Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

D MCPHAIL
27th January 2012, 16:46
i was on the Stoltgrange ex Denbygrange in 71 as AB,runnng to Rio etc from Battonroguge,50% of crew was from the Hull pool ,rest Southamerican.a lot of trouble on,2ndcook and galley boy were shot in a bar in Recife by the Chilian capts tiger,they paid of the uk crew early on arr in texas city

ALAN TYLER
28th January 2012, 12:00
Interesting tale, I was on the Stolt Tudor in the early 70s. See you are now with the Arklow shipping Co, do you ever sail into Glasson Dock near Lancaster? I live in that part of the country and occasionly see Arklow ships in the dock. Alan

George Simpson
29th January 2012, 10:38
Hi Tim I hope your enjoying your retirement. Enjoy the site.

George

derek harwood
30th January 2012, 20:44
i would love to know what became of derek harwood from clitheroe he was with me on the clerk maxwell he went afterto the joel macance

Hi there,
I have recieved your enquiry to my whereabouts and wish to inform you I am alive and kicking and very well, would be interesting to get in touch and talk about old times..hope all is well with you...kind regards Derek Harwood.

FERRYAIR
4th February 2012, 11:40
Just a quick message to inform all Forum users & Ex Houlder employees that John Maurice Houlder C.B.E. passed away on 02/02/2012 just 18 days short of his 95th birthday.

Britain's oldest registered pilot was to celebrate his 95th birthday on 20/02/2012, but grandee of Elstree Aerodrome John Houlder said he's still yet to reach retirement age.

After 55 years as manager of the airfield, he still works four days a week, travelling by tube from his home in Warwick Square, London, his work ranging from maintaining autopilot machines to drafting policy on noise reduction.

But his real love was taking to the skies in his trusty Aero Commander twin engine plane, Oscar Echo despite the disapproval of his wife, Rody.

He had his first flying lesson in 1938. "To get a licence in those days, you only had to fly for three hours," he said. "I had my first lesson in February and by June I was able to fly myself to the furthest end of Hungary, always following railway lines."

To this day, he remained a highly qualified pilot, with a valid instrument rating meaning he could fly in airspace used by commercial planes.

He proudly said he thinks he was the oldest pilot in the country to hold this rating, which is validated by the Civil Aviation Authority.

"I have to take a flying test every year with an examiner sitting beside me with a screen so I can only see the instrument panel, not out of the window," he said.

He grew up in Esher, Surrey, the third generation of the Houlder shipping dynasty. The local aerodrome, Brooklands, where he learned to fly, is throwing him a birthday party on Monday "When I was 16, my father sent me to work in a shipyard, then, after some time, he wanted me to work in the City. I was very bored, I saw an advertisement to learn how to fly."

He became an artillery gunner during the Second World War, and while serving in Crete he was hit in the arm by an Italian shell, fired by a bomber he had nicknamed Bardier Bill.

"It was very annoying because it was on my quay," he said. "My left arm still doesn't work."

He later became a Major in charge of the port of Tobruk in north Africa, overseeing thousands of port workers.

He continued his high-flying hobby at Elstree Aerodrome, formerly known as Aldenham Aerodrome, and was appointed to run it by owner Lord Aldenham in 1950, after most of the staff were jailed for their alleged part in stealing aeroplane parts from Stansted Airport. Although, according to Mr Houlder, the staff were acting in good faith that the parts belonged to their company.

"My business was shipping, but I soon discovered that managing an aerodrome was not very difficult and, by pure chance, I met Lord Aldenham in Ireland and came to an agreement with him which has served three generations of Lord Aldenhams.

"In 2006 he negotiated an extension of the agreement, which came into force in July 2006. It's an agreement which has served for 55 years with good will on both sides."

And, despite the dramatic start, the decades have passed with relative calm.

"I'm afraid at Elstree Aerodrome it's all just steady hard work." He refers to his latest problem of dealing with trees under protection orders.

He said the secret to keeping young is keeping busy something he takes somewhat to an extreme. "The trouble with being retired is there's no reason to get up in the morning," he said. "And it's a social life being at work. That's what keeps one young, I think."

Mr Houlder is visiting professor of naval architecture at Strathclyde University and the ship Orelia, currently sailing in the North Sea, which he designed, is proudly pictured in his office.

He has three sons who live in Moscow, Argentina and London and one daughter, who works at the Financial Times.

And what about the future of the airfield?

"One of my personal ambitions was to make it friendly to the neighbours," said Mr Houlder.

"My target is to make sure that no house is overflown for more than one hour in 24."

And this will be no mean feat with between 50,000 and 70,000 take-offs per annum.

ALAN TYLER
6th February 2012, 16:26
Thank you for the information on John M. Houlder, found it very interesting. Alan.

brixsmaid
7th February 2012, 14:56
Hi All. Just re-found this site after being advised of the sad passing of John Houlder so thought I'd better participate before any more grey cells disappear!

Served with Houlder Bros from 1970 - 1974 as follows:

Joya McCance/Tanker - 2nd Mate 7.2.75-25.6.75
Brandon Priory - 3rd Mate 15.7.74-23.11.74
Sagamore - Cadet 25.4.74-13.6.74
Brandon Priory - Cadet 29.12.72-31.7.73
Tenbury - Cadet 4.8.72-10.11.72
Oswestry Grange - Cadet 28.6.71-23.11.71
Mabel Warwick - Cadet 12.9.70-25.3.71

Then disappeared of to Esso for 5 years, then HM Coastguard for 18 years, then back to sea with Gulf Offshore ending up as a Mate/DPO before coming ashore to work in maritime digital publishing.

The site certainly stirs some memories, I just wish I could:

Remember Names
Put faces to those names I think I remember
Distinguish between the names of people I actually sailed with rather than just know the name!!

A few names that I do definitely know/remember are:
Mike Boland, Mick Clegg, Ray Clegg, Nobby Clark, Pete "Cheyenne" Saunders, Paddy Slevin, Bill Bennett, Alan Barnes, Pete Neischmidt (sorry about the spelling), Bob Stringer

There must be so many others!

Keith

handybilly7
8th February 2012, 20:13
Dan I sailed with you on that trip as 3/M- recall we would BS during the 8-12 under a tropical moon? Stolt's South America service--40 grades south--clean tanks and molasses north. Capt.B.Ditchburn? Mate Jerry Lees and 2/M Peter Creber,Deck Eng.Jimmy Grey,Bosun Bill Watt.Pumpman Hank the Dutchman and a UK guy Arthur? (who sadly passed after pumproom steam injuries a few years later).
Recall the Recife scenario and crew mix--odd set up-- as recall you would say "things I do for England"
Always thought you had returned to NZ.

rob mcc
10th February 2012, 02:02
Dan I sailed with you on that trip as 3/M- recall we would BS during the 8-12 under a tropical moon? Stolt's South America service--40 grades south--clean tanks and molasses north. Capt.B.Ditchburn? Mate Jerry Lees and 2/M Peter Creber,Deck Eng.Jimmy Grey,Bosun Bill Watt.Pumpman Hank the Dutchman and a UK guy Arthur? (who sadly passed after pumproom steam injuries a few years later).
Recall the Recife scenario and crew mix--odd set up-- as recall you would say "things I do for England"
Always thought you had returned to NZ.

the pumpman was jim pugh who died on one of the stolt tankers

woo_baby
11th February 2012, 20:40
Hey guys!

I'm looking for a bit of info on my dad Derek John Briggs if possible,

I was a little lad when he was in the Merchant Navy, obviously I only saw him a few months of the year so I don't know too much about him. I wold like to know more, that, I guess... Is why I'm here! So any stories good bad or ugly would be appreciated!

I'm pretty sure he was Chief Engineer working for Holder Brothers & the Hadley Shipping company - he was born in the 30's, charismatic chap - Last I heard from him he remarried & moved to South America (somewhere near Equador)

I haven't spoken or heard anything from him in 16 years, (I'm not specifically trying to trace him) all I guess I'm after is a bit of understanding of what he was like...

Anything's appreciated Guys!

Thank you

Regards,

Marc

rob mcc
14th February 2012, 23:42
sailed with your dad from 1972 [brandon priory] on various ships untill the lord kelvin 1985 afterwitch i was made redundent he was a very good C/E [and 2/E]whom i had a lot of respect for

Caffj
16th February 2012, 16:34
Re Houlder Bros.
Does anyone remember my late brother-in-law Capt Norman Oddy,(now deceased) or my brother Patrick Cafferty who sailed as Chief Engineer
on quite a few Houlder Bros ships. Norman was master on several of.
their Ore Carriers. He'd been with Houlders since he was an Apprentice.CaffJ

Nick Batstone
16th February 2012, 19:22
Re Houlder Bros.
Does anyone remember my late brother-in-law Capt Norman Oddy,(now deceased) or my brother Patrick Cafferty who sailed as Chief Engineer

Yep, sailed with Captain Oddy on the Lynton Grange in '79. A lovely man respected by all on board. Good skipper. He loved the horse racing nights in the crew bar. Sorry to hear he has crossed the bar.

evan.jones
16th February 2012, 19:42
Hi there,
I have recieved your enquiry to my whereabouts and wish to inform you I am alive and kicking and very well, would be interesting to get in touch and talk about old times..hope all is well with you...kind regards Derek Harwood.

great to hear from you derek ive been a service engineer for hotpoint for the last 40years due to retire in 3 months when ill be 66 send me a private message.

merrymagpie
16th February 2012, 23:02
Re Houlder Bros.

Briefly sailed with Capt Oddy on the Dunster Grange from Rotterdam to Baie-Comeau. Remember tripping over him at night, when he was asleep on a matress at the side of the chart table during a long period of dense fog on the Grand Banks.
Sailed with Pat Caff on the Stolt Spur (with his wife - Josie?). Taught me how to hold the lifeboat engine starting handle so as to avoid a broken wrist if it kicked back. Pat paid off in Liverpool with a broken wrist and guess how he had done it ?(much to Josies' amusement).
He couldn't bring himself to tell me!

Mike

Nova Scotian
17th February 2012, 03:29
Re Houlder Bros.

I was a first-trip apprentice with Captain Oddy on the Orepton in the latter part of 1964. A good master.

Cheers.

evan.jones
18th February 2012, 17:52
Hi there,

evan.jones@homecall.co.uknice to hear from you send me an email and ill give you my tel no it doesnt seem to work otherwise

steam train
18th February 2012, 19:22
Re Houlder Bros.

