Proposal for the Denholm's guys

Gulpers
2nd October 2005, 09:04
Guys,

As you are aware from reading the J & J Denholm - another suggested forum thread, I started a list of ships which I thought I remembered from my time in J & J's. That post has achieved what I aimed to do by generating some healthy discussion about our times with Denholms.

We are adding to the list of ships on an almost daily basis and it will soon become a full time job updating the ships. Since we now have the J & J Denholm Forum, shouldn't we just add a thread into the forum for each of the ships we remember? That way, everyone has ownership of the list, and where vessels changed names several times during their time in the company, we could have a thread for each of the names.

What do you think? (Thumb)

holroyd
14th July 2006, 10:08
one vessel missing INVEREWE
RGDS ROD HOLROYD

terval
30th November 2006, 15:12
Greetings. I stood by the Inverewe in South Sheilds during DD and I think she had the deck crane removed sometime after that. Jim Nichol was Master. He was also Master on the BIBI when John Houghton did a makee learnee trip with us. Jim gave him so many Margarhitas poor John didn't know which way was aft!!!!!!! At about that time Jim's baby was a victim of Cot death. The agents couldn't get Jim away from Tampico until the following day. What a dreadful time!!!!!
regards.
Terry.
R556919

Stephen J. Card
30th November 2006, 19:53
Greetings.. He was also Master on the BIBI when John Houghton did a makee learnee trip with us.
regards.
Terry.
R556919

John Houghton... AKA 'Johnny Rotten' !!!!! Did a couple of years as 2nd Mate and Mate with him in LOCH LOMOND.

Houghton's ship handling skills were not to be faulted. he told me that he had been on one of the converted Forrest boats.... ADVARA I think.... had taken the ship up the Gulf and had to berth and unberth every day for several weeks without pilot and tugs. Way to learn.

Last I heard he was working as Editor of Marine News for the Met Office. I wonder if he ever got his barograph? I doubt it after what I wrote in the fair copy of the met log. I was keeper of the log at that time and Houghton did a few watches for the mate who was hold cleaning. Anyhow, his missed the observations on three occassions. I was rather annoyed because we had a full set of obs in the book. I wrote in the usual 'OOW engaged in navigation" then added in the comments column.... "Captain on watch. Not engaged in Navigation. Not interested in Meteorology!"

Stephen

John Cassels
1st December 2006, 09:02
one vessel missing INVEREWE
RGDS ROD HOLROYD

I don't believe it , another name from the past (1963).

Hi Rod. Long time so see ( or rather hear). How are you.
Only a couple of months ago , sent some photos of us all on the Crinan
to Roddy MacSween and John Jackson. Both still going strong>

JC

xdenholm
4th December 2006, 14:27
jc interested to hear you were with denholms in 2000, can you ,or is it possible to tell me anything about them at that time ,it was mike pride that became M.D. of denholm ship management which combined with anglo-eastern ship management and is known as that to this day up in the old denholm office x from pasport office, i was talking with mike pride (1off meeting)just 2weeks ago and he tells me that he can count the number of british officers left in the company in two hands i.e. 8 people ,which i found really sad considering what denholm had at the time i was there back in 70,s and 80.s. but nothing remains the same ,everything moves on including us.only memiories left.happy ones

Stephen J. Card
4th December 2006, 19:24
i was talking with mike pride (1off meeting)just 2weeks ago and he tells me that he can count the number of british officers left in the company in two hands i.e. 8 people ,which i found really sad considering what denholm had at the time i was there back in 70,s and 80.s. but nothing remains the same ,everything moves on including us.only memiories left.happy ones

I sailed with Mike Pride when he was making his first trip to sea in EUROLINER back in '72. I was nav cadet at the time.

