Maltese Cross

ALAN TYLER
25th November 2009, 15:55
Having been looking through my Houlders history books, there,s one thing I find strange. There appears to be no mention of why the Maltese Cross was chosen for the funnel or house flag. Houlders did have a ship called the Maltese Cross but it wasn,t the first to have the Cross on its funnel. Anyone out there who can solve this?

tridentport
25th November 2009, 17:29
The Ramsey SS Company also have the Maltese Cross on their funnels. Try this link http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/133633/cpage/1#poststart
If you can unravel the mystery a bottle of scotch is up for grabs.
Regards, Alan.

non descript
25th November 2009, 17:40
Alan and Alan,

The bottle remains in the cellar and awaiting its rightful owner..... or put another way, the origin of the Maltese Cross remains a total mystery.
(Thumb)
Mark

Ron Stringer
25th November 2009, 18:50
There has been correspondence on the site before about the Houlders houseflag, pointing out that it is not a Maltese Cross (as used by the Knights Templar/Knights of St. John). See below - the smaller of the two is the Maltese Cross (on the left).

vasco
25th November 2009, 19:27
There has been correspondence on the site before about the Houlders houseflag, pointing out that it is not a Maltese Cross (as used by the Knights Templar/Knights of St. John). See below - the smaller of the two is the Maltese Cross (on the left).

Quite right Ron, it is just our affectionate nickname for such a distinguished looking House Flag/Funnel.

Oops, just remembered they made me redundant 28 years ago and there is no need for me to say such boot licking remarks anymore!(Jester) :confused:

non descript
25th November 2009, 22:42
....Oops, just remembered they made me redundant 28 years ago and there is no need for me to say such boot licking remarks anymore!(Jester) :confused:

Ah….but 28 years ago the fine upstanding and wholly worthwhile Houlders, had been under the control of TBFW for some while and indeed in April 1980 'others' had been at the helm, having taken over from them…. but being nice, I make not comment about either of those two… (Jester)

vasco
26th November 2009, 10:16
Ah….but 28 years ago the fine upstanding and wholly worthwhile Houlders, had been under the control of TBFW for some while and indeed in April 1980 'others' had been at the helm, having taken over from them…. but being nice, I make not comment about either of those two… (Jester)

My apologies to Houlders, I had completely forgotten about FW, unusual really as I tend to remember the bad times more than the good.

I was offerred a transfer to CY Tung but decided the added bonus of having my ashes shipped home didn't really meet with my aspirations. Ended up in Sanko,where, to be perfectly honest, life was much more relaxing.

ALAN TYLER
27th November 2009, 12:53

HI Ron, Sorry for getting my Crosses wrong. What Cross did I sail under for 17 years? Alan T.

vasco
27th November 2009, 16:01
HI Ron, Sorry for getting my Crosses wrong. What Cross did I sail under for 17 years? Alan T.

The right one?!