royal Navy.

I'm interested to find out if anyone here remembers my father Jim Evans who was a Catering Officer and latterly a purser with Houlder Brothers from the early 60's to around 1984.

Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago but I still have his discharge books which I'll dig out and try and get the dates and his ships on here.

I remember that his last few trips were on ore carriers into Port Talbot but prior to that he worked on some of the grange ships.

Please accept my apologies if this is a litle vague at the moment, once I get his discharge books I'll have more details.

Many Thanks,

James

non descript
27th October 2009, 13:49
James, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and a first posting - Let's see what we can do for you, as surely we have enough Houlders folk on here - Do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. (Thumb)

marinero
27th October 2009, 13:58
Hi All, I'm new to this forum having spent my time with the RFA, Everards and latterly dare I say it the Royal Navy.

I'm interested to find out if anyone here remembers my father Jim Evans who was a Catering Officer and latterly a purser with Houlder Brothers from the early 60's to around 1984.

Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago but I still have his discharge books which I'll dig out and try and get the dates and his ships on here.

I remember that his last few trips were on ore carriers into Port Talbot but prior to that he worked on some of the grange ships.

Please accept my apologies if this is a litle vague at the moment, once I get his discharge books I'll have more details.

Many Thanks,

James

Welcome to the site James.
I remember your father from the old days. I might have relieved him on the "Humboldt" although I cannot say exactly when(Memory loss, you know) Check his discharge book for a "Humboldt" entry so I can tie it in with mine.

Sorry to hear of his passing.

Regards (Thumb)

dixie dean
27th October 2009, 22:05
From Dixie Dean member,sailed on the oregis,dec 1966to june 1967,with my mate Jjmmy or Nev Sherbourne,electrician, sadly crossed the bar several years ago.Also Tewkesbury,august 1967 til may 1968,on various charters to japanese companys.

James Evans
27th October 2009, 22:25
Welcome to the site James.
I remember your father from the old days. I might have relieved him on the "Humboldt" although I cannot say exactly when(Memory loss, you know) Check his discharge book for a "Humboldt" entry so I can tie it in with mine.

Sorry to hear of his passing.

Regards (Thumb)

Hi,

I remember that he was on the Humboldt, I'm guessing here but that would have been around 1977 or 1978. I only remember because we did a trip with him between Tilbury, Blythe and Riga if my memory serves me. I'll have a look at his book though.

Thanks again,

James

MARINEJOCKY
28th October 2009, 15:11
Hi James,

I was 2/E on the Humbolt from December 78 until March 79 and I thought she had been on the Le Havre / Rouen to Riga run for a number of years before that. Your Dad's Discharge book would clear it all up. I can not remember names from back then and I am sorry to hear of your dads passing.

Robinj
29th October 2009, 13:58
Hi, I sailed with a purser called Jimmmy Evans either on the Oregis or Orelia middle 60's maybe this was your old man. Regards Robin

Many Thanks,

James

heathenscot
8th November 2009, 04:29
Hi Leo,
I joined the Joya McCance Apr/1962 and was wondeing if you sailed on her.
Regards Stan

marinero
9th November 2009, 18:54
Hi Leo,
I joined the Joya McCance Apr/1962 and was wondeing if you sailed on her.
Regards Stan

Hi Stan.

I certainly did sail on the "Joya McCance" and a very memorable trip that was.
I joined in Hamburg Dec. 1967 and paid off in Birkenhead July 1968. I think I could write a book about the adventures we had aboard her but not many people would believe it.

Regards Leo (Thumb)

Peter Silk
10th November 2009, 17:38
Hi all
I was with Houlder Bros from 73 to 77. sailed on the Clymene, Star Pinewood, Westbury, Ocean Transport, Banbury and Camarina
Peter Silk

BOB.WHITTAKER
17th November 2009, 11:15
In forum "The engine room" I made an entry under double acting diesels.Here I made reference to a group of stalwarts who were the backbone of Houlders round the land staff in the seventies .From memory I brought Alex (the silver fox), Ronnie Angel, Alec Cowderoy and now add Billie Astle the shore chippie/bosun (Big man in the Orange Lodge in Liverpool, he did claim to ride the white horse on the 12th of July), Harry Mayors and Don Gilbertson out of the Liverpool office. "Gilbo" went on to to the offshore operations where he used to see the lads off to the Oregis and also the Uncle John when working the North Sea. He would then dispense the white envelopes (offshore allowance) on their return. Can anyone add to the list !!!'

rob mcc
18th November 2009, 02:42
met most of the shore reliving crew on the meat boats hardwiche and the royston grange have fond memoties of rolly johnston [who i believe was a fine rugby player] also c/e owen roberts who i did a trip with to BA in 1971 on the royston grange

Bombersman
18th November 2009, 09:04
Hi rob. This is the first mention of Rolly Johnston that I have come across on these boards. I sailed with Rolly several times over the years between 1961 and 1966. The last I saw of him was when I joined the Bidford Priory as 2/E in 1965. our paths also crossed while carrying out relieving duties on the meat boats.

Rolly was a very nice bloke and always thoughtful for others.

Bob W.

norsea
20th November 2009, 23:07
I remember Rolly Johnston from my first trip as Apprentice in Cerinthus maiden voyage out of Belfast in October `54. Rolly was3/E along with C/E Mr McDonald, 2/E Roy Wilson and 4/E Charlie Roberts. Master was Capt.J.Auld from Wemyss Bay, C/O Mr Shaw, 2/O Hubbard and 3/O Reid.
Strange what one can remember from 55 years ago but don`t ask what I had for breakfast this morning!!!
Regards
Angus D.

Bombersman
21st November 2009, 16:55
Hi Angus.

C/E Mr McDonald wouldn't be a Rory McDonald by any chance? I sailed with a C/E named Rory McDonald on my first trip on the Brandon Priory. He left at Willenshaven when his brother Bill was relieved by Ellis Mason as 2/E after a brief two month trip. I think he left the Houlders in disgust at that point. This was in 1961.

I sailed with Roy Wilson a few years later on the Bidford Priory when he was C/E. Roy was a very amiable chief, who I never sailed with again. He had his wife with him when I sailed with him.

Kind regards

Bob W.

norsea
21st November 2009, 19:27
Hello Bob
Don`t know if it was the same McDonald. I think the C/E in Cerinthus in `54 would have been in his mid 40`s if that`s any help. I have a feeling that Roy Wilson may have done relief at some stage during my time as 2nd Mate in "Hardwicke Grange"
Kind Regards
Angus D

Bombersman
22nd November 2009, 10:43
Thank you for your reply Angus. This must have been a different McDonald as I don't think that the chief that I sailed with, from Glasgow, would have been more than about 35.

During my time with Houlders, I only did relief work in the Victoria Docks during unloading of the "Hardwicke Grange". This would have been in the early 60's and the only people who I recall that sailed with her were a Fred Capstick and Jackie Scotland both from the North East. I later sailed with Fred Capstick on the Brandon Priory.

Recalling those days always brings back happy memories.

Kind regards

Bob W.

Divad
23rd November 2009, 19:22
Can any of the Houlder experts help me with this quest. I am searching for a connection from the Urmston Grange to the town of Urmston south west of Manchester.

non descript
23rd November 2009, 20:35
Can any of the Houlder experts help me with this quest. I am searching for a connection from the Urmston Grange to the town of Urmston south west of Manchester.

I am far from an expert (on anything) but I will do my best to add something to the mix. - Whilst one can never be 100pct sure, as folk have a tendency to re-write history, I feel you are very safe to suggest that the name was taken in 1894, or close thereafter, when the first ship was given that name – the house, Urmston Grange was built in 1590-1630 and stood on Streford Road and sadly was demolished to make way for the M60 Motorway in 1957/8; such an association would be reasonable, seeing as the Denby Grange, was a similarly local name, from the town a little way to the North East of Urmston.

In passing there have only been two ships called Urmston Grange (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=192047), and the second one was the WW2 Empire Boat, EMPIRE PIBRAOCH from 1942.

norsea
23rd November 2009, 23:03
Hello again Bob
I remember Fred Capstick and Jackie Scotland very well from my time in "Hardwicke Grange" as 2nd Mate between July `63 and August `65 and again from November `68 to May `70.
I last met up with Jackie along with Jimmy Gray and electrician Willie Currie on board "Oregis" back in the late `70`s when she lay up off Invergordon.
At that time I was part of the skeleton lay-up crew.
Regards
Angus D

Divad
24th November 2009, 00:12
Tonga, would you know if company made use of the Grange names ad-hoc or was there an original Houlder family connection to these titles?
As an aside, my Grandmother had a flat in the old Urmston version until its demise.

MARINEJOCKY
24th November 2009, 00:26
Hi Bob,

I sailed with Jackie Scotland on my first trip when he was C/E and I was a cadet engineer on the Cumbria. He had just gotten married and had his wife with him.

I believe they were both from Hawick, a town I knew very well from playing football there and the lamb sales.

Bombersman
24th November 2009, 09:00
Angus said: -
"I remember Fred Capstick and Jackie Scotland very well from my time in "Hardwicke Grange" as 2nd Mate between July `63 and August `65..."

These dates, Angus, suggest that our paths may well have crossed, as it was during this time that I did quite a lot of relieving duties on the "meat boats".

Kind regards

Bob W.

Bombersman
24th November 2009, 13:36
Hello Malcolm.

I believe they were both from Hawick, a town I knew very well from playing football there and the lamb sales.

Back in the fifties I went to Hawick occasionally but knew Jedburgh better, where I stayed at the youth hostel "Ferniehist" several times. Hawick was supposed to have a high ratio of young females to males, but this was never apparent to me. Ferny is no longer a hostel.

Kind regards

Bob W.

ALAN TYLER
24th November 2009, 15:10
Tonga, would you know if company made use of the Grange names ad-hoc or was there an original Houlder family connection to these titles?
As an aside, my Grandmother had a flat in the old Urmston version until its demise.

I,ve taken the following from the book "100 Years of Houlders", Mr E.S. Houlder was living at "Fernwood" in Sutton, but in January 1878 they moved to the "Grange" in Sutton Surrey. This explains the reason for the companys adoption of the suffix " Grange" to all the Houlder liners. No information as to the use of the Maltese Cross on the companys house flag. The Hornby Grange being the first in 1890. It became custom for each "Grange" ship to have a picture of the the house or Grange after which the ship had been named on the stairs to the passenger saloon on board.
Regards Alan T.

