John Brewer - floating hotel

Jan Hendrik
8th October 2005, 05:38
This floating Hotel, designed by Consafe-Sweden, was built by Bethlehem Shipyard in Singapore back in 1986 and to some degree I was following the construction period.
The AUD 33 million, 5 star , 7 storey hotel was anchored off the Great Barrier Reef in Australia in Feb 1987.
It was operational a year later and this project must have a mention in Guiness Book of records on the number of environmental studies being issued and written on one single matter.
Financial problems forced it to close down and it was then moved to Ho Chi Minh City.
I think it operates under the name Bassac.
Length 89 metres, width 28 metres, weight: 6,500 Tons.
There were a number of pontoons as well including tennis courts etc which nearly doubled theweight when this entire cargo was shipped to Vietnam by “Mighty Servant-2 “ of Dockwise.
Any further particulars about her current situation welcome.
(picture - hi 03-88)

Jan Hendrik
8th October 2005, 05:50
And just in case you are interested in floating hotels, then hereby a picture of one such structure in Amsterdam, next door to the Central Station, called BOTEL. Not as glamerous as the ex John Brewer one, nevertheless if you book a room, then you are "floating" on the "IJ", the latter being the river in Amsterdam.

kenbales2004
16th June 2007, 21:51
Was named "Saigon Floating Hotel" and operated there, very succesfully, until Vietnamese authorities pulled it's license sometime in 1999 (not absolutely sure about date, but will check).
Semco Salvage (Singapore) was given contract to tow it to Singapore.
It was towed from centre of Saigon into main river and loaded onto submersible barge Semco Giant VI and whole lot towed to Semco's yard in Benoi Basin, Singapore.
It was laid along side yard undergoing refit with talk of contract as hotel in Palau Island, but this fell through.
After being laid up for approx 2 years negotiations started with South Korean government to use as transit hotel on North / South Korean border for South Koreans visiting North. But worsening relations stopped this.
Was eventually towed from Singapore but i don't know where it ended up.
Bear with me a few days and I will try to find out more.

Ken Bales

trotterdotpom
17th June 2007, 11:02
And just in case you are interested in floating hotels, then hereby a picture of one such structure in Amsterdam, next door to the Central Station, called BOTEL. Not as glamerous as the ex John Brewer one, nevertheless if you book a room, then you are "floating" on the "IJ", the latter being the river in Amsterdam.

In the early '70s there was another one in about the same postion called "The Mermaid" - think it was much smaller than this one but quite comfortable. When SSM were converting their ships engines from Ruston AOs to Werkspoors, some of the ship's staff stayed there.

John T.

PS Dont' forget, even earlier, ex Anchor Line's "Caledonia" - Hippy Central.

gdynia
17th June 2007, 11:15
Did it not eventually end up in Cambodia

Coastie
18th June 2007, 03:43

Where's that then, Jan? I might be visiting Amsterdam in November for the Radio Day, so might see about staying there.

ruud
18th June 2007, 07:30
Ahoy Coastie,
Here a link to the "Botel",prices abt. €100 a night now,in november abt. € 78:
http://www.hotels.nl/amsterdam/botel/ (http://www.hotels.nl/amsterdam/botel/)

kenbales2004
18th June 2007, 19:12
Jan

Did some checking with guy in our office.

See photo's posted Special Vessels for "Saigon Floating Hotel".

Was taken from Ho Chi Minh city by Semco April/May 1997.
Laid up until 200 at Semco yard in Benoi Basin.
Bought by Hyundia Merchant Marine (HMM) adn dry-towed to Kumgang Bya North Korea for use by visiting South Korean tourists.

Present location unknown but may well still be in North Korea.

Ken Bales

Jan Hendrik
19th June 2007, 09:04
Coastie, this botel is a good location, walking distance to the Railway Station (under refurbishment) and to the centre of Amsterdam (yes also the centre where pink is a favourite colour....)
Have a good time in November.
Jan

Thanks for the info Ken.

Coastie
23rd June 2007, 13:33
Ahoy Coastie,
Here a link to the "Botel",prices abt. €100 a night now,in november abt. € 78:
http://www.hotels.nl/amsterdam/botel/ (http://www.hotels.nl/amsterdam/botel/)

Hmm, maybe not!! Still, it's not too bad a price. Would only be staying one night anyway.

