SS Nurtureton Half a Ship

tsell
13th November 2009, 09:37
I sailed aboard Chapman's Nurtureton in 1952. Little did I know then that she had split in half and 'stitched' together in 1931 after running aground off Dungeness in a gale.

From my memory, nobody aboard knew of this and if they did it was never mentioned. I wonder given the conditions we experienced if we would have all jumped ship had we found out at the time.

During a phone chat with a former crew member the other day, who had joined her after I paid off, he said that he certainly had not heard of event.

I discovered the saga on doing some research a while ago and saw a Pathe News clip showing her before and after the damage.

I wonder if there is any member who knows of the ship or sailed on her in her later years.

Anybody interested can Google: British Pathe half a ship nurtureton. The camera takes a trip around the stern half as it is being towed.

Taff

Dave Edge
14th November 2009, 02:14
On 5 January 1931 Nurtureton stranded in fog near Dungness en route Newcastle to Italy with coal. Refloated in two halves and taken to Rotterdam to be rebuilt. She was only 18 months old at the time and eventually lasted until 1960 when she was broken up in Hong Kong.

tsell
14th November 2009, 08:23
On 5 January 1931 Nurtureton stranded in fog near Dungness en route Newcastle to Italy with coal. Refloated in two halves and taken to Rotterdam to be rebuilt. She was only 18 months old at the time and eventually lasted until 1960 when she was broken up in Hong Kong.

Hi Dave,

You got me thinking re '18 months old', so I did some more research and find there were two ships of the same name. The first built in 1912 and the second in 1929.
Seems the latter was sold and renamed 'Erika Fritzen' the year after I sailed on her and subsequently 'Mongkok', no doubt by the Breakers.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Regards

Taff

tedayton
9th December 2010, 23:18
I sailed aboard Chapman's Nurtureton in 1952. Little did I know then that she had split in half and 'stitched' together in 1931 after running aground off Dungeness in a gale.

From my memory, nobody aboard knew of this and if they did it was never mentioned. I wonder given the conditions we experienced if we would have all jumped ship had we found out at the time.

During a phone chat with a former crew member the other day, who had joined her after I paid off, he said that he certainly had not heard of event.

I discovered the saga on doing some research a while ago and saw a Pathe News clip showing her before and after the damage.

I wonder if there is any member who knows of the ship or sailed on her in her later years.

Anybody interested can Google: British Pathe half a ship nurtureton. The camera takes a trip around the stern half as it is being towed.

Taff
Dear Dave,
I joined this site to explore my dads past life in the Merchant Marine. I have
his"Certificate of Discharge Book" which notes that he joined the Nurtureton at Newcastle on 22nd Dec 1932 and was discharged at North Shields on 19th March 1933.He was known as Ted Ayton and went on to become an Executive of the National Union of Seaman. Sorry to bore you but its nice to know that very indirectly you have something in common with my Dad . kindest regards

tsell
11th December 2010, 03:58
Dear Dave,
I joined this site to explore my dads past life in the Merchant Marine. I have
his"Certificate of Discharge Book" which notes that he joined the Nurtureton at Newcastle on 22nd Dec 1932 and was discharged at North Shields on 19th March 1933.He was known as Ted Ayton and went on to become an Executive of the National Union of Seaman. Sorry to bore you but its nice to know that very indirectly you have something in common with my Dad . kindest regards

Welcome aboard. I am sure that you will enjoy your time with us.
It seems that your dad signed on the Nurtureton almost a year after she split in half - about 20 years before I joined her.
If you Google 'British Pathe' then enter Nurtureton in the search bar, you will find a couple of films, one showing her at sea and another showing the separated halves prior to towing to Holland for repair.
I have only come across one other former crew member from her after searching for many years.
From the profile I assume you are Ted's son or daughter and that your dad would be well into his eighties. If he is still well it would be great to hear a few stories of his life at sea. All the very best.

Taff

tedayton
11th December 2010, 20:11
Many thanks for your reply.Dad died in 1982 age 76.I went to Pathe News ref "Nurtureton" Known Dad had stood on those decks brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eyes.If you have time there is so much i would like to ask you about the sea.We lived in South Shields "River Tyne" I could never understand why Dad never wanted me to go to Sea .Perhaps he new what a hard life it was.
Forgive my ramblings
Arthur

tsell
13th December 2010, 01:28
Hi again Arthur,

I am pleased to have been able to lead you to a couple of films of dad's old ship. I still get a bit emotional when I look at them, as I often do.
She was a hard ship in the 50's, but must have been very much harder during your father's time aboard. We ran out of food on my last trip from Barahona to the Thames, so I refused to rejoin her as did most, if not all of the crew.
I will make some time in the next day or so to send you a PM (Private Message).

All the best

Taff

tedayton
13th December 2010, 02:28
Many thanks for your reply. I look foward to your next communication,
Dad sailed on a ship SS Neotsfield Reg Hull May 28-9-27 to Quebec and Halifax Nova Scotia.
Canada. As Pam and i are now retired we are saving our pennies for a cruise to follow in his footsteps from Southhampton.
My Mam used to tell me that she used to Pawn her wedding ring to see us through when she was waiting for her "allotment"from the shipping company in the 30s
Maybe a good thread on this site would be a discussion on the real conditions faced by Sailors from 1920 to 1960.
Just a thought SS Nurtureton must have been a lucky ship 5 of Dads
ships went down in Convoys
Kindest Regards
Arthur

tsell
13th December 2010, 06:08
Hi Arthur,

I'll be in touch soon. Meanwhile here is a great picture of Nurtureton for you to download.

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20N/slides/Nurtureton-01.html

Cheers

Taff