One afternoon we were sitting in the cabin having a few ales... as cadets do. Mike had out his virgin blue uniform reefer jacket. Not content with the small gorget patches on the collar we fashioned a real good stripe around the cuff, complete with diamond.... all made out of yellow leckky's tape. One stripe not enough, the insignia was then transformed into two stripes and then finally into three. At this point Roddy Mckenzie (Mate) walked into the cabin and there is Mike standing there with mate's braid on his jacket. Roddy thought we were taking the p*ss and was not impressed at all!

Mike is a good lad. We later sailed together for a couple of years in the LOCH MAREE as Mate and 2/E.

Stephen

John Cassels
5th December 2006, 08:31
jc interested to hear you were with denholms in 2000

Never said I was with Denholms in 2000.

JC

xdenholm
5th December 2006, 08:44
stephen funny you should say that, i sailed with mike pride on the loch maree too when he was 2eng, i was eng cadet at the time it must have been 77/78 the ships hull had just been cracked at the engineroom in bad weather in the english channel, it was sorted out in hamburg , i found mike a good guy and friend and i was never surprised to hear he became M.D.though some other people i heard did not like him for one reason or another, mike,s a little grey haired now with most of his teeth missing but still the same down to bussiness and full of determination that i knew of him then and he runs a good operation for aesm as fleet director p.s what did you think of the harbour bar...lol.wa sit golfito or limon i,m not sure now[=P]

NEIL CURRIE
5th December 2006, 11:09
Hi,
Myself and several Barra men joined the Inverewe during the fitting of this crane, what a pain in the but it was,the top section used slide during a reasonable swell needing extra lashing .
apart from that a good bunch of lads.

Stephen J. Card
5th December 2006, 13:24
stephen funny you should say that, i sailed with mike pride on the loch maree too when he was 2eng, i was eng cadet at the time it must have been 77/78 the ships hull had just been cracked at the engineroom in bad weather in the english channel, it was sorted out in hamburg , i found mike a good guy and friend and i was never surprised to hear he became M.D.though some other people i heard did not like him for one reason or another, mike,s a little grey haired now with most of his teeth missing but still the same down to bussiness and full of determination that i knew of him then and he runs a good operation for aesm as fleet director p.s what did you think of the harbour bar...lol.wa sit golfito or limon i,m not sure now[=P]

Xdenholm,

Thanks yours. I guess I missed you by a year. I was in the LOMOND from '75 to early '79 less a six month stint with Shaw Savill and a few months at GCNS sitting for Mate. I first went to the MAREE in June 1979. I did three months there then transferred directly to the WELLPARK for another four months. Not a happy camper but I needed the seatime. After that I went back to the MAREE and stayed with her until she was handed over to Salen at Sharjah in July 81

My last trip in the MAREE was rather tarnished by having to major bunker spills within a two month period. First was a bunker transfer in the middle of the night that the 4/E forgot about. This resulted in about ten tons of H.O. on deck ... from fore to aft and down both sides! The mess was cleaned up and then a leaking heating coil caused No. 4 DB to overflow. At night, it ran for a few hours out of the airpipe on top of the masthouse before the smell alerted the 2/M on watch. Another big cleaning job.

Just in case you had not heard, LOCH MAREE went for scrap...sometime in the last year I think. I wonder what sort of condition they were in at the end.

Stephen

xdenholm
5th December 2006, 14:58
hi stephen,funny we to had a bunker spill up at the focsle to,loaded bunkers in rotterdam and when we hit the carabean the temperature increase caused the bunkers to expand and come out the vent pipe ,it was a mess ,yes the maree scrapped july2006 the lomond was 2000 a good run i think.my mate wee dougie was on the lomond then77/78 as eng cadet .same great adventures as myself i was on maree 6 1/2months and wanted more. but college was looming.some ports of call to eh (Thumb) captain was gold tooth man harvey he was ok liked the partys onboard.c/e bisset and deacon with wee alec as reefer and another guy think it was mccaskill or something from one of the islands, both good guys.i didnt know mike pride was on the GTV,S thanks for that cos i started on the eurofreighter myself need to ask mike about that one next time we meet.