Jan Hendrik
24th June 2007, 01:45
The original ideas about floating hotels go back to the early 80's and Consafe of Sweden built their first one in 1982/83 I think and hereby a picture of their initial concept.
Jan

anthony lear
6th July 2007, 10:06
I stayed in (on?) the hotel back in the 80s when doing some business in Vietnam,
Never forget the first night, I was dog tired after a nightmare flight down from Hanoi, and the phone kept ringing with some woman offering her services. And she wouldn't take no for an answer.I left the phone off the hook only to discover that this automatically triggered an on-line howler of enormous volume. I had to bury the phone under all the cushions and pillows in the room to get some sleep.
I went ballistic next morning and the manager apologized and said he couldn't understand it as there were no local women allowed on board at night and no calls from ashore could get directly through to the rooms. Anyway he gave me a magnum of champagne and bowls of free fruit etc to ease the anger. He also told me it was the first time he'd had this problem, mostly he got slagged off by guest for not allowing them to bring hookers on board!
The mystery was solved a couple of days later. I was informed the culprit wasn't in fact a woman but one of those borderline cases common in SE Asia, and that She was listed as a he and worked in the laundry.
lucky escape
tony lear

Hans C Christensen
24th November 2009, 09:42
Saigon Floating Hotel I was working on it in Singapore for 3 month in 1987 my company deliwerd all equipment for air conditioning and ventilation I did the commissioning.

R58484956
24th November 2009, 15:09
Greetings Hans and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Jack2
5th July 2010, 19:45
It was really nice to see John Brewer again. Any idea is the hotel operational now. Has it left Vietnam.

Jack
Shipping UK (http://www.bidtoship.co.uk/)

Burned Toast
5th July 2010, 20:35

Stayed their for a few day's was Ok and central.(Pint)

kfo9494
8th February 2011, 00:58
Jan

Did some checking with guy in our office.

See photo's posted Special Vessels for "Saigon Floating Hotel".

Was taken from Ho Chi Minh city by Semco April/May 1997.
Laid up until 200 at Semco yard in Benoi Basin.
Bought by Hyundia Merchant Marine (HMM) adn dry-towed to Kumgang Bya North Korea for use by visiting South Korean tourists.

Present location unknown but may well still be in North Korea.

Ken Bales

Thought I would pass this on-- The floating hotel, which is called Haegeumgang, as of October 2010 was still in Kumgang Bay. Was in Mt Kumgang doing tech work for our company. I asked our government minder about the hotel and he said that it is used for tourist to the resort located near the hotel. We only drove passed the hotel and never got within 200 meters but it was in need of repair.
When we got to the mountain resort (kinda like a golf course with houses used by government officials) I asked one of the workers about the floating hotel and he advised that in the summer the hotel is used for army officers on holiday. The hotel is usually dark with no visitors.
I did not see ( and I really was not looking) but the way the place needed paint- I did not see any tennis courts. Just a odd place needing repair.

Mish
6th February 2012, 13:30
I used to work on the floating hotel, when it was anchored on the Great Barrier Reef in Townsville, and I tracked it to Korea, and it is now called Haegeumgang and looks like it is still in korea. I found a photo of it - copy this link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mytripsmypics/5117149686/

Travelingman
11th March 2013, 07:33
I used to work on the floating hotel, when it was anchored on the Great Barrier Reef in Townsville, and I tracked it to Korea, and it is now called Haegeumgang and looks like it is still in korea. I found a photo of it - copy this link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mytripsmypics/5117149686/

We were contracted to do some of the fitout and was there for the attempted opening twice, still can't believe they have never found 2 of the pools and a tennis court

Julian Calvin
11th March 2013, 16:22
Just an update on the Sunborn (ex London floating hotel)
After four years languishing in Lagos, she was loaded onto a dock ship just before Christmas and taken away. Rumour has it to the Far East.
Would hate to imagine the condition onboard.
She had been moored alongside an unused pier with no services during her time in Lagos. However, people were living onboard. Perhaps the toilets were used and vessel finally had to move when these filled.
Vessel had arrived fully furnished as a floating hotel and restaurant. Cannot imagine what was left when she departed.

poseidon9
16th April 2013, 14:49
So, the Lagos floating hotel should be by now somewhere in a new destination. Maybe they refurbish the vessel for a new role as a hotel or accommodation vessel.