Divad
24th November 2009, 15:26
Excellent Alan, thank you that tells a lot. I can format the explanation now to make some sense, the question is often asked and I hate to say, I don't know.

MARINEJOCKY
25th November 2009, 02:28
Hi Bob,

Next time back in Wark ask my dad all about Jedburgh as he was born there and we as kids went to stay there many a times with aunts etc.

Great fish and chips plus a lot of history with the abbey and the Mary queen of Scots house.

I think the oldest tree in Britain was just to the south of the town as well.

Bombersman
25th November 2009, 08:42
I think the oldest tree in Britain was just to the south of the town as well.
Yes, I know it well, having walked or staggered past it on my way back to the youth hostel several times.

I had intended getting out to see your folks at the back end of the summer, but never made it. I will return with my wife as requested, next summer.

Kind regards

Bob W.

rob mcc
27th November 2009, 02:15
sailed just the once with capt tom willcot [sadley because he was a real one off]i know he wrote a book on gas boats and talked about doing his autobiography i dont know if he ever did but if anyone has infomation i would be very interested

Jerry M
1st December 2009, 13:07
Yes he did write a book on Gas Ships titled "Liquified Petroleum Gas Tanker Practice" in 1977, Published by Brown, Son & Ferguson Ltd., 52 Darnley Street, Glasgow G41 2SG, ISBN 0 85174 295 5. I have a copy. I sailed many times with Tom finally as Chief Engineer with him on the Faraday in 1973 (Tom & Jerry), a finer Captain you could not find.

Jeremy Meadows

BOB.WHITTAKER
1st December 2009, 13:52
Anyone remember Ch.Eng. Bill Blaylock from I think East Boldon, I sailed on the Oean Transport as 2E with him. His wife Margret used to accompany him on many of his trips, including his last which was on the Furness Bridge where he was onboard as the "extra chief" tasked with setting up a spare gear system for the three sister ships Furness Bridge-Sir John Hunter-Sir Alexander Glen.This untill the working Chief had to be landed, due to I think an accident onboard .

steam train
1st December 2009, 23:01
Bill Blaylock,joined MV Abbey for a couple of trips with his wife.To set up spares system.This was about 1979. A very nice couple.Capt Rex Leach,C/E
S Pryde.
Steam Train

Katy Woolcott
2nd December 2009, 17:31
Hello all

This is the first time I've used this forum so here goes. Just a short line to say both myself and my dad (Captain Tom Woolcott), my mum, and the rest of my brothers and sisters have had some huge giggles reading these forums.

My mum who travelled on board ship alot with my brother and sisters remembers alot of you guys too. Sadly by the time I was born the novelty for travelling had worn off, so I remained on dry land.

Dad says a huge hello to those people who remember him!!

Bye for now Katy
Katy (daughter to Captain Tom Woolcott)

jearl28107
2nd December 2009, 18:31
Hi there,
I sailed on two (I think) of Houlders ships.One was my first ship - Oregis - then a couple of years later I was on the Bidford Priory (Houlders with charter to BP).
I`m pretty sure that Nobby Clark was the captain on the Priory.If I remember correctly
he was the Captain when we lost a steward over the wall - he was very very cut up about that and took it very seriously/badly

I was AB on the Bideford Priory at the time - in fact it was in Willumshaven.

jearl28107
2nd December 2009, 18:32
I was AB on the Bideford Priory at the time - in fact it was in Willumshaven.
Joe Earl

Katy Woolcott
2nd December 2009, 19:58
Hello all

This is the first time I've used this forum so here goes. Just a short line to say both myself and my dad (Captain Tom Woolcott), my mum, and the rest of my brothers and sisters have had some giggles reading this site, and dad sends his very warm regards to all those who remember him. My mum sends hers to, as she remembers a lot of the people on this site, as she use to travel on board with him alot.

Bye for now Katy (for and on behalf of Tom Woolcott).

Katy Woolcott
2nd December 2009, 20:07
Hi, I can confirm he (Tom Woolcott) started, and completed his book! and had it privately published, it includes everything, from starting off with the Royal Nayal, 2nd world war stratigic war fare, followed by all his Merchant Navy Sailings, including a chapter on "Go Gas Young Man."

Dad (Tom Woolcott) sends his warm regards.

Katy Woolcott (Daughter to Captain Tom Woolcott.

marinero
2nd December 2009, 20:21
Hello all

This is the first time I've used this forum so here goes. Just a short line to say both myself and my dad (Captain Tom Woolcott), my mum, and the rest of my brothers and sisters have had some giggles reading this site, and dad sends his very warm regards to all those who remember him. My mum sends hers to, as she remembers a lot of the people on this site, as she use to travel on board with him alot.

Bye for now Katy (for and on behalf of Tom Woolcott).

Hello Katy and welcome to the site.

Please give my regards to your Dad. I sailed with him on the "Cavendish" for quite a while. Ask him if he remembers ringing John Houlder to say that he wanted the ship lightened before taking it upriver to Buenos Aires, to the annoyance of the Supers. Also, whilst in Japan, him and the Ch, Eng. John Coates bringing back to the ship a road sweeper they had met, to ply him with drink.
He used to fascinate us with his stories about the problems with the Jewish refugees and the troubles in Palestine whilst he was serving in the RN.

I trust he is in good health.
Regards Leo (Thumb)

PS. Where can I get a copy of his book.

non descript
2nd December 2009, 23:49
Katy it is a pleasure to see you on here, well done and welcome; a well done also for looking after your Dad so very well and escorting him to and from the 25 Club Lunch. (Thumb)

rob mcc
3rd December 2009, 02:40
hi katy best regards to yourself and your father i hope he is well the last time i saw him we where trying to get the ballast out of the atlantic splender[i very inapropreat name for that particueler ship] that was over twenty years ago in another world PS i would also like to read his book

steam train
3rd December 2009, 20:20
Hello Katy

Warm welcome to you and your father,hope you are both well.I sailed with your father on the MV Lynton Grange in 1978.Fred Hendry was C/E,followed by Chris Olsen.

Regards
Steam train

BOB.WHITTAKER
3rd December 2009, 23:05
Tom Woolcott , I did one brief trip from Le Havre to Riga and left from the Kiel Canal on the return run in 1972 on "The Humboldt",three of us Wintle /Whittaker/Wright as extra engineers . We of course had one of Tom's "BANZAI" runs ashore under armed escort to the International Seamans Club in Riga where we sampled the best of company and champagne.

NINJA
4th December 2009, 17:52
Does any one remember Tom and his pet sheep in France?

non descript
4th December 2009, 20:16
Does any one remember Tom and his pet sheep in France?

Although I can dine out on endless stories of the Riga to Rouen run (and the Friesian Cows Story is a favourite), the sheep story and has evaded me; I guess it is over to ewe….

NINJA
4th December 2009, 20:20
Maybe Captain Tom via Katy would like to relate the story.

marinero
5th December 2009, 11:31
Maybe Captain Tom via Katy would like to relate the story.

C'mon Katy, drag it out of your Dad.

Here is a true story of the "Cavendish"

One Saturday, doing Accom. Inspection we entered a young JOS's cabin with lots of pictures on the bulkhead of nubile ladies. Tom said it wasn't good for young people to be exposed to such images and took them down. We repaired to his cabin after inspection for pre lunch drinks and Tom put the pictures on his desk. A few minutes later there was a knock on the door and this JOS entered, gathered up the pictures and said "Captain, if you want any girlie pictures, get your own" and stormed out. The Captain was nonplussed to say the least.

Regards (Thumb)

norsea
9th December 2009, 22:49
I had the pleasure of sailing as 1st Mate with Capt Tom Woolcott in "Avogadro" way back in `65. That`s possibly when we were both introduced to the gas trade. On one occasion, carrying Anhydrous Ammonia there was an explosion in a compressor (the pump room was in the fo`c`sle) and Captain Tom appeared in cloud of gas, worried only that his uniform jacket was in a mess. Happy Days!!!
Best Regards
Angus D.

rob mcc
17th December 2009, 03:05
houlders ships and crew in my time were sorted out by capt parkin and mr batch as he was afectunaly called i never found out what happened to them after the furness whithy amalgimation [if that is the correct term]i would really like to here about two people who played a major part in my life

MARINEJOCKY
17th December 2009, 03:25
The last I heard "Batch" was working at the Tower of London but that was many years ago.

Bob, were you on the Humbolt after she ran all of the bearings after some one cut the alarms off on the lube oil system and switched the pump off or was there another reason for having 3 extra engineers onboard.

B.Bass
17th December 2009, 04:31
I heard that "Batch" went to work at Buckingham Palace when it was opened up to the public,along with a personnel man from France,Fenwicks,whose name escapes me now.

non descript
17th December 2009, 08:44
houlders ships and crew in my time were sorted out by capt parkin and mr batch as he was afectunaly called i never found out what happened to them after the furness whithy amalgimation [if that is the correct term]i would really like to here about two people who played a major part in my life

Amalgamation is one word; I would tend to use ‘disastrous compound’ on the basis that an amalgam is a mixing of two separate things that blend together to form a worthwhile union, whilst a compound is chemical union where the different elements are joined forcefully placed together regardless of whether they wanted to be… I believe that certain parties have been known to refer to Furness Withy as TBFW, and to be frank it was not until I contacted Companies House that I discovered the first two words of the title were not the official name of the Group…(Jester)

I believe Captain Parkin has passed away, whilst Batch I am unsure about, but like you would welcome news of; he was a very decent man.
(Thumb)
Mark

norsea
17th December 2009, 13:38
I remember Captain D.A.Parkin as a very strict but fair Master during part of my apprenticeship in Oregis.After leaving particularly dusty ports e.g. Pepel in West Africa he never failed to man the wash down hose after clearing port.
Much later we met up again when he was in Superintendents Dept. and I was serving in Oregis after her conversion to Diving Support.
Regards
Angus D.

marinero
17th December 2009, 16:57
You're correct Tonga in saying that Capt. Parkin had passed away, many years ago now. I worked for him in the Personnel Dept. of Houlders and that was indeed a pleasure. I remember in one instance where I had been taken to an Industrial Tribunal for letting go a troublesome crew member and with his help I won the case.
As Brian stated earlier "Batch" did go to Buckingham Palace, but where he is now, I don't know.
Another stalwart from those days was Mike Louis but I don't know what became of him either.