Stephen J. Card
5th December 2006, 19:58
hi stephen,funny we to had a bunker spill up at the focsle to,loaded bunkers in rotterdam and when we hit the carabean the temperature increase caused the bunkers to expand and come out the vent pipe ,it was a mess ,yes the maree scrapped july2006 the lomond was 2000 a good run i think.my mate wee dougie was on the lomond then77/78 as eng cadet .same great adventures as myself i was on maree 6 1/2months and wanted more. but college was looming.some ports of call to eh (Thumb) captain was gold tooth man harvey he was ok liked the partys onboard.c/e bisset and deacon with wee alec as reefer and another guy think it was mccaskill or something from one of the islands, both good guys.i didnt know mike pride was on the GTV,S thanks for that cos i started on the eurofreighter myself need to ask mike about that one next time we meet.

The master on MAREE back then was C.W. (Bill) Harvey. He is still at sea... with some Welsh outfit. Yes, David Bisset, Joh Deacon. etc etc... all great guys to sail with.

You must ask Mike about the time he was kicked out of the E/R Control Room on EUROLINER. We were sailing from.... Southampton... all hands at stations for and aft, but there wwas a delay and after half an house we were all told to stand down. I came aft, went up to the canin and Mike was sitting there in his boiler suit. Apparently of the turbines had been flashed up when someone remembered that jack or something had been left under it. The engine was shut down and the jack removed but then the engine wouldn't fire again. In all the comotion in the Control Room the Chief, Bobby Greenow, lost his temper and told Mike to get the bloody hell out of the place. Poor first tripper always gets the blame!

What sort of work are you doing now?

Also... does anyone remember Bob Landsman? Engineer... cadet in the early 70's and last I heard was 2/E.

Stephen

xdenholm
6th December 2006, 08:47
stephen, was there not something about golfito that the captain use to get fined for hitting the jetty everytime she came in but it never did hit it ,just a back hander for some dock official, also bob todd was 2eng to at that time hes still living though hes 72ish now he was a good guy to .yes thanks for that good info on mike, he reminds me of myself but thats another story.guyaquail in equador was another one off those ports you had to lock everything up i, remember welding up the deck houses with mike except the focsle locker and they came on in the middle of the nite and stole ropes and paint ,the bananas use to come in taxis, lorries ,carts anything they could use including on their heads a long time to fill a ship but they were deterimed workers, we even picked up a stowaway from martinique, he turned out a better worker than some of the crew we had .though they were good guys also ,we were on route to france ,le havre anyway and turned him in.quite amazing how the dockies use to p--ss on the bananas rather than use the toilet i always wash bananas when i buy them...lol

John Cassels
6th December 2006, 08:58
xdenholm ;
Hope Kevin and his mates don't notice you comment that the stowaway was a
better worker than the crew you had on board. Hope you live a long distance
away from Barra.

Stephen J. Card
6th December 2006, 19:52
stephen, was there not something about golfito that the captain use to get fined for hitting the jetty everytime she came in but it never did hit it ,just a back hander for some dock official, also bob todd was 2eng to at that time hes still living though hes 72ish now he was a good guy to .yes thanks for that good info on mike, he reminds me of myself but thats another story.guyaquail in equador was another one off those ports you had to lock everything up i, remember welding up the deck houses with mike except the focsle locker and they came on in the middle of the nite and stole ropes and paint ,the bananas use to come in taxis, lorries ,carts anything they could use including on their heads a long time to fill a ship but they were deterimed workers, we even picked up a stowaway from martinique, he turned out a better worker than some of the crew we had .though they were good guys also ,we were on route to france ,le havre anyway and turned him in.quite amazing how the dockies use to p--ss on the bananas rather than use the toilet i always wash bananas when i buy them...lol

I just had a card from Bobby Todd tow days ago. He was 2/E on the LOMOND's maiden voyage. C/E George Christodolu... AKA Mr C. Odoulu!!!!

