Ginger Beers and Leckies.

McMorine
16th November 2009, 16:41
I notice that there are an abundance of Deck Officers and Radio Officers on the Bank Line site, but where are all the ex Bank Line Engineers and Electricians? Surely there must be some out there, or are they not into computers?

robert moon
16th November 2009, 18:10
Hi,I must say that I see very few notes from Engineers or Electricians and must presume that the micro engineering age is not for most of them.
I only became comutor literate as a matter of survival in the more modern age,I had to keep my job.
Good luck,Robert.

surfaceblow
16th November 2009, 19:04
It could be that they are still working. I still get the odd phone call and e mails to do some voyage repair and ship yard spec writing.

Joe

JoeQ
17th November 2009, 13:29
I notice that there are an abundance of Deck Officers and Radio Officers on the Bank Line site, but where are all the ex Bank Line Engineers and Electricians? Surely there must be some out there, or are they not into computers?

Most of them can't read ...

Light blue touchpaper and stand well clear

eriskay
17th November 2009, 13:38
JoeQ :

Hope you have a good solicitor (A) !

McMorine
17th November 2009, 15:53
I was going to put in the old cliche about "Oil and Water" But I think "Illiterate" is a bit over the top. There's probably a few out there who might just "light the blue touch paper" after that comment.(Cloud)

Abbeywood.
17th November 2009, 16:29
The probable reason for the lack of 'G-b's and L' could possibly be because they are working, and not sitting on their backsides, gazing at the stars.

Here's some names to ponder.
Anybody know of an 'Aussie' Chief called Ian Dingle, who I personally sailed with in the 'Eastbank', (1963). Now living in Port Lincoln, SA.
His 'Missus' proved her worth during breakdowns, and was very adept at cutting joints, as required, and keeping the tea and coffee flowing. If she'd stuck at it she might even have made Chief herself.
Another Chief, in the 'Marabank' by the name of John Grant, a Scot, but nobody held that against him, 'Lecky' by the name of Jimmy Innes, from Stornoway, Fifth/Fourth Eng' Ken Palmer, from Keynsham.
Will think of some more later

ianian
17th November 2009, 16:52
There are plenty of engineers out there, and yes we are computer literate, and we can read and write [ Bloomin Cheek] trouble is I would write more but when checking the profile of some members , I find most of the chaps do not put down their proper names or what ships they sailed on, consequently, one does not know who one is talking too, you can check mine any time you like.

Kind Regards ianian [ Ian Shields]

R58484956
17th November 2009, 16:59
Ian, your white shoes look as through they could do with a clean, did you wear then down below, LOL

McMorine
17th November 2009, 17:02
Well said, Ian. I certainly agree with you, especially when it comes to identifying people. Best wishes Mac.

Pocket*trout
17th November 2009, 22:37
I was a "leckie" during the mid 70's until my voluntary redundancy in 79. I had no problem in finding a job in the power industry with my experience through the merchant navy. I spent the next 12 years with Powergen / CEGB until my redundancy again in 1992. I then moved on to the "Oil / Gas" industry in Libya & remained there for 4 Years. Of all my working time I felt that Merchant navy times were the best.
All the ships that I was on were the old DC ships that had all seen better days. How some of the motors managed to work was unbelievable as
the brushes would only last a couple of weeks before they had to be renewed. Rewinds were out of the question. These were done by shore-side & would only last a couple of days after leaving port. DC earth faults would always be a problem but would be dealt with where possible without disrupting things.

What I didn't understand was the "battery portable radio/cassette player" & how if you put the mains 220v DC across the batteries, it would make the cassette player work without blowing the batteries apart. I can only think that the batteries were being used as a dropper resistor

Ron Stringer
18th November 2009, 11:22
What I didn't understand was the "battery portable radio/cassette player" & how if you put the mains 220v DC across the batteries, it would make the cassette player work without blowing the batteries apart. I can only think that the batteries were being used as a dropper resistor

I always understood that the insertion of the mains connector into the radio operated contacts so as to break the battery circuit (isolating the batteries) and activate the internal ac connections.

