MV Owerri

the_vietnam_bear
11th November 2009, 14:46
I need help, can anyone send me a photo of the Owerri, I sailed on her from Avonmouth up to Toxeth Dock in Liverpool in 1970.

Thanks

norman.r
11th November 2009, 16:26
You will find a couple of photographs of Owerri in the gallery section
As a matter of interest I sailed as third mate on her in 1956
Norman

eldersuk
11th November 2009, 23:47
I sailed 2/Eng on her 1971/72.

Derek

the_vietnam_bear
15th November 2009, 15:54
You will find a couple of photographs of Owerri in the gallery section
As a matter of interest I sailed as third mate on her in 1956
Norman

Sorry Norman I searched the gallery but could not find any photos?

shipmate17
15th November 2009, 16:01
Hi.
Click on gallery at top of page,then scroll down the right hand side then type Owerri in the small search window,it should bring up the photos you want.
Cheers.

eldersuk
15th November 2009, 23:11
Pic of OWERRI loaded today in Cargo Vessels gallery.

Derek

alan ward
31st January 2012, 16:29
I did two trips on her in 1967 with Jimmy Mooney C/Stwd.Keith Ritch Purser and his mate Alan Wardle Elect.(a pair of lunatics of the first water,I still quote Keith at times)George the Mate from Hull,Dave Atkin 2nd Mate the Captain was Ronnie something or other from Blackpool can`t remember his surname and my book isn`t to hand.I can remember Hugh Monckton,Bob Norton and Neil Kinsey deck cadets.High jinks all round a great ship and the start of my education in all things nautical,adult and behavoural(if there is such a word,and if there isn`t there ought to be)no ship,before or after was ever as much fun as the Jolly Boat,I simply could never ever be embarassed again.

alan ward
31st January 2012, 16:31
Ronnie Greenwood was the OM,looked and sounded like Albert Tatlock

John Gillespie
7th February 2012, 16:22
I did two trips on her in 1967 with Jimmy Mooney C/Stwd.Keith Ritch Purser and his mate Alan Wardle Elect.(a pair of lunatics of the first water,I still quote Keith at times)George the Mate from Hull,Dave Atkin 2nd Mate the Captain was Ronnie something or other from Blackpool can`t remember his surname and my book isn`t to hand.I can remember Hugh Monckton,Bob Norton and Neil Kinsey deck cadets.High jinks all round a great ship and the start of my education in all things nautical,adult and behavoural(if there is such a word,and if there isn`t there ought to be)no ship,before or after was ever as much fun as the Jolly Boat,I simply could never ever be embarassed again.

I was the 3rd mate, George Paton was the mate,Ronnie Greenwood was the master,he even looked like Albert Tatlock,giving away my age now.
What a ship, great crowd.Were you the Catering cadet?
Where have all those seafarers gone.
Regards

alan ward
8th February 2012, 15:38
I was the 3rd mate, George Paton was the mate,Ronnie Greenwood was the master,he even looked like Albert Tatlock,giving away my age now.
What a ship, great crowd.Were you the Catering cadet?
Where have all those seafarers gone.
Regards

No I was the Purser Cadet,were you there when we acquired a senior apprentice as extra 3rd.mate or was that you?

Keith Ritch became a prison governor and is now retired,Dave Atkin made Master with Hoegh Ugland and still lives in Kirkella Hull,George Paton is well retired now and is ill with diabetes related symptoms.I bumped into Alan Wardle once in Liverpool with his girlfriend he was much more subdued than when we knew him.Neil Kinsey I know went to Blue Funnel with the merger.Everyone else I have lost touch with.I enjoyed ED`s but didn`t like the pursers role,it always seemed particularly pointless to me just couldn`t into endless tallying.What were tally cvlerks for?they can`t have all been bent.

Allan Pugh
11th February 2012, 23:38
Hello John - Unfortunately, can't remember you from that time. I did 4 trips on her with Ron Greenwood, George "Tony" Paton, Spanish Frank Waring, Arthur "Sexy" Brown C/E, Derek "Geordie" Barron 2/E, Don Hunter 3/E (Bobby Hood 3/E), Davy Patterson Lecky, Alan Wardle Lecky, Mad Mooney C/Stwd, Johnny Drew 2/Stwd. Keith Ritch Purser et al. Happy ship - and Ron Greenwood was a dead ringer for Albert Tatlock. I can still remember our chippy was red-headed Cornishman - Dick something. Also the very exclusive social club called "Swoopers Incooperated". Happy, mad ship!

