MV Arisaig

Banni
3rd October 2005, 19:10
From an ex-Clan Line seafarer, can anybody give me details of the Arisaig, a picture was posted in the gallery and I got feedback referring to the clydebuilt site, it had some info but can any ex Denholm staff shed any further light on the Arisaig. Connection? ex Arisaig (the village) resident. thanks.

John Cassels
3rd October 2005, 19:59
Good evening Sir,

The Arisaig, now there's a name from the past.
Sailed on her as first trip 3rd.mate 1966. Typical Scottish Ore carrier ,built for Port Talbot discharge. DW abt 9000, 3 legged opposed piston Doxford.
If my memory is correct, Master at the time was Capt.D."Yogi" Blair. 2nd.mate was my fellow Gourockian K.MacLeod. It was a pleasant 6 months including a long summer stay
in Almeria waiting for the ore loader to get fixed. Spent 3 weeks or so at a layby near the center of town. Good memories.Apart from that pretty much the usual ore carrier.
May be able to find a photo if you want.

bestrgds

JC

ARRANMAN35
5th October 2005, 14:29
From an ex-Clan Line seafarer, can anybody give me details of the Arisaig, a picture was posted in the gallery and I got feedback referring to the clydebuilt site, it had some info but can any ex Denholm staff shed any further light on the Arisaig. Connection? ex Arisaig (the village) resident. thanks.

I sailed on the Arisaig in 1958 as 4th Engineer, she was a relatively new vessel.
Attached is a poorish quality photograph of her,date and place I do not recall.

R58484956
5th October 2005, 14:47
Welcome to the site arranman,as one engineer to another I am sure you will enjoy the site most of us left the sea years ago but our minds are still there.

ruud
5th October 2005, 15:50
Ahoy,
Welcome aboard,
Just by "Googling" a bit, it's amazing what names can show up at "Google pictures", the most beautiful places on earth, and especialy when those names are Irish,Scottish,Welsh; what a lovely photos shown by just typing 'Arisaig', but I found her as well at our neighbours at Clydeshipping and was posted there by Stewart Cameron: Yard No 1110, Arisaig, ore carrier built in 1957 for Scottish Ore Carriers of Glasgow:
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1650/arisaigwharf8sy.th.jpg (http://img193.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arisaigwharf8sy.jpg)

ARRANMAN35
5th October 2005, 19:10
Welcome to the site arranman,as one engineer to another I am sure you will enjoy the site most of us left the sea years ago but our minds are still there.

Many thanks for your welcome, like yourself I left the sea many,many years
ago, however have maintained an interest in ships and shipping.
A member of the World Ship Society, retired for some years now I can indulge myself in photography(not exactly good), which gives me some pleasure, knowing that I am now not involved in actual sailing.

R58484956
5th October 2005, 19:37
Arranman, photographs of ships are most welcome on this site, helps us to relive those sea going memories, one of my greatest regrets now is not having a camera at sea and saving fleet lists and menus. Apart from gold braid and a few boxes of company matches I have no momentos only memories.

ARRANMAN35
6th October 2005, 19:28
Arranman, photographs of ships are most welcome on this site, helps us to relive those sea going memories, one of my greatest regrets now is not having a camera at sea and saving fleet lists and menus. Apart from gold braid and a few boxes of company matches I have no momentos only memories.

R58484956,
Yes like yourself I have memories of my seagoing days.
My interests and pursuits were somewhat different then,
cameras and photography was not one of them.

ARRANMAN35
6th October 2005, 19:34

The Sottish Ore Carrier fleet with the exception of the Craigallian and Crinan
were Lithgow built, each took the name of some of the Highland Estates the
family were involved with. Gleddoch was the estate at Langbank, now a golf
resort and high class hotel.

DCMARINE
15th December 2005, 13:43
According to "Ships in Focus (Record 24) "Arisaig" was named after the village.
Details:
O.N. 185788
Tonnage: 6,872gross; 3,115net; 9,000dwt
Dimensions: 427ft x 57ft 3ins x 25ft 4.5ins
Engine: 3cyl 2SCSA Doxford-type by David Rowan & Co. Ltd., Glasgow - 600 x 2320 - 2,500 BHP
Speed: 10.5 kts
Launched: 3rd June 1957 by Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 1110) for Scottish Ore Carriers Ltd (J & J Denholm (Management) Ltd., managers)
Completed: September 1957
Arrived at Faslane for demolition by Shipbreaking Industries Ltd on 1st May 1972.
She was one of the very few ore-carriers that was not converted, or went on to do other things, when their ore-carrying days were over.
It is amazing what some of them did in another life
Regards,
Donald Campbell

Raz Jones
26th November 2007, 19:13
I sailed on the Arisaig in 1958 as 4th Engineer, she was a relatively new vessel.
Attached is a poorish quality photograph of her,date and place I do not recall.

The picture of Arisaig shows her outbound from Port Talbot docks looks like she as just left the lock
Regards
Ray

Sandy Wilson
14th April 2013, 10:34
My brother, James G Wilson, sailed in MV Arisaig as a cadet or junior officer with Denholms in the late fifties or early sixties

As sailors sometimes do, he made a 2ft model of the vessel in his off duty time aboard

This sits on my shelf to this day

Sadly he was killed in a motor accident in 1969

Sandy Wilson

Erimus
14th April 2013, 22:35
Good evening Sir,

The Arisaig, now there's a name from the past.
Sailed on her as first trip 3rd.mate 1966. Typical Scottish Ore carrier ,built for Port Talbot discharge. DW abt 9000, 3 legged opposed piston Doxford.
If my memory is correct, Master at the time was Capt.D."Yogi" Blair. 2nd.mate was my fellow Gourockian K.MacLeod. It was a pleasant 6 months including a long summer stay
in Almeria waiting for the ore loader to get fixed. Spent 3 weeks or so at a layby near the center of town. Good memories.Apart from that pretty much the usual ore carrier.
May be able to find a photo if you want.

bestrgds

JC

John.....we had one ship,not Arisaig, believe it was Orecrest, that had 10days waiting at Almeria, next trip went to Melilla where belts broke and another weeks wait....to cap it all a couple of trips later she did Sagunto for Cardiff and again at least a weeks wait!

geoff

John Cassels
15th April 2013, 08:07
Morning Geoff , jeez that's an old post - over 7 years ago !.
Since then have come to the conclusion that it was less than 3 weeks ( but
more than 1 week) and that not sure now if it was waiting for the loader to
be repaired .
This would be late 1966 .

S.Moodie
29th April 2013, 21:36
Hullo Sandy Wilson. I sailed with Jimmy on the Arisaig March - December 64 during which time he built the model you describe from scratch using only materials available on board. The last time I saw the model it was on display in the Operations Research Department at 37 Renfield Street. Jimmy was a very clever chap and a good shipmate, though he got our renowned Company Carpenter one Francis J. McKittrick to make the carrying case to protect it on the journey home when he paid off. Will send PM for further recollection.
Best Regards,
Sandy Moodie (Third Mate at that time.)

Sandy Wilson
2nd May 2013, 11:34
Hello Sandy Moodie

Thank you so much for your response
My sisters and I were so pleased to hear from someone who sailed
with Jimmy all these years ago
I have a couple of photos of the model of mv Arisaig i'll be pleased to send you ( I dont Know how to put them on this site)
Yes laterly Jimmy was working for Denholms in the Operational Research Dept
Other ships he sailed in were SS Prome, MV Kalewa,and MV Clunepark.
He made a bigger working model of Clunepark that had electric power
and could 'steam' across ponds. But this was stolen

best regards and thanks again for your response

Sandy Wilson