Regards

NINJA
17th December 2009, 21:36
Batch did go to work at Buckingham Palace, yo which he gave Dai Davies an invite to visit the Palace which was greatfully recieved.

rob mcc
18th December 2009, 02:03
malcolm i was on the humboldt as 3/e from feb to june 1980 i believe this was after the lub oil/bearing incident we did not have any extra engineers on board in fact we were short handed the 2/e had a nervious breakdown on the way to riga we had to humour him for quite a while till we got back to kiel cannal to send him home under medical supervision cpt dave allen and his wife were great during this i felt i was stuck between bobo and the ice breaker[anyone who has sailed on the humboldt in whinter will knouw what i mean] i eventualy escaped after drydock at emden

MARINEJOCKY
18th December 2009, 02:37
Hi Rob, my fault, I meant to ask Bob Whittaker the question you answered after reading his post # 593. He had written that he was one of 3 extra engineers onboard and I thought it was because of the rebuild of the Humbolts engine after running it with no lube oil.

I was 2/E on her leaving in March 1979 and was stuck in the same place as you. I nailed him when running into the control room when we blacked out going up the forjd and we ran aground. He was standing there trying to sync a genny and we were blacked out, honest I did not see him. Regards, ME

Ian McHamish
18th December 2009, 14:12
hello everyone,
am here on behalf of my dad mike waterton who i know will be chuffed to take part in this site if anyone remembers him.
Hello Paul,
Give my regards to your father, my name is Ian McHamish, we were at 'Boulevard' together as cadets, and both Joined 'Houlders' in 1954.
We never sailed on the same ship, but we were back in Hull at the same time for all our 'tickets'.
Passed the 'Masters' at the same time, Mike went back to 'Houlders' and I went to 'Palm Line'.
Glad to know he is fit and well,

Ian McHamish
18th December 2009, 17:21
Hi I am searching for anyone who sailed on m.v.Queensbury from May 1954 till March 1956. My husband Kenneth Collins who died in 2005 was Chief Electrician on this ship I have his Log Book with dates and I take it that it is his Captain W Jaidler who signed his discharged book when he decided to come ashore. Would aprreciate to hear from anyone who knew Ken. Best wishes, Happy New Year. Jean Collins

The Captain of the 'Queensbury' was Capt W. Laidler, the Chief officer G.Spong. I sailed on her around the time as an apprentice deck officer, but unfortuneately I don't recall your husband. (such a long time ago) I do remember that all the deck crew including the 'bo'sun' were all Shetland Islanders, and all ex-Salvensons (Whalers). In my time at sea (21 years) were the best deck crew I've had the pleasure to sail with.

rob mcc
20th December 2009, 01:33
was both lucky and unlucky on the humbol by some mirical we never blacked out dispite the fact that the armature for the port alt was somewhere ashore in germany and the stbd machine was kept going by stealing bits off the port unit the wonderfull centre machine was never shut down until drydock at emden where it was stripped down for survey and guess what we had no piston rings or spares for the govenor what followed was the usual last few days workup and the in everatable breakdown out of drydock on the plus side the food was good i had a fidge and a nice shower and most of the crew were spot on

ALAN TYLER
20th December 2009, 16:05
hello everyone,
am here on behalf of my dad mike waterton who i know will be chuffed to take part in this site if anyone remembers him.

Hi Paul I also worked offshore with your dad, please give him my best regards. Alan T.

BOB.WHITTAKER
21st December 2009, 23:15
Hi Paul , I worked with your father on Oregis and Uncle John , he was a car buff if I remember ,I think it was a Lancia Gamma coupe when I knew him. Tell him Big Jim Gilchrist is 60 next year and wants a meeting in Teneriffe of ex H.O. personnel (I gather thats where he living) very tentative at the moment . Best regards to him Bob Whittaker .

John Jenkins
27th December 2009, 09:35
Hi, Batch initially worked at the Queens Art Gallery. I worked in the office for a year with him and Mike Louis. There was also the ex RMT chap whos name I cannot remember. I remember he lived for a long time at Clapham Common in an RMT flat.

John J

You're correct Tonga in saying that Capt. Parkin had passed away, many years ago now. I worked for him in the Personnel Dept. of Houlders and that was indeed a pleasure. I remember in one instance where I had been taken to an Industrial Tribunal for letting go a troublesome crew member and with his help I won the case.
As Brian stated earlier "Batch" did go to Buckingham Palace, but where he is now, I don't know.
Another stalwart from those days was Mike Louis but I don't know what became of him either.

Regards

John Jenkins
27th December 2009, 10:46
I have just found Batch's retirement notice in the log, it was 12 October 1980, after serving 43 years, not many people will make that length of service today. I als found Arthur Ling (Eng Cadet Training) retirement notice on 28 Feb 1981 after 47 years.

JJ

I heard that "Batch" went to work at Buckingham Palace when it was opened up to the public,along with a personnel man from France,Fenwicks,whose name escapes me now.

non descript
27th December 2009, 10:48
Well done John, thank you. (Thumb)

George Simpson
27th December 2009, 11:20
John the guy your refering to was Bill Connolly and it was the NUS not RMT. Bill had a heart attack and passed away just over 4yrs ago in Aberdeen.

marinero
29th December 2009, 11:17
John the guy your refering to was Bill Connolly and it was the NUS not RMT. Bill had a heart attack and passed away just over 4yrs ago in Aberdeen.

George.
Is that the same flat that John Prescott shared?

Regards (Thumb)

George Simpson
29th December 2009, 14:44
George.
Is that the same flat that John Prescott shared?

Regards (Thumb)
Leo, John stayed next door when they were in Maritime House, when Bill worked with Houlders in London he lived in Raynham in Essex (sorry if the spellings wrong). John sent a nice note to me when Bill passed away to pass on to his family, unfortunetly I didn't have a forwarding address, as it arrived after the funeral. I think they shared accommodation when they went to Ruskin back in the late 60's. Bill was a good friend to me and is sadly missed.

marinero
29th December 2009, 16:34
Hi George.
There was another Union Convenor associated with Bill who also lived near him in Essex, a lovely Scottish bloke called Dick (don't remember his surname) They used to drink in the Working Man's Club near where they lived. He had a son called Callum who came to work offshore on the Kingsnorth Rigs. Some of the stories they used to tell about some of the wheeling and dealing that went on in the old days would fill a book.

Regards (Thumb)

George Simpson
29th December 2009, 21:51
Leo that would have been Dick Jameison he worked in a few branches I believe mainly Rotterdam.

Regards

ALAN TYLER
30th December 2009, 14:43
Talking of Bill, there,s a news correspondent with the BBC and he,s called Kevin Connelly and is the spitting image of Bill. I,ve often wondered if he was related?

Geoff of Hull
4th January 2010, 05:29
One name from the past,anyone know of his where abouts now is Eddie Downing I lost touch with him quite a while back,he lived in Milton Keynes last I heard of him ..I sailed with him on the Hornby Grange about 1980..

saltyswamp
8th January 2010, 11:54
All this talk of Batch Trying to remember who replaced him in personal.
regards Stuart

marinero
8th January 2010, 12:32
All this talk of Batch Trying to remember who replaced him in personal.
regards Stuart

Morning Stuart and A Happy New Year.

The following People were in the Personnel Office just before the merging with FW to the best of my knowledge were.

Capt. Parkin/Bill Connelly/Mike Louis/Bob Odle(young Bob had been a cadet injured at sea and was employed ashore) Of these I think Bill Connelly was the one who replaced him. There were others of course but my memory is not what it was.

FW staff brought in were, Ian Sherwood/Wally Watson/Brian Cater, once again there were others whose names elude me.

Ian Sherwood later left to set up his own company "Delta Marine Services"
which I believe is still going strong.

Hope this helps.

Regards (Thumb)

Katy Woolcott
8th January 2010, 15:45
It is with great sadness that on the 31st of December 2009 at 10.12pm we said good bye to Tom Woolcott for the last time. He had a long and happy life, with many fond memories of his merchant shipping days. We will be celebrating his life on Thursday the 21st January at 10.00 am at Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Leigh on Sea, Essex.

We plan to put two notices in the Times and Telegraph which will read as follows:-

Captain T.W.V. Woolcott (11.2.25 to 31.12.09) author of both "Liquified Petroleum Gas Tanker Practice" and "A Sailor's Testimony". Funeral, to be held on Thursday 21st January 2010 at Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Leigh on Sea, Essex. No flowers please, but at Dad's request donations to CAFOD (Catholic Agency for Overseas Development) would be gratefully received via Sue Stibbard of Stibbards (Funeral Undertakers) www.stibbard.co.uk t. 0800 1970 558.

If anybody who new dad would like any further information please do not hesitate to contact me on 0208 692 4882 (there is an answer phone facility which is checked daily, so I can take messages, and return calls) or alternatively by my email:- katywoolcott@hotmail.com

Dad was a true one off, a complete peace maker with a complete inability to make enemys, and whilst he may not be physically with us anymore, he will forever live within our hearts.

non descript
8th January 2010, 15:53
Dear Katy,

When I saw your username appear, I had a sense of foreboding for what I might find in terms of news. – Thank you for the extra courtesy you have shown by letting us know; your loss is sad, very sad; but time is an earthbound creature and Tom’s spirit lives on.

My condolences to you and your family; your father was a very decent man.

Best wishes
Mark

R58484956
8th January 2010, 16:00
Katy, Sincere condolences on the loss of your father. RIP

Billieboy
8th January 2010, 16:24
My sincere condolences Katy, I've often referred to Tom's book on Gas Tanker practice. A very sad time, R.I.P. Tom.

MARINEJOCKY
8th January 2010, 16:58
Katy,

A great guy to be with on any of the "Firey Kippers"

My condolences to you and your family, R.I.P.

Malcolm Elliott

marinero
8th January 2010, 17:33
Katy.