Pocket*trout
18th November 2009, 13:55
I always understood that the insertion of the mains connector into the radio operated contacts so as to break the battery circuit (isolating the batteries) and activate the internal ac connections.

The DC mains went across the batteries not into the mains input. By putting 220v DC across the AC input would blow the internal transformer of the radio.

Ron Stringer
18th November 2009, 14:16
Apologies for that, misread the 220V as being AC not DC. My old Eddystone receiver had a big dropping resistor mounted high in its metal case. That had a centre-tap to allow 110/220V DC operation.

iain48
18th November 2009, 15:03
Done a few posts over past couple of years,although still sort of working find time to play with computer. (Iain McArthur 1st leckie Elmbank 1973/4.)
Didn't risk putting 220v into tape deck had a cable from telephone batteries in
aux.elect room opposite saloon, where batteries were located, to my cabin. I think the galley power was from the aux sw board board in there. That is how I remember it anyway also I think Gyro MG set in that room.

Brian.M
19th November 2009, 12:45
Done a few posts over past couple of years,although still sort of working find time to play with computer. (Iain McArthur 1st leckie Elmbank 1973/4.)
Didn't risk putting 220v into tape deck had a cable from telephone batteries in
aux.elect room opposite saloon, where batteries were located, to my cabin. I think the galley power was from the aux sw board board in there. That is how I remember it anyway also I think Gyro MG set in that room.

Nothing wrong with your memory Iain, thats how it was. ( Brian Morrissy C/Elect Elmbank 1962/3. ) Did not return to sea after leaving Bank Line but went into construction and project work. After 45 years or so of the electrical game, the last 20 years driving a desk, I had had enough and retired. Had a couple of tempting offers to go back due to a lack of experienced personnel at the time but realised that I was getting past it. Don't think I would last too long in the modern work enviroment, especially the WHS nonsense that abounds these days. After being retired for 10 years now I find that I have plenty of other activities to indulge in plus I can sleep in of a morning if I so desire.
Brian

simomatra
20th November 2009, 05:02
Ex Bati Wallah here myself and yes there are lots of Mystery Sahibs on here. I have found two of my ex ship mates, both ginger beers on here.

Last week end I was fortunate To have Gerry and Andrea visit after not seeing one another for over 30 years. Bought back many memories Thanks Andrea and Gerry.

Your turn next Ian we are ready for the visit when it happens.

One other thing from the past "Once upon a time I could not spell eng3256r but now I are one."

Still looking for lots of old ship mates from the good old days.

ernhelenbarrett
20th November 2009, 07:17
I sailed with Ian Dingle on the Mary Holyman,mostly on the Adelaide/Tasmania/Melbourne run for quite a while, he lived at Glenelg in those days, for the non-Aussies, thats a beach suburb of Adelaide and he used to wet his whistle in the Broadway Hotel at Glenelg, not far from his house. By the way for anyone interested he was also Chief Engineer on the Liverpool/Birkenhead Ferry for a while and could sing the tune "Ferry cross the Mersey" !! I didnt ken he had moved over to Port Lincoln though.
Regards Ern Barrett ex R/O Mary Holyman/GOSS/VJOS

Abbeywood.
20th November 2009, 12:49
I sailed with Ian Dingle on the Mary Holyman,mostly on the Adelaide/Tasmania/Melbourne run for quite a while, he lived at Glenelg in those days, for the non-Aussies, thats a beach suburb of Adelaide and he used to wet his whistle in the Broadway Hotel at Glenelg, not far from his house. By the way for anyone interested he was also Chief Engineer on the Liverpool/Birkenhead Ferry for a while and could sing the tune "Ferry cross the Mersey" !! I didnt ken he had moved over to Port Lincoln though.
Regards Ern Barrett ex R/O Mary Holyman/GOSS/VJOS

Thanks for the posting, Ern, (re I Dingle), Your info is more up to date than mine.
I last saw Ian in Port Lincoln in 1964, or 65, when I was in the Marabank and he came down to the ship, along with half of Port Lincoln, I think.
The ship was only in for a few hours before moving on to wonderful Wallaroo.
Once again many thanks and if you ever meet up with hims tell him Pete' Lambert sends his regards, as I do to you also.
Cheers PL