Yes I remember Capt Oddy,sailed with him on MV Dunster Grange 1981 and again on MV Abbey,flew out with him to Japan to join the Abbey and paid of with him in Japan after 5 month trip in 1984,I was the 2nd Enginner on the these voyages.I can still picture him smoking his pipe.

norsea
18th February 2012, 22:57
My Sincere Condolonces toMr.J.M.Houlder's family.
Recalling a voyage to New Zealand in Condesa back in 1959 at the end of my Apprenticeship we were accompanied by a young man, Jamie Wiles, who was John Houlder's nephew and was going out to stay with his grandmother,Mrs. Houlder, John Houlder's mother, who lived in Picton at the head of Queen Charlotte Sound on the South Island.
As a "Thank You" for "looking after" Jamie on the outward passage the four Apprentices spent a very enjoyable holiday with Mrs. Houlder, sailing from Wellington to Picton and back on the inter-island ferry, much to the annoyance of First Mate Norman Oddy who lost out on a few days labour.
If memory serves me correctly the Master was Capt.Roy Faulkner and C/O was Vic Owen. Unfortunately after such a long time other names escape me.
Kind Regards
Angus Davidson

Erimus
20th February 2012, 15:04
Yes I remember Capt. Norman Oddy well.......
From 1960 till 1964 I was a port agent for BISC(Ore)Ltd; in Middlesbrough and had the whole set of 'O' vessels plus Mabel Warwick & Joya McCance through the port on a regular basis..

Thereafter I moved to HQ in St.Helen's Place ( front of the Baltic) and was Asst.Distribution Manager till Nationalisation and relocation in 1970/71. I then became Ship Scheduling Controller to the,then, 72 tied Ore Carriers of British Steel...so if any of you got duff voyages to Murmansk during the winter instead of Monrovia or Nouadhibou...sorry it was my fault!"

In addition to the O Class & the two Grays of Hartlepool ore carriers the same 'family' i.e Furness Withy had Edenmore & Sagamore, as mentioned elsewhere.

As an operator I think that of the British owners of that time, mid 60's mid 70's Houlders were one of the best to deal with....almost hassle free.

cheers

geoff

marinero
20th February 2012, 16:28
Yes I remember Capt. Norman Oddy well.......
From 1960 till 1964 I was a port agent for BISC(Ore)Ltd; in Middlesbrough and had the whole set of 'O' vessels plus Mabel Warwick & Joya McCance through the port on a regular basis..

Thereafter I moved to HQ in St.Helen's Place ( front of the Baltic) and was Asst.Distribution Manager till Nationalisation and relocation in 1970/71. I then became Ship Scheduling Controller to the,then, 72 tied Ore Carriers of British Steel...so if any of you got duff voyages to Murmansk during the winter instead of Monrovia or Nouadhibou...sorry it was my fault!"

In addition to the O Class & the two Grays of Hartlepool ore carriers the same 'family' i.e Furness Withy had Edenmore & Sagamore, as mentioned elsewhere.

As an operator I think that of the British owners of that time, mid 60's mid 70's Houlders were one of the best to deal with....almost hassle free.

cheers

geoff

Hi Geoff.

I was lucky on the "Oremina" as I got a trip down to Vitoria in Brazil, which certainly made our day, rather than the Murmansk run most of the time. Now I know who to blame for all the rubbish runs (Jester)

Regards (Thumb)

Erimus
20th February 2012, 16:44
Hi Geoff.

I was lucky on the "Oremina" as I got a trip down to Vitoria in Brazil, which certainly made our day, rather than the Murmansk run most of the time. Now I know who to blame for all the rubbish runs (Jester)

Regards (Thumb)

You were lucky to get a Vitoria run in what I seem to remember was 9200 tons summer deadweight as those Port Talbot sized ships cost as much to run marine dieselwise as the next series of 14000-18000 tonners......although we did once send the gtv Morar down there as we knew she was so slow she would be away for two months instead of the usual six weeks!

geoff

jmd999
21st February 2012, 00:12
Re Houlder Bros.

Both Capt Oddy and Patrick Joseph Cafferty are legends from my childhood. My dad Freddy Ditty (now passed) sailed with both and I am still in contact with Chris Olsen who used to relieve your brother. I sailed with both your family members as a child on the Clydebridge , and Patrick's wife Josephine too. Somewhere in a drawer are photos.
Best wishes Jen

Caffj
21st February 2012, 22:37
Hi Mike (Merrymagpie )
Spoke to Patrick today he remembers you and the incident with the
lifeboat engine starting handle.
I've given him details of this web site so maybe he'll be in touch.
CaffJ

Caffj
21st February 2012, 22:40
Hello Jen,
Spoke to Patrick today. He remembers you. Sadly Josephine passed away quite
some years ago. Have given Patrick details of this web site so perhaps I'll be
in touch.
CaffJ. (Patrick's younger brother)

BOB.WHITTAKER
22nd February 2012, 21:48
CAFFJ, I met Pat briefly in 1971, he joined the Orotava as Ch.eng with George Bruce as 2cnd. in Taranto . It was almost a complete crew change and I was on my way home ,so it was only a brief hand over for everyone , at that time I would have been 3eng. Cheers Bob Whittaker

R658336
26th February 2012, 08:28
Anyone around from Houlders, would be great to hear how you are doing.

Hello Ian, I was on two Houlders ships on deck as AB first the " Hornby Grange "59/60 and when the " Royston Grange " came out ,I saw her in BA and thought I,d like to sail on her, well I did about 1962. I have lost my discharge book so cannot give exact dates. John White

HOOPERMAN
27th February 2012, 18:27
Iserved on the ba star mi to late 73 on deck,are there any photos around of crew at that time

Mal Belfast
6th March 2012, 19:32
Hello folks. I see the name "Clutha River" and wondered if anyone can help. I've been trying to find out about the death of a friend's uncle while he was with the British Merchant Navy. The seaman in question was called Robert Clarke from Belfast. Sadly Bobby, a Belfast man, died at Curacao aged 24 when on a voyage. His rating was of "Fireman/Cleaner". I believe that the date of Robert's death was 26.01.55. His date of birth was 17.07.30. Folk at the British Merchant Navy website have been incredibly helpful and one has suggested that Bobby might have been on the Clutha River - it sailed for Curacao in December 1954 - just a month before Bobby died. So, if any of you can suggest where I could find any additional information or know anyone who might know, Bobby's surviving family would be very grateful. Many thanks. Mal Belfast.

para handy clyde
6th March 2012, 22:13
Hello Ian,blast from the past on finding this site.My first trip was on the Mv oremina,then was on the clydesdale on her maiden voyage which was a nightmare for a catering boy.Mishap in the missisippi and rotterdam for repairs to her bow.Then the Hardwick Grange which i left when she was laid up due to the foot and mouth outbreak at the time.great company and great officers and crew.Still haunted by the Royston Grange memories as i fear i may have known some of the crew on board.

vasco
7th March 2012, 01:20
[QUOTE=para handy clyde;581667 Still haunted by the Royston Grange memories as i fear i may have known some of the crew on board.[/QUOTE]

The thread on this site http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=7142&page=2

contains crew lists and here http://picasaweb.google.com/v3asco/R...eNewsCuttings#
is my collection of press cuttings.

para handy clyde
8th March 2012, 19:44
Many Thanks Vasco for taking the time to reply to my Post.I have looked at the names and the Sands of time have dimmed my memory as to whether i sailed with some of the officers or Crew.However it is with great Sadness that i view the Names as any one of us could have been on the Royston if we were given the posting.

Parana
27th April 2012, 23:47
I was senior apprentice the trip she went over the wall in the Bay of Biscay. Lousy weather and nothing was ever seen of her . that was the first of four M/O I had at regular two year intervals. The only one we got back was on the Swan River off St Vincent in the Cape Verde Is. Never heard anymore about the lady on the Duke.
Mike HowdenI was a passenger, with my new husband, to Buenos Aires on the Duquesa in 1960. We left London on 8th March. I have just found the passenger list but there is someone missing. There were ten of us, including two children, but only nine are named as having embarked. The tenth was more than likely an Argentine woman, who asked me if she could have a page from my writing pad as she needed to write a letter. I gave her a page and resumed my own letter-writing. Later, during dinner, the Captain ran past our table shouting "She's gone" and we heard that she had jumped overboard, leaving a letter which may have been for the relatives who were waiting for her when we docked. The ship was turned and the sea around was searched but she was not found. After some time we went on our way, but I did wonder what the story was behind the poor woman's suicide. She was said to be being deported because she was destitute. Does anyone know anything about this?

I have noticed that the posts are mainly from crews, but someone just might have crewed on the Duquesa in March 1960?

guinnessmick
29th April 2012, 13:22
I was senior apprentice the trip she went over the wall in the Bay of Biscay. Lousy weather and nothing was ever seen of her . that was the first of four M/O I had at regular two year intervals. The only one we got back was on the Swan River off St Vincent in the Cape Verde Is. Never heard anymore about the lady on the Duke.
Mike Howden
i was on the swan river when the person went over he is a good friend of mine Brian Chapman, he was a very lucky person to be found alive and to be no less the worse for it.
i was the second cook that trip and i did two more trips on her ,a great ship and a great captain too

para handy clyde
29th April 2012, 17:52
Joined the Clydesdale in Greenock.We went aboard during her fitting out .I was galley boy and spent most of the time making tea for the cleaners.Eventfull maiden voyage,We lost most of our freezer supplies due to the fan failing mid atlantic.Then collided in the mississipi after loading grain .I remember all the plates coming off the shelves when she was going full astern and the severe vibration that went on for ages.Then more tea duties for the investigators who came aboard later.I think we grounded after the collision.
We were fully laden with grain and it was decided to patch up the hole in the bow and be weather routed to Rotterdam for repairs.
I was flown home by houlders.My first time in the Air with a fear of hieghts.I said it was eventfull.
hope this triggers a few memories

Parana
29th April 2012, 17:54
I was Third Mate on the Swan when I went with an AB to bring in the side streaming log as we were approaching St Vincent. He threw the grapnell and slipped over the rail. Fortunately there was a lifebelt with a light on it nearby so I threw it to him. The Old Man, Potts, brought the ship around on a Williamson Turn and we had the lad back on board in 17 minutes via the pilot ladder. The mate even went down the ladder to recover the lifebelt. I said to him that I thought the prop would have got him but he replied that the only thing worrying him was the "nobby clarks". Happy days on the Swan River. Please give my best wishes to Chapman.
Mike Howdeni was on the swan river when the person went over he is a good friend of mine Brian Chapman, he was a very lucky person to be found alive and to be no less the worse for it.
i was the second cook that trip and i did two more trips on her ,a great ship and a great captain too

guinnessmick
30th April 2012, 07:37
I was Third Mate on the Swan when I went with an AB to bring in the side streaming log as we were approaching St Vincent. He threw the grapnell and slipped over the rail. Fortunately there was a lifebelt with a light on it nearby so I threw it to him. The Old Man, Potts, brought the ship around on a Williamson Turn and we had the lad back on board in 17 minutes via the pilot ladder. The mate even went down the ladder to recover the lifebelt. I said to him that I thought the prop would have got him but he replied that the only thing worrying him was the "nobby clarks". Happy days on the Swan River. Please give my best wishes to Chapman.
Mike Howden

i will do and my best wishes to you too and your right they were happy days

Cynthia Myers Dickin
6th May 2012, 23:10
SS 创Royston Grange创 - Photo Album - 40th anniversary -

https://picasaweb.google.com/117744514501194369148/SSRoystonGrange11thMay197211thMay2012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

There will be more photographs, posted after Friday 11th May 2012

Regards,
Cynthia Myers Dickin - Montevideo- Uruguay
cynthiadickin@gmail.com

Jeff Partington
8th May 2012, 17:00
Hi Ian
I sailed on my first trip on the Swan River in 1963. After that on the Duquesa and the Bidford Priory. There was an Ian 3rd eng &a Willie 5th eng. on the Swan River, ring any bells?

