South Africa

David Wilcockson
2nd October 2005, 12:27
I`ve noticed that there are members from a good selection of the seafaring nations but so far I`ve not seen any from the likes of Cape Town or that area where there must be a host of information & pics. No doubt I`ll be told otherwise if I`m wrong!

thunderd
2nd October 2005, 13:04
Hi David, we do have some South Africans on the site in fact there was one from Cape Town signed on just a few days ago.

Freo
4th November 2005, 09:50
Hi David, I was born and brought up in South Africa (Cape Town) and served my engineering apprenticeship in at Table Bay power station. Joined my first ship (SS Argyllshire in Cape Town in 1965, as a junior engineer, outward bound for Australia. She was a refridgerated ship and carried 12 passengers. I now live in Oz
Cheers,
Neil

thedelboy
16th January 2007, 18:59
David I am trying to find a Derek Wilcockson who served in the Royal Navy in the 60s he was in Scotland in62/63,just wondered if you were related?

John King
6th March 2007, 15:48
Hi David, i'm a pom in Jo'burg, my daughter has to my regret moved up here from DURBAN when we used to visit i used to be up and out by 6am off to the point and spend all day there while the girls went to the malls its a shame i did not know about SN.How when i signed on my profile shows me BRITISH Regards John King.

Diver Down
27th July 2012, 10:48
I`ve noticed that there are members from a good selection of the seafaring nations but so far I`ve not seen any from the likes of Cape Town or that area where there must be a host of information & pics. No doubt I`ll be told otherwise if I`m wrong!

Hello David, my commercial diving career started in 1989 in Cape Town Docks in the Lay-up Basin. The location of Depth Recovery Unit commercial diving school. After I qualified, I started working for the state department, S.F.R.I. Sea Fisheries Research Unit in Cape Town foreshore as a research diver, this job took me all over, I sailed and served on the R.S. Africana, S.A Agulhas, R.S. Algoa,R.S. Sardinops as well as the old "Vomit Comet" Trachurus just to mention a few! So yes definately seafarers from good old Cape Town, cheers(Pint)