Photo opportunity for IOW/Soton members - Oasis o/t Seas Soton - Nov 2nd

shamrock
29th October 2009, 12:21
More details can be found here...

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2009/10/oasis-is-coming-to-southampton.html

Anyone from here & the cruise community should be able to get some decent views of the monster ;)

shamrock
31st October 2009, 08:24
It seems that the ship will be in 'Charlie' anchorage from around 1230pm on Monday.

If memory serves me right, isn't that tween Pompey & Ryde where the big US carriers usually anchor?

If so those in Pompey, Ryde and on ferries should have a great view of her offloading the 300 workers by tender.

stevo r6 86
2nd November 2009, 18:23
just seen the oasis of the seas of gosort she is absaloutly amazing there is a US destroyer out there too and it dwarfs it! she was a little bit late she arrived at 5:15ish but eh better late than never!!

stevo r6 86
2nd November 2009, 18:25
And yep thats where the US aircraft carriers go :)

wigger
2nd November 2009, 20:02
USS Ramage was supposed to be at Charlie today, so that was the Destroyer.
Regards
Craig

Pompeyfan
2nd November 2009, 20:32
Two poor pictures. I was waiting since 1100 at Cowes. Reports were that she was going into Southampton. I had to go out early, so could not track her on AIS, but before I left home, AIS had her down as arriving Southampton at 1400. Cowes was therefore the best vantage point. As the day wore on radio stations were saying she was going to Southampton, then later to the Solent. I met a man listening to her on his radio, and said she was due at the Nab at 1715, and off Cowes around 1630. My son also listening to VTS said she was off Selsey around 1500. I then decided to go over to East Cowes to peer around the corner to see how far away she was, and possibly go to Ryde, because my son also heard she would anchor off Lee on the Solent. I knew I would have got a better picture at Ryde, far closer with the fading light, but worried I may get stuck in traffic and miss her, so I stayed put at East Cowes.

She looked far better through my bins, but had I known better, I would have gone to Ryde earlier. Still, although poor pictures and far away, better than nothing I suppose?.

USS Ranage can also be seen.

David

jAdUwallah
4th November 2009, 12:45
David,

Your pictures are ok, especially considering the gloaming at that time of day.

Bit of a beast isn't she? (EEK)

Best wishes, jAdU.