Incident on QE2 - Xmas Day 1979 or maybe 1980

Peter Eccleson
24th November 2009, 20:33
Does anyone remeber Xmas Day (think it was 1979 but possibly 1980 - will have to check my discharge book) on the QE2 when the doors on one of the condensers was opened off the Grand Banks en passage to NY. Apparently a sea valve was blocked with mussels and didnt close totally. This caused the sea to come puring into the boiler room at a phenominal rate.
Happened while we were eating Xmas dinner.
I recall every available crew member in the engine room lending a hand with the chippies to baulk up the door so the mechanics could get the nuts tightened up. The Chief and the mechanics were up to thier waist in water. Passengers never knew a thing! Could have been embarrassing......... (Thumb)

Ron Stringer
24th November 2009, 20:43
Apparently a sea valve was blocked with muscles and didnt close totally.

Don't knock the mussels, Peter. Just had moules mariniere, frites and a bottle of Muscadet at the Chelmsford Loch Fyne restaurant. Haven't eaten better moules anywhere in France or Belgium. Pity about the bread not being up to French standards, but you can't have everything.

Billieboy
24th November 2009, 20:54
Don't talk about mussels, was on a tanker one afternoon when she ran a "bit close", to a mussel bank and all the lights went out, as the T/As tripped, took 36 hours to get rid of all the shell.

Peter Eccleson
25th November 2009, 17:50
Ron

Love 'em myself......but the offending mussels were of the 'Marchwood' variety and not French.I think the little blighters were trying to get into the USA without a valid visa!

Garry Lyon
1st September 2010, 13:52
Peter, I remember the incident as though it were yesterday as I was working in the turbo alternator room when the incident took place. The brilliant idea to back flush the condenser seemed like a good idea at the time but as you say this incident really could have cost the ship and crew dearly. I was one of those soaked to the skin trying to fit stud bar to the doors in order to close it, if memory serves me correctly the bilge levels were getting really interesting by then.

Peter Eccleson
4th October 2010, 01:10
Gary
Just got back to this thread.....forgot all about it! Wow, good to hear that I didn't dream it! At the time I don't think anyne realised the seriousness but it all looked pretty scary looking intothe engineroom with chippies etc running round with lengths of timber trying to stop the water getting in. Would have made quite a headline had it not been stemmed........ lifeboats on a foggy, flat calm Christmas Day and no QE2. Doesn't bear thnking about.

Derek Roger
4th October 2010, 01:57
If you like mussels the best are Prince Edward Isalnd Blues . Grown on a rope and no sand in them . Steam them with a little water ; some white wine and a bit of chopped up onion .

That with some nice fresh bread and some Canadian cheese and perhaps a glass of wine .

Happy Days Derek

spongebob
4th October 2010, 05:05
Mussel farms in Coromandel NZ grow them on hawsers hanging vertically into the sea from pontoons. At harvest time they are lifted out of the water looking like a mile long bunch of bananas and about as big. Delicious!

Bob

tom sheriff
4th October 2010, 06:45
during my apprenticeship with Harland & Wolff at Surrey Docks, we serviced the dredgers of the Port of London Authority; due to the conditions they wotked under their condensers quickly became silted up, in addition latex objects {for some reason reffered to as "Noddies" would catch on to the end of the tubes. This was a job that was usually given to the youngest apprentice.