McMorine
20th November 2009, 12:58
A few Chief Engineers that I sailed with:-
1964/65 Sprucebank R.J. Stewart
1973 Cloverbank J.Budd
1974 Cloverbank A.Thomas
1974/75 Meadowbank F.Middleton
1975/76 Birchbank G.Tynemouth
1976/77 Cedarbank J.Mackay
1977 Corabank J.Hanover
1978 Crestbank D.B.Buck

Doubt that many, if any will still be with us, but some of you out there might have known them. Mac.

McMorine
20th November 2009, 14:48
I was a "leckie" during the mid 70's until my voluntary redundancy in 79. I had no problem in finding a job in the power industry with my experience through the merchant navy. I spent the next 12 years with Powergen / CEGB until my redundancy again in 1992. I then moved on to the "Oil / Gas" industry in Libya & remained there for 4 Years. Of all my working time I felt that Merchant navy times were the best.
All the ships that I was on were the old DC ships that had all seen better days. How some of the motors managed to work was unbelievable as
the brushes would only last a couple of weeks before they had to be renewed. Rewinds were out of the question. These were done by shore-side & would only last a couple of days after leaving port. DC earth faults would always be a problem but would be dealt with where possible without disrupting things.

In the 1950/60s, The old d.c. ships carried a spare armature and set of field coils for almost every main engine and aux'y pump motor. all were in lead lined wooden boxes. The Indian crew used to stash their contraband away in them, which caused a few problems for leckies when the customs rummage squad came onboard.

Pocket*trout
20th November 2009, 18:05
1973 Cloverbank J.Budd
1974 Cloverbank A.Thomas
1977 Corabank J.Hanover
1978 Crestbank D.B.Buck

Doubt that many, if any will still be with us, but some of you out there might have known them. Mac.

Sailed with F. Middleton "4 Bells middleton" or "honest Don " on the Hollybank in 1977. He was from Hull.

ianian
21st November 2009, 15:48
1973 Cloverbank J.Budd
1974 Cloverbank A.Thomas
1977 Corabank J.Hanover
1978 Crestbank D.B.Buck

Hi Mac,
Sailed with Jack Budd on Laganbank a good bloke and a pleasure to sail with I also sailed with Doug Buck and to be honest I had no time for him he had a enough arrogance for two of us, and not a very good engineer either, I was 3rd with Jack Budd and 2nd with Doug Buck I could say alot about Doug Buck but I have heard he is no longer with us and one should not speak ill of those who are no longer here and unable to defend their selves,on Olivebank with Buck .

Kind Regards

Ian

rabaul
21st November 2009, 22:18
I sailed on my first trip on the Meadowbank in 1975 with Don Middleton and his wife Nora - they were both good to me - maybe because I had been to Hull nautical college and they lived down the road in Keyingham.

rabaul
22nd November 2009, 00:42
picture of don middleton on the meadowbank crossing the line 1975 - nora his wife is behind him

McMorine
23rd November 2009, 11:29
Hi Rabaul, you must have joined the Meadowbank as we left. Signed off at Liverpool 6th May 1975. Mac.

rabaul
23rd November 2009, 20:13
Joined her in Drydock at Wallsend before setting off across the pond to Houston.

Strath101
27th November 2009, 11:01
1973 Cloverbank J.Budd
1974 Cloverbank A.Thomas
1977 Corabank J.Hanover
1978 Crestbank D.B.Buck

Sailed with Joe Hanover on the Meadowbank in 1976 but the photo below was taken when we visited another bankboat, Nairnbank comes to mind (Joe is on left of photo)

avonbank
28th November 2009, 21:56

On DC ships we wired a 220v lamp in series with the radio/cassette battery.
Also ran a cable up the Sampson Post for better radio reception.

Pocket*trout
29th November 2009, 08:02
On DC ships we wired a 220v lamp in series with the radio/cassette battery.
Also ran a cable up the Sampson Post for better radio reception.

