Spark's with Houlders

Tommo
13th October 2009, 10:09
Hi All , I Joined Houlders 1974 , first Trip Cerinthus from Ellesmere port , anyone know of the whereabouts of Tony Gilbert or Roddie Mcleoud ???
But Hi to all Houlders
Ian Thomas

saltyswamp
15th October 2009, 23:26
Hi Ian
Of Rose and Crown fame?

Tommo
16th October 2009, 08:55
One and the same .

non descript
16th October 2009, 08:59
An excellent Avatar Tommo, well done Sir (Applause)

Tommo
16th October 2009, 11:01
Many Thanks Tonga !

merrymagpie
16th October 2009, 21:00
Wecome aboard Ian, still playing the spoons?

Mike Bartle

Gulpers
16th October 2009, 21:02
Ian,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I see you have been a member for some time and I hope you are thoroughly enjoying the SN experience.
Now that you've taken the plunge, keep posting. (Thumb)

Tommo
17th October 2009, 08:24
Hi to you Mike & Gulpers thanks for the welcome , have greatly enjoyed reading all the posts and the photo galleries are excellent , I find it fascinating that even on some of the threads you think you wouldnt know anyone that you find a common link to someone you do remember having sailed with . The spoons ? I was considering going on X factor ...haha ..what yah reckon my chances are ? (Jester) ( dont answer that one please) .

veste
17th October 2009, 10:43
Ian,
A warm welcome to ships nostalgia.
Regards Seth.

vasco
17th October 2009, 12:40
Hello again Ian,

Now aren't you glad you managed to get those typing fingers working on these new fangled keyboards! Look at all these friends of yours here.
Specially like Mikes remark about the spoons, instant flashbacks there.

As for Roddie, no idea where he is, but if he is the same one I am thinking of, there must be a bar of gold-pressed latinum in the Hall of Standard Measurements. After all, wasn't everything measured in Roddies on the Cerinthus?

John

K urgess
17th October 2009, 12:45
A belated welcome to the select club of Sparkies of the "World's Favourite Tanker".
With links forged in adversity (wherever that is).
Cheers
Kris
(May to November 1973)

Tommo
17th October 2009, 12:55
Hi Kris thanks for the welcome aboard .
I think it was Derek Briggs ( yah awl right ducks) that started out the BSR British Standard Roddie.

Tommo
17th October 2009, 13:01
I remember one afternoon sat in the shack and the DF loop wheel went whang whang back and forth , on investigation it could only be attributed to one of the Deck Cadets who was bronzying up on the moneky island , had taken a running jump and swung round on it , the name Shaw springs to mind , but not certain .

Tommo
17th October 2009, 13:05
Kris I remember the Cerinthus was GSSJ , and I think the Kelvin GXAW , and the Houlders GTZH ? anyone recall the Other Call Signs ?

K urgess
17th October 2009, 13:46
Definitely GSSJ for Cerinthus but she was the only Houlders/Hadley's I sailed on so don't know any others I'm afraid. (Sad)

non descript
17th October 2009, 18:05
Kris I remember the Cerinthus was GSSJ , and I think the Kelvin GXAW , and the Houlders GTZH ? anyone recall the Other Call Signs ?

For reasons that escape me, I can remember that Houlders was GZTT

non descript
17th October 2009, 18:08
I see that GTZH belongs to Kelvin Hughes..

vasco
17th October 2009, 20:56
Other call signs :-

GOVT - Cumbria
6ZXI - Stolt Span
6ZDP - Stolt Spur
GUDF - Joule
GHTH - Ocean Transport
GZHL - Hornby Grange (1979)
GZHK - Elstree Grange (1979)
GSDA - Cymbeline
VRDZ - CYS Mariner

all these depending on my translation of my handwriting!

or perhaps this should be in a new thread?

Tommo
17th October 2009, 23:06
Excellent , yes of course Tonga GZTT , thanks for that, and a great list from Vasco also.

chadders
23rd October 2009, 10:02

The St. Margaret was GHJM she was previously the Joya McCance hence I remember God Help Joya McCance

Cheers

Chadders