Do you know where these ships were?

Robert Wheeler
12th October 2009, 13:50
I'd like to have a better idea of where I was all those years ago!

Can anyone say where the following ships were between the given dates?
Joining/leaving is obviously in my old discharge books (plural because of the Saudi immigration stamps filling up discharge book space!) but all the in between stuff is a bit of a blur.

Clan Maclean 19/4/74 - 29/7/75
Clan Macintosh 16/10/75 - 9/7/76
King Richard 3/7/77 - 22/11/77
Everett F Wells 21/2/78 - 18/6/78
Everett F Wells 2/11/78 - 24/3/79
Everett F Wells 18/7/79 - 8/12/79
Clan Macgillivray 28/2/80 - 4/7/80
Sunnyway 2/10/80 - 24/12/80
King Charles 2/3/81 - 4/7/81
King Alfred 4/12/81 - 14/3/82
Mistral Universal 25/6/82 - 22/9/82
Kawkab 1 10/2/83 - 24/6/83
Al Moshtaree 2/12/85 - 22/5/86
Al Zahrah 15/10/86 - 21/5/87
Al Zohal 7/9/87 - 1/12/87

If anybody wants, I have dated details of:
Scirocco Universal 15/12/83 - 1/9/84
Al Zohal 13/11/84 - 6/9/85

Hopefully someone out may be able to help.

Nova Scotian
12th October 2009, 14:36
Hi Robert:

You can get an accurate record of vessel movements from Voyage Record Cards. Copies can be obtained from Lloyds for a modest fee. The Lloyds website will give you all the information.

Cheers.

Robert Wheeler
9th November 2009, 16:18
Hi Nova Scotian,
Thanks for your reply. I've tried your route but unfortunately their Voyage Record Cards only show until 1975.
They were helpful in advising that it's possible to visit and trawl through all the Lloyds Lists to find each entry but that's a bit of a serious outing for me.
I think I'll put together what I can for now with the scraps of info I have and perhaps some extra places/dates may appear through this thread over a period of time.

Regards
Robert

Banni
9th November 2009, 19:35
Robert

The Macintosh was East Africa - the usual Aden, Mombasa, Dar Es Salaam and I think maybe Zanzibar and Tanga??

First trip memory was the 2nd engineer Phil Borley introducing me to the Sunshine club. you think my boss would know better!!

Interested to hear if you have any other ports in mind.

OK
BB

timo
9th November 2009, 20:21
I joined the King Alfred in Lisbon, Portugal end of November 1981, sailed for New Orleans/Baton Rouge on Christmas eve, ( I think,or the day before),spent about ten days loading grain, sailed for Savonna and La Spezia (Genoa maybe as well) then on to Malta for drydock, paid off there end of March 1982, I remember it well as it was my first trip.

andysk
11th November 2009, 12:33
Hi Nova Scotian,
Thanks for your reply. I've tried your route but unfortunately their Voyage Record Cards only show until 1975.
They were helpful in advising that it's possible to visit and trawl through all the Lloyds Lists to find each entry but that's a bit of a serious outing for me.
I think I'll put together what I can for now with the scraps of info I have and perhaps some extra places/dates may appear through this thread over a period of time.

Regards
Robert

Hi Robert ...

I don't know where you live, but the Guildhall Library in London has a full run (AFAIK) of Lloyds List, and are most helpful. About a year ago I looked up in there for info on the RdM in 1973, they were most helpful, and you don't have to book anything either. From request to delivery of document was about 5 mins, and it was latish on a Saturday afternoon as well.

If you are not around London, then I suspect other big maritime city libraries may have them, failing that perhaps University or College libraries perhaps ?

Good hunting ...

Cheers

Andy

Robert Wheeler
13th November 2009, 18:22
Thanks Timo
Your info has pieced it together for me now.
Left Lisbon 24/12/81
Off Mississippi 11th Jan and loaded Paulina (between Baton Rouge and New Orleans) and New Orleans.
Discharged Naples, Savona and La Spezia. (En route from New Orleans disport changed from Naples to Genoa, then some confusion as we were sent to Cagliari. Arriving at Cagliari new telex sending us to Naples)
Drydocked Malta.

Robert Wheeler
13th November 2009, 18:30
Thanks Brian
I did two trips on the Clan Macintosh and was getting parts of the two muddled.
So, on the East African voyage the 1st discharge port was Port Sudan followed by, as you say, Aden, Mombasa, Dar es Salaam and Mombasa. I've found some reference to Zanzibar and Tanga so will presume they're tucked in there as well seeing as you've mentioned them.

Good, that's that one sorted and makes sense the Indian trip after that as well.
Cheers
Robert

Robert Wheeler
13th November 2009, 18:37
Hi Andy
I'm in the wilds of Norfolk which isn't too far, just a matter of time really.
Your RdM info was pre '75 so was the information on their voyage record cards?
When I phoned a few days ago they said it would be a matter of going through all the relevant Lloyds Lists which they provide.
Maybe one day in the future, but I've dug up some stuff in the loft which is helping put the jigsaw together especially with the replies in the thread ref Macintosh and Alfred.
Rgds
Robert

timo
13th November 2009, 20:05
Yup, now you mention Naples Robert I can remember going there, I dont remember anything about Cagliari, but I was only a first trip deck boy so I'd have been last to find out, were you onboard that trip?

John Gurton
13th November 2009, 20:10
The World Ship Society Library at Chatham has a huge collection of Lloyds Indexes which I am pretty sure would cover all those vessels. Published weekly it would not take too long to track them all. They would be available for you to research and if not a member a donation would no doubt do the trick.

andysk
14th November 2009, 14:30
..... Your RdM info was pre '75 so was the information on their voyage record cards? ...

Hi Robert ...

All I needed was the Lloyds List issues for about a month around the date I thought RdM was in Malaga - I'd got a pic of a ship there which I was trying to ID, and had a couple of names to go on from here, so I didn't need the VRC's

As for the WSS library in Chatham, see : http://www.worldshipsociety.org/40901/index.html

You will find Alan Watt's contact details there he will be able to tell you when there is somebody there if you want to visit.

Cheers

Andy