Jeff

Cynthia Myers Dickin
8th May 2012, 19:20
Jeff,
I磛e re-sent your posting to my husband = Ian Dickin
iandickin@adinet.com.uy
He磍l probably get back to you, later today.
Regards,
Cynthia Myers Dickin
cynthiadickin@gmail.com

Parana
8th May 2012, 23:30
Jeff,
I sailed on the Swan from Jun 62 until Mar 64 as 3/O.
The 3/Eng's name was Ian Seaton. I remember Willie but his surname escapes me.
All the very best, Mike Howden
Hi Ian
I sailed on my first trip on the Swan River in 1963. After that on the Duquesa and the Bidford Priory. There was an Ian 3rd eng &a Willie 5th eng. on the Swan River, ring any bells?

Jeff

marinero
9th May 2012, 09:54
SS 创Royston Grange创 - Photo Album - 40th anniversary -

https://picasaweb.google.com/117744514501194369148/SSRoystonGrange11thMay197211thMay2012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

There will be more photographs, posted after Friday 11th May 2012

Regards,
Cynthia Myers Dickin - Montevideo- Uruguay
cynthiadickin@gmail.com

Hi Cynthia.
That is very decent of you to put those photos on the site. I have taken the liberty of copying a couple for my own collection.

Many thanks

Leo

merrymagpie
11th May 2012, 17:40
Noticed on AIS that the ex British Steel (mv Good Luck) was broken up at Alang a few months ago and the ex Ironbridge (mv Hebei Loyalty) arrived at Chittagong last month for the same fate.

Mike Bartle

evan.jones
14th May 2012, 21:00
Hi there,

drop us a line and ill give you my tel no evan

saltyswamp
12th July 2012, 22:27
Mike Nutbrown Died on sunday 8th July, He had not been in the best of health for A few years, I sailed with him on CLYMENE (2) Where his wife(Liz) and my wife became friends, as they were both pregnant. Liz now his ex wife informed us yesterday of his passing.

RIP Nutters

Stuart

Mikeangell
20th July 2012, 03:42
I am wondering whether any one on the forum remember my dad, he was Ron Angell and was with Houlder brothers during my early childhood. I do know that he was on Ocean Transport for a while amongst others.

I have recently come across some some old papers etc which lists his ships and dates so will be able to be more specific with some details.

I would love to know more as sadly he passed away some 30 years ago when I was about 11 and despite finding old pictures of ships and old references etc, I do not know much about his life at sea and would love to find out more.

Ken West
24th July 2012, 07:35
Hi Paul, I remember your dad Mike, best regards to you all. Ken West

Mikeangell
24th July 2012, 17:49
Hi Ken

I don't really know much about my Dad's life at sea as I was too young to remember or probably be allowed to hear some of the stories.

I am trying to trace my family tree and don't have much information regarding my Dad's life in the Merchant Navy or anything to do with his life down South before he met my Mum.

I am hoping that I will be able to get some snippets that will help with tracing my family tree as well as finding out more about Dad's life at sea. Apart from some old black and white photos and a huge Pye valve radio that I still have.

I have also managed to find some of his old papers so can trace the dates and ships he served on

Do you have any contact with any one who may be able to help/remember Dad or have some stories you could share?

Anything would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Ken West
24th July 2012, 22:53
Hi Mike, I only recall a Ron Angell in the period around 1972 1975 from a few relieving trips I did on the Westbury and the Swan River, short trips from Bristol to Liverpool and then standby for the cargo to be unloaded and ready for permanent ship sailing crew to return. I did not know Ron well. Good luck with your search.

Ken West

Mikeangell
25th July 2012, 00:51
Hi Ken

Thanks for getting back to me, Hopefully I will come across some one in these forums that served with Dad.

ALAN TYLER
25th July 2012, 13:22
Hi Mike, I don,t think I sailed with your Dad but I,ve got some old crew lists from the 70,s. What department was he in Deck, Engine or Catering if you know the department it would cut down my search. All the best Alan.

BOB.WHITTAKER
25th July 2012, 21:50
Mike,
I was deepsea second engineer on the Ocean Transport from August 72 till approximately January 74,during this time I met your father 3 or 4 times as he was one of Houlders stalwarts who met and relieved on the general cargo ships when they came into UK ports to discharge and then load again to sail.Two others were Alec Cowderoy (Sirname spelling may not be corect) and another Alec, or maybe Alex "The Silver Fox".
Though I didn't sail deep sea with him we did have some time onboard on "round the land" voyages together.He was an experienced and well respected engineer,always immaculately turned out when he came onboard and I remember him particularly as he would join the ship sporting the Houlders company tie and also their blaizer badge. The extended "Smoko's" in the duty mess were also better than any college lectures for anyone doing their tickets,both 2cnds and Chiefs.
I hope you found my comments of interest,it was a pleasure to meet your Dad. Cheers Bob Whittaker.

BOB.WHITTAKER
25th July 2012, 22:02
Mike, Bob Whittaker again, don't whatever you do get rid of the big vave radio, I would guess that it is a "Pye Cambridge",highly prized by everyone some 45 - 50 years ago.With one of those you were as upto date as the "radio op." Cheers Bob.

guinnessmick
28th July 2012, 18:41
Mike Howden
i saw brian yesterday and he asked me to pass on his very best wishes

tondav3137
28th August 2012, 19:39
Hi Ian, I did two trips on the Rippingham Grange, 1st trip left Birkenhead Jan 1958 has chippy did a nine monther on the MANZ run,2and trip was a follow on 5 month to New Zealand and back via the States and Canada I left then and moved to Shaw Savill.I found the Rip ok. the only thing was mine and the Bosuns cabin was in a deck house between 5&6 hatch and the steam pipes went along each side of the deck house to the cargo winches so we had a lot of jaspers for company. all the best Tony D

captmabr
3rd September 2012, 20:53
Message for Bob Whittaker, I just heard the Murray Gunn the night shift baker on the UJ passed away, its funny but I can still smell that bread, Willy B

BOB.WHITTAKER
4th September 2012, 21:51
ALAN TYLER/LEO HANNAN Did you see previous message from Willy Brown regards Murray Gunn . BOB

George Simpson
5th September 2012, 07:26
Message for Bob Whittaker, I just heard the Murray Gunn the night shift baker on the UJ passed away, its funny but I can still smell that bread, Willy B

Murray was a good guy and a dam fine baker RIP.
At this rate there will be a full crew waiting in sailors heaven for the UJ.

George

marinero
5th September 2012, 11:14

Hi Bob.
I thought his name was Murray McCloud unless it was someone else who went there after I had left.
As George said we will have a full crew went we get there and enough for a relief as well.

Regards

Leo

captmabr
6th September 2012, 11:10
Sorry for mistake, Murray Macleod was known locally in Stornoway as Murray Gunn, its an island thing. Anyway the poor souls was fixing tiles on his roof while the wife was away and slipped and fell.
There is a lesson there for all us old-timers

marinero
6th September 2012, 11:17
Sorry for mistake, Murray Macleod was known locally in Stornoway as Murray Gunn, its an island thing. Anyway the poor souls was fixing tiles on his roof while the wife was away and slipped and fell.
There is a lesson there for all us old-timers

Thanks for that Willie. That's not the way most of us would want to go. I knew Murray for years, a very much liked and respected member of any crew. The knowledge he passed on to many a young and upcoming Cook/Baker was priceless.

Regards

Leo

kester
19th September 2012, 12:20
My mother Inger was a passenger on the Condesa from Napier NZ to the UK in March 1958. She returned on the Rippingham Grange from Liverpool arriving Wellington Dec 1958. As a 15 year old I was allowed to coast on the Condesa during the school holidays from Picton to Port Chalmers to Bluff. Does anyone remember the date when both the Condesa & the Rippingham Grange were alongside each in Port Chalmers, either Jan/Feb 1959 or Jan/Feb 1960. Many Thanks. Kester Macfarlane

ALAN TYLER
19th September 2012, 15:11
ALAN TYLER/LEO HANNAN Did you see previous message from Willy Brown regards Murray Gunn . BOB

Hi Bob Only just found this post, so sad to hear of Murray,s passing. He was a top baker and genuine bloke. Alan.

Cavendish403
5th October 2012, 08:53
Hi Marc,
Yes i knew your dad, and yes, you are quite right, he did marry an Ecuadorian lady and the last time I saw him he was happily living in Quito.

i never actually sailed with him but i was working on a ship called the Darwin which was being used as a gas storage tanker just outside the city of Guayaquil. Briggsy was the Chief engineer of the lighter ship that used to take gas from the Darwin to shore.

We all worked for the same company (Furness Withy) and so when their ship (The Ancon) was along side us overnight we would always all get together for a party - pretty much everyone out there was ex Houlder Brothers so it was something of a family gathering when the 2 ships were together.

