Wave Knight in the News

Lancastrian
13th November 2009, 14:26
The 100-strong crew of the RFA Wave Knight were under orders not to open fire as Paul and Rachel Chandler, of Tunbridge Wells, Kent, were taken from their yacht for fear that the couple could be executed by the pirates (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/piracy/).
With the nearest warship, HMS Cumberland, two hours away, the lightly armed Royal Fleet Auxiliary ship, which was carrying a helicopter crew and 75 merchant seamen, was forced to play a high stakes waiting game, the Royal Navy said.

More here -
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/piracy/6560063/Royal-Navy-watched-helpless-as-pirates-kidnapped-yacht-couple-Paul-and-Rachel-Chandler.html

Lancastrian
21st November 2009, 14:44
The First Sea Lord's view of the incident - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6920654.ece

Pat Kennedy
21st November 2009, 15:29
I wonder what the First Sea Lord's reaction would have been, had the pirates turned their attention to the Wave Knight itself.

Lancastrian
21st November 2009, 15:39
In that case the Rules of Engagement would have allowed them to defend themselves. According to today's Daily Mail, they had been firing warning shots.

stevo r6 86
21st November 2009, 17:57
i can tell you that the WAVE KNIGHT was fired upon! but didnt want to fire back as it would endager the hostages!

Union Jack
21st November 2009, 18:26
I can tell you that the WAVE KNIGHT was fired upon! but didnt want to fire back as it would endager the hostages!

.... not to mention the cargo of dieso and aviation fuel that she would be carrying, and with which a well-directed RPG projectile could cause havoc!

Jack

stevo r6 86
21st November 2009, 18:29
yeah it had to be pumped over to the bayleaf for the waveknoght to enter the med. it does have some cargo onboard which looks like a yacht! ;)

Lancastrian
21st November 2009, 20:03
.... not to mention the cargo of dieso and aviation fuel that she would be carrying, and with which a well-directed RPG projectile could cause havoc!

Jack

DIESO & AVCAT are actually quite difficult to set alight.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"waveknoght to enter the med." Enter the Med?? What are you on about?

Stevo
21st November 2009, 21:56
The Daily Mail wasn't too complimentry about the navy over the incident in today's print stating the RN was a laughing stock!!

GBXZ
22nd November 2009, 05:09
Mrs Thatcher would never have allowed this piracy, a visit by the gentlemen from Hereford would have been arranged.

billyboy
22nd November 2009, 05:29
Mrs Thatcher would never have allowed this piracy, a visit by the gentlemen from Hereford would have been arranged.

Too true there GBXZ.

However the SAS could have stopped the IRA at one time but permission to fire was not granted

Noddy-Billing
22nd November 2009, 15:39
The Daily Mail wasn't too complimentry about the navy over the incident in today's print stating the RN was a laughing stock!!
Unfortunately, the Daily Mail doesn't like the truth ( or common sense) getting in the way of a 'good' headline!

stevo r6 86
22nd November 2009, 16:29
The wave knight lancastrian in the very near future is gonna be in the meditteraenean as the fuel had to be pumped over to the bayleaf because of phosphate levels etc!

Lancastrian
22nd November 2009, 20:52
The wave knight lancastrian in the very near future is gonna be in the meditteraenean as the fuel had to be pumped over to the bayleaf because of phosphate levels etc!

It sounds as though you are speaking about things you shouldn't be, again. Beware a knock on the door.
MEDITERRANEAN.

stevo r6 86
24th November 2009, 21:21
If you were a ship buff youll know where to find the info on the net! ;)

dab
24th November 2009, 22:37
If you have a point to make can you make it so it makes sense! What is wavenknoght supposed to signify,(post No7),also post No 11, can you define the tense, i.e. (were/are, or, you'll/you'd.).

Peter Fielding
24th November 2009, 22:53
The press have certainly been less than complimentary about the actions (or inactions) of Waveknight, contrasting her role with that of HMS Cossack during WW2, when, on Churchill's orders she entered Norwegian waters to rescue British merchant seamen being held prisoner aboard the Altmark, this action allegedly giving rise to the shout "The Navy's here!"

Lancastrian
25th November 2009, 10:58
Yes, that was Max Hastings. I would have expected better from him.

Lancastrian
25th November 2009, 11:02
If you were a ship buff youll know where to find the info on the net! ;)

Thankfully I'm not.

stevo r6 86
25th November 2009, 11:10
dab i beleive you must be one of these nit pickers if you dont have common sense thats not my fault!!!

Jim Mclaughlin
25th November 2009, 12:31
Regarding these pirates. Watched mighty ships last night,
Dutch or Danish warship crowed on and on about state of the art weaponry on patrol in pirate waters. Went to the aid of cargo vessel which was being fired on. Found the scum made them drop weapons over the side and sent them on there way like the bad little boys that they were.

Another incident involved another cargo vessel which was being shot at.
This time the cargo ship crew took it into there own hands and petrol bombed the swines, setting fire to one of there boats. The four pirates jumped overboard and were rescued by the Warships fast patrol boat and taken onboard to be sent to Denmark for trial. (My point is if they can shoot at seaman they should be blown out of the water as a deterent)

Billieboy
25th November 2009, 14:20
In 100% agreement with you Jim!

