RFA sailor finally awarded his medals

Gibdan
7th November 2009, 17:08
First of all apologies if this isnt the right thread but I thought I'd put a mention of this award. Better late than never, on TV he said that this was one of the most special days of his life. A proud day for this Gibraltarian.

Original link fronm the online version of todays Gibraltar Chronicle

http://www.chronicle.gi/headlines_details.php?id=17624

On the eve of Remembrance Day

GEORGE FINALLY GET HIS MEDALS!

At a ceremony held yesterday George Joyce was finally presented with the medals which he earned during the Second World War. In 1939 George joined the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) in Gibraltar and served on RFA’s Prestol, Viscol, Mixol and Thermol during World War 2, working his way up through the ranks from Ordinary Seaman. He continued to serve in the RFA after World War 2 and eventually came ashore in 1955 having served as Bosun and finally as the Acting Third Officer on RFA Eddybeach. For some reason he never received medals he was due for his war service.

After coming ashore Mr Joyce joined the Victualling Yard and he finally retired in 1970 when he was awarded the Imperial Service Medal.

Mr Joyce’s full name is John George Joyce – however he is known by one and all as George Joyce. A widower, George has lived in Gibraltar all his life.

Yesterday Commander British Forces Gibraltar, Commodore Adrian Bell (above) presented George with the 1939-45 Star and the 1939 -45 War Medal. He may be entitled to at least one additional medal but the Merchant Seaman’s records for the 2nd World War were not always completed accurately.

Daniel

TARBATNESS
8th November 2009, 15:06
Excellent news and I hope that George enjoyed the day. Pleased that his service has been recognised at long last.

Shaun

AGAMEMNON
11th November 2009, 18:07
Well said Shaun.
Congratulations George!

tidespring82
29th November 2009, 20:57
I know something about this as my colleague who runs www.historicalrfa.org with me is married to a Gibraltarian and visits the Island on a regular basis, and it was during one of his trips that he was talking to George and learned he had never recieved his medals, apparently the Merchant Seamen from Gibraltar never had Discharge Books during WW2, just discharge certificates.

They were overlooked at the end of the war, so there are a large number of men who never recieved recognition for the work they did and very soon we hope to rectify this apalling omission and with the help of the MCA, get their next of kin the medals they should have had sixty odd years ago.

shipinbottle
30th November 2009, 10:00
he finally retired in 1970

I think now he is older than 90 years old. it's old, but not end