Your dad was a great bloke to socialise with and a real gentleman - not to mention a well respected engineer.

just to give you an idea of timings, i was working in Ecuador round about 2000/2001

kenneth kenny
21st October 2012, 22:19
Shaftesbury signed on 28-10-1959,l
Sailed from Liverpool,the ship was in the River Scheldt approaching Antwerp in thick fog,she grounded off that River on to Sandbank in November 1959,she stayed there till next day,till the high tide came in.Anybody on that Ship same as me .Put more information on Merchant Navy Web Site.Ken.

malekith
18th December 2012, 03:31
hi deck cadet,3rd and 2nd with Houlders 74-89.loads of ships.mainly gas,but others too.At moment master with Wioghtlink IOW ferries.

marinero
18th December 2012, 19:21
hi deck cadet,3rd and 2nd with Houlders 74-89.loads of ships.mainly gas,but others too.At moment master with Wioghtlink IOW ferries.

Hi Malekith.
What's your name and the ships you were on as I was on the gas tankers for a number of years. I travel across to the IOW now and then to visit relatives. You didn't by any chance do a spell on the "Longbow"?

Regards
Leo Hannan

malekith
18th December 2012, 23:29
paul marshall is the name.
"no" to longbow.

not having my discharge book here,I'll have guess order and names of ships thru career.On Solent seas at the moment.

St Margaret,Hardwicke Grange,Stolt Span,Clymene(old tanker),Clymene(newer bulk)Orotava,Dunster Grange,Orepesa,Andes,Derwent,Dart Britain,Humboldt,Clerk Maxwell,Cavendish,Faraday,Hornby Grange,British Steel.
There maybe more,but I need to check my records.
Also went to South Shields and Warsash.
Dah dah hows that?

Regards Paul

marinero
19th December 2012, 14:22
paul marshall is the name.
"no" to longbow.

not having my discharge book here,I'll have guess order and names of ships thru career.On Solent seas at the moment.

St Margaret,Hardwicke Grange,Stolt Span,Clymene(old tanker),Clymene(newer bulk)Orotava,Dunster Grange,Orepesa,Andes,Derwent,Dart Britain,Humboldt,Clerk Maxwell,Cavendish,Faraday,Hornby Grange,British Steel.
There maybe more,but I need to check my records.
Also went to South Shields and Warsash.
Dah dah hows that?

Regards Paul
Hi Paul.
Thanks for the quick response. I was on Hardwicke 62,Humboldt 80's.Cavendish 70's, about 37 years all told. Retired 99.

Regards

Leo

malekith
20th December 2012, 01:04
hi again,armed with discharge book.A few ships missed.
A chance for others to peruse too.
St Margaret 10/74-11/74 Stolt Span 12/74-03/75
Hardwicke Grange 04/75-08/75 SouthShieldsColl.
Clymene 02/76-07/76 Clerk Maxwell 08/76-02/77

malekith
20th December 2012, 01:20
Dunster Grange 04/77-07/77 Faraday 10/77-12/77
SouthShieldsColl.Orotava 09/78-03/79 Clymene 07/79-11/79
Ripon Grange 01/80-05/80 Humboldt 08/80-09/80
Upwey Grange 12/80-05/81 Derwent, Seaforth Dry dock 10/81
Banbury, Seaforth Dry dock 11/81 Orduna 12/81-05/82
Hornby Grange 08/82-01/83 and 04/83-08/83
Oropesa 10/83-01/84 Faraday 02/84-08/84
Cavendish 05/85-10/85 Pacific Peace 01/86-05/86
Dart Britain 05/86-06/86 Andes 08/86-09/86
Lord Kelvin 12/86-04/87 British Steel 06/87-11/87 and 02/88-09/88

Left service to Warsash for master's,obtained then to Sealink I.o.W
ferries,and by golly, sigh , still here.

as they say pick the bones out of that!!
All the best,and a Merry Christmas,Paul.

saltyswamp
25th December 2012, 23:00
Dunster Grange 04/77-07/77 Faraday 10/77-12/77
SouthShieldsColl.Orotava 09/78-03/79 Clymene 07/79-11/79
Ripon Grange 01/80-05/80 Humboldt 08/80-09/80
Upwey Grange 12/80-05/81 Derwent, Seaforth Dry dock 10/81
Banbury, Seaforth Dry dock 11/81 Orduna 12/81-05/82
Hornby Grange 08/82-01/83 and 04/83-08/83
Oropesa 10/83-01/84 Faraday 02/84-08/84
Cavendish 05/85-10/85 Pacific Peace 01/86-05/86
Dart Britain 05/86-06/86 Andes 08/86-09/86
Lord Kelvin 12/86-04/87 British Steel 06/87-11/87 and 02/88-09/88

Left service to Warsash for master's,obtained then to Sealink I.o.W
ferries,and by golly, sigh , still here.

as they say pick the bones out of that!!
All the best,and a Merry Christmas,Paul.

merry crimbo paul where the f**k you been hiding
stuart

marinero
26th December 2012, 13:24
Merry Christmas Stuart and all the other Houlder old timers and have a peaceful and prosperous New Year.

Regards

Leo(Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
26th December 2012, 15:11
Merry Christmas Stuart and all the other Houlder old timers and have a peaceful and prosperous New Year.

Regards

Leo(Thumb)

What about us younger ex Houlders guys Leo ? (*))

All the best to all seaman, ex-seaman and those who love the sea.

billy vokes
26th December 2012, 16:09
Hi Ian,
I thnk you were the chief mate on the Furness Bridge in 1975 if my memory serves me right after all these years! i joined in June 1975 in Genoa as first trip deck boy. I remember the bosun was Bob Thorne from cornwall and Wee Jimmy Gilzean was master. There was an extra mate on that trip and i think his surname was Evans??. That was the trip where we had the please of several months in Rio for repairs, such a hard life when you were only 16!!
Would be interested to hear if that was you on that trip and do you remember any more names.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave
did you have a brother who also sailed with houlders, called michael

billy vokes
26th December 2012, 20:03
Here`s some picture`s from the Hornby Grange from 1979,anybody recognise any faces? That`s me in the front of the first pic

the one at the back is andy lynski, (AS) sailed with him twice and went to stay at his place for a week in leeds,great and funny guy would love to hear from him

Dinah
26th December 2012, 23:07
I'm looking for some information concerning the Ledbury pre 1958 and would be grateful if anyone could help with this. I sailed on the Ledbury as a deck apprentice during 1958-1960. There was a story that, some years previously, the Ledbury had sustained a split across the main deck during a typhoon off Japan, which was not an uncommon fault with Liberty Ships. Apparently she managed to make Yokohama where the split was repaired and doubling plates fitted around the hull. Is there anyone still around who knows anything about this incident?
By the way, I have posted a photograph of the Ledbury taken alongside in Necochea, Argentina in 1959, about to load a cargo of grain.

Nick Batstone
27th December 2012, 21:11
the one at the back is andy lynski, (AS) sailed with him twice and went to stay at his place for a week in leeds,great and funny guy would love to hear from him

Hi Billy,

Last time I saw you was walking up Kings Cross in Sydney and you were staying at the Gazebo hotel!!!

saltyswamp
27th December 2012, 21:25
What about us younger ex Houlders guys Leo ? (*))

All the best to all seaman, ex-seaman and those who love the sea.

Your not so young malc
regards
stuart

marinero
28th December 2012, 11:32
Your not so young malc
regards
stuart
Malcolm and Stuart you are both just snapper whippers compared to some on here.

All the best

Leo

ALAN TYLER
28th December 2012, 11:57

All the best

Leo

Act your age Leo!!! All the Best for the New Year, Alan.

billy vokes
28th December 2012, 13:19
Hi Billy,

Last time I saw you was walking up Kings Cross in Sydney and you were staying at the Gazebo hotel!!!

Hi Nick
remember that, what a chance encounter, we had a few nights in the Gazebo before flying up to newcastle to join the Abbey which had been delayed by bad weather on her way back from japan.

before that I think we done a few months togather on the Joule along with Andy Lynski and we almost missed the ship up in Norway, the agent had to trawl the bars in a taxi looking for us and we just made the pilot boat on its way back out to collect the pilot. LOL

good to hear from you brother

marinero
28th December 2012, 13:53
Act your age Leo!!! All the Best for the New Year, Alan.

Hi Alan. All the best for the new year.

Leo

Nick Batstone
28th December 2012, 23:32
Hi Nick
remember that, what a chance encounter, we had a few nights in the Gazebo before flying up to newcastle to join the Abbey which had been delayed by bad weather on her way back from japan.

before that I think we done a few months togather on the Joule along with Andy Lynski and we almost missed the ship up in Norway, the agent had to trawl the bars in a taxi looking for us and we just made the pilot boat on its way back out to collect the pilot. LOL

good to hear from you brother

Ha Ha remember that night well. First time I ever got pissed on red wine. I still have my breach of code form for that somewhere.

billy vokes
30th December 2012, 18:19
Ha Ha remember that night well. First time I ever got pissed on red wine. I still have my breach of code form for that somewhere.

No, not at sea anymore m8, left in 87, living down in Kent now working for a company that supplies the cruise boats.

How bout you, still knocking out them dodgy bread rolls. he he

Ian Davenport
30th December 2012, 23:23
In 1961/2 the STS Anadara was in the Bay of Biscay together, going to load at Puerto Miranda.
I was 17 and got worried that the Clutha River had sunk in the very high seas, as I had not been able to see her abeam for half an hour.
The 2nd mate checked the radar to confirm she was still abeam riding in the troughs of the 30ft+ waves.
We sailed to the same destinations quite a few times.

saltyswamp
31st December 2012, 22:15

All the best

Leo

Hi Leo
if we're just whapper snippers how long in the tooth do'se that make thee.

Happy & Healthy New year to one and all.

Stuart

marinero
1st January 2013, 11:17
Hi Stuart.
Coming up 69 now and beginning to feel it. Mind you though I'm still not ready for the "Big Bond Locker in the Sky" yet.

Happy and prosperous New Year to you and the family.

Leo

MARINEJOCKY
1st January 2013, 22:09
So you are not that much older than Stuart & I, all the best for the new year, Malcolm

marinero
2nd January 2013, 11:43
So you are not that much older than Stuart & I, all the best for the new year, Malcolm

Hi Malcolm. I just feel older as I had a heavy paper round when I was a young lad. Mind you though, all those years looking after you lot is enough to put years on anyone.

Regards to all the family Malcolm and have a good year.