Allan Pugh R/O

alan ward
15th February 2012, 12:35
Hugh Monckton,schoolmate of Prince Charles at Gordonstoun,didn`t know any of the songs we sang whilst having a beer so we wrote the words to a couple of verses to`there are seagulls round the lighthouse in Mobile`so when his turn came he dutifully sang in a voice not too far away from Brian Sewells`Oh she`s got a lovely country mansion house,`lovely,lovely bloke.He also made master,I don`t know who with,obviously not ED`s or Blue Flue.I found him looking through Debretts to trace the name on a plate chest I`d bought.

Jimmy Mooney,there`s a name to conjure with, a byword for drunkeness`Hey,go and see if the Moon`s up yet`he was sailing with Jimmy Scotland as 2/stwd on one voyage,what an evil combination that was.I remember him prowling the alleyways looking for cups and saucers in the accomdation.He found I was using one to feed my parrot from and he stuffed it,complete with parrot food,down the front on my white uniform shirt.A real hard case with a 17 year old.I also remember him serving a portion of stew into a begging dock workers hat,a genuine charmer if ever I met one.

alan ward
15th February 2012, 14:39
I have just remembered Joe Lynch 3/E a small fair southern irishman.When asked why he had a pouch of tobacco in the top pocket of his tropical shirt when he didn`t smoke said,by way of explanation`It`s my docking bottle from last trip`another Irish 4/engineer whose name i can`t recall used to sing in a high tenor and he knew every traditional ballad in the world.I can always recall his address 8 Oriel Terrace,Dundalk I could`nt tell you more than half a dozen address even of my own family but his has stuck for some reason.

In Lagos,Hugh Monckton sent a roll of film ashore for development the returning Nigerian messanger wanted some outlandish sum for the service,Hug refused to pay and a right melee started outside the cadets accomodation a lot of toing and froing,people being held back,Nigerians performing as only they can when right over the top of this ruck came Hughs fist smacking said rip-off merchants face.I can recall more stories about the Owerri than any other ships I sailed on.The whip round we had to buy Alan Wardle a chicken whilst up the creeks because everyone else had a parrot/monkey and he didn`t,this chicken was locked in his stores and when he openend the door it took off clucking and screeching along the alleyways,shitting and shedding feathers everywhere much to our amusement.Geordie Barron was quite annoyed by this display of immature behaviour,chase,caught and strangled the thing,now he WAS angry.
Remember the procedure after leaving Liverpool?when the crew cabins and stores were checked for private purchases,looking for the sewing machines,wardrobes,dressing tables etc.they had bought in Paddys Market.
Were you on board when the AB jumped over the rail when his stuff was dumped?I and Bob Norton were the dumpees and I was terrified he`d come and get me after we picked him up.

Allan Pugh
15th February 2012, 17:10
Not a very nice man sober, but an out and out bully with a drink in him! The 2/Stwd Johnny Drew (brother to Alfie - if anyone remembers him) was an ex-professional boxer and on one occasion Jimmy had a go at him - nothing spectacular happened except the Moon couldn't touch him he was so fast! At various times during my voyages with him he would pick on someone and make that person's life hell. I can recall him pouring a dish of pepper soup all over a junior engineer as he couldn't eat as it was too hot- what a horror!
In an earlier thread someone recalled "The Bush Bible". Ron Greenwood had Genesis off pat - and he even wore the linen jacket, back to front collar and Panama hat.
Did you sail with Arthur Brown C/E ? He purported to be a warlock and would go up on the monkey island, raise his arms, chant some gibberish and communicate with his wife in Alloway - even when we were in Sapele!!!!!!!!

alan ward
16th February 2012, 09:26
No I can`t remember the C/E you mention,as a very junior.young member of the complement your horizons are very narrow and are restricted to those with whom you work and actually live with so no,I have remembered where joe lynch lived though Drogheda,why have things of such little importance stuck with me and things that really do matter don`t.

The R/O of the Kohima whos name was Coulson,lost a lighter on a jolly one day when we took the ships lifeboat out to an island somewhere.He was particlarly upset becvause it had the name of his last ship engraved on it r.m.m.sMauretania,again why do I remembver that but not what his christian name was?