It is with great sadness to read of the passing of your father. Please pass on my sincere condolences to all of the family. He was a good man.

God Speed Tom.

Regards

Leo

saltyswamp
8th January 2010, 22:01
Morning Stuart and A Happy New Year.

The following People were in the Personnel Office just before the merging with FW to the best of my knowledge were.

Capt. Parkin/Bill Connelly/Mike Louis/Bob Odle(young Bob had been a cadet injured at sea and was employed ashore) Of these I think Bill Connelly was the one who replaced him. There were others of course but my memory is not what it was.

FW staff brought in were, Ian Sherwood/Wally Watson/Brian Cater, once again there were others whose names elude me.

Ian Sherwood later left to set up his own company "Delta Marine Services"
which I believe is still going strong.

Hope this helps.

Regards (Thumb)

Wally watson was the guy i think dealt mostly with him thanks Leo and a happy New Year to you.
regards
stuart
ps never came across tom but his reputation went before him R.I.P

veste
8th January 2010, 22:40
Katy,
Sorry to hear of the passing of your father, my condolences to you and family. Sailed with Captain Woolcott on the Cavendish, i was third mate at the time.
Kindest Regards veste.

merrymagpie
9th January 2010, 12:30
Tom Woolcott = Houlder's legend

R.I.P. Captain Tom

Mike Bartle

steam train
9th January 2010, 18:49
Dear Katy,

So sorry to hear the sad news of your dear Dad.I sailed with Captain Tom on the M.V. Lynton Grange,great memories.I was 3rd engineer at the time.

Kind regards
Dave.

norsea
9th January 2010, 22:33
Dear Katy,
May I add my condolences to those already expressed. I had the pleasure of sailing with your Dad in Avogadro and will always retain happy memories.
Kind Regards
Angus Davidson

NINJA
10th January 2010, 14:20
Katy,

Sailed with your father on the Cavendish, some people you sail with you have a job remembering them but after a six month trip with your father there was no chance of forgetting him, what a character and very good memories.

My condolences to you and your family.

Tom.

duquesa
10th January 2010, 15:12
Katy, I only met your father once, many years ago when he was still C/O. You have my sincere condolences.

Another Murphy
11th January 2010, 17:39
Katy, sincere condolences, sailed with your father when he was Master of the “Faraday” A very sad loss.

Katy Woolcott
15th January 2010, 10:18
To all of the above respondants.

Thank you very much for all your kind words. I have printed them off and circulated them all to my family.

Thank you all.

Kind regards
Katy

non descript
15th January 2010, 10:54
Thank you Katy for that kind response; very thoughtful of you at what is a difficult time for you and the family; and much appreciated, as indeed was your father.

Abbeywood.
2nd February 2010, 13:30
I am trying to find out about the loss of the El Argentio in WW 11. She was bombed and sunk in a convoy that I sailed in. I would like to know were there survivors and any others information. Do you perhaps know who to ask? Sincerely Neill Carslaw

Having sailed with an old Engineer who, in turn, had sailed in the Urmston Grange, which was the sister-ship of the El Argentino .
The story of the latters sinking was partly the result of a major difference betwen the ships, in that the engine control positions were on the lower plates of the Urmston', whereas they were placed on the 'tops' in the 'El Argentino'.
I was led to believe, from the telling, that an aircraft bomb dropped down the funnel and exploded on the 'tops' killing the watchkeepers and obviously creating sufficient damage, along with other air strikes, to cause the ship to sink.

non descript
2nd February 2010, 18:51
Having sailed with an old Engineer who, in turn, had sailed in the Urmston Grange, which was the sister-ship of the El Argentino .
The story of the latters sinking was partly the result of a major difference betwen the ships, in that the engine control positions were on the lower plates of the Urmston', whereas they were placed on the 'tops' in the 'El Argentino'.
I was led to believe, from the telling, that an aircraft bomb dropped down the funnel and exploded on the 'tops' killing the watchkeepers and obviously creating sufficient damage, along with other air strikes, to cause the ship to sink.

Most interesting, thank you Sir. (Thumb)

brian seward
12th February 2010, 04:35
I sailed on the "Fort Ash" under Houlders to the River Plate in Jan 1947 The Capt was named Lougheed. The ship was a coal burner and we used to go help the firemen trim the coal. it was so hot down in the stokehold.
Brian

tapdnalop
16th February 2010, 18:19
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/houlder.htm
Just thought i would put this link in for those of you who mighr not have seen it.

i was the j.o.s. on the Faraday 16/7/74 - 7/1/75 i dont know if any one remembers when i got injured down the hold when the pump fell on my hands
we where replacing it, it was rigged from the gas riser down to the hold when the strop snapped. the bosun was Cyril Sontag.

steve fairmaner
20th February 2010, 22:38
Looks like I'm too late for messages about Houlders. I was a Navigating apprentice from 1969 - first ship Brandon Priory sailing from Rotterdam. Sailed on Bideford Priory too a year or two later. Also a Shell Charter Think it was the Clymene? Ore carrier too. Best time was 18 months running to S America on the St Merriel before she was laid up Anyone recall that time?
Steve

MARINEJOCKY
20th February 2010, 23:10
Steve, you are never too late for messages from Houlder Bros' guys. There are alot of us on here and you will see the replies. Welcome to the site and I encourage to post anything you want, we even have a "stormy weather" thread were the rougher stuff goes on and I seem to spend alot of my time.

Tonga and Marinero are two along with me and many others who are from that time that you mentioned.

Best Regards

non descript
21st February 2010, 12:05
Steve, a warm welcomje to you; and indeed, as MJ has said, ‘never too late’ and you will find a whole hoard of Maltese Cross Folk on here. The Clymene (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=43351) would certainly fit the bill as a Shell chartered (clean) oil ship – unlike the World’s Favourite Tanker which was a black oil ship. The long period timecharter ship to BP was the Bidford Priory (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26945). (Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
21st February 2010, 12:54
Hi there, My name is Dennis Larder and I sailed in various Houlder Brother ships and also Offshore on the Uncle John, Oregis and Orelia I served Deep Sea on the Hardwicke Grange (5 times) Ocean Transport (4 times) Star Pinewood ( when we ran aground off Vancouver and suffered an engine room fire off the Aluetions and had to limp back to Japan for repairs) Clerk Maxwell, Banbury (2times), Westbury (twice) Oswestry Grange, Upway Grange and the went Offshore with Houlders. I would welcome any news from any one I sailed with.

Hi Dennis, I sailed on the Hardwicke in 1974 I,m sure you were on it at the same time if not we were definitley together Offshore at sometime in the 70s/80s on the Oregis or UJ.

ALAN TYLER
21st February 2010, 13:03
I am trying to find out about the loss of the El Argentio in WW 11. She was bombed and sunk in a convoy that I sailed in. I would like to know were there survivors and any others information. Do you perhaps know who to ask? Sincerely Neill Carslaw

There is a good account of the sinking of the El Argentino in the book "Sea Hazard" which was published by Houlders. I would gratefully copy it for you in an e-mail if you are still looking for information on the ship in question. Alan.

Dinah
28th February 2010, 23:56
Hi there

My Dad (Edward Turner ("Teddy") captained the Clutha River many years ago, but I cannot find any real detail about her. He Died 42 years ago so it was a while ago. We have some pics in the family so I'll ask to see if anyone has one.

Happy Xmas Tim Turner

Tim

I've just been catching up on the Houlder postings after a long absence and have just seen your note about your father. I sailed under him for 3 voyages between 1958 and 1960 on the Ledbury whilst serving out my time as deck apprentice. He was a really nice man with no airs and graces. I was surprised to see that he died, presumably, in 1963, and possibly still in service.

My second voyage on the Ledbury was pretty stressful for everyone, particularly for your father. We sailed from Tilbury one week before Christmas 1959 bound for Hamilton Bermuda, a 13 day voyage. No sooner had we left than we ran into bad weather. From then on it was bad weather all the way. After leaving the Western Approaches we hit mountainous seas with winds for most of the way between 8 -12, never less than 6. The sky never cleared so no sights were taken and we went the whole way on dead reckoning. We had two men on the wheel, including myself at times and your father spent many sleepless hours on the bridge. Some years earlier the ship had split midships across the deckplates in a typhoon off Japan (as Liberty ships were prone to do), had managed to limp into Yokohama to have doubling plates added right around the hull. Fortunately they held, but the ship was certainly put to the test. To add to the difficulties the radar broke down (wartime model I think), DF didn't work and the echo sounder broke down. When we got to where Bermuda should have been on dead reckoning it wasn't there. We had to steam around for 24 hours until we picked up the loom of a lighthouse. We finally made Hamilton after 26 days, 13 days overdue. There was an article describing our experience in the local paper under the heading "Cargo ships had worst ever voyage here" and mentioned your father. My daughter recently visited Bermuda and was able to get a copy for me from the newspaper's archives. I could tell you a lot more about that voyage. Let me know if you are interested.

CokaCola
1st March 2010, 15:30
Hello everyone.

I wonder if anyone remembers my dad, Thomas Stephen? He sailed with Houlder Brothers in the 60s; he was an engineer and sailed on ore carriers and oil tankers. Abadesa, Oregis and Ormina are a few names which I remember, though doubtless there were others.
My mum and I sailed with him in the early 60s, before I started school. I believe one of my favourite past-times was to roll a can of coke along the floor and then ask some unsuspecting soul to open it for me. I apologise now for the many soakings I must have occasioned. ;)
Sadly my dad passed away in 1981, a Merchant Navy man to the end, but it would be lovely to hear from anyone who remembers him.

Ellen-Ann

rob mcc
23rd March 2010, 03:34
i was very sad to hear of the death of captain tom woolcott he was one of natures true gentlemen he was also the most itelegent man i had the priverage to sail under i would love to read his book [a sailior testomy]and would be gratefull if anyone could give invomation as to how i could obtain a copy

chris Head
4th April 2010, 18:52
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has the knowledge of the whereabouts of Peter St Claire originally Norwood, who travelled with my late Father Tom Head on the Hardwicke Grange, as chief Steward in 1969.
My mother would early love to make contact or hear from him, so any help would be appreciated, last known to be residing in Alicante.
Many thanks in anticipation
Chris Head

marinero
5th April 2010, 17:26
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has the knowledge of the whereabouts of Peter St Claire originally Norwood, who travelled with my late Father Tom Head on the Hardwicke Grange, as chief Steward in 1969.
My mother would early love to make contact or hear from him, so any help would be appreciated, last known to be residing in Alicante.
Chris Head

Hi Chris.
I would also like to locate Peter. I did my first trip in Houlders with him on the "Abadesa" in 1962. Sailed with him again on the meat boats. If you find him please PM me the details.

