Barry Picture.

David Menzies
12th October 2009, 15:25
I have posted a view of a Elders vessel taken at Barry many years ago. It was posted on the Ships Identification site & narrowed down to 6 vessels.
If this picture rings any bells please let me know.
Dave Menzies.

David Menzies
12th October 2009, 15:28
I have posted this E&F picture on the " Ships Identification forum" & that has narrowed it down to 6 vessels of1960-62 vintage.
Maybe an old E&F chap can narrow it down further.
Cheers.
Dave Menzies.

K urgess
12th October 2009, 15:33
Dave,
I've added your picture to your post.
Cheers
Kris

John Rogers
12th October 2009, 15:35
Its not one of their old boats that I sailed on,A ,B, and Cs,that should eliminated a few from the list.

John.

Billieboy
12th October 2009, 16:11
It's berthed in No 1 dock , at the C.H. Bailey repair jetty, the road, going up the hill above the aft mast and derrick, is College road. The long reddish building to the right at the top of the hill is the teachers training college, (all girls when I was doing my time on the docks). The position of the ship, is where my first ship, "Trelissick", was berthed when I joined it for my first trip to sea in September 1962.

A.J.McMahon
12th October 2009, 18:45
Hi David ! Less of the "OLD" I'm trying to fight it
David, I am sure that you are already aware, that this is one of the six "T" class of Surrey Shipping CO. a.k.a. Elders & Fyffes. Built in Germany. Not bad, but I thought not as good as the Scot's built ships. I guess you get what you specify and are prepared to pay.The man who would have known which it was
would have been John Gay,ex Weir's apprentice,ex Brocks, ex 2nd & chief eng with Fyffes and at this time Marine Superintendent with Guest at Barry, unfortunately he went home just a couple of years ago. However there is still a chance that another ex Fyffes 2nd eng (marshynzs) may recall, for he also was working with Guest at Barry as part of the shore side/relief team. I believe the time frame of that shot is 1965-72 judging by the state of her paintwork she has either had a pounding coming across the pond, or she's about to be divorced from Fyffes, or maybe Fyffes are not the company that I once knew. I think all of us senior (ageing) could say The Best Seagoing Days are Certainly Gone!!!