Stevo
25th November 2009, 22:30
The Russians wouldn't muck about asking the pirates to dump their weapons. Granted the hostages might not make it but that would be the end of the pirates and act as sufficient deterrent.

Pat Kennedy
25th November 2009, 22:39
The Russians wouldn't muck about asking the pirates to dump their weapons. Granted the hostages might not make it but that would be the end of the pirates and act as sufficient deterrent.

If thats the case, then perhaps it would be an idea if the rest of the naval ships in the area were to be retired from the scene, and the job was put out to the Russians on a contract.
That way, the Russkies would get the blame if anything went wrong
Pat(EEK)

R736476
26th November 2009, 07:56
To the Daily Mail?

GBXZ
26th November 2009, 09:44
R736476
Well its a starting point.............

deckboypeggy
26th November 2009, 15:10
I would send for STEVE ERWIN and his anti whaling type war ship,they are good at throwing bombs,they could fill them with TEPOL,AND SODA CRYSTALS[CAUSTIC] that would lighten the pirates up.make their feet burn and they would abandon ship,or slip away in the bubbles.. i am with R736476 where are the S.B.S.

Lancastrian
27th November 2009, 21:54
From the BBC -
A RFA spokeswoman said the Wave Knight, with the the 38ft Lynn Rival yacht onboard, had "returned to Portland as part of a planned annual rotation, which was a long-standing arrangement".
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) said it would probably be for the couple's family to decide and arrange what happened next to the boat.
Meanwhile First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope said reports the Navy did not do enough did a "disservice to our sailors", during a key note speech on his vision for the future of the armed forces on Friday.

He said his team had done a "tremendous job" in its attempts to secure the couple's safety.

Full Statement here - http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/rn-live/article/on-the-record-statement/*/changeNav/6568

Lancastrian
29th November 2009, 16:13
More of the story emerges, albeit from an unnamed "source" -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1231775/Royal-Marines-rescued-pirate-hostages-order-attack-came.html

tidespring82
29th November 2009, 20:41
There is a three page article on this story in today's Mail on Sunday, that paper is claiming that the Wave Knight had 20 armed Marines onboard who were repeatedly stood to and then stood down, apparently on the orders of someone higher up the chain of command. Another part of the story also claims that 20 members of the SBS were on the frigate and they were flown over to the Wave Knight during the incident, and they arrived too late.

The most worrying aspect of this is that the Mail on Sunday is claiming that they have a source onboard the Wave Knight who has given them chapter and verse on the whole incident, not very smart given that the MOD is considering privatising the RFA. Me thinks this story will run for a while yet and the 'source' on the ship will be asked to earn his reward and spill some more sensational details.

Lancastrian
29th November 2009, 21:22
Yes Peter , it is a link to the Mail on Sunday posted above. A RN spokesman gives the figure for the RM Fleet Protection group as 10 not 20.
The "source" also claims there were no hostages on the Kota Wajar which seems unlikely.
I just hope the Mail are paying him enough to compensate for the loss of his pension if he is found out.

tidespring82
29th November 2009, 21:57
David shouldn't that be when the person is found, because I reckon there is one hell of a hunt going on for this idiot and I for one would not like to be in their shoes when they are unmasked.

GBXZ
30th November 2009, 05:17
earn "his" reward and paying "him" enough...a bit sexist or do you know something that nobody else knows?

GBXZ

Lancastrian
30th November 2009, 08:53
Sorry if I have offended the sex equality brigade! Its just that when I think of a sailor, I automatically think male. I cant help it, its to do with my age!
No, I have no inside information.
Anyway statistically he probably is.[=P]

Lancastrian
12th December 2009, 16:28
The Mail now blames the Defence Secretary - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1235205/Bob-bungler-Ainsworth-blew-TWO-chances-save-couple-held-pirates.html

NickNZ
12th December 2009, 22:31
I think the SBS may have an opinion as to who should be called upon in this instance.
As for the RFA being involved, whilst it is not their job, but the job of the RN, perhaps if the RN had more ships available this situation would not have arisen.
I have no doubt that the RFA would have happily intervened (they do have an RN/RM detachment on board?), I'm sure that Whitehall made the call. It is they who should be held accountable for this situation, and the press should (do) know this.

rcraig
12th December 2009, 23:24
If the Mail did not blame someone in the Government then it would not be the Mail. Who will they blame next week? Max Hastings?

Ron Stringer
15th December 2009, 17:22
The Mail now blames the Defence Secretary - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1235205/Bob-bungler-Ainsworth-blew-TWO-chances-save-couple-held-pirates.html

God help us if we ever reach the stage where operational tactics are directed by Secretaries of State!

You can understand why Lord Rothermere and the Mail might not understand how the military operate (''Well, soldiers don't work from behind desks in Dockland, do they? So how would we know what they do?'') but as they spend all day up the arses of the politicians, you would think that they would know how Whitehall worked.