Ardlui

Landour
7th October 2005, 18:22
Ardlui in her Trident Tanker days

Doug Rogers
7th October 2005, 23:11
What happened to them?...I lost track a few years after I left P&O.

Ian Menzies
11th October 2005, 12:57
Not sure but I would especially like to know, particularly after reading of the adventures of Captain Basil on the Ardshiel!

davierh
11th October 2005, 15:10
Hope this may be of some help.
Do you require dimensions of these ships?
Arduli
EX.1981: Elpida; 1983: Pidias,
Was scrapped in July 1983
Ardshield
EX.1977: Marakanda
Scrapped Taiwan April 1980
Ardtaraig
EX.1979: Kypros
Scrapped in July 1983
Regards Richard.

Landour
11th October 2005, 20:08
I was sailing as a junior engineer on Ardshiel when she was handed over to the new Greek owners at Tilbury at the end of February 1977. It came as a bit of a shock to be told she was sold as we approached the UK fully load from the Gulf. Nobody had any idea that P&O was intent on getting rid of its large tankers. They were nice ships to sail on though you didn't see much of the world.
It became a bit of a joke in the fleet that every ship I sailed on either ended up sold, scrapped or nearly sinking.

Doug Rogers
12th October 2005, 05:32
Shame, none of them lasted to be old vessels from the looks of the above. Still I suppose they made a good profit for the Company in their time!!.
My trip on the Ardlui was certainly an experience, one of the most disastrous I have ever experienced in my seagoing days...but thats another story!!.

Doxfordman
13th October 2005, 00:15
I seem to remember the "big Ards" had a lot of boiler problems??? might have just been rumours around the fleet?

Doug Rogers
13th October 2005, 02:53
No I think you are right, thats my memory as well, and I think one them had major boiler problems off the South African and was lucky not to go aground.

RIXXON
18th April 2007, 16:26
No I think you are right, thats my memory as well, and I think one them had major boiler problems off the South African and was lucky not to go aground.

I think it was the "ardshield" or are I wrong about that?