Independence/Oceanic - Toxic US ship with dubious distinction sneaks into Alang

shamrock
14th October 2009, 10:27
More details...

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_toxic-us-ship-with-dubious-distinction-sneaks-into-alang_1298731

shamrock
14th October 2009, 10:35
They have done it again....unbelievable (Cloud)

Seems the name has been changed without any paperwork or IMO number being issued, just as what happened with Norway/Blue Lady.

I spose they thought that if she was laid up off Dubai long enough no-one would notice that she was on the move and off to be beached like Norway/Blue Lady...and if it was noticed, the ship would be beached anyway so the fuss made would be pointless.

NCL/Genting really are pushing their luck.....it really is only a matter of time before Big U goes the same way.

S. Toth
20th February 2010, 00:13
May I just update this thread with it is reported that she has suffered "this time for real" damage, and is needed to be scrapped however she has beached herself on a sandbank and has filled with mud through cracks, holes that were caused by 10 years of absolute neglect "sitting on mud uneven, goverment tug of war"

sparkie2182
20th February 2010, 00:20
A sickening end for one of the most elegant ships to have ever sailed the seas.

S. Toth
20th February 2010, 00:22
Indeed it should be a crime to destroy something so beautiful, a marvel of maritime history.

S. Toth
20th February 2010, 00:23
but a least the greed of the breakers have not claimed her, however the fate that the american star had has.

S. Toth
20th February 2010, 01:35
Yes, she has developed structural cracks, from the years of HEAVY abuse, and neglect, and at this point is believer to have closer to 6,000-7,000 tons of mud inside, 6-7000 tons is the number at which she will be unmovable from the sand bank, she is now the next American Star, another beautiful liner that suffered a horrible fate, especially since she was on her way to become a hotel.

Best Regards

a detailed story of the ships last voyage on my new channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FrsCC0l0xY

16kjv11
7th May 2010, 20:50
Can anyone post a picture of this ship?

GCarey
28th February 2013, 15:55
Doesn't anyone find it strange that there are no pictures of INDY being broken up? I would have thought a ship of this size being dismantled in open water would get a few pictures or at least an update or two. I have asked this several times on MM but to no avail.

ben27
1st March 2013, 01:41
good day s.toth.re; your video the independance./oceanic. 20.feb-2010.10;35.it is quite an amazing history,a truly beautiful ship.like g carey question. today 00.55 are there any pictures showing her being scrapped.it would be great way to end the very interesting.and historical.thread.have a good one.ben27

makko
1st March 2013, 02:06
Hey Ben,
Another interesting post - I am enjoying your participation. Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention. Take care shipmate and keep posting!
Rgds.
Dave

GCarey
1st March 2013, 19:17
good day s.toth.re; your video the independance./oceanic. 20.feb-2010.10;35.it is quite an amazing history,a truly beautiful ship.like g carey question. today 00.55 are there any pictures showing her being scrapped.it would be great way to end the very interesting.and historical.thread.have a good one.ben27

There is nothing on the WWW after 2010. I find this very strange. Since her back was broken on the bar, they would have had to break her there. I though someone would have some kind of update. Only possibility would be the Indian Govt knows that it would be done in a haphazard way and does not want the attention drawn to them. I can't think of any other reason. Too bad.

Jeff Taylor
1st March 2013, 20:37
This talk about the toxic radioactivity on Indie is such a joke. All she had were trace amounts in the smoke/fire detectors and they make it out to be such a big deal. She was no more toxic than any other 1950's ship.