Regards (Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
6th April 2010, 13:27
Hi Leo Happy Birthday to you. Talking of Chief Stewards and the Hardwicke, I was on the her with Paddy O,Regan in 1974, wonder if he,s still about as he was one of the "Old" school like George Black who I was with on the Furness Bridge. Regards Alan

MARINEJOCKY
6th April 2010, 14:19
Leo, Happy birthday, is that you reaching 50 at long last.

marinero
6th April 2010, 16:04
Alan, thanks for the greetings. I also sailed with Paddy on the "Royston" as you say, one of the old school. Never met George Black although I was on the "Furness Bridge" for two years.

Hi Malcolm. I cannot remember when I was 50, it's such a long time ago. Mind you though I did reach my aim of retiring at 55 and never regretted it, although I still miss being at sea but I doubt that will ever change.
At least this site gives you the chance to reminisce, which is nice.

Regards (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
6th April 2010, 16:15
My daughter will be three the day I turn 55 so the chance of me retiring any time soon are well out of the question. I thought you were younger than me (*)) or was it just because you had an easier job. Hee Hee

marinero
6th April 2010, 18:31
My daughter will be three the day I turn 55 so the chance of me retiring any time soon are well out of the question. I thought you were younger than me (*)) or was it just because you had an easier job. Hee Hee

No Way, it's just because I'm better looking than you and look younger, mind you though the job was pretty relaxed.

Regards (Thumb)

JohnMac068
7th April 2010, 23:25
Leo, Happy birthday, is that you reaching 50 at long last.

Yes Leo, Happy Birthday from me as well, don't worry the older you get,the more you appreciate life, take it from me !! Enjoy.

John

duquesa
8th April 2010, 00:12
If Paddy is still about he must be in the region of 90!

marinero
8th April 2010, 17:50
If Paddy is still about he must be in the region of 90!

I heard quite a while ago that Paddy had died although I have never had it confirmed, as you say, he must be getting on now if he is still going.

Thanks for that John. I am certainly enjoying being retired, the trouble is though, I lose track of the days and the memory is a bit suspect as well. (Who did you say you were)

Regards (Thumb)

chadders
12th April 2010, 22:03
(Thumb)Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has the knowledge of the whereabouts of Peter St Claire originally Norwood, who travelled with my late Father Tom Head on the Hardwicke Grange, as chief Steward in 1969.
Chris Head

Hi Chris, Can't help with locating Peter but I am interested in his whereabouts. I sailed with him and your father on your fathers last voyage on the Hardwicke 1976/77. I was Second Mate and after an interesting start to the voyage got on very well with TAG! In Avonmouth your mother remarked that she had never seen a Second Mate sat having a beer with your Dad, we actually shared a few that trip on a Sunday lunchtime in port.
Regards Chadders

lostsoul
10th May 2010, 22:37
Chris Head

Hi

Did your Dad do a trip on the Royston

chris Head
3rd June 2010, 22:01
Hi Lostsoul
Yes Dad did Master the Royston, along with the Hornby and others, did you sail with him?
Chris Head

raymond lima
14th June 2010, 12:17
Hi, I sailed on two of Houlders: "Newbury" 8.10.56-13.7.57 and the "Clutha River" 22.12.58-10.8.59. They were a good company when i was with them and the food was very good. They were clean ships and there was plenty of o/time. The Clutha River had a problem on route from Long Beach to Punta Cadon as the stern glad started to leak and fill the engine room with water. Being in ballast the pumpman moved ballast from the after tanks to forward to bring shaft out of water. They then repacked the prop gland from within. She had been in drydock in Bailey's Barry but they had not done the gland.

Billieboy
14th June 2010, 20:02
Hi, I sailed on two of Houlders: "Newbury" 8.10.56-13.7.57 and the "Clutha River" 22.12.58-10.8.59. They were a good company when i was with them and the food was very good. They were clean ships and there was plenty of o/time. The Clutha River had a problem on route from Long Beach to Punta Cadon as the stern glad started to leak and fill the engine room with water. Being in ballast the pumpman moved ballast from the after tanks to forward to bring shaft out of water. They then repacked the prop gland from within. She had been in drydock in Bailey's Barry but they had not done the gland.

Not the first time that Baileys missed the stern gland, but I know that it wasn't missed on purpose!

tell
16th June 2010, 02:28
anyone remember a guy named Mason ? he was an ab on the langton grange with me, he was an ex army Major . how he ended up as a common or Garden ab I never found out

duquesa
16th June 2010, 21:52
Tell, when were you on the Langton?

tell
17th June 2010, 01:54
paid off in Sept 1953

tell
2nd July 2010, 03:01
Tell, when were you on the Langton?

I payed off in 1953 does that help?, Terry Butler

BOB.WHITTAKER
9th August 2010, 22:57
Unfortunately one of the company,s characters from the 70s and 80s deepsea on Gas Tankers (Cavendish) and Offshore on Uncle John electrician DAI DAVIES passed away yesterday Sunday 8th of August . There is no doubt in my mind he will be remembered . " Happy Days DAI " Bob Whittaker

duquesa
9th August 2010, 23:16
Tel, tks. Before my time. I was on her at the end just before she went to the razor blade factory. All on board were quite depressed about that. Head was Master & Sutcliffe C/O.

MARINEJOCKY
9th August 2010, 23:45
Sorry to hear about Dai, I sailed with him on the Cavendish at least once.

My condolences to his family if you are in touch with them.

R.I.P.

Malcolm Elliott

saltyswamp
9th August 2010, 23:51
Unfortunately one of the company,s characters from the 70s and 80s deepsea on Gas Tankers (Cavendish) and Offshore on Uncle John electrician DAI DAVIES passed away yesterday Sunday 8th of August . There is no doubt in my mind he will be remembered . " Happy Days DAI " Bob Whittaker

I remember DAI from the Humbolt was with him when no overtaking sign fell into his pocket in Petit Couronne.
R.I.P

stuart

marinero
10th August 2010, 17:43

Bob, that is indeed sad news. I learnt about it from Marinejockey on another post. Pass my condolences to his family if you are in touch.
I have many good memories about Dai especially on the "Cavendish"
"God Speed Dai"

Regards

George Simpson
10th August 2010, 17:46
A gentleman and a character who will be remembered by all who sailed with him, both deep-sea and offshore.

ALAN TYLER
11th August 2010, 12:30

Very sad to hear of Dai,s passing, condolences to all his family. Alan T.

norsea
19th August 2010, 23:53
Posts on Hardwicke Grange conjures up happy memories of over 25 years service with Houlders,Commencing in 1954. I served on the Hardwicke from July 63 to Nov 64 with Capt Roy Faulkner and then to Jan 65 with Capt T A G Head.
After serving in Avogadro-Joule-Orelia-Cerinthus and Mabel Warwick I rejoined the Hardwicke again with Capt Head in Nov 68 until May 70, a total of seven voyages. One job I was always proud of was hving the cargo plans ready for dispatch to London within fifteen minutes of receipt of the final tally sheets.
During my time on the Hardwicke my wife Lynda and I had the great pleasure to be guests at Paddy O`Regan`s wedding in St Finbars Cathedral in Cork.
Along with some other guests we were accommodated in the Country Club,and,typically of the man,when I went to settle the bill it had already been taken care of.
Much to my regret when I left the ship we completely lost touch.
Angus D.

brinew
22nd October 2010, 19:32
I sailed as assistant steward on the Oredian mostly out of port talbot FEb 57 to Sept 57 Captain Boothby Was the Old Man R 588476 Brian Newton Joined the ship in Hartlepool

rob mcc
24th October 2010, 03:00
I was wondering if anyone remembers the young ladies who sailed with houlders i recall a cadet [jane riley]and a second mate[allison] plus a few whoose names have been obscured by time it would be interesting to knowwhat happened to them and how their carears went

Welsh Dragon
24th October 2010, 21:27
Yea remember them all. Photo of Sue via link will dig out pictures of others and post them.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/191001/title/sue-app-and-chief-stew/cat/500

tondav3137
26th October 2010, 20:47
Hi Ian
I sailed in Houlders on the Rippingham Grange, great trip ( 1959-60) also one trip on Mable Warwick she was a bad sea ship, but we got there and back, cheers Bill atkins

Bill I was on the Rip from Jan58 to June 59. I signed on has chippys mate on a nine monther to NZ we had a south african chippy who was a plonky never saw him at sea and he was payed off in New York halfway thro the trip I was premoted to chippy and the I rejoined has chippy for a five monther back to NZ. under charter to Shaw Savill I enjoyed my time on her. I think we may have crossed paths.
All the Best Tony D(A)

Geoff of Hull
29th October 2010, 00:26
I remember a cadet on the tanker" Hornby Grange" from Scarborough I believe called Karen,she had sailed on the "Max" also,That would have been around 1980 also there was a female Sparky in the company who's name I can't remember.
Rumour had it that Karen ? finished up working in a Super market in Scarborough,but that is not confirmed.

rob mcc
29th October 2010, 02:55
having sailed[twice] on the hornby grange been aboard the black max[as a visitor]i am sure the poor girl would have been happy to be working anywhere else joking apart i think there was a policey to give the girls hard working ships so as not to be accused of bious on account of gender

rob mcc
29th October 2010, 02:58
PS please forgive the spelling

julianl
1st November 2010, 18:04
anyone know what happened to Sue Smith ,sailed with her on the Cumbria 1979-she was 3/M at the time.

chadders
1st November 2010, 22:28
I remember a cadet on the tanker" Hornby Grange" from Scarborough I believe called Karen,she had sailed on the "Max" also,That would have been around 1980 also there was a female Sparky in the company who's name I can't remember.
Rumour had it that Karen ? finished up working in a Super market in Scarborough,but that is not confirmed.

