1958-60 RFAs to the CEYLON

CEYLON220
8th November 2009, 00:45
During the commission of the colony class cruiser CEYLON on route to the Far East station late 58 these were some of the RFAs that supplied us with various provisions and fuel, any of you may have served aboard these ships at the time and remember being our shadow at that time, first of all we took our first refuelling on August 5th from the TIDESURGE not far from Malta, our next fuelling ship was the TIDEFLOW,the next refuelling was done at Aden and also provisioned for our tour in the Persian Gulf. After the Gulf tour we then headed for Singapore in the company of ALBION, CHICHESTER,and several RFAs(memory fails me here to name them) finally berthing at Stores Basin, S`pore.

We took part in a series of exercises called Sundex and Swanex with the NEWFOUNDLAND,ALBION,MELBOURNE, and later with the USS YORKTOWN and the oiler PPONCHATOULA plus destroyers and 2 submarines,the French ship FRANCIS GARNIER joined the fleet later. This fleet also took part in Sea Demon the annual SEATO manoeuvres.

CEYLON220
10th November 2009, 11:56
During the commission of the colony class cruiser CEYLON on route to the Far East station late 58 these were some of the RFAs that supplied us with various provisions and fuel, any of you may have served aboard these ships at the time and remember being our shadow at that time, first of all we took our first refuelling on August 5th from the TIDESURGE not far from Malta, our next fuelling ship was the TIDEFLOW,the next refuelling was done at Aden and also provisioned for our tour in the Persian Gulf. After the Gulf tour we then headed for Singapore in the company of ALBION, CHICHESTER,and several RFAs(memory fails me here to name them) finally berthing at Stores Basin, S`pore.

We took part in a series of exercises called Sundex and Swanex with the NEWFOUNDLAND,ALBION,MELBOURNE, and later with the USS YORKTOWN and the oiler PPONCHATOULA plus destroyers and 2 submarines,the French ship FRANCIS GARNIER joined the fleet later. This fleet also took part in Sea Demon the annual SEATO manoeuvres.

Don`t know what has happened here but only a 1/4 of my tale has been printed, the other RFAs on this journey were RELIANT, RESURGENT which supplied us when we were down around S`pore and Hong Kong and the Japan
stations.