I last saw Bobby Todd in 2001. I was in Greencock on board the NORWAY and we all went up to Glasgow for a bit of a reunion at the old pub 'The Gordon'... in the alleyway off West Nile Street near the NCP. Followed by a very liquid lunch at L'Ariosto. My favourite restuarant in Glasgow.

I wonder if anyone remembers LOCH LOMOND's first banana cargo? Loaded at Davao in the Phillippines for Khorramshahr. Passage time was two weeks... and then we were kept at anchor for six weeks! I actually paid off in the Shat al Arab outer anchorage on Christmas day... '75. Eventually when the ship berthed the receivers wanted to reject the whole cargo as being 'unfit'. In fact about 10% had started to ripen. They were forced to take the cargo but rejected something like 30%... about 70,000 boxes. I saw the photos. it was dumped everywhere... in the holds and on deck. The boxes piled as high as the mast houses. A riding crew were engaged to help dump it overboard on passage down the gulf to Dubai.

Stephen

Stephen J. Card
6th December 2006, 19:56
stephen, was there not something about golfito that the captain use to get fined for hitting the jetty everytime she came in but it never did hit it ,just a back hander for some dock official,

I think this was from the occassion when Bill Harvey was unberthing the LOMOND in Golfito. He let go everything except the forward spring. Went deas slow ahead to bring the stern off bit when the weight came onto the spring and the stem touched the ketty it just crumbled. Oops! He has to pay a repair bill... something like $2,000.

First time he took the ship there they had no charts. He anchored offshore, lowered the lifeboat with the 2/O... went in and took a look around.... made a few soundings and then tooook the ship in.

Stephen

xdenholm
7th December 2006, 09:12
stephen, think your right about that incident with harvey and the jetty,was out with an old mate last nite ,now a gcns lecturer, he was on lomond and in the engine room when she went full astern and hit the bank, apparently, the engine would not start, and the enginerers had to kick the fuel rack on ,in the meantime the 2/eng went to the local start at the engine to start it. my mate went into the control room and seen the telegraph back to stop but now one there! he was only a cadet to . what a mess he said the steering gear was ,in the end had to be taken out as it was bent.(==D) on maree we use to leave butter out and a few other things for some port people as a sweetner,strange people. in fact the lloyds man came down to check the boiler fittings , the c/eng bissett gave him a nice white boiler suit and a new bright yellow safety tourch and he went away happy , he never even looked at the boiler after all the hard work stripping it for inspection. bob todd i remember him at new year the hold bilges would not pump out and me and him (mainly me)were going to have to strip all the v/v chests until i suggested to him to take a single brass plug out of the side of each to see which was the one that wound not close properly[=P] . i still remember his face light up when i found it and he pulled a small piece of wood shaven out.and we could get on with the new year.

Stephen J. Card
7th December 2006, 11:50
stephen, think your right about that incident with harvey and the jetty,was out with an old mate last nite ,now a gcns lecturer, he was on lomond and in the engine room when she went full astern and hit the bank, apparently, the engine would not start, and the enginerers had to kick the fuel rack on ,in the meantime the 2/eng went to the local start at the engine to start it. my mate went into the control room and seen the telegraph back to stop but now one there! he was only a cadet to . what a mess he said the steering gear was ,in the end had to be taken out as it was bent.(==D) .

That is EXACTLY what happened... in the Engine Room. The whole problem is that when the 2/E left the control room and headed down to the local starting platform... he went there with just two words on his mind... FULL ASTERN! Unfortunately there being no telegraph at the starting position... he didn't know the instant she started astern the next movement was for STOP. He ran the engine up to full astern and kept going unti; she hit the bank.

On the deck side it went like this..... We were coming up to the locks and had a tug made fast forward. I was on the Foc's'le. We were making just a couple of knots and on the bridge the pilot wanted to stop the ship so he ordered DEAD SLOW ASTERN. The engine kicked but failed start. No problem... just wait for the E/R to give it another go. (We were on ER control... can't remember why.) When the engin failed to start the pilot, instead of waiting, ordered SLOW astern. Another false start.... pilot orders HALF ASTERN. Another false start so he order FULL ASTERN. None of these orders were necessary as the vessel was about stopped at this time.