Hi Geoff, The Karen you are referring to is/was Karen Wallace now Karen Daniels. I sailed with her on the Black Max in 1979, I was C/O. I also taught her at Hull Nautical College in '82 which came as a bit of a shock to her system! She recently moved to Majorca but is now back living in West Yorkshire. I also sailed with Sue Smith in @76 on the Ocean Transport, I was 2/0 then, no idea what happened to Sue.
Cheers
Chadders

merrymagpie
1st November 2010, 22:32
anyone know what happened to Sue Smith ,sailed with her on the Cumbria 1979-she was 3/M at the time.

Last I heard of Sue she was married to 3/E Alasdair Bruck and lived in South Wales (1989).
Louise Holman was a colleague of mine, as an Assistant Harbourmaster on the Tees until August of this year, when she left to become a lecturer at South Shields College.

Mike Bartle

Joh Heaton
2nd November 2010, 14:37
Sailed with Nicola Cartwright on the Joya Mc Cance, she had just left the Hardwicke Grange.
Believe she was the first Houlders Female deck cadet.
She failed her eye sight test ( colour blind ). Believe she got married to Jimmy Heany a 3rd Engineer.
Also sailed with Sue Smith.
John Heaton

Samara
2nd November 2010, 19:58
I was a passenger, with my new husband, to Buenos Aires on the Duquesa in 1960. We left London on 8th March. I have just found the passenger list but there is someone missing. There were ten of us, including two children, but only nine are named as having embarked. The tenth was more than likely an Argentine woman, who asked me if she could have a page from my writing pad as she needed to write a letter. I gave her a page and resumed my own letter-writing. Later, during dinner, the Captain ran past our table shouting "She's gone" and we heard that she had jumped overboard, leaving a letter which may have been for the relatives who were waiting for her when we docked. The ship was turned and the sea around was searched but she was not found. After some time we went on our way, but I did wonder what the story was behind the poor woman's suicide. She was said to be being deported because she was destitute. Does anyone know anything about this?

I have noticed that the posts are mainly from crews, but someone just might have crewed on the Duquesa in March 1960?

vasco
3rd November 2010, 03:50
Was with Anne Roberts in Campbell Maritime years ago, not sure but there may have been another ex-Houlders, possibly Sue Smith as well.

marinero
3rd November 2010, 11:53
I was a passenger, with my new husband, to Buenos Aires on the Duquesa in 1960. We left London on 8th March. I have just found the passenger list but there is someone missing. There were ten of us, including two children, but only nine are named as having embarked. The tenth was more than likely an Argentine woman, who asked me if she could have a page from my writing pad as she needed to write a letter. I gave her a page and resumed my own letter-writing. Later, during dinner, the Captain ran past our table shouting "She's gone" and we heard that she had jumped overboard, leaving a letter which may have been for the relatives who were waiting for her when we docked. The ship was turned and the sea around was searched but she was not found. After some time we went on our way, but I did wonder what the story was behind the poor woman's suicide. She was said to be being deported because she was destitute. Does anyone know anything about this?

Hi Samara, and welcome to the site. That is indeed a sad tale for your first post. It's not one I have heard before although I was with Houlders in the 60's. I will ask around and if I find out anything I will post it on here. There is a member on here who goes by the name of "Duquesa" when he sees this he may have something to add.

Regards (Thumb)

PS I notice you mention a Passenger list, perhaps you could post a copy on the site and any names of Crew Members might also help.

Samara
3rd November 2010, 12:04
Marinero

It was the fact that the woman was not identified on the passenger list which puzzled me. She was very much alive before she disappeared. I was wondering where she would have been entered in the archives. Perhaps there is another list; after all, she was not exactly a passenger, more a prisoner, perhaps. There is an unreadable scribble, in red pen, under "summary of passengers", in a box on the right. "5.Coebil". Well, that's what it looks like, after peering at it through a magnifying glass.

duquesa
3rd November 2010, 21:33
Hi Samara. It was my time on the "Duq" but to be honest that story is new to me. Eric Lockheed would have been the Master I would say. I can't imagine him running about shouting anything. Wasn't his style but I suppose when confronted with the fact you may have "lost" a passenger, any reaction is possible.
I hope you get to the bottom of it and I look forward to reading that outcome. Fascinating. Good luck.

Geoff of Hull
17th November 2010, 20:34
Yes you are correct with the name Karen Wallace etc,I may have been with you on the Max I joined in Fawley and the voyage took us to Phili,teeside,Porsgrun,Ponce,Arzew (?),Huelva I did about 5 month that trip on her guy called McSwan a taffy was there Joe Wilson,Steve Rathbone both Tees Pilots now.Jerry Dancer,Dogsie old man,the mate one trip had his wife on. I joined the new Hornby after that.and many years later offshore with Houlder/Stena.
As Hull Marine college goes I was up there in about 84 after leaving the Oswestry Grange (collier) just after a miners strike December I think Sherwood had come across from royal Mail/Shaw Saville around that time to take over the show..
I remember on the Hornby, Karen had her half day saturday afternoon,as we were off Puerto Miranda she decided to go for a dip in the pool we where working in that area so we asked her to give us a flash of her bikini top!..which she of course she rejected,after several refusals,we decided to go one deck down to the deck locker and open the drain valve !!,as the water was going away she was crouching lower and lower until the pool had no water left, she was on the bottom clutching her bikini top ..Good days

chadders
23rd November 2010, 10:19
Yes you are correct with the name Karen Wallace etc,I may have been with you on the Max I joined in Fawley and the voyage took us to Phili,teeside,Porsgrun,Ponce,Arzew (?),Huelva I did about 5 month that trip on her guy called McSwan a taffy was there Joe Wilson,Steve Rathbone both Tees Pilots now.Jerry Dancer,Dogsie old man,the mate one trip had his wife on. I joined the new Hornby after that.and many years later offshore with Houlder/Stena.
As Hull Marine college goes I was up there in about 84 after leaving the Oswestry Grange (collier) just after a miners strike December I think Sherwood had come across from royal Mail/Shaw Saville around that time to take over the show..
I remember on the Hornby, Karen had her half day saturday afternoon,as we were off Puerto Miranda she decided to go for a dip in the pool we where working in that area so we asked her to give us a flash of her bikini top!..which she of course she rejected,after several refusals,we decided to go one deck down to the deck locker and open the drain valve !!,as the water was going away she was crouching lower and lower until the pool had no water left, she was on the bottom clutching her bikini top ..Good days

Hi Geoff,

Sorry we weren't on the Black Max together I was there in '79 joined in drydock in Curacao and then pottered around the US Gulf before paying off in Spain. I was mate Joe Wilson and Mike Fielder were both 2nd mates and Dogsie was the Old Man. As for Hull Nautical College I taught there from 1981 to 1988 but was away from Sept '84 to May '85 studying at Plymouth Poly. I taught a number of subjects as all newbie's did but mainly Orals from Cadets to Masters and Met and Chartwork oh happy days (I think!).

TangoVictor
20th February 2011, 19:01
I believe the Allison you mentioned would have been Allison Wood, I sailed with her on the Hardwicke Grange in 1975 when we were both deck cadets. That trip we sailed from Southampton down to Valparaiso. It was the Hardwicke's first passage through the Panama and we were anchored off Cristobal for a few days being measured for Panama Tonnage.

James Crosbie
15th March 2011, 02:03
Chris Head

Hi Chris,
With regards to Peter St Claire, I sailed with him on the Geestport, one of the Geest Line ships. He was purser and we sailed together many times. He brought his wife Cessile on one trip. He did live in Spain but it wasn't Alicante. Can't remember where. I'm sorry to tell you that he passed away possibly about 3 or 4 years ago.
Best Regards,
Jim Crosbie, 2nd Eng.

marinero
15th March 2011, 12:05
Hi Chris,
With regards to Peter St Claire, I sailed with him on the Geestport, one of the Geest Line ships. He was purser and we sailed together many times. He brought his wife Cessile on one trip. He did live in Spain but it wasn't Alicante. Can't remember where. I'm sorry to tell you that he passed away possibly about 3 or 4 years ago.
Best Regards,
Jim Crosbie, 2nd Eng.

Morning Jim.

That is very sad news indeed, I also have tried to find him over the years but to no avail. I did my first trip in Houlders with Peter and also sailed with him on the BA run. I also met his wife and she used to vist me when I was in the British Hospital in Buenos Aires. He was a very good and reliable shipmate

Regards Leo

Jon Vincent
16th March 2011, 01:13
Hi Jim. How sad, I sailed with him on the "Royston Grange" 1968, he was very kind to then first trip 3/0 and particularly my girl friend and later wife, so many of the friends that I made on those voyages have now passed away, either naturally or on the tragedy that over took the ship later, the anniversary is fast coming up, so sad.

ALAN TYLER
16th May 2011, 14:27
Just been looking at some old photos on this lovely sunny day!! One on the Stolt Tudor Xmas 1972, Phil Costello (4th engineer) from Preston on it ,anyone know of his whereabouts? Also on the photos Eddie Calmeyer, Ray Brodigan and CC Knott. Peter Green was the pumpman, Eric Wiseman Ch/Stwd, Jeremy Quinton Lees Master, many happy memories of the ship with the "Superman" sign on the "smokestack"

tondav3137
11th July 2011, 22:30
Hi All,
Sailked on the Rip left Bidston B, Head, Jan 58 bound for N Z chartered to Shaw Savill, I joined has Chippys mate.the trip was a 9 monther. NZ to the States & Canada then back out to NZ, the chippy was a South African never saw him for the first half of the trip stoned most of time payed him of on fist timeto NY I took over for the rest of the trip, we got back to UK in Sept 58 then I did a second 5 month trip to NZ and left her in Feb 59, she was old and rough but a great ship and crew hard work with 7 hatches to batten down, great days.
Tony D

Bob Cook
20th July 2011, 15:15
Reading through this thread jogged memories of ships my uncle, Ernie Moore used to mention to me. It was is description of ships and far off lands that influenced my decision to join the MN.
Sadly he never really took to life ashore and died several years ago a sad, bitter man.
He fell out with most of his family and friends and used to say if I drop dead in the street I don't want any of you at my funeral. Sadly one Satrurday morning he walked down into town and on the way home less than 150 yards from his front door he just collapsed in the street. My mate was just behind him, but the ambulance man said he was probably dead before he it the ground.
Very sad end to a man I idolised as a child. All my mateds used to think he was so cool as he wor jeans and white t shirts whilst our fathers wore suits to go for a pint or even a day at the seaside.
He was a deck hand and served with Houlders for many years, anyone remember him?

chadders
25th July 2011, 10:21
Reading through this thread jogged memories of ships my uncle, Ernie Moore used to mention to me. It was is description of ships and far off lands that influenced my decision to join the MN.
Sadly he never really took to life ashore and died several years ago a sad, bitter man.
He fell out with most of his family and friends and used to say if I drop dead in the street I don't want any of you at my funeral. Sadly one Satrurday morning he walked down into town and on the way home less than 150 yards from his front door he just collapsed in the street. My mate was just behind him, but the ambulance man said he was probably dead before he it the ground.
Very sad end to a man I idolised as a child. All my mateds used to think he was so cool as he wor jeans and white t shirts whilst our fathers wore suits to go for a pint or even a day at the seaside.
He was a deck hand and served with Houlders for many years, anyone remember him?