I remember it now. The lamp went in series with the batteries & not direct across the batteries.
Those large GES lamps were also useful for TV reception.

Charlie Stitt
6th December 2009, 13:09
This is a photo of a younger Chief engineer Joe Hanover with M McIrvine 2nd Lecky in overalls. When ashore,Chief Hanover led me astray a couple of times while we were on the Far East run, I was 2nd Mate, but then we were both single men and free to enjoy ourselves.[=P]

rcraig
6th December 2009, 17:37
I know this is pushing it (and so am I) but would anyone be alive (but even if not their reply would still be welcome) who might know of a Chief from Aberdeen who was on the Eastbank in '54, possibly in his early '60's and reputed to be the most senior Chief in Bank Line? Name possibly Paterson. Can't add many more clues than that. Square, short tough nut and did not like the Old Man Capt. Holbrook(e). Had two legs? No?

Alistair Macnab
6th December 2009, 20:25
In the 1960s the Commodore Chief Engineer was Fred Gibbons resident in Durban who alternated between the "Isipingo" and the "Inchanga". He was very much an 'ancient mariner' as he was a junior on the "Isipingo" on her shakedown cruise around the Scottish Western Islands with Lord Inverforth and his guests before the ship was dispatched to the Indian African Line.
Old Gibby, as he was called, was a Welshman and actually had relatives in Argentina who had gone out to build and man the Argentinian railways or to run sheep estancias in Patagonia. His wife was very much a burra mem sahib!
I was a brand new Master on the "Roybank" and Gibby was my Chief Engineer in 1966. He was brought out of retirement to temporarily replace the late Bob Christie who was wanting relieved after a long maiden voyage. Actually I had sailed with Bob on the maiden voyage of the "Fleetbank" in 1953 so I was sorry to see him go..
Fortunately, I had also sailed with Gibby before on the "Inchanga" otherwise such an august personage as the Commodore Chief sailing with the newest Master might have been tromatic!

Charlie Stitt
8th December 2009, 13:17
This is a better photo of C/E Joe Hanover from W Hartlepool, when he was C/E of the Inverbank on her maiden voyage 1962/63, this was when the Doxford P type engine was something new, and for the first few months of that trip, many cracked liners were pulled and replaced. I also remember Chief Hanover trying to explain to me, something about an exhaust turbo ??? which was also unfamiliar to many at that time. The Engineers on that ship were first class as were the other Officers and Capt J Kemp, a great atmosphere prevailed for the 20 month duration of that trip, one of my favourites, many great memories of the mischievous things we got up to.(Thumb)

mackem
8th March 2010, 04:43
I sailed with Chief Eng, Andy Bottomley and 2/E, John Cowen on the Birchbank 1979 or it might have been the Pikebank/Tenchbank 1980 and 81.

Sorry guys, my memory is not as good as it should be.

Can anyone confirm or remember these chaps ?

Steve Harper
8th March 2010, 09:22
Chief Engineers I sailed with.
Lindenbank - J.J.Merrill (The Peril)
Pinebank - J.Maas
Willowbank - D.G.Todd
Rowanbank - D.McBride
Forresbank - J.L.Woolmer
Maplebank - J.Smellenck
Ernebank - A.Riley
Larchbank - D.G.Todd
Olivebank - J.Maas
Testbank - D.G.Todd
Fleetbank - D.Christmas (I think)
Hollybank - V.Taylor
Ivybank - L.C.Newton (Elsie)

All 1971 - 1980

Strath101
8th March 2010, 10:13
C/E’s sailed with

Sprucebank – William Powell - Richard Taylor
Shirrabank –Brian Bloundele - Trevor Cretney –
Avonbank – Jack Foster
Meadowbank – Joe Hanover - R Cox
Moraybank – Noel Snelikz – Bill Thomson
Forthbank – S Pearce – Alan Fairney

bones140
8th March 2010, 16:49
C/E’s sailed with

Sprucebank – William Powell - Richard Taylor
Shirrabank –Brian Bloundele - Trevor Cretney –
Avonbank – Jack Foster
Meadowbank – Joe Hanover - R Cox
Moraybank – Noel Snelikz – Bill Thomson
Forthbank – S Pearce – Alan Fairney