Leo

vicday
2nd January 2013, 20:30
I was on the Westbury returning from South America when the Royston Grange went down in the River Plate, we passed her on the high seas.

vicday
5th January 2013, 03:28
I was on the Westbury in 1973 or thereabouts, good ship I was the Chief Cook

steam train
25th January 2013, 20:47
Report in Dundee Courier this week.Described due to bad weather, that mysterious large pieces of lard have been washed up on the beach at St Cyrus north of Montrose. These were from a convoy during June 1941 from the ship SS Queensbury. Which was travelling south as part of a large convoy. The convoy was around 10 to 15 miles off the coast when it was spotted by the Luffwaffe and further planes were sent from Norway to attack it.The recent bad weather had freed the lard from the sunken merchant ships.
There is a photo of the ship in the Newspaper.Was it part of the same fleet as Westbury, Banbury etc.

Steam Train.

Nick Batstone
25th January 2013, 23:00
Report in Dundee Courier this week.Described due to bad weather, that mysterious large pieces of lard have been washed up on the beach at St Cyrus north of Montrose. These were from a convoy during June 1941 from the ship SS Queensbury. Which was travelling south as part of a large convoy. The convoy was around 10 to 15 miles off the coast when it was spotted by the Luffwaffe and further planes were sent from Norway to attack it.The recent bad weather had freed the lard from the sunken merchant ships.
There is a photo of the ship in the Newspaper.Was it part of the same fleet as Westbury, Banbury etc.

Steam Train.

I take it the lard was the cargo and not some serious over-ordering from the Chief Steward.

Nick Batstone
25th January 2013, 23:09
No, not at sea anymore m8, left in 87, living down in Kent now working for a company that supplies the cruise boats.

How bout you, still knocking out them dodgy bread rolls. he he

Hi Billy

No, I left in 1988 and changed career completely and now work for a furniture research company in Stevenage. I live in Guildford now as I am home-based and have an office where I sit all day on the lap top and phone.

Don't have much to do with the sea life now but sometimes re-live the old days by sitting in a darkened room listening to Dark Side of the Moon having a puff!!

Did you keep in touch with Andy? He was a top bloke.

rob mcc
12th February 2013, 23:32
on the subject of horse meat was there a story of two lads on one of the meat boats caught trying to take horse meat out of the royal docks thinking it was steak from the argentine

Joh Heaton
13th February 2013, 08:42
Beleive it was on the Royston Grange one was the third eng who drank only Nouilly Prat and I think the other was his mate the Lecky who drank only Guinness
Sorry can't remember their names only what they drank at the time I was cadet
John

vasco
13th February 2013, 21:04
The lecky may have been Maurice Patterson,well, he was (Nthn) Irish so could well have been a Guiness man?

Dave AW
10th March 2013, 20:50
I sailed on the IMPERIAL TRANSPORT in1960 from feb.till may .Kept diary of the ports DaveAW.

duquesa
10th March 2013, 23:22
DaveAW. Sent you a pm

jpearson
11th April 2013, 10:08
Sailed on the ABADESA as EDH 1965,nice ship but missed the derricks.Jake.

Baron von Hicks
30th April 2013, 17:09
Hi, I sailed with Houlders from 1970 to 1976
First trip, Humbolt, Teesport to Punta Cardon, Deck Cadet.
Just joined forum at sprightly age of 60.

ALAN TYLER
1st May 2013, 15:47
Hi, I sailed with Houlders from 1970 to 1976
First trip, Humbolt, Teesport to Punta Cardon, Deck Cadet.
Just joined forum at sprightly age of 60.
Welcome to the site "Baron" sailed on the Humboldt 74/75 before moving offshore with Houlders.

Baron von Hicks
3rd May 2013, 21:05
I joined the Humboldt on 24/9/70 in Middlesborough and paid off in Baton Rouge on 26.2.71, In those days she was imaculate and hadn't had the rigours of the Riga - Rouen run to contend with. Had the pleasure of sailing with Tom Woolcott, a top man in the gas world.

Baron von Hicks
3rd May 2013, 21:14
I sailed on the Stolt Abadesa in 1972, flew to Cochin from London, via Bombay and Bangalore! Joined in Cochin, then on to Colombo, Madras, Penang, Port Swettenham,Singapore, Cebu, San Francisco, LA, Panama, New Orleans, Houston, New York, Rotterdam. Flew home, Circumnavigation + a bit. Nice trip for a twenty year old, better than Nintendo!

Baron von Hicks
3rd May 2013, 21:32
Just read Jon Vincent piece on the Royston, after all these years still found it very moving. We were in the Plate shortly after and our engineers had to go over to the Royston and take off her diesel for our gennies. They found it pretty tough going. I'm sure we can all remember where we were around the world when we heard.

Jamie71q
5th May 2013, 14:30
My Father Workd For Houlder Marine Drilling Back in the Mid 70s till it was bought over by Stena Drilling , he then went to work for them.

I think he worked as a Tool Pusher on the KUK and the Dundee Kingsnorth. He then went to work in the Office in Bridge of Don ,

My Fathers name is Jim Harding, I remember Willie Vermullen from the office as well not sure if thats how you spell his name.

take care

Jamie Harding

BOB.WHITTAKER
6th May 2013, 22:00
JAMIE , your father will be well remembered by any H.M.D. personnel from the 70's and 80's on both semi's and jack ups . Did you work on Bay Driller And Shelf Driller. Cheers Bob Whittaker

Roger Olney
15th May 2013, 22:13
Hi All. Just found this site a few days ago.
I am Tim Stenner & was with Houlder Shipping from Sept 1970 when I started as an Engineer Cadet to March 1984 when I left the Clerk Maxwell as 2nd/Eng and transferred to Houlder Marine Drilling and the KUK.
Orotava June 72 to Jan 73 (Cadet)
Clyde Bridge Feb 74 to Sept 74 (Cadet & Jnr/Eng)
Cumbria Nov 74 to March 75 (5th/Eng
Humbolt Sept 75 to Dec 75 (Dia Davies & the road signs) (5th Eng)
Faraday Jan 76 to Jun 76 (5th/Eng)
Banbury Aug 76 to Jun 77 ( 3 x Trips on PSNC Run) (4th Eng)
Lord Kelvin Dec 77 Stood by in Italy & sailed May 78. Then various trips until
May 81 (4th/Eng - 3rd/Eng - 2nd/Eng)
Faraday Aug 81 to Jan 82 (2nd/Eng)
Humbolt Apr 82 to Sept 82 (2nd/Eng)
Lord Kelvin Nov 82 to Apr 83 (2nd/Eng)
Clerk Max Nov 83 to March 84 (2nd /Eng)
Then the rigs ...KUK - Dundee Kingsnorth - High Seas Driller - South Seas Driller - Ross Isle - Shelf Explorer - John Shaw - Nordic - Paul B Loyd.

Happy Christmas to one & All.

Cheers
Tim Stenner

Hi Tim
Im a newbe to the site.
Stood by Lord Kelvin as second all of the Build and first voyage so we must have been together.
Think you broke your thumb skiing with me ?
regards

Roger Olney
15th May 2013, 22:48
Anyone remember Ch.Eng. Bill Blaylock from I think East Boldon, I sailed on the Oean Transport as 2E with him. His wife Margret used to accompany him on many of his trips, including his last which was on the Furness Bridge where he was onboard as the "extra chief" tasked with setting up a spare gear system for the three sister ships Furness Bridge-Sir John Hunter-Sir Alexander Glen.This untill the working Chief had to be landed, due to I think an accident onboard .

Hi Bob I sailed with Bill Blaylock as 4E on the Tewksbury to NZ with his wife (best trip I ever did) and was with him in Italy on the Lord Kelvin new build. Bill was doing spare gear for Lloyds.

I think we were together at Shields Tech if so you borrowed my car to take your ticket ?

BOB.WHITTAKER
16th May 2013, 23:50
ROGER , I remember it well , a red Mk III 2 door 2 litre cortina GT,I borrowed it to go from South Shields to Gosforth for Chiefs orals . Passed and have never been as elated either before or since , that was 1976. Straight back to Shields and an afternoon session in The Westoe to celebrate . We did have a brief spell together on The Humbolt in 1972 when Clive Wintle (gone now), Les (Spike) Wright and myself joined it in Le Havre as extra hands to go to Riga and left at Kiel on the return.Tom Woolcot was the "Old Man" the chief was the Anglo/Indian Chap (A real gentleman but his name escapes me) the 2cnd was young lad Tony I think (His father was a vicar ?)the Leckie was a Cornishman and the engine room storekeeper was "Black Bob"
After getting my Chiefs in 1976 I went Offshore on Oregis / Uncle John / Bay Driller / Morecambe Bay Platforms seconded to British Gas / Shelf Driller . Long retired now ( 70 in 3 weeks ) Play about with Kit Cars these days just finished a Westfield Eleven ,areplica of a1956 Lotus Eleven , this is the last one no more !!
It was good to hear from you . Cheers BOB

Tony Long
21st May 2013, 02:54
Hello everyone who may be reading this message, my name is Tony Long, and I joined the merchant navy in 1954, as a 16 year old, getting a bit grey and wrinkled now (POP) The main reason for writing, is to try to find an "OLD" friend by the name of David Moorhouse, David and I served on the Ovingdean Grange between February 1956 and February 1957, in that time we did three trips down to South America, we were both boy ratings, David was an officer cadet, and I was a lowly cabin boy, I have been trying to locate David for some time now, but am unable to find him through the usual facebook or google searches, whether he stayed with Houlder Bros to become a captain or not, I've no idea, as we completely lost touch after I left the company, and went onto the NZ run. Any info would be very much appreciated. (Wave)

Tony

Kind regards to all.

Cynthia Myers Dickin
21st May 2013, 10:16
Hope you contact your 创old friend创... Feel sure that there may be guys out there, who somehow, are in touch or know if he磗 alive and where ....
All the best,
Cynthia Myers Dickin - Montevideo, Uruguay

duquesa
21st May 2013, 11:15
Any info would be very much appreciated.

My time and vaguely recall the name but am afraid I have no idea what became of him. Somebody will. Good luck.

AndreBlack
3rd June 2013, 21:37

My grandfather George "Geordie" Black was with Houlders for many years and sailed with Capt Ross. I would love to hear from anyone who knew him.