Hi Bob,

I think I remember Ernie Moore, I'm sure he was AB on my first trip on the St. Margaret a long time ago. We he out of Middlesbrough? The Ernie Moore I remember was a decent bloke who was quite kind to a first tripper from Leeds. It was all over 40 years ago though so it may not be the same Ernie Moore.
Regards

Chadders

Bob Cook
25th July 2011, 22:35
Hi Bob,

I think I remember Ernie Moore, I'm sure he was AB on my first trip on the St. Margaret a long time ago. We he out of Middlesbrough? The Ernie Moore I remember was a decent bloke who was quite kind to a first tripper from Leeds. It was all over 40 years ago though so it may not be the same Ernie Moore.
Regards

Chadders

That would be him, sailed out of Hull, then Middlesborough, before joining Houlders. As I say, he was a top bloke, but changed completley once he came ashore. Just wish I could pass on your message to him.

MARINEJOCKY
23rd August 2011, 02:46
Cleaning out my office today and came across my knife presented to me for 5 years service. That was only 35 years ago. I am sure others have many more awards and it has been dicussed on here but remind what the other awrds were, please.

vasco
23rd August 2011, 03:58
Cleaning out my office today and came across my knife presented to me for 5 years service. That was only 35 years ago. I am sure others have many more awards and it has been dicussed on here but remind what the other awrds were, please.

Got a sextant, which wouldn't be much use to you!, got the watch for 10 yrs then it was decanter and silver platta or posh pen. Also £200 for Mates and £400 for Masters, all of which may be absolute rubbish because it was so long ago.

Oh yes and just got my Furness Pension of £4 a month.

John

merrymagpie
23rd August 2011, 09:38
Got a sextant, which wouldn't be much use to you!, got the watch for 10 yrs then it was decanter and silver platta or posh pen. Also £200 for Mates and £400 for Masters, all of which may be absolute rubbish because it was so long ago.

Oh yes and just got my Furness Pension of £4 a month.

John

Don't you be spending it all at once!

Mike

loco
24th August 2011, 00:31
Although I did over ten years with Furness Withy, they wouldn't give me my watch because I had tendered my resignation before I got it!

Martyn

chadders
24th August 2011, 11:44
Although I did over ten years with Furness Withy, they wouldn't give me my watch because I had tendered my resignation before I got it!

Martyn

I got the sextant for 2nd Mates, a pen knife for 5 years (but some light fingered person lifted it when I was on the Black Max!!). The wife bought a washing machine with the £400 for Mates and I got the watch for 10 years. Still have the sextant and the watch!

norsea
24th August 2011, 23:03
Still have my Houlders "25 Club" tie presented in 1979 although irreplaceable it`s now showing signs of wear. Back then no penknife or watch etc. Although fast approaching 74 (this month) I still retainhappy memories of my time with Houlders ranging from Cerinthus maiden voyage in `54 to final years of service in Coupler 1/ Oregis in the `80s
Best Regards
Angus Davidson

saltyswamp
29th August 2011, 21:55
Hi
Never did get a penknife, I think they were a Houlders thing by the time I reached 5yrs we were Furness. But I did manage to receive a watch from FW for 10 yrs in group and have still got it.
Regards
stuart

Welsh Dragon
29th August 2011, 22:26
Still have the 10 year watch. In fact thought i lost it years ago when i moved house, found it a few months ago put a battery in it and it works fine. Also keeps good time unlike some of the Jnr Engineers on the Joule. Think i averaged 5 hour watches on her.
Strange how time moves on............watch looks the same as it did 30 years ago. Wish i did.

Welsh Dragon.

MARINEJOCKY
29th August 2011, 22:47
5 hour watches on the Joule, you had it easy if that is what you did. You will be telling me next that you did a 4 month trip on her. (*))

saltyswamp
29th August 2011, 23:47
5 hour watches on the Joule, you had it easy if that is what you did. You will be telling me next that you did a 4 month trip on her. (*))

Hi Mal
managed 1 four month trip, and even managed a 3 weeker(2 weeks drydock 1 week sailing via Libya to finish) but most were 5-6 months

stuart

MARINEJOCKY
30th August 2011, 01:51
One 6 month trip on the Joule in the 70's and it near killed me, chinese watches every day and at least one good scavenge fire every couple of days. Passed out going on the 12 to 4 at night,thought I was having a heart attack, turned out it was indegestion due to extra cool beer and big sandwich just before going below. Had ECG in Koashing and the girls from the Kings bar came around to find out why I was not in the bar with the rest of the guys.

...oh the Joule

Cheers ME

ALAN TYLER
30th August 2011, 13:01
I must be lucky...penknife, tie-pin (with minute diamond), 10 year deep-sea Rotary watch, Rolex 10 year offshore, 2 year tankard offshore and tie plus many happy memories. Oh and a nice pension long may it last.

saltyswamp
30th August 2011, 13:31
One 6 month trip on the Joule in the 70's and it near killed me, chinese watches every day and at least one good scavenge fire every couple of days. Passed out going on the 12 to 4 at night,thought I was having a heart attack, turned out it was indegestion due to extra cool beer and big sandwich just before going below. Had ECG in Koashing and the girls from the Kings bar came around to find out why I was not in the bar with the rest of the guys.

...oh the Joule

Cheers ME

Only one thought you were of hardy northern stock
regards
stuart[=P]

marinero
30th August 2011, 17:59
I must be lucky...penknife, tie-pin (with minute diamond), 10 year deep-sea Rotary watch, Rolex 10 year offshore, 2 year tankard offshore and tie plus many happy memories. Oh and a nice pension long may it last.

Hi Alan
Wait until you get to 65 and if you are in the Kenwake pension as I am It doubled. Not bad eh!

Regards (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
31st August 2011, 01:45
I thought I was as well but the Joule got the better of me I must admit, ME

Welsh Dragon
31st August 2011, 15:32

Your right Marinejockey. I did do 4 month trip TWO of them stepped off the Gangway in Bombay and started the next 4 months when i stepped on board 10 Minutes later. 10 minute shore leave in 256 days. Didn't spend much and kept my virginity in tact.
Always considered myself a General cargo chap. Then after the Joule they put me on the Cavendish & Faraday (Cloud). Give me the Westbury and Banbury any day.

Nick Batstone
1st September 2011, 00:21
Once a G man, always a G man, and the Joule was only second best to the Humboldt but nevertheless a great ship.

MARINEJOCKY
1st September 2011, 01:25
Your right Marinejockey. I did do 4 month trip TWO of them stepped off the Gangway in Bombay and started the next 4 months when i stepped on board 10 Minutes later. 10 minute shore leave in 256 days. Didn't spend much and kept my virginity in tact.
Always considered myself a General cargo chap. Then after the Joule they put me on the Cavendish & Faraday (Cloud). Give me the Westbury and Banbury any day.

I could just about beat you with that one, I was going to sign off as a 5th but then they realized that they had organized to send the 4th home for a wedding or a birth but had not sent a replacement so they promoted me and told me I was staying for a "couple of weeks". 2 months later and 6 month in total I paid off in Singapore with Tom Brown.

Could not get onto the Singapore Airlines flight for the free booze and got a Quatos flight. They had come from Aussie with some problem to the movie gear and had it fixed just before we got on board. The pilot annouced that due to the problem there would be free booze for the remainder of the flight. There was only about 12 of us onboard a Jumbe so we had the time of our lifes.

Did 6 weeks on the Banbury and was never so bored until the female deck cadets joined. (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
1st September 2011, 01:29
Once a G man, always a G man, and the Joule was only second best to the Humboldt but nevertheless a great ship.

Nick, Yes I was a G man but more importantly I was part of Harry's team and although I had better memories on the Humbolt (my 1st trip as 2/E) compared to the Joule my ship was the Cavendish and closely followed by the Black Max . :sweat:

Nick Batstone
1st September 2011, 23:03
Nick, Yes I was a G man but more importantly I was part of Harry's team and although I had better memories on the Humbolt (my 1st trip as 2/E) compared to the Joule my ship was the Cavendish and closely followed by the Black Max . :sweat:

They were all slated by the outsiders and although they were a bit manky and the runs were not as glamourous as the "Westbury" boys enjoyed, they were happy trips with good men.

ALAN TYLER
2nd September 2011, 13:24
Hi Alan
Wait until you get to 65 and if you are in the Kenwake pension as I am It doubled. Not bad eh!

Regards (Thumb)
Leo, Just passed that landmark in May, don,t know about doubling but certainly the pension from Kenwake has increased nicely over the years. Hows the move going? Regards Alan.

marinero
3rd September 2011, 13:53
Leo, Just passed that landmark in May, don,t know about doubling but certainly the pension from Kenwake has increased nicely over the years. Hows the move going? Regards Alan.
Hi Alan.
Just waiting to be told to come and sign at the Notary, get the cheque and then book our ferry from Spain to the UK. Yes the Kenwake Pension has done rather well, in fact mine is now more than my Old Age Pension.
I also get a Pension from the Danish Govt. for the time (5 years) I spent over there on the Shelf Driller which is a nice little earner.
Mind you though Alan for that 5 years over there I get a third of the UK pension for which I had to put in 44 years. I only wish I had spent more time over there.

