Sand Swallow

Degzie
23rd November 2009, 19:48
Hi
Can anyone tell me what happened to unilevers (UML) Grab dredger Sand Swallow.
I worked with her at Heysham in the late 70's doing the power station intakes.
If I remember correctly she was then replaced by a more modern Sand Swallow 2 which was later sold when Bromborough Dock closed.
Thanks in advance
Degzie

KEITH SEVILLE
23rd November 2009, 20:35
Degzie

There where three dredgers with that name;-

Sand Swallow - Grab Dredger - Built 1924 - Later sold.
Sand Swallow 11 - Grab Dredger - Built Northwich 1947 - Broken up at New Holland 2003. This is the vessel which I think you mean.
Sand Swallow 111 - Grab Dredger - Built 1966 - IMO:6601040 - Sold 1996
to Baltic Dredging (Ship Managers), put under the Danish Flag and still operating as Kristina Hoj.
Gross Tonnage:639 Deadweight:711.

Regards
Keith

Degzie
24th November 2009, 08:21
Hi Keith
Thank you for your quick reply. you are right the sand swallow 2 is the one i know. If i remember correctly the engineer was someone called Roy/Ray Cannell and i think Mick Carrier was one of the skippers. I have had a look at a photo of the Kristina Hoj yes she was the Sand swallow 3. Do you know if any photos exsist for the Sand Swallow 2?
Thanks Again
Degzie

KEITH SEVILLE
24th November 2009, 11:34
Degzie

There was a photo of Sand Swallow 11 put on this site about two to three months ago, suggest you do a search.

Regards
Keith

Degzie
24th November 2009, 14:33
Thanks for that keith
I have located the Photos in the gallery
regards
Degzie

Tugengineer1959
20th November 2012, 13:40
I recently surveyed the ex sand swift in the Azores, would this be from the same company, she's in a poor state but salvagable, looked like been a good ship in her day.

A.D.FROST
20th November 2012, 13:53
I recently surveyed the ex sand swift in the Azores, would this be from the same company, she's in a poor state but salvagable, looked like been a good ship in her day.

Quite a few dredgers have the prefix SAND (for obvious reasons) but not necessary belong to the same company.SAND SWIFT(ATLANTIAREIA) belonged to South Coast Shg./RMC. and were all suction dredges,the SAND SWALLOWwas a grab dredger.(Thumb)

Tugengineer1959
20th November 2012, 14:54
Thanks for that, I'm not a dredger man but I was impressed with the huge engine room and the accomodation was spacious too compared to some of the modern vessels I've sailed on, seems like we've gone backwards in the crewquarters design, best regards

Stevie B
20th November 2012, 17:49
The Sand Swift was converted from a stick dredger to a trailer in Penzance around 2000.

Went onboard while I was there on the Donald Redford which was in dry dock at the time, she had been laid up for a while but was in good condition and the accommodation was in very tidy.

There was 4 of that class, Sand Swan, Swift, Skua and Serin. Was AB on all of them in the 70's and Captain on the Skua which was by then called the Norstone for about 7 years until 2008.

The Norstone is still sailing around the Solent.

Degzie
20th November 2012, 19:37
The Sand Swan is laid up in Liverpool for the time being until repairs are carried out to put her back in class before she can sail, as she is now owned by BalticMarine investment.
Looking at the Equasis site and their long list of repairs required be fore she can leave the dock, i would say she is fit for the Scrap Yard!
Degzie