John 'Barclay' Hill

Mark R
9th November 2009, 14:23
John Barclay Hill - a former Houlder Bros Chief Engineer, Supt and Technical manager died last week at home near Newcastle UK.

A man with a real love of ships and shipping and a tremendous knowledge of ship's details and histories.

He never took to using the internet but corresponded with shipping friends all over the globe using his typewriter.

His Funeral is at Wall nr Hexham on Thursday 2pm.

Mark R

non descript
9th November 2009, 14:39
Mark
Thank you for that; and in passing thank you for joining SN and your first posting.

John was a very decent man, much respected and with great knowledge, as well as a great charm.

Kind regards
Mark

MARINEJOCKY
9th November 2009, 15:00
Mr. Hill, affectionally known as Benny to us in Houlders always had a kind word and promoted me to my first chiefs position.

My sincere condolences to all of his family and friends.

R58484956
9th November 2009, 16:00
Greetings Mark R and welcome to SN on your sad posting.
Condolences to Mr Hills family. RIP

marinero
9th November 2009, 18:43
Welcome Mark.
Very sad news for your first post and another link with Houlders lost. As Marinjockey said, known to us in Houlder Bros. as "Benny" There are a lot of Houlder personnel owe a great deal to this man, who was one of the old school and a gentleman.

My condolences to his family.

Regards

BOB.WHITTAKER
11th November 2009, 21:30
" MR. HILL " A true gentleman , I first met him in 1970 on the Orotava in Port Talbot . We did the duct keel investigating leaking Victaulic couplings on the bunker lines , a calm and considerate man . Very sad to hear of his death. Bob Whittaker

LOCKER
27th November 2009, 17:03
" MR. HILL " A true gentleman , I first met him in 1970 on the Orotava in Port Talbot . We did the duct keel investigating leaking Victaulic couplings on the bunker lines , a calm and considerate man . Very sad to hear of his death. Bob Whittaker

Bob
Unfortunately I chose today to join in the forum and first thing found this news about John Hill.
I agree with everything you say. He was a true gentleman of the marine world , incredibly knowlegable in the history of all shipping and in particular our area.
He gave me my first job as C/E and also later as Supt in Houlders.

He will be sadly missed
my condolences to his family for their loss.
Time is marching on for too many of us.
Keith Reay

Gonzales
16th December 2009, 22:08
Bob
This my first time to join in a forum.Having spent the whole of my working life (40 years) in Houlders, I have known Mr Hill for many years. He really was a through gentleman and friend to many people not only in Houlders but throughout the worldwide shipping fraturnity. He will be sadly missed. My condolances to his family for their loss.

R58484956
17th December 2009, 12:43
Greetings Gonzales and a warm welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

ALAN TYLER
28th December 2009, 12:42
There is an article about John B Hill in this months "Shipping" (January) magazine giving a good account of his working life.It was written by Norman Middlemiss.

marinero
29th December 2009, 11:13
There is an article about John B Hill in this months "Shipping" (January) magazine giving a good account of his working life.It was written by Norman Middlemiss.

Morning Alan and a merry Christmas and happy New Year.
Norman Middlemiss was a very close friend of John Hill. They were both senior members of the Tyneside branch of the World Ship Society. I attended a few meetings and they were fascinating speakers and very knowledgeable of all things maritime.

Regards (Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
30th December 2009, 14:38
Hi Leo, A Happy Christmas & Happy New Year to you, hope you didn,t over indulge. We had a quiet one with the family apart from the ones over in Canada. He,s being posted back to Germany in April so hopefully will get to see them more. All the Best Alan.

marinero
30th December 2009, 19:28
Hi Leo, A Happy Christmas & Happy New Year to you, hope you didn,t over indulge. We had a quiet one with the family apart from the ones over in Canada. He,s being posted back to Germany in April so hopefully will get to see them more. All the Best Alan.

Hi Alan.

Spent a five day inclusive break in a hotel in Benidorm (brilliant) and no I did not over indulge, in fact I haven't had a drink for over four years now. That will be good when they are in Germany, not to far to travel.
Were you in the Kenwake Pension Scheme? As when you reach 65 you might get a nice bonus. I did.

Regards (Thumb)