AndreBlack
3rd June 2013, 21:40
Hello everyone who may be reading this message, my name is Tony Long, and I joined the merchant navy in 1954, as a 16 year old, getting a bit grey and wrinkled now (POP) The main reason for writing, is to try to find an "OLD" friend by the name of David Moorhouse, David and I served on the Ovingdean Grange between February 1956 and February 1957, in that time we did three trips down to South America, we were both boy ratings, David was an officer cadet, and I was a lowly cabin boy, I have been trying to locate David for some time now, but am unable to find him through the usual facebook or google searches, whether he stayed with Houlder Bros to become a captain or not, I've no idea, as we completely lost touch after I left the company, and went onto the NZ run. Any info would be very much appreciated. (Wave)

Tony

Kind regards to all.

My grandfather was with Houlders during this time George "Geordie" Black an would love to hear from anyone who knew him

Tony Long
3rd June 2013, 21:59
Hi Andre, a little more info would be helpful, ie: what rating, and what ships. Good luck with your search.

AndreBlack
3rd June 2013, 22:08
I was mailed a rail voucher and sent off by my parents & two sisters from Carlisle railway station to Liverpool for my "interview". I was met at Liverpool by Company guys in uniforms who made us all wait until a big group of us had all arrived and then we went to the ship in the Royal Canadian dock which I think was below the Liver Building and PSNC had an office in that same area.

We spent at least 2 days doing various tests and then sent back home to await the letter of acceptance or rejection. Happily my acceptance letter arrived. I think that was in 1969 or maybe early 1970. "Ting a Ling" was the guy in charge of the cadets. I can not rememebr the ship but it was a cargo/ passenger one and with me remembering the PSNC company connection maybe the ship was theirs.

I wonder how the guys in uniform felt standing on Liverpool railway station.

Hi Marinejockey, My Grandfather was from Carlisle and with Houlder Bros at this time George "Geordie" Black

AndreBlack
3rd June 2013, 22:23
Hi Andre, a little more info would be helpful, ie: what rating, and what ships. Good luck with your search.

Hi Tony George Black served with Houlders from 1932 until his retirement in 1980 and was Cheif pursuer. He sailed with a Capt Ross for many years running to Buenos Aires. hope this helps Regards Andre.

BOB.WHITTAKER
3rd June 2013, 22:32
George Black will be well remembered by many Houlder personnel , I'm surprised Alan Tyler and " Marinero " haven't responded by now . Bob Whittaker

AndreBlack
4th June 2013, 03:17
George Black will be well remembered by many Houlder personnel , I'm surprised Alan Tyler and " Marinero " haven't responded by now . Bob Whittaker

Thank you, Regards Andre

AndreBlack
7th June 2013, 10:24

Hello Bob,
Alan or Marinero have not yet responded if you could help I would be very interested to know on which boats George sailed on I am especially interested in which ships he may have sailed on in the 60,s and 70,s.
Regards
Andre

MARINEJOCKY
7th June 2013, 11:54
Hi Andre, once the old brain cells kick in I am sure we will all reply (when we sit down with some time). In the mean time search around for some old crew lists that we have all posted on here and you may find your granda's name. Leo & Alan will be the best sources though. I remember the name but not sure if I sailed with him. Regards Malcolm

AndreBlack
7th June 2013, 16:18
Hi Andre, once the old brain cells kick in I am sure we will all reply (when we sit down with some time). In the mean time search around for some old crew lists that we have all posted on here and you may find your granda's name. Leo & Alan will be the best sources though. I remember the name but not sure if I sailed with him. Regards Malcolm

Hi Malcolm, Thank you very much for your assistance I will try that. Regards Andre.

marinero
7th June 2013, 17:20
Hi Andre.
I've been on holiday hence the late reply. I never sailed with George as we were of the same rank but I'm sure Alan Tyler did as I have heard him talk of him. From all accounts he was a well liked bloke. A friend of his was I'm sure someone called Lenny Farrer but we haven't heard from Lenny for years. Anyway, I'm certain other people will have sailed with George. Another bloke who knew your Grandad was Charlie Brodie who was also from the Carlisle area.

Regards

Leo (Marinero) (Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
11th June 2013, 12:35
Hi Andre, Like Leo I,ve been away sunning myself in Crete so likewise hence the delay. I sailed with your grandad on the 2nd voyage of the Furness Bridge in Dec 71 to Mar 72, joining in Lavera (S France) and paying-off in Wilhelmshaven ( Germany). The trip was to the Persian Gulf ( Rastanura) via Capetown the ship was to big to go through the Suez canal. I was the Chief Cook and George was Chief Steward my good friend Lennie Farrar was 2nd Steward. George was the sort of person who didn,t suffer fools gladly and I,m glad to say we got on well together and we enjoyed the trip together although the destination left alot to be desired!! the captain that trip was Jimmy Gilzean. I,ve got some old crew lists I,ll look through to tell you some of the other ships he sailed. he was one of Houlders stalwart Chief Stewards, feared by some and truly respected by others, I,m in the latter catagory!! All the Best Alan.

BOB.WHITTAKER
11th June 2013, 21:39
Alan , it was in my memory you had sailed with George Black,hence my comment about you responding.I was on the Orotava Bridge with him about 1970 as a junior or fourth engineer , as you say feared by some but I would add respected by all .
For your interest I was at a classic car show at Hamilton Hall Farm St. Michaels on the Wyre on Sunday 9th of June (Achieved Three Score and Ten on that day ) However due traffic and family committments for the late afternoon I had to head for home otherwise I would have looked you up. will have a run over in the near future but will contact you first. Cheers Bob Whittaker

ALAN TYLER
12th June 2013, 10:57
Bob, Sorry you couldn,t make it at the weekend, glad you did well in the car show. I was just going to put your time on the Oratava on the site for Andre, according to the crew list you were 3rd Engineer and John Macadam was 1st mate. It would be great it we could meet up again, maybe meet up halfway say at Ribchester if you don,t want to come all the way. In recent months I,ve met up with Leo and Eddie Moore R/O. Hope to see you soon Alan.

ALAN TYLER
12th June 2013, 11:09
Andre, As promised I,ve looked at the crew lists and come up with the following ships George sailed in, obviously he was on alot more but these are the ones I know of. He was still on the Furness Bridge in may 72, Orotava Bridge 1-4-71, Cavendish 1-9-71, Lynton grange 1-9-78. There,s probably photographs of all these ships in the gallery with more info on them. Also if memory serves me right he went offshore on the Oregis briefly when I was sailing in her on a relief trip. Alan.

AndreBlack
20th June 2013, 16:50
Andre, As promised I,ve looked at the crew lists and come up with the following ships George sailed in, obviously he was on alot more but these are the ones I know of. He was still on the Furness Bridge in may 72, Orotava Bridge 1-4-71, Cavendish 1-9-71, Lynton grange 1-9-78. There,s probably photographs of all these ships in the gallery with more info on them. Also if memory serves me right he went offshore on the Oregis briefly when I was sailing in her on a relief trip. Alan.

Hi Alan,

Apologies for the late reply. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and supplying me with with some of the ships George sailed on. My wife and I have had a little laugh to ourselves about your comment feared by some and respected by others. Obviously it brought back some fond memories for us. Regards Andre.

AndreBlack
20th June 2013, 16:57
Hi Andre.
I've been on holiday hence the late reply. I never sailed with George as we were of the same rank but I'm sure Alan Tyler did as I have heard him talk of him. From all accounts he was a well liked bloke. A friend of his was I'm sure someone called Lenny Farrer but we haven't heard from Lenny for years. Anyway, I'm certain other people will have sailed with George. Another bloke who knew your Grandad was Charlie Brodie who was also from the Carlisle area.

Regards

Leo (Marinero) (Thumb)

Hello Leo, Please accept my apologies for the late reply. Thank you for the above information the name Lenny Farrer rings a bell but I don't recall him mentioning Charlie Brodie but will try to look into it. P.S. Hope the holiday went well. Best Regards Andre

AndreBlack
20th June 2013, 17:00
My Father Workd For Houlder Marine Drilling Back in the Mid 70s till it was bought over by Stena Drilling , he then went to work for them.

I think he worked as a Tool Pusher on the KUK and the Dundee Kingsnorth. He then went to work in the Office in Bridge of Don ,

My Fathers name is Jim Harding, I remember Willie Vermullen from the office as well not sure if thats how you spell his name.

take care

Jamie Harding

Hello Jamie, Does your father now work for Saudi Aramco ? Regards Andre

Jamie71q
20th June 2013, 20:48
Hello Jamie, Does your father now work for Saudi Aramco ? Regards Andre

Yes he Does Andre.

AndreBlack
21st June 2013, 05:10
Hi Andre, Like Leo I,ve been away sunning myself in Crete so likewise hence the delay. I sailed with your grandad on the 2nd voyage of the Furness Bridge in Dec 71 to Mar 72, joining in Lavera (S France) and paying-off in Wilhelmshaven ( Germany). The trip was to the Persian Gulf ( Rastanura) via Capetown the ship was to big to go through the Suez canal. I was the Chief Cook and George was Chief Steward my good friend Lennie Farrar was 2nd Steward. George was the sort of person who didn,t suffer fools gladly and I,m glad to say we got on well together and we enjoyed the trip together although the destination left alot to be desired!! the captain that trip was Jimmy Gilzean. I,ve got some old crew lists I,ll look through to tell you some of the other ships he sailed. he was one of Houlders stalwart Chief Stewards, feared by some and truly respected by others, I,m in the latter catagory!! All the Best Alan.

Alan, I missed the bit about Ras Tanura first time and thought I would add that it is a very small world, I lived in Ras Tanura for 5 years. At the time of writing this I am sitting at Ras Tanura anchorage on a Seadrill Jack Up rig the AOD-2 waiting for rig move boats for a tow up to Tanajib about 24 hrs North of R.T.

loco
25th June 2013, 04:20
For those who have long(er) memories in Houlders, Peter Luff and Dave Enever have both recently retired as pilots for Creeksea (River Crouch, Essex). Peter went from Houlders to Trinity House pilot service (latterly as Master on the Sunk cruising cutter before the changeover to launches) then pilot on the river Colne; David via Greenpeace. I think they both left Houlders around 1970.

Saltyswamp; if you are reading this, are you the Stewart (Hood) who wanted to take a pub in Suffolk many years ago?

Regards

Martyn

duquesa
25th June 2013, 06:22
Served with both these guys, David on two occasions. Also Peter's brother, David - another Houlder app.