Regards

Leo (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
4th September 2011, 19:56
Careful Leo, you will be getting accused of bragging how wealthy you are. The same way they like to attack me.

marinero
5th September 2011, 09:49
Careful Leo, you will be getting accused of bragging how wealthy you are. The same way they like to attack me.
Hi Mal.
Since when have you bothered about being "accused" (Jester) Anyway you are most probably the richest person on here (Jester)
Only small minded people display the tendencies of envy but then again Malcolm, we can rise above that, can't we?

Regards (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
6th September 2011, 02:11
I think we are all the richest in our own little world, whether it is my pre-boiled eggs (shelled as well) or you being able to return "home" and to be close to those bairns or SM living in a city with the best indian food in the world, or John P living in a city with the best football team.

Then add in all of our families and friends, shipmates and those we meet on here and we are all rich in one form of another.

...as for being accused and worrying about it, that carpet muncher did not know how much she really p1ssed me off calling me mate, petal and worse still "pet".

I can hear it now, first day back after 6 months on a gas boat and I run into an old great aunt in the village "eeh, is that you Pet, when you going back Pet, how you doing Pet, got to run Pet your uncle Dinky is waiting for his Woodbines Pet."

The best Leo, ME

glyn moorhouse
13th September 2011, 05:42
Hi Glyn,

I was on most of the gas boats and sailed as 2/E on the Black Max but not until 1979. Many fond memories. Which other Houlders ships were you on.

i was on the joule for about 8-9 months we spent over a month in dry dock in rotterdam. i then left the company to work for a newcastle company r.s.dalgleish & co. (raggy daggys ) as they were affectionatly known. i was only in the merchant marine for 3-4 years but when you are 21 some things you dont forget. my only regret is i didnt stay longer as i have some wonderful memories. happy days.

Paddy Power
2nd October 2011, 18:09
Hello Susan
I sailed with a Tony Moor several times he was Ch. Off. The ships were I think were the Denby Grange and one of the small ore carriers. I think he lived in Mevagissey and I stayed with him for a weekend when the ship was in dry dock.
When I last saw hime he was Master on the Cerinthus this would have been 1973.

Paddy Power
3rd October 2011, 15:25
Hi Sandra and Cutsplce,

JC

Was the E. Hutchinson you mention Master on the "Corato" in 1974 when it was on charter to OPDR on the Spanish, Portugal and North African run. I was 2nd. Mate at the time but was promoted Mate before leaving on 13.09.74. As I remember he was a excellent generous and very helpful Master.
Mike

trevor page
3rd October 2011, 20:46
HI, does anyone remember Wally Sayer who sailed with Houlders during the 1970s as an Engineer, he was formally a Chippy.

evan.jones
9th October 2011, 20:12
i would love to know what became of derek harwood from clitheroe he was with me on the clerk maxwell he went afterto the joel macance

martwillhenry
21st October 2011, 12:47
Hi I saild on Ocean Transport from 1967 to 1970 as engineer (finished as 4th) then worked on Kingsnorth UK (from being buil in Finland to work in North Sea), also worked in Finland on Dundee Kings North as electrical engineer. Known on both ship and rig as "Taffy".
Rgds.
Martin Jones

ALAN TYLER
21st October 2011, 13:05
Hi I saild on Ocean Transport from 1967 to 1970 as engineer (finished as 4th) then worked on Kingsnorth UK (from being buil in Finland to work in North Sea), also worked in Finland on Dundee Kings North as electrical engineer. Known on both ship and rig as "Taffy".
Rgds.
Martin Jones
Hi Martin, Welcome to the site I was on the KUK 1981 off Southern Ireland and later in the North Sea to April 82. It was strange being allowed alcohol offshore (Ireland only), think it was two cans a day also the flights home in tiny planes sometimes with a female pilot!! Happy days. Alan.

BOB.WHITTAKER
31st October 2011, 22:29
Reply to Martwillhenry of Wrexham ex Ocean Transport and Kingsnorth, were you part of the "Firestone" team from Wrexham who had a presence on the Kingsnorth units and Houlder Offshore .Names that come to mind are Cliff Samuels, Joe Davis,John Bartley, Dai Davies. You must remember Jimmy Jones , Les (spike) Wright,Stewart Fairburn,Derek Brand, plenty more names from the mid 70's upto the mid 90's. I was 2Eng on Ocean Transport 72--74,(Vic Pegg was Chief) then brief spellon rigs followed by Uncle John and then Jack Ups untill 1997. Cheers Bob Whittaker

rob mcc
6th November 2011, 11:03
anybody know what happened to Mr Bacholer from sea personel

marinero
7th November 2011, 21:57
anybody know what happened to Mr Bacholer from sea personel

Hi Rob.

The last I heard of "Batch" was that he had taken a job as some sort of guide at Buckingham Palace and that was years ago.

Regards (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
25th November 2011, 14:10
Hi Leo,

are you all settled into the cold and wet north east weather, my wife and kids are over in Wark this week and she took them to the Carter Bar 2 days ago and a she was taking photos my 7 yr old told her to hurry up as it was F---ing freezing. He did not learn that from me. !

marinero
25th November 2011, 17:29
Hi Mal.

Yes, we are just about settled in now and have nearly emptied the garage of all the boxes we had sent over. I don't know where it all comes from but we accumulate so much rubbish over the years. The weather has been pretty mild since we have been back here although I expect we will get snow sooner or later. Getting plenty of babysitting in with the grandchildren but I draw the line at changing nappies.
If you are ever thinking of coming over at all, give me a shout and we can meet up.

Regards

Leo (Thumb)

TIM STENNER
20th December 2011, 11:27
Hi All. Just found this site a few days ago.
I am Tim Stenner & was with Houlder Shipping from Sept 1970 when I started as an Engineer Cadet to March 1984 when I left the Clerk Maxwell as 2nd/Eng and transferred to Houlder Marine Drilling and the KUK.
Orotava June 72 to Jan 73 (Cadet)
Clyde Bridge Feb 74 to Sept 74 (Cadet & Jnr/Eng)
Cumbria Nov 74 to March 75 (5th/Eng
Humbolt Sept 75 to Dec 75 (Dia Davies & the road signs) (5th Eng)
Faraday Jan 76 to Jun 76 (5th/Eng)
Banbury Aug 76 to Jun 77 ( 3 x Trips on PSNC Run) (4th Eng)
Lord Kelvin Dec 77 Stood by in Italy & sailed May 78. Then various trips until
May 81 (4th/Eng - 3rd/Eng - 2nd/Eng)
Faraday Aug 81 to Jan 82 (2nd/Eng)
Humbolt Apr 82 to Sept 82 (2nd/Eng)
Lord Kelvin Nov 82 to Apr 83 (2nd/Eng)
Clerk Max Nov 83 to March 84 (2nd /Eng)
Then the rigs ...KUK - Dundee Kingsnorth - High Seas Driller - South Seas Driller - Ross Isle - Shelf Explorer - John Shaw - Nordic - Paul B Loyd.

Happy Christmas to one & All.

Cheers
Tim Stenner

BOB.WHITTAKER
20th December 2011, 23:37
Tim Stenner / Hi Tim plenty of ex ship/rig people using this site that you will know , me for one . Cheers Bob Whittaker

TIM STENNER
22nd December 2011, 19:11
Hi Bob.
Looks like an interesting site to be hanging around. Lots of names I remember. Left the rigs in June 2011....now on the MNOPF Pension. Best Wishes Tim (Pint)

saltyswamp
26th December 2011, 00:21
Hi All. Just found this site a few days ago.
I am Tim Stenner & was with Houlder Shipping from Sept 1970 when I started as an Engineer Cadet to March 1984 when I left the Clerk Maxwell as 2nd/Eng and transferred to Houlder Marine Drilling and the KUK.
Orotava June 72 to Jan 73 (Cadet)
Clyde Bridge Feb 74 to Sept 74 (Cadet & Jnr/Eng)
Cumbria Nov 74 to March 75 (5th/Eng
Humbolt Sept 75 to Dec 75 (Dia Davies & the road signs) (5th Eng)
Faraday Jan 76 to Jun 76 (5th/Eng)
Banbury Aug 76 to Jun 77 ( 3 x Trips on PSNC Run) (4th Eng)
Lord Kelvin Dec 77 Stood by in Italy & sailed May 78. Then various trips until
May 81 (4th/Eng - 3rd/Eng - 2nd/Eng)
Faraday Aug 81 to Jan 82 (2nd/Eng)
Humbolt Apr 82 to Sept 82 (2nd/Eng)
Lord Kelvin Nov 82 to Apr 83 (2nd/Eng)
Clerk Max Nov 83 to March 84 (2nd /Eng)
Then the rigs ...KUK - Dundee Kingsnorth - High Seas Driller - South Seas Driller - Ross Isle - Shelf Explorer - John Shaw - Nordic - Paul B Loyd.

Happy Christmas to one & All.

Cheers
Tim Stenner

Hi Tim
I remember you from plymouth nautical college from the heady days of 71, there was me and David? (bones) Massey, in the year below. then we met on the Humbolt I was the gash hand (cadet/Jnr Eng) living in the hospital.
I was also on the shore trip when Dia aquired The road signs.
regards
Stuart(Kettle) Hood

John.Wilkinson
26th December 2011, 15:37
Merry Christmas All

Came across the site by chance a few days ago.

I was with Houlders from 1973 - 1978

Hardwicke Grange (2 trips 1973 - 1974)
Cumbria (2 trips 1974 - 1975)
Banbury (4 trips 1975 -1978)

All the Best

Welsh Dragon
31st December 2011, 15:07
Hi Tim, Did you join the Cumbria in Cape Town. Then we sailed around to Egypt.
Ian (Taff)

John.Wilkinson
31st December 2011, 20:34
Hi Tim, Did you join the Cumbria in Cape Town. Then we sailed around to Egypt.
Ian (Taff)

Ian

I joined Cumbria at P. Kembla July 74, I got off in Alexandria just before Xmas.

Regards

John W