From foward I had no idea what was going on up on the bridge until I see a blech of black smoke coming out of the funnel and the ship starts to move astern.... quickly. At that exact moment our radio communications packed up. Things are getting out of hand now... and we are beginning to tow our tug backwards. The Third Mate ran out to the bridge wing and waved his hands so I shouted at Chippy and the bosun... who were fortunately standing next to the windlass to let go both anchors. The two hooks went down and the cable was screaming out. Then with a loud bang... the roller fairlead that the tugs wire that was passing round sheared off. the Roller itself slamed into on of the bulwark stiffners and then shot off down the main deck. The tugs wire had parted when the fairlead failed. The ship was moving very radidly astern and so we held onto the the cable... both of them stretched out in front of the ship. So... she finally wallops the bank. The engine stops. On the bridge thehy were frantically signalling the engine room to STOP and FULL AHEAD so now the engine starts again and she starts to charge ahead... but the anchors are still down. Finally the ship stops, the pilot has soiled his briefs... and everyone is kind of thankful to be alive!

Tugs arrived and made fast Fore and Aft and took us into the lock. The pilot wouldn't give a single engine order! Once alongside the divers went down to inspect the damage. At the instant of grounding the rudder was hard over so it was indeed bent like a banana.

It was quite obvious that we would have to go into drydock but we were ready to load cargo.... only about 1,000 tons... potatoes. We already had a small bit of cargo on board from Hamburg plus some containers on deck. At this time we were in a French Line (CGM) charter to the West Indies.

Next disaster... we start taking bunkers and Sod's Law.... the 2/E has a spill of H.O. Not much, perhaps a few tons on deck..... under the deck stowed containers. Within an hour the damn stuff was hard on the deck... being wwinter time and damn cold.

That night the Super arrived from Glasgow. With all the crap going on... the damage to the rudder, the spill on deck etc etc... and I got a bollocking for not cleaning up the oil on deck!

A few days later we shifted into drydock. The only way to get the rudder off was to cut the stock. So... rudder had to be cut apart, straightened and then rebuilt.... new stock to be manufactured and fitted etc etc.

Now our cargo started to cause us problems. It being colder on deck that what we wanted in the hold for the potatoes so we were taken out of dock, back to the cargo wharf and all the cargo discharged. From there we went back into the drydock.... sat up on the blocks for about a month... and the whole ship froze... ice everywhere.

I decided to make an attempt to clean holds. We couldn't open up but tried to wash down with everything sealed. Myself, the cadets and the GPs spent about two weeks on this. All we succeeded in doing was getting sick from be wet and cold.

I asked the super if we could get shore side chippies on board to carry out repairs to the gratings. There were about fifty or so that needed replacement or other attention. He agreed but told me to make damn certain that they repaired fifty and no more. I went round with the foreman, marked the ones to be repaired and over a week or so kept an eye on what he was doing. Finally we were just about finished... just two decks in No4 and three in No5 to do. Perhaps twenty boards altogether. Instead of taking the guy down and showing him, I told him to just continue as he had been doing. A couple days later I asked him for the total and he says in heavy Dutch, "One hundred and twenty seven!" And this little slipup earned me my second bollocking from the Super!!!!!!!

Anyhow, we finally sailed.... six weeks later. Headed down to le Havre to load general for the Fort de France and Basterre. Thankfully my relief, George Morrison, had come aboard before leaving Antwerp so I was able to pay off in le Havre.

Stephen

xdenholm
7th December 2006, 12:35
stephen cheers , thats the way he told me , i told him your name he seems to think you may have been c/mate and says he thinks you stayed in bahamas, think his mind might be going unless you were 2/mate at the time.ps just as well lomond is scrapped or someone might open up a new court enquiry with this evidence...lol(Jester) i think you joined maree june 79 as i paid off with mike pride, and bob todd joined ,cant remember if it was dover or what need to lok at my discharge book.

