Eugen Maersk

Succour
20th November 2009, 08:06
Watched a documentary on this ship being fitted with her main engine, shaft, and propeller. Some vessel. Amazing stuff.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=220503000

Succour

NoR
20th November 2009, 08:14
Succour: I was interested in the speed shown on the linked page.
Speed recorded (Max / Average): 13.6 / 11.5 knots
She must be capable of a lot more than that, so must be bumbling about at Econ Spd?

Succour
20th November 2009, 13:35
Yes Nor, I thought it a bit strange too.
Estelle Maersk has the following figures from the same source.

Speed recorded (Max / Average): 19.4 / 18.9 knots.

More like it I would have thought for this size of ship.
However I have been away from engine rooms for over 30 years.
Cheers.
Succour.

Peter B
20th November 2009, 13:45
The official figures for the eight vessels of this class are:
Service speed: 22,3 knots
Max. speed: 25,5 knots

@Succour: Was it the Discovery Channel documentary you saw? In that case you would have heard my voice on the radio, as I was operating the Goliath crane during some of the main engine assembly.

Succour
20th November 2009, 15:26
Peter B.
Very nice indeed to hear from you. Yes it was the Discovery channel programme that we got here in Malaysia. I do remember your voice on the radio, during what looked to be a very heavy lift. May I congratulate you and your teamates on the success of your endeavours. The prop shaft lift at an angle with two cranes was also an impressive piece of work.
Malaysia has a Container terminal at Westport located near what was formerly known as Port Klang.
Do you know if any of these magnificent Maersk vessels will be coming this way, as I have a friend who works at the terminal and could maybe get me in to see the vessels.
Thank you again I really enjoyed the story.
Succour.

Peter B
20th November 2009, 20:30
The prop shaft lift at an angle with two cranes was also an impressive piece of work.
Sometimes these shaft segments (takes quite a few to form a 140 m shaft) were installed by means of the Goliath crane, using two of its main hoists. This ensures a more smooth operation, for a number of reasons. The fact that the entire lift is controlled by one operator instead of two is just part of this. The Goliath cranes ability to synchronize the movements of two or more hoists by means of computer control, and the fact that this crane can move its hoists strictly along the longitudinal or transverse axis of the vessel being built, are other major factors.

Malaysia has a Container terminal at Westport located near what was formerly known as Port Klang.
Do you know if any of these magnificent Maersk vessels will be coming this way, as I have a friend who works at the terminal and could maybe get me in to see the vessels.Apparently this class of vessels does not call at Port Klang, but other Maersk vessels does. Take a look at this page:
https://www.maerskline.com/link/?page=home
Enter Emma Maersk in the "Search Vessel schedules" field to see where these vessels call (you must expand the shown period to reflect a full rotation).
On the webpage that you're then on, you can also search "by port" (upper left corner). Enter Port Klang to see which vessels call there. This will give you a list of vessels with their date and time of call, as well as the specific terminal (Westport / Northport).
Only some of the vessels are Maersk vessels; the rest are working in cooperation with Maersk. As for the Maersk vessels, you can find information about them here:
https://www.maerskline.com/link/?page=brochure&path=/our_services/vessels

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers, Peter

Succour
22nd November 2009, 04:12
Thank you for the information I look forward to seeing one of the vessels at Westport. Nearby the terminal is the Port Klang Free Zone which is currently under investigation by the MACC Malaysian Anti Corruption Commission for excessive construction costs. Nearly 5 times the original estimate. The Malaysian Chinese (MCA) association are in turmoil over allegations of graft.
The 3 Scorpene submarines bought from the French is also another case where the finances are shrouded in mystery. You can read more at Asia Sentinel.
Succour.