Strath, I understand tha Bill Thompson passed away some years ago. I sailed with him on the Willowbank and he was a gent.

simomatra
8th March 2010, 21:39
Chief Engineers I sailed with.
Lindenbank - J.J.Merrill (The Peril)
Pinebank - J.Maas
Willowbank - D.G.Todd
Rowanbank - D.McBride
Forresbank - J.L.Woolmer
Maplebank - J.Smellenck
Ernebank - A.Riley
Larchbank - D.G.Todd
Olivebank - J.Maas
Testbank - D.G.Todd
Fleetbank - D.Christmas (I think)
Hollybank - V.Taylor
Ivybank - L.C.Newton (Elsie)

All 1971 - 1980

Steve

John Woolmer is still donning his boiler suit and working on the tugs in Brisbane Australia. John will be 69 this year. John and I went to school together but never sailed together.

norman74
9th March 2010, 13:55

Hi, I sailed as 3rd Ginberbeer with BL early 60's mid 70,s and used to sign in with SN regally but only came across one member I new and had sailed with a second mate so I sort of lost interest plus my vision is very poor and don't like to do to much reading.
As regards Ginberbeers not writing in to SN maybe they don't wont any shore side mates (like me) knowing things about the wild wild life they used to lead..... Cheers Norman74.

simomatra
10th March 2010, 07:35
Another GTG this time with a friend who sailed on the Ashbank as a junior engineer.

We had a memorable GTG in Vizag when the ship I was on was along side and the Ashbank came alongside us for water. Alex Alderdice was he Chief Eng on the Ashbank I remember at that time.

His name is Ken Wright and hailed from Sydney and he and his wife are coming to stay at the end of the month.

Should be lots to talk about as its been awhile

Gone and posted in the wrong place again a mod needs to bail me out please

K urgess
10th March 2010, 11:33
I assume this is where you wanted it moving to, Bruce. (Thumb)

simomatra
10th March 2010, 21:43
I assume this is where you wanted it moving to, Bruce. (Thumb)

Many thanks again Kris (Thumb)(Thumb)

Steve Harper
12th March 2010, 11:05
Bruce. Thanks for that. So Bob has decided to make a career of it. Good for him.
I just hope that I'm not still sitting under rigs on the end of a cement hose at that age!

Ben Masey
12th March 2010, 13:32
Steve

John Woolmer is still donning his boiler suit and working on the tugs in Brisbane Australia. John will be 69 this year. John and I went to school together but never sailed together.

Hi,Have you got an email address for john Woolmer?
We were on the Teviotbank together and involved in a car crash in S.Shields with E/Super Geoff Flynn.We both had to pay off and he later came to stay at my house with his wife(Can't remember her name).
I had thought he'd left the company.
Regards,
Ben Masey

mackem
12th March 2010, 17:10
We were on the Teviotbank together and involved in a car crash in S.Shields with E/Super Geoff Flynn.We both had to pay off and he later came to stay at my house with his wife(Can't remember her name).
Regards,
Ben Masey

Hi Ben, I'm just wondering if you are from South Shields.

I knew a Masey family from the town and wondered if there's any connection.

John Dryden
12th March 2010, 23:42
Been trying to remember the C/Es I sailed with.First one I think his name was Fallon on the Olivebank,real jovial guy who smoked large cigars and never missed an opportunity to get his fishing rod out,he could catch anything and often landed strange specimens.
Next ship the Gowanbank was Charlie Cain,seem to remember him prowling about.I once got on the wrong side of him by opening my porthole.My apps. cabin was directly below his cabin and he heard me opening it,seconds later he flew in my cabin closed the porthole and then gave me a bollocking and a lecture on air conditioning and the effects of my porthole opening!Think he,d had a few!
Next ship Shirrabank the chief was Derek Hull,really good guy from N. Shields I think,he liked to get is boiler suit on and often did.

