Golfito

Ron Stringer
4th October 2005, 20:50
Seeing a photo posted by gadgee showing cars in the 'tweendeck reminds me of the Golfito during the winter of '60/'61. She loaded six new cars in No.1 'tweendeck, for delivery to dealers in Kingston, Jamaica. I was very familiar with that 'tweendeck since the radar transceiver was located there, under the foremast.

Outward bound, crossing the Bay of Biscay we ran into some very heavy weather and strange crashing and banging was heard from up for'ard. When things calmed down some days later, it was possible to cross the foredeck and get down into the hold to see what had been causing the racket.

One or more of the cars had broken loose in the storm and eventually released all the others from their lashings. They had a great time playing unmanned dodgem cars down there and when I went down to look, they were hardly recognisable. One car was even parked upside down on top of another.

On arrival in Kingston the remains of the cars were slung ashore and dropped onto the wharf, from where they were taken directly to the scrapyard. At that time, cars were on pretty long delivery, so I shouldn't think that the shipper was best pleased to have them written off.

Ron Stringer

bobarr
4th October 2005, 21:11
I sailed on the 'Golfito's sister, the 'Camito' (Reg.No. 185049) during the winter of 1958, and had similar weather experience in the Bay of Biscay. Fortunately, the dockies at Southampton had done a better job of stowing the cars, since ours arrived intact!
I very much enjoyed the West Indies, particularly Trinidad. It is hard to remember individual crew members after all the years, but I do remember the Bosun quite well. He was a very tall man from Northern Ireland and went by the name of 'Loppy Lugs' (behind his back, of course!) because of his huge ears. But, by God, did he make 'holystone' the Passenger Decks! Happy Days, indeed. bobarr