Stephen J. Card
9th December 2006, 17:00
stephen cheers , thats the way he told me , i told him your name he seems to think you may have been c/mate and says he thinks you stayed in bahamas, think his mind might be going unless you were 2/mate at the time.ps just as well lomond is scrapped or someone might open up a new court enquiry with this evidence...lol(Jester) i think you joined maree june 79 as i paid off with mike pride, and bob todd joined ,cant remember if it was dover or what need to lok at my discharge book.

Ah the dates are becomming clearer. Yes... I joined on 29th June 1979 in Hamburg. The incident with Mike and I and the fence in Hamburg was that night. Because Bobby Todd was joining Mike had the night off. I had just joined to relieve Denzyl Pereira... and there was an extra mate, Bill Donovan on board, there was no reason why I couldn't nip ashore with Mike, Jane and Bill's wife. Lovely Irish girl.

On the LOMOND's grounding... I was C/O at the time. First trip . Just passed my 25th birthday. Bold as brass! Mike Pride was also promoted 2/E at 25 and we both made Cheg and Master at 29!

Not Bahamas.... Bermuda! I still spend part of the year there but as my wife is an Aussie we are down here a lot of the time. While I was at sea I think I spent more time in Glasgow than anywhere else ... about 2 1/2 years altogether doing ONC, and then Second Mate, Mate and Master at Glasgow College. Great place.... the college and the City!

I remember doing Phase One ONC, myself and another Denholm cadet, Iam Craig, went up to the office to see Bill Gibb to 'claim expenses'... for some books or other... something like ten quid each. We came out of the office and went straight up the hill to the Bernie Inn and got stuck into a couple of large steaks... and a bottle of something nasty like Blue Nun. We were just starting when Bill and a few of the others from training Department walked in! Oops!

Stephen

xdenholm
10th December 2006, 08:53
stephen,bill gibb was my training officer at the time to.i believe he founded clyde marine along with david livingston from denholms, gibbbs now retired.yes you sound like me, dont forget to claim them expenses ...lol they were handy to . i liked the berni inn to , been demolished years ago now, but yes good steaks.as we use to say it was good of companys to employ us to get pissed when we were cadets and then provide us with a bed (the hostel) afterwords to sober up.yes my mate does know you then ,he been teaching at gcns for years now ,naval arc.was his prime subject.mike was regarded as a denholm blueyed cadet i was told and i beleive one of the youngest to be promoted to 2/eng any comments on that .? i think you landed really lucky to be on these ships so long ,i mean i,m probably envyious...lol. i tried too get back on them but for some reason ended up on the troll ships. what a let down, and just for complaining about year later they put me on the commander!! all good sea time but!!!the marree when i was on her had spills on deck to with fuel, some for no apparent reason, though there always a reason, one up at the focsle when we entered the carbean put down to too full a tank, the other one similar to you mentined happened in the nite fuel running out the vent pipe, when you told me of that one it sounded very familar to me when i sailed on the marree.(Thumb)funny you should mention gibb, i was going with a girl whom worked in the denholm office so ended up at the christmas nite out and got pissed on the red wine, and nearly knocked gibb down when i staggerd into him, you should have seen the glare i got from him and a few others, wonder if they knew i was a denholm cadet.and how did i get in...lol. it was really good nite could not wait to the next one in years time,but i behaved at that one.to many people knew me by then.