Nova Scotian
26th June 2013, 03:33
I sailed with Dave Enever when he was 2/O on the Denby Grange in 1966/7. After we flew home from the Gulf, Dave invited me and the other apprentice for a weekend at his place in East Anglia. We had a great time with him and his wife, Janet. Dave took us down to his parents place in East London to take in a West Ham game at Upton Park. He was a Hammers fanatic but, unfortunately, they were playing Man U and lost to the Reds 6-0. The last time I saw him was at Tower Hill. I was up for Mates and I believe Dave had just completed his Masters.

Tony's Girl
2nd July 2013, 21:23
Hi all,

I'm looking for information about my father Tony Noon. he served in the Merchant Navy between 1967 - 1969 on the Cerinthus, Bidford Priory and Denby Grange. I think his rank on discharge from the MN was 5th Engineer. What did he do, what was his job role?
I have his Seamans Record Book and know when he sailed and where from, but not where to - why isn't that recorded?
I have the following dates that he sailed and if anyone knows anything, I would be forever in their debt!!
I've tried the national archives etc, but it all seems to be before WW2.....

Cerinthus:
02.08.67 - Ellesmere Port - Discharge: Ellesmere Port 21.10.67 - FGN
21.10.67 - Ellesmere Port - Discharge: Ellesmere Port 26.10.67 - HT RUN
22.11.67 - Greenock - Discharge: Greenock 03.12.67 - FGN
04.01.68 - Barry - Discharge: Ellesmere Port 07.01.68 - FGN
08.01.68 - Ellesmere Port - Discharge: South Shields 29.01.68 - FGN
30.01.68 - South Shields - Discharge: Ellesmere Port 08.04.68 - FGN
09.04.68 - Ellesmere Port - Discharge: Kingston Jamaica 02.07.68 - FGN

Denby Grange:
05.10.68 - Immingham - Discharge: Kristiansand 18.10.68

Bidford Priory:
21.11.68 - Hamburg - Discharge: London 01.05.69

Hope anyone can help!!!

saltyswamp
1st August 2013, 22:31
For those who have long(er) memories in Houlders, Peter Luff and Dave Enever have both recently retired as pilots for Creeksea (River Crouch, Essex). Peter went from Houlders to Trinity House pilot service (latterly as Master on the Sunk cruising cutter before the changeover to launches) then pilot on the river Colne; David via Greenpeace. I think they both left Houlders around 1970.

Saltyswamp; if you are reading this, are you the Stewart (Hood) who wanted to take a pub in Suffolk many years ago?

Regards

Martyn

That is I, Have not been on site for a while, never did get the pub thank goodness. So now I'am just a lowley newsagent.
stuart

David Meech
14th August 2013, 22:07
Hi Dave
did you have a brother who also sailed with houlders, called michael

Hi Billy, sorry for the late reply, yes I do have a brother Michael and he sailed with Houlders and ended up offshore with them. Dave

jmd999
19th August 2013, 14:55
[QUOTE=Caffj;576561]Re Houlder Bros.
their Ore Carriers. He'd been with Houlders since he was an Apprentice.CaffJ[/QUOTE

Can't remember if I've replied to you already. I sailed with Patrick Joseph Cafferty as he is talked about in our house - and ok I was only about 3 years old at the time. I think my dad was 3rd engineer at the time on the Clydebridge (Fred Ditty) . Mum was with us too obviouslt and still talks of him fondly, especially when we get the old photos out.

wellsent
15th September 2013, 11:05
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I came on to this site to see if anyone remembered my father-in-law Charles (Charlie) Wells who was, among other things, the Master of Thorpe Grange.
We think he also sailed on Rippingham Grange, Condessa and Imperial Transport.
Ian McD remembers him..... does anyone else have any stories? His son Andrew and I are doing a lot of family research and would love some more meat to put on the bones! Fingers crossed! Thanks.

duquesa
15th September 2013, 12:30
As stated in another thread a short time back, I sailed with Charlie Wells when he first joined the Imperial Transprt. It was his first venture onto tankers and he was not entirely comfortable with the idea!! I had earlier been on her for along spell as apprentice and later was back as 3/0 when Charlie joined.

marinero
18th September 2013, 14:35
[QUOTE=Caffj;576561]Re Houlder Bros.
their Ore Carriers. He'd been with Houlders since he was an Apprentice.CaffJ[/QUOTE

Can't remember if I've replied to you already. I sailed with Patrick Joseph Cafferty as he is talked about in our house - and ok I was only about 3 years old at the time. I think my dad was 3rd engineer at the time on the Clydebridge (Fred Ditty) . Mum was with us too obviouslt and still talks of him fondly, especially when we get the old photos out.
Hi.
I sailed with Captain Oddy on the "Oremina" in the back end of 1968.
Like him I also had a stammer and we both had the same habit of putting our heads to one side when we spoke. I spoke with him quite a lot as I was the 2nd Steward and it was quite hilarious to see from all accounts. A very nice bloke and well respected.

Regards

Leo (Thumb)

Bounce
2nd October 2013, 21:41
I was on the Oswestry Grange in 1957 to BA we had to paint her up on the way home as she was in the film Tiger Bay with John And Hayley Mills bounce

Erimus
2nd October 2013, 23:07
Captain Oddy was one of our BISCOre office favourites in the Tees in the earrly 60's. when the smaller vessels were needed for the Gjers Ayresome Wharf....
Nice man.

geoff

lennoxgordon
14th October 2013, 22:57
how's everyone? still trying to reunite my husband with rick reid. directional driller for houlder marine. take care

steamship
19th November 2013, 00:28
Sorry to hear about Mike passing. He loved being in charge of the lifeboat when we were doing shore runs. He seemed a bit stiff when I first met him but turned out to be a nice guy.

tuwanek
24th November 2013, 05:50
This is one I have, taken in Bombay around 64-65. I was 4th engineer on the Westbury

DonCoates
24th November 2013, 12:51

Don Coates,I only did one trip on the Clutha River and that was her maiden voyage which turned out to be an unusual and different (??) experience. Anyone interested give me a call. Don

DonCoates
30th November 2013, 18:29
i was on houlder bros clutha river 1964 ian petrie

Not the first time that Baileys missed the stern gland, but I know that it wasn't missed on purpose!
Don Coates (new member)I sailed on the CLUTHA RIVER on her maiden voyage when we ran aground in the Red sea and spent 28days there before we got her off the rocks- We eventualy took took her to laSsetzia in Italy to dry dock.

DonCoates
30th November 2013, 18:30

Not the first time that Baileys missed the stern gland, but I know that it wasn't missed on purpose!
Don Coates (new member)I sailed on the CLUTHA RIVER on her maiden voyage when we ran aground in the Red sea and spent 28days there before we got her off the rocks- We eventualy took her to laSsetzia in Italy to dry dock.

DonCoates
30th November 2013, 18:31

Don Coates (new member)I sailed on the CLUTHA RIVER on her maiden voyage when we ran aground in the Red sea and spent 28days there before we got her off the rocks- We eventualy took her to laSpetzia in Italy to dry dock.

Erimus
30th November 2013, 20:38
Hope you got over the 'hiccups' Don!

Welcome

geoff

jimmelia
8th December 2013, 14:57
I was a sixteen year old mess man on the Abadesa in sep 66 .I new your father, not well but do remember you as a young baby and i think you brother would have been around five or so. I was walking past an open door to the deck where your brother in a force seven in the north Atlantic was standing on a bollard enjoying the rather large waves,he was sent packing up to his mother safe after his sea viewings.Ileft the ship in Newcastle never to sail again,my regards to your mother and brother,jim

Hey!marconi
19th December 2013, 17:10
hello everyone, Wonderful nostagic site.
Been reading everything from 2005 onwards! Thus ref #218 from Marinejocky, I am the R/O Ralph and still with my dear wife Linda. I did not know the buzzer was fixed, 10 points deducted!!!
I was looking for our very good friend Ian Hardie ( Capt) lost touch since 1982-ish.But now we have found this forum the memories come flooding back, not necessarily in complete focus.
So...where are you all...Oretava hellish atlantic crossings Xmas 1974, Standing by Sir Alex Glen Mar 1975, Then at last Cavendish Apr 1975-Dec 76, Faraday 1977 ,Lord kelvin Stand by building and maiden voyage.
As reiterated by so many, there can be no more happy family than Houlders, From John Houlder himself downwards, the happiest seadays in my 45 years career.

ALAN TYLER
21st December 2013, 12:05
Welcome to the site, as you say Houlders were a great company. Many happy memories, 17 years with the "Family" company. Happy Christmas & New Year to one and all Alan.

Erimus
21st December 2013, 12:16
Last night putting the decorations up I found a plastic box with an unused double pack of Houlders playing cards......either from the 'Mabel Warwick' or Joya McCance (later St.Margaret) launch or first trip......yes memories.

geoff

MARINEJOCKY
22nd December 2013, 12:56
Hi Ralph & Linda,

I think we always came last anyway so deducting 10 points would not make much difference.

A lot has happened since I last saw you both, going through my second divorce, 4 kids and running my companies from here in Florida. I was pretty active on this site but little time to do much of that these days.

I did talk to Charlie Wilcox a few years ago and I am sure if you look further into the site you will find others that you know.

All the best to you & Linda, ME

Hey!marconi
23rd December 2013, 15:51
Hi Ralph & Linda,

I think we always came last anyway so deducting 10 points would not make much difference.

A lot has happened since I last saw you both, going through my second divorce, 4 kids and running my companies from here in Florida. I was pretty active on this site but little time to do much of that these days.

I did talk to Charlie Wilcox a few years ago and I am sure if you look further into the site you will find others that you know.

All the best to you & Linda, ME

Hi Malcolm,
You seem to have been pretty busy...in all walks of your life, good on you for succeeding in USA, wish we could have done. Love it there.
We( Linda and I) have perused every inch of the forum here since 2005 and not seen anyone else we knew, except that little imp young (haha) Don Maclean Jnr R/O Orotava. 1974/75. And of course dear Charlie Wilcox. Were you there when he joined as 2nd mate on Cavendish from the Hardwicke, to familiarise with gas operation before going Master?
Have a few photos ( don't we all!!) and as soon as my savvy son teaches me how to , I will scan 'em all onto wherever you put this sort of thing. Where do I put them?
Originally we are looking for Ian Hardie ( as I mentioned earlier), he was mate, and a good stick.

