RFA's in the Falklands

tidespring82
29th November 2009, 14:22
I have returned to Ships Nostalgia after a few years away and am glad to be back. With another ex RFA colleague I run a historical website www.historicalrfa.org.

We are attempting to record every person who was a part of the crew of an RFA ship during the Falklands conflict, to date we have had a good response and the data base is taking shape but we ned your help please. If you served on an RFA or know of anyone who served on an RFA during this period, then I wouold very much appreciate a message with the details, name, rank and ship.

As well as RFA personnel we are also recording RN, RM,STON and Army personnel as long as they were embedded as part of the crew.

The official records for this period do not exist anymore and we would like to record this important part of the RFA's history before it disapears forever.

Klaatu83
29th November 2009, 16:03
Regarding the RFA in the Falklands, you might be interested in this item that appeared a few days ago in the London Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article6933859.ece

Lancastrian
29th November 2009, 16:16
Yes its already been posted here - http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=30557

Marcus C. Smith
29th November 2009, 16:52
I have returned to Ships Nostalgia after a few years away and am glad to be back. With another ex RFA colleague I run a historical website www.historicalrfa.org.

We are attempting to record every person who was a part of the crew of an RFA ship during the Falklands conflict, to date we have had a good response and the data base is taking shape but we ned your help please. If you served on an RFA or know of anyone who served on an RFA during this period, then I wouold very much appreciate a message with the details, name, rank and ship.

As well as RFA personnel we are also recording RN, RM,STON and Army personnel as long as they were embedded as part of the crew.

The official records for this period do not exist anymore and we would like to record this important part of the RFA's history before it disapears forever.

ALL RFAs or just those actually involved in the conflict? I have noticed this request in several areas but it still remains slightly ambiguous.

tidespring82
29th November 2009, 16:57
ALL RFAs or just those actually involved in the conflict? I have noticed this request in several areas but it still remains slightly ambiguous.

Marcus, just the 22 ships involved in the actual conflict.

patmbond
18th December 2009, 14:15
I had a quick look at the historical RFA website but I could not find the falklands bit??

Pat Bond

tidespring82
19th December 2009, 15:45
Pat, we are still working on the Database and when it is reasonablly complete, or as complete as we can get it then it will be posted on our website and hopefully it might jog a few more memories and we can finish the project.

To date we have complete crew lists for four ships and the rest are in various stages of completion, we are getting new information on a daily basis though some of it is unusable until we get more data, the bottom line is that this database should provide important information in time for the 30th Anniversary of the Falklands and will be in a position to give individual ships crew lists to anyone who would like one.(Smoke)

Lancastrian
20th December 2009, 10:14
In the meantime, there is a photographic record HERE (http://rfaaplymouth.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=24)

tidespring82
20th December 2009, 15:22
Thank you for that Lancastrian but we have bundles of photographs, many of them unique

What we are looking for are names, ranks and the ships they served on, that way we can record a unique piece of RFA History that will hopefully be a lasting reminder for those who served on RFA ships in the Falklands and when that is eventually done we will move on to other Post World War 2 conflicts that the RFA have been involved with, a lot of the information we have already from a variety of sources.

RFA Historical also has a very extensive Roll of Honour, a list of those who won Awards or Decorations during their time serving with the RFA and we are now working with a couple of leading authorities to record a comprehensive list of every single ship that served in the fleet from 1905, all of which will be made readily available to anyone visiting our website.(Frogger)

Billieboy
20th December 2009, 15:26
In the meantime, there is a photographic record HERE (http://rfaaplymouth.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=24)

Interesting photos Lancastrian, but I couldn't find EBUNA in the STUFT section!

Klaatu83
20th December 2009, 15:34
Regarding the RFA in the Falklands, you might be interested in the following book. It covers both the Merchant Navy and RFA contributions to the success of the Falklands campaign.

"Merchant Ships at War: The Falklands Experience"
by Captain Roger Villar
Published 1984 by Conway Maritime Press
24 Bride Lane, Fleet Street, London, EC4Y 8DR

tidespring82
20th December 2009, 15:40
Klaatu 83 thank you very much for that I will order a copy from my library.(Thumb)

Lancastrian
20th December 2009, 20:07
Interesting photos Lancastrian, but I couldn't find EBUNA in the STUFT section!

Presume you mean the Shell tanker EBURNA. The collection makes no claims to be complete. You send it, I'll add it!

Billieboy
21st December 2009, 06:23
Yes, thats it, sorry for the spelling, I don't have a photo, did a bit of repair work and spares supply, before and after. She had a really good bar on board.

tidespring82
24th December 2009, 08:21
Just a quick note to let all of you know who have helped in this project, we now have four complete crew lists and the others are startting to come together. Thank you to all those people who took the time to help fill in some of the information and the compliments of the season to all, and I hope you all have a peaceful and prosperous New Year.

I will continue working on this project until all of the lists are complete, so I look forward to hearing from anyone with names and ships.(POP)

TARBATNESS
27th December 2009, 17:37

I was the Second Officer in RFA SIR TRISTRAM during the Falklands War. Other Deck Officers were Captain Robin Green, Chief Officer Alan Roach, Second Officer Gary Wilson, Third Officer Bill Mabbot and Third Officer Neil Barclay. Deck Cadet Mark Hurley, First Radio Officer David Palin, Secnd Radio Officer Robin Hookham and Second Radio Officer Barry Hayes are other names I recall. Fourth Engineer Maurice Ambrose and Fourth Engineer Robin Bailey. I will pass on any names I remember.

Shaun

Lancastrian
28th December 2009, 09:43
The rest are HERE (http://rfaaplymouth.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=3378) Shaun.