greenhorn

kittijay
21st November 2009, 20:51
hullo. What a web site! Bringing back many memories. I was sparks. First 3 trips on Salaga, Capt. Murphy, I remember him as a very good seaman and greatly respected, he ran a happy ship. My senior RO was Gary Jones, believe he was a boy on the training ship in Menai Straits. I wanted to be Deck or Engineroom but poor eyes and asthma took me to sea (very lucky to pass a medical!) the only way I could get there. Ended on Degema 1965, a horrendous trip in many departments, more another time.

K urgess
21st November 2009, 20:54
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
Plenty of us knocking about and a fully fitted radio room to play in.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

bert thompson
21st November 2009, 20:57
Welcome and look forward to your postings
Best wishes
Bert.

kittijay
21st November 2009, 21:06
hullo, just saying thanks for the welcome and hit the wrong key and wipeout. Anyway, I saw a pic. of my old radioroom on the Degema yesterday and couldn't quite believe it! I am pretty uncertain at navigating around this site so may make a few b'ups. I have this new illness callled A.G.E.
Martin.

kittijay
21st November 2009, 21:08
Welcome and look forward to your postings
Best wishes
Bert.

Thanks Bert. I'm in the good old madhouse of Kent on the Thames estuary (can.t see any ships, only windturbines!) Martin

kittijay
22nd November 2009, 18:22
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
Plenty of us knocking about and a fully fitted radio room to play in.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

Hullo again. Been rummaging around in the website, found it hard to find my 'say hello' msg. but realise it is in the ED's section. Wonder why it isn,t on the main forum but there is so much to look at, it seems unimportant. I can't believe how many folk are members and viewing at the same time!! Thanks. Martin.

benjidog
22nd November 2009, 18:47
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

kittijay
23rd November 2009, 20:21
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

Y
Thanks Brian, This is fascinating stuff, my mind has been racing back to radio college and thinking of miriads of things from the past. I hope that is good for one's health!!!!! Regards.
Martin

Marperita
23rd January 2010, 13:44
hullo. What a web site! Bringing back many memories. I was sparks. First 3 trips on Salaga, Capt. Murphy, I remember him as a very good seaman and greatly respected, he ran a happy ship. My senior RO was Gary Jones, believe he was a boy on the training ship in Menai Straits. I wanted to be Deck or Engineroom but poor eyes and asthma took me to sea (very lucky to pass a medical!) the only way I could get there. Ended on Degema 1965, a horrendous trip in many departments, more another time.

Hi Martin, When in 1965 where you in Degema? I made my First trip 2E in May 1965. It was an un-pleasant trip. The C/E signed-off on the coast when we were still outward bound. My memory of that trip is of wall-to-wall engineering problems. More than 40 years later, unhappilly I remember nothing of the mates or sparky. Could the latter have been you?
All the best, John Stocker

R58484956
23rd January 2010, 15:05
Greetings Martin and a warm welcome to SN. Non voyage.