Stephen J. Card
10th December 2006, 12:53
stephen,bill gibb was my training officer at the time to.i believe he founded clyde marine along with david livingston from denholms, gibbbs now retired.yes you sound like me, dont forget to claim them expenses ...lol they were handy to . i liked the berni inn to , been demolished years ago now, but yes good steaks.as we use to say it was good of companys to employ us to get pissed when we were cadets and then provide us with a bed (the hostel) afterwords to sober up.yes my mate does know you then ,he been teaching at gcns for years now ,naval arc.was his prime subject.mike was regarded as a denholm blueyed cadet i was told and i beleive one of the youngest to be promoted to 2/eng any comments on that .? i think you landed really lucky to be on these ships so long ,i mean i,m probably envyious...lol. i tried too get back on them but for some reason ended up on the troll ships. what a let down, and just for complaining about year later they put me on the commander!! all good sea time but!!!the marree when i was on her had spills on deck to with fuel, some for no apparent reason, though there always a reason, one up at the focsle when we entered the carbean put down to too full a tank, the other one similar to you mentined happened in the nite fuel running out the vent pipe, when you told me of that one it sounded very familar to me when i sailed on the marree.(Thumb)funny you should mention gibb, i was going with a girl whom worked in the denholm office so ended up at the christmas nite out and got pissed on the red wine, and nearly knocked gibb down when i staggerd into him, you should have seen the glare i got from him and a few others, wonder if they knew i was a denholm cadet.and how did i get in...lol. it was really good nite could not wait to the next one in years time,but i behaved at that one.to many people knew me by then.

Definitely luck to be on the LOCH boats for the six year... minus one trip in GLENPARK, one in WELLPARK and one trip with Shaw Savill & Albion on the ICENIC. Check out photo of her in the SN gallery. ICENIC was OLD!!!! 1961 built to a 1930 design! In the tween decks.... hatch beams, boards, tape, felt blankets.. the works. used to take about two hours to close up a compartment. Two reefer engineers. Chief Freezer and Junior Freezer. Denhom had one and when I went to Uiterwyk Lines on the POLAR URUGUAY we had NONE! The Chief Engineer set up the plant but then the mate had to do all the temps, CO2 reading etc etc. and keep the system going.

Promotion to 2/E.... I believe John Deakin was Second... with Blue Funnel at 22 and Chief at 24 or something like that. Who is your mate teaching at GCNS? I'm trying to remember names and faces but I don't remember anyone who I thought would end up teaching.

That said, one of the deck cadets on the LOMOND... Niel Kempsell went as far as his Mate's ticket then went to art college and now teaches at the Edinburgh College of Art! And of course I've been in that same game since 1984.

As for the COMMANDER... I did maiden voyage in the CLANSMAN in 1974... three months Lisbon, Ras Tannurah.... to sea... baack to ran Tanurrah... discharge cargo into another ship... repair the stern seal... load again and then sail for Le Harve... three months. And I was NOT on board when the mate pumped cargo all over the jetty!!!!

My 'worst' indident in the office... I was up at Crieff one weekend and on the Monday was coming back down to Glasgow. Had a few drams in Perth Station Hotel and Captain D.L. Ross convinced me to buy a bottle of Grouse. Well... it was at least 5p cheaper in Perth! I head back to Glasgow with the Grouse in one pocket of the anorak and a glass in the other. Enjoyed another nip or two on teh way down and on arrival Queen Street, decided to visit head office. Baaaad idea! Not 6th Floor... personnel.... 4th Floor... Exceutive offices. Asked for Alistrair McCorkadale... good pal.. to come out for lunch. Anyhow, I sitting there three sheets and I swear every super and director that walked through the lobby came up to speak to me. Never again!

Stephen

xdenholm
11th December 2006, 09:22
stephen, interesting about the deak, when i first met him , didnt know what to make of him ,he sounded snobbish, a well to do gent, but when in the control room he said to me going ashore tonite young man giving those local wenches a good sh--fting he said. i was taken aback and said no. he said they enjoy a good sh-fting he said ,after that i seen the funny side of the deak ,though when under pressure he got a bit ratty unlike big dave, (Jester)the commander another story, joined her alongside no ballast on her at all right out the water she was 5ooot of new steel plate going into her holds, rotten through and through, only lasted 8yrs along with the clansman,first vlcc, yes big and bendy in high seas, ras tunnra was on her in first week suez opened up for the big stuff another experence to!!!!!!!1

