Red Sailor

rab.m.
27th October 2009, 23:37
Looking for two books,Red Sailor by Patrick O'Hara and one about a Dutch sea going tug,but can't remember the name. I think the author was Jan Hartog.They were two of the first books I read as a young R.N.stoker in the mid sixties and would love to source copies.I bought them at one of the many book stalls in Sembewang village Singapore. Happy Days. regards rab.m.

trawlermanpete
28th October 2009, 22:31
try biblio.co.uk.....i did see it on there site about 2years ago....good luck...great read,as yourself read it when in the R.N.

rab.m.
29th October 2009, 00:20
Many thanks Pete no copy of red sailor but did get copy of other book it's called The Captain by Jan De Hartog good read. regards rab.m.

ddraigmor
29th October 2009, 00:46
Jan de Hartog did some great books on tugs. Look him up on Amazon - worth getting.

Jonty

Billieboy
29th October 2009, 08:50
Looking for two books,Red Sailor by Patrick O'Hara and one about a Dutch sea going tug,but can't remember the name. I think the author was Jan Hartog.They were two of the first books I read as a young R.N.stoker in the mid sixties and would love to source copies.I bought them at one of the many book stalls in Sembewang village Singapore. Happy Days. regards rab.m.

The name of the book about a Dutch Tug was called, "Hollands Glorie", by Jan de Hartog. Can't remember the name of the tug, saw the Dutch TV series in Black and White, so it was a long time ago, all about a little steam tug towing bucket dredgers around the world. Something like, "Puffer", in Dutch, with out the humour!(Thumb)

Just remembered the name of the tug, it was, "Furie", translated = "Furious or Fury", in English.

hughesy
29th October 2009, 11:29
I was working with a guy here in Oregon he was from Pennsalvannia, he was a carpenter, his Dad had been to sea and he knew I had. So he asked if I had read the book "The Captain" by Jan de Hartog. I told him I had and he told me that he had done some work for him on his his house Penn. state somewhere, I told him I was impressed I'd like to met Mr De Hartog, "The Captain" was a good book.

all the best(Thumb)
Hughesy