I am ashamed to say I succumbed to goldlust and left Houlders to go to the fledgling AMPTC, arab company, despite the entreaties of that great worthy, Harry Donker to stay. Big Money...but got my comeuppance when they filled my position with an arab after 4 years. Later , whilst working for Sealink in 1992, Harry came to work for them, it was my great sorrow never to actually get a chat with him before being made redundant ONCE AGAIN (wretched tunnel!!).
Finished my days with Holland America Cruise Line living the life of Riley!!
Would love to hear from anyone from Cavendish 75/76, what great days they were, Faraday 1977 and Lord Kelvin( in Marina di Carrera) 1978, not so great but still miles better than any other company I sailed with.

Merry Christmas to one and all and I look forward to many postings, such tales to tell!!
Frank and Linda Ralph

Ern
31st December 2013, 17:05
Hi Mark. I don't mind having my spelling corrected, I always prided myself as seaman first and foremost. Tristan Taite (my wife corrected that one) was from the Shetland Islands, but stayed with his sister, who had a boarding house at St Ives. I served as a cadet in Prince Line, where everyone envied Houlders, I joined after my 2nd mates ticket, the difference was night and day, the loyalty to the company and ones ship was incredible, I credit John Houdler and Capt Parkin and his assistant Mr Bachelor. It was an very family orientated company. the senior meat boat Captain and Chiefs chose their own staff and took it very personally when they left, Capt Don Murray gave me the Houlders jack staff flag when I left, telling me that I would be back, I still have the flag, A lot of that company spirit died when Houlders absorbed a lot of the Furness people when their fleet contracted around 1973/4. A real irony to all this is that I am now a Mooring Master engaged in offshore lightering operation in the gulf of Mexico, I now rely on the very very thing that cause that awful collision, inter-ship suction, to put two large tankers together. Regards Jon
My Dad, G Cane, got the flag to. I've got it still, bit moth eaten now. Now I know a bit more of its history, thank you.
Ern(est.1959)

tommcivor
31st December 2013, 19:28
i was on a houlder bros tanker for her maiden voyage she was the abadesa and i was a j.o.s. it was my first trip"deep sea". and it must have been around 1962 and it was about a four month trip

marinero
1st January 2014, 12:19
i was on a houlder bros tanker for her maiden voyage she was the abadesa and i was a j.o.s. it was my first trip"deep sea". and it must have been around 1962 and it was about a four month trip
Hi, I also did the maiden voyage and the following one. I was Leo,one of the cabin boys. I stayed with Houlders until I took early retirement in 1999. Never regretted one moment of it.
Regards (Thumb)

geoff. foxton
1st January 2014, 20:17
I was sos on Abadesa 5/9/63 - 14/1/64, enjoyed.

chadders
2nd January 2014, 20:35
Hi Malcolm,
You seem to have been pretty busy...in all walks of your life, good on you for succeeding in USA, wish we could have done. Love it there.
We( Linda and I) have perused every inch of the forum here since 2005 and not seen anyone else we knew, except that little imp young (haha) Don Maclean Jnr R/O Orotava. 1974/75. And of course dear Charlie Wilcox. Were you there when he joined as 2nd mate on Cavendish from the Hardwicke, to familiarise with gas operation before going Master?
Have a few photos ( don't we all!!) and as soon as my savvy son teaches me how to , I will scan 'em all onto wherever you put this sort of thing. Where do I put them?
Originally we are looking for Ian Hardie ( as I mentioned earlier), he was mate, and a good stick.

I am ashamed to say I succumbed to goldlust and left Houlders to go to the fledgling AMPTC, arab company, despite the entreaties of that great worthy, Harry Donker to stay. Big Money...but got my comeuppance when they filled my position with an arab after 4 years. Later , whilst working for Sealink in 1992, Harry came to work for them, it was my great sorrow never to actually get a chat with him before being made redundant ONCE AGAIN (wretched tunnel!!).
Finished my days with Holland America Cruise Line living the life of Riley!!
Would love to hear from anyone from Cavendish 75/76, what great days they were, Faraday 1977 and Lord Kelvin( in Marina di Carrera) 1978, not so great but still miles better than any other company I sailed with.

Merry Christmas to one and all and I look forward to many postings, such tales to tell!!
Frank and Linda Ralph

I remember Charlie Wilcox joining the Cavendish as 2nd Mate he relieved me! Bit of laugh really as I sailed with him both as Apprentice and 3rd Mate, Great guy. If you were the Sparky you must be responsible for the telegram I received on my wedding day purporting to come from Carmen asking if it meant she had to sell the flat. It was in Spanish and I detected the hand of the aforementioned Capt. Wilcox. Happy days still married but don't know what happened to the flat or Carmen. Regards Derek Chadburn

Parana
23rd January 2014, 12:31
[QUOTE=wellsent;703016]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I came on to this site to see if anyone remembered my father-in-law Charles (Charlie) Wells who was, among other things, the Master of Thorpe Grange.
Ian McD remembers him..... does anyone else have any stories? His son Andrew and I are doing a lot of family research and would love some more meat to put on the bones! Fingers crossed! Thanks.[/ untilQUOTE]
He was Captain of the Holmbury when I joined her as First trip Apprentice on 28th Nov 1957. I did three trips and left her in Oct/Nov 1958. He was always a gentleman more than could be said for the Ch.Officer who was a pure b....... to us apprentices. His name was Marshall Glenn Stevens. George Black was the Ch. Steward And the Chief engineer was Poulson. Best wishes, Mike Howden

wellsent
23rd January 2014, 12:56
Hi Ian
I sailed in Houlders on the Rippingham Grange, great trip ( 1959-60) also one trip on Mable Warwick she was a bad sea ship, but we got there and back, cheers Bill atkins

Was my father in law Charles Wells an officer on the Rippingham Grange in your time? We have his wartime records but are trying to piece together his later career and that ship's name rings a bell with my husband. Thanks

wellsent
23rd January 2014, 13:00
[QUOTE=wellsent;703016]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ian McD remembers him..... does anyone else have any stories? His son Andrew and I are doing a lot of family research and would love some more meat to put on the bones! Fingers crossed! Thanks.[/ untilQUOTE]
He was Captain of the Holmbury when I joined her as First trip Apprentice on 28th Nov 1957. I did three trips and left her in Oct/Nov 1958. He was always a gentleman more than could be said for the Ch.Officer who was a pure b....... to us apprentices. His name was Marshall Glenn Stevens. George Black was the Ch. Steward And the Chief engineer was Poulson. Best wishes, Mike Howden

Thanks Parana! That is great info to have. We have now found his wartime Cert of Discharge and have been able to prove the anecdotal reports we had of his two sinkings (!) but are trying to piece together his later career.

wellsent
23rd January 2014, 13:07
[QUOTE=Parana;731376]

Thanks Parana! That is great info to have. We have now found his wartime Cert of Discharge and have been able to prove the anecdotal reports we had of his two sinkings (!) but are trying to piece together his later career.

P.S! I posted a photo of the Holmbury on Jan 16th on a Holmbury thread. Did you see it?

Parana
23rd January 2014, 23:49
[QUOTE=wellsent;731386]

P.S! I posted a photo of the Holmbury on Jan 16th on a Holmbury thread. Did you see it?
I had not seen that photo, many thanks, Mike

duquesa
24th January 2014, 08:18
I sailed with Charlie Wells on the Imperial Transport.

wellsent
26th January 2014, 10:56
I sailed with Charlie Wells on the Imperial Transport.

Hi Duquesa.
Can you remember, at least roughly, the dates you were on Imperial Transport with Charlie? We are gradually piecing his career together but still have some gaps!
Thanks.
Mary

Lucky John
27th January 2014, 14:55
Hi Parana,
I sailed as deck apprentice on the St. Merriel (Thorpe Grange, she had her name changed the trip before I joined,) from June 1966 to Jan 1967 with Charlie Wells as master. We did two trips to the River Plate in that time and I think it was on the second trip that he brought his wife with him.
As apprentices we saw very little of "The Old Man" as our contact with higher authority was with the chief officer, John Bailey, in this case. I do remember it as a very happy ship, and one I did'nt want to leave, but I had to do as I was told and go and learn about gas tankers.
Hope this snippet is some use to you.

John Ireland

duquesa
27th January 2014, 15:04
Hi Duquesa.
Can you remember, at least roughly, the dates you were on Imperial Transport with Charlie? We are gradually piecing his career together but still have some gaps!
Thanks.
Mary
I'll have a think and send you a pm later

wellsent
27th January 2014, 18:26
Hi Parana,
I sailed as deck apprentice on the St. Merriel (Thorpe Grange, she had her name changed the trip before I joined,) from June 1966 to Jan 1967 with Charlie Wells as master. We did two trips to the River Plate in that time and I think it was on the second trip that he brought his wife with him.
As apprentices we saw very little of "The Old Man" as our contact with higher authority was with the chief officer, John Bailey, in this case. I do remember it as a very happy ship, and one I did'nt want to leave, but I had to do as I was told and go and learn about gas tankers.
Hope this snippet is some use to you.

John Ireland

Thank you John, that is brilliant info to add to our notes (it was actually me, Wellsent, who asked the question and Parana who gave me some more info). Bit by bit we are building up our timeline of father-in-law's career!
Mary Wells

norsea
28th January 2014, 22:55
I thought the name C.G.Wells sounded familiar,so, trawling some of my Houlders memorabilia I unearthed a Watchkeeping Certificate for a voyage as 3rd.Mate in s.s.Holmbury with Captain Wells from 22/2/60 to 20/6/60.Angus Davidson

wellsent
29th January 2014, 20:16
I thought the name C.G.Wells sounded familiar,so, trawling some of my Houlders memorabilia I unearthed a Watchkeeping Certificate for a voyage as 3rd.Mate in s.s.Holmbury with Captain Wells from 22/2/60 to 20/6/60.Angus Davidson

Thank you so much for that info Angus ... slowly but surely we are filling in the gaps! We have been surprised and so pleased at the number of people who have recollections of Father. It was a good day when we found this forum!
Mary Wells

Gonzales
3rd February 2014, 15:51
A little more information for you I remember Charlie well both as friend and shipmate We sailed together for fifteen months sixty three years ago on the Dunster Grange he was Chief Officer I was a first trip third mate. After our last voyage the Dunster was sold to a Finnish company and renamed Vassa
From 1961 when I came ashore as Cargo Superintendent I would meet Charlie when his ship loaded in UK right up to his retirement.

Derek Smith.

handybilly7
19th February 2014, 20:39
Passing 53 Leadenhall Street--went inside and asked front desk if any "Furness Withy or Houlder offices?" "Yes sir--long time ago" Ancient history.
Went on down Minories and see London School of Navigation is "under demolition"! (Whaaa)