Edward Griffiths

narrowboatdave
15th November 2009, 17:02
Hi: first time on here.

I have a relation who's death was registered in the December quarter of 1925 in the Grimsby registration district.

He was Edward Griffiths, born c1890 at Great Yarmouth.

He was apparently drowned whilst on board a fishing vesel, presumably out of Grimsby. His widow had to put the 3 surviving children (all boys) into an orphanage as she could not afford to keep them. All 3 emigrated to New Zealand where their mother later joined them.

I would love to find out more about Edward and the circumstances regarding his death.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions.

K urgess
15th November 2009, 17:17
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Dave.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

Roger Griffiths
15th November 2009, 17:58
Hi: first time on here.

I have a relation who's death was registered in the December quarter of 1925 in the Grimsby registration district.

He was Edward Griffiths, born c1890 at Great Yarmouth.

He was apparently drowned whilst on board a fishing vesel, presumably out of Grimsby. His widow had to put the 3 surviving children (all boys) into an orphanage as she could not afford to keep them. All 3 emigrated to New Zealand where their mother later joined them.

I would love to find out more about Edward and the circumstances regarding his death.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hello,
Could you tell me where you obtained the information that his death was registered in the December quarter of 1925 in the Grimsby registration district. I cannot find it. If he died at sea it would not be recorded in the general death records anyway. Unless his body was brought ashore or there was a doctor present ( highly unlikely ) at the time of death, then his demise should have been recorded in the Deaths at sea register.

Roger

narrowboatdave
15th November 2009, 18:09
Roger:

Sorry - December should read June. No idea where December came from!

Info about drowning came from his granddaughter in New Zealand - she says:
"Grandad Edward drowned whilst a crew member on a fishing boat in about 1925".

I have since traced death registration on FreeBMD to Grimsby.

Ron Stringer
15th November 2009, 18:51
Please may I cadge a lift on your thread?

In post #3 there is mention of a 'Deaths at Sea' register. Is there any such thing and, if so, where does it reside?

If there is a 'Deaths at Sea' register, is there a similar register for 'Births at Sea'? My interest comes about because my ggg-grandmother is recorded in a Census return as having been born 'At Sea, British Subject'. I haven't been able to find any further details and I'm at a loss to know where to start looking. Any knowledgeable genealogists out there?

Roger Griffiths
15th November 2009, 19:10
OK found the entry.
I would first of all obtain his Death Certificate. I assume you have the page and volume number
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017640

Lets see what that says and take it from there.

Roger

Roger Griffiths
15th November 2009, 19:16
Please may I cadge a lift on your thread?

In post #3 there is mention of a 'Deaths at Sea' register. Is there any such thing and, if so, where does it reside?

If there is a 'Deaths at Sea' register, is there a similar register for 'Births at Sea'? My interest comes about because my ggg-grandmother is recorded in a Census return as having been born 'At Sea, British Subject'. I haven't been able to find any further details and I'm at a loss to know where to start looking. Any knowledgeable genealogists out there?

Ron,
The Births at Sea register records births at sea from 1854 maybe after your GGG-Grandmothers DOB?

Roger

benjidog
15th November 2009, 20:19
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

narrowboatdave
15th November 2009, 20:48
Thanks Roger. I will get the Death certificate and see what it says and take it from there.

Where do I find the Deaths at Sea Registrations - are they online or is it a visit to an archive somewhere?

Ron Stringer
16th November 2009, 01:30
Ron,
The Births at Sea register records births at sea from 1854 maybe after your GGG-Grandmothers DOB?

Roger

Thank you for that, Roger. You are right, her DOB was 1830. Frustrating.