John Woolmer
15th March 2010, 13:39
Regards,
Ben Masey

Hi Ben
This is a blast from the past, I have just joined Ships Nostalgia on the recomendation of Bruce (Sam). Certainly a mixture of good information and memories. I am still working on a casual basis for one of the tug companies in Brisbane. I would like some more info on the bank Line Association. Please send me a private message with details.
Cheers. John

simomatra
15th March 2010, 17:53
Welcome aboard John, I hope you enjoy the past and catch up with some old friends. (Thumb)

R58484956
16th March 2010, 19:07
Greetings John and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Johnnietwocoats
17th March 2010, 06:12
Here is a photo of Johnnietwocoats Junior Apprentice and 4th Engineer Angus MacCraild from Skye on Christmas day on the Eastbank in 1960......

Anyone know him?

JTC(Smoke)

Johnnietwocoats
17th March 2010, 06:40
5th Engineer "Bell" from Eastbank 1960...Anyone know him?

Johnnietwocoats
17th March 2010, 06:47
First and 2nd Electricians....Fleetbank 1961

Johnnietwocoats
17th March 2010, 07:01
I know this a Ginger Beers or PIP's thread but I thought I'd throw in Apprentice George Phimster....Streambank 63/64...Anyone know him....JTC

Johnnietwocoats
17th March 2010, 07:13
Senior Electrician Streambank 63/64 putting the finishing touches to George Phimster (Appy). I think the other first tripper is a junior Engineer....JTC

Johnnietwocoats
17th March 2010, 19:18
Streambank 63/64...Two Electricians and an Engineer. That's me in the center with the Elvis look....LOL and George Phimster on the top right...

rcraig
17th March 2010, 21:00
Senior Electrician Streambank 63/64 putting the finishing touches to George Phimster (Appy). I think the other first tripper is a junior Engineer....JTC
Where were the fatties in those days?

Johnnietwocoats
18th March 2010, 10:12
Where were the fatties in those days?

I had thought of that a few times....There were no fatties in Bank Line....

Worked hard......Played hard.......and enjoyed the moment.....JTC(Smoke)

Winebuff
18th March 2010, 10:16
Only fat men I recall where a couple of Masters and one 2nd Eng. Maybe I should go back to sea to try and shed the extra 2 stone I put on in the last 25 years or so. Then again, maybe not.

Peter Smith
74-84

bobw
18th March 2010, 13:44
Welcome aboard John Woolmer. I was 2nd lecky with you on Nellore 1965/66. We got chased out of a joint in Manila at dawn one day. I went FOC after that trip, got fed up with one 2nd, Jack G you know who I mean. LOL

John Woolmer
27th April 2010, 03:39
Welcome aboard John Woolmer. I was 2nd lecky with you on Nellore 1965/66. We got chased out of a joint in Manila at dawn one day. I went FOC after that trip, got fed up with one 2nd, Jack G you know who I mean. LOL

Hi Bob
Thanks for the reminder. I will have to brouse a few photos to recall your image, however it was certainly an eventfull place to go ashore.

I stayed with E&A untill 1973 and then progressed to Bank Line till 1977. great times.

Regards. John

Ben Masey
6th May 2010, 15:33
Hi Ben
This is a blast from the past, I have just joined Ships Nostalgia on the recomendation of Bruce (Sam). Certainly a mixture of good information and memories. I am still working on a casual basis for one of the tug companies in Brisbane. I would like some more info on the bank Line Association. Please send me a private message with details.
Cheers. John

Hi John,
Long time as you say.Sorry I didnt answer before,seldom visit this thread.
For info on the association:brianlucy@btinternet.com he will give you my home email.They don't like you to send it on here!
Regards,
Ben

michael charters
6th May 2010, 21:48
Leckies always joked with the navigators, that they had picture post cards of coast lines so they were able to recognise ports, Little did they know we had Wiring diagrams etched on all our electrical gear. Us leckies are still about, What a change in technology we have seen. Electro Techs they are now called on ships? I remember having to show the films each week, splicing in mid run was fun, First job on board was to rig arieals to everyone cabin so transistor radios could receive. You could listen in to ship to shore Short wave. Much to the annoyance of private calls home.