John Cassels
11th December 2006, 18:57
stephen, interesting about the deak, when i first met him , didnt know what to make of him ,he sounded snobbish, a well to do gent, but when in the control room he said to me going ashore tonite young man giving those local wenches a good sh--fting he said. i was taken aback and said no. he said they enjoy a good sh-fting he said ,after that i seen the funny side of the deak ,though when under pressure he got a bit ratty unlike big dave, (Jester)the commander another story, joined her alongside no ballast on her at all right out the water she was 5ooot of new steel plate going into her holds, rotten through and through, only lasted 8yrs along with the clansman,first vlcc, yes big and bendy in high seas, ras tunnra was on her in first week suez opened up for the big stuff another experence to!!!!!!!1

Would be a great help if you could make your posts in English, then we could
all understand them.

JC

Orkney
4th May 2007, 16:59
That said, one of the deck cadets on the LOMOND... Niel Kempsell went as far as his Mate's ticket then went to art college and now teaches at the Edinburgh College of Art! And of course I've been in that same game since 1984.

Stephen

Stephen
I don't think Neil Kempsell did Mate's ticket, he saw the good life faster than that!! I know you took a bit longer but who is the greater artist (painting-wise of course)? ORK

gatline
27th May 2007, 12:27
I was on the Garvel Park back in 1954. Remember filling countless buckets of ore and musk out of the bilges being a lowly JOS whilst the AB's kept in the cleaner restful jobs, still happy days.

Roddy MacSween
3rd June 2007, 20:38
Rod

My number is 01225 583916. I would love to talk to you

Kind Regards

Roddy MacSween

Paul UK
4th June 2007, 08:01
Roddy not a good idea to put your number on an open site

Paul

John Cassels
4th June 2007, 08:20
Rod

My number is 01225 583916. I would love to talk to you

Kind Regards

Roddy MacSween

Roddy , which Rod are you talking about ?.

Not Rod Holroyd I think as he has never replied to my e-mails sent in December last year.

jax123
3rd August 2008, 14:12
Hi Stephen
Just joined and hope I'm doing the right thing with the system. A few months ago your name croped up in here when I was looking for info on the crew of the Avon Bridge at Xmas 1973. Not that it was such a joyous occaision that anyone would want to remember it!!!! You wouldn't happen to have crew list from that era?
Glad to hear you are still around an hope the painting is going well!
Jack Kirk, Jnr Eng, Avon Bridge 1973

muldonaich
4th August 2008, 10:17
John Houghton... AKA 'Johnny Rotten' !!!!! Did a couple of years as 2nd Mate and Mate with him in LOCH LOMOND.

Houghton's ship handling skills were not to be faulted. he told me that he had been on one of the converted Forrest boats.... ADVARA I think.... had taken the ship up the Gulf and had to berth and unberth every day for several weeks without pilot and tugs. Way to learn.

Last I heard he was working as Editor of Marine News for the Met Office. I wonder if he ever got his barograph? I doubt it after what I wrote in the fair copy of the met log. I was keeper of the log at that time and Houghton did a few watches for the mate who was hold cleaning. Anyhow, his missed the observations on three occassions. I was rather annoyed because we had a full set of obs in the book. I wrote in the usual 'OOW engaged in navigation" then added in the comments column.... "Captain on watch. Not engaged in Navigation. Not interested in Meteorology!"

Stephenit was vancouver forest himself and captain blackie were the old men on her we were on a scanmel charter no tugs in most of the ports we had to do a runner out of bandar shapur agent was shot on the dock bottom of the gangway gun boat chased us lost the forty foot spreader over the side going hard to starboard great fun ahh those were the days kev.

muldonaich
4th August 2008, 10:27
Roddy , which Rod are you talking about ?.

Not Rod Holroyd I think as he has never replied to my e-mails sent in December last year.i sailed with rod but cannot remember what ship or ships john hope you had a good holiday kevin.