Discovery

Bob S
8th October 2005, 18:53
Operated by BT Marine, the Luxembourg registered cableship DISCOVERY is seen outward bound passing Tilbury on the 17th February 1993.
Built 1990
8248 grt

tom nicholson
9th October 2005, 17:24
Hi bob
i am almost certain that the DISCOVERY is now running for STOLT offshore serving the oil industry she was in wallsend drydocks about four years ago and she was under the stolt funnel marking .
cheers tom

gdynia
18th November 2005, 21:21
Tom
Thats correct shes with Stolt now sailed on her several times and is painted in Stolt Livery

Jeff Egan
19th November 2005, 12:26
This ship was a regular on the Tyne my records show that I Piloted her 28 times.

daveskents
20th November 2005, 17:23
She was on the Tyne this week in our dock at Hebburn for thruster repairs

sam2182sw
19th February 2006, 18:57
hi she is now being repainted in the new colours of the new company ACERGY SAM

RayJordandpo
26th February 2006, 23:35
Tom
Thats correct shes with Stolt now sailed on her several times and is painted in Stolt Livery
Is Andy Apopleby still old man on her?
Ray Jordan

gdynia
27th February 2006, 04:56
Roy
He was last year when I saw her last the other Captain Dougie Young moved into Office. Its still Stolts with a different name of company

tom nicholson
27th February 2006, 17:17
Was Onboard Her About 4 Years Ago In Lieth Andy Was Old Man On Her Then,first Met Andy On Chiryu When We Converted Her At Smiths Dock What A Great Bloke.
Cheers Tom (*))

Clint
28th February 2006, 11:56
Discovery just signed a big contract to work in Brasil back end of this year.

RayJordandpo
28th February 2006, 17:04
Was Onboard Her About 4 Years Ago In Lieth Andy Was Old Man On Her Then,first Met Andy On Chiryu When We Converted Her At Smiths Dock What A Great Bloke.
Cheers Tom (*)) Thanks Tom. Andy and I go back a long way, We were together on the dive support vessel 'Ugland Comex1' Talking of Smiths dock, I was on the 'Flexservice 3' being lengthened there many years ago. Her sister ship 'Northern Installer' (ex 'UC1') went to Norway to be lengthened at the same time. Certain cynics were casting doubts over the wisdom of choosing Smiths. Guess what! after refit she was like a new ship, an excellent job whereas the 'Northern Installer' had all sorts of problems with leaks, vibration, cavitation etc. As I pointed out at the time the first ship ever to be lengthened was at Sunderland (although I may stand corrected on that one)
Cheers Ray Jordan

gdynia
28th February 2006, 17:08
Thanks Tom. Andy and I go back a long way, We were together on the dive support vessel 'Ugland Comex1' Talking of Smiths dock, I was on the 'Flexservice 3' being lengthened there many years ago. Her sister ship 'Northern Installer' (ex 'UC1') went to Norway to be lengthened at the same time. Certain cynics were casting doubts over the wisdom of choosing Smiths. Guess what! after refit she was like a new ship, an excellent job whereas the 'Northern Installer' had all sorts of problems with leaks, vibration, cavitation etc. As I pointed out at the time the first ship ever to be lengthened was at Sunderland (although I may stand corrected on that one)
Cheers Ray Jordan
Ray
Just heard from the Stolt guys down here Andy is still on Discovery but on leave they said.

RayJordandpo
1st March 2006, 11:50
Ray
Just heard from the Stolt guys down here Andy is still on Discovery but on leave they said. I remember celebrating Andy passing his masters ticket. A curry then on to 'Bongo Club' (International - I'll have you know!) We don't skimp us Hull guys (although Andy is a "Yeller Belly"
Ray

gdynia
1st March 2006, 11:52
I remember celebrating Andy passing his masters ticket. A curry then on to 'Bongo Club' (International - I'll have you know!) We don't skimp us Hull guys (although Andy is a "Yeller Belly"
Ray
Hes lived up in Cleadon Village along time now Ray I believe. Last time I actually saw him was last year in Norway

tom nicholson
4th March 2006, 15:32
hi ray smiths docks was a well known yard for big steel jobs and lengthening jobs i believe i am right in saying that when we lengthened the P L RUSS she was back to sea in 21 days the same for the MIDIBOY & MIDIBOY the chiryu was also a good result we also done the same on two ferries for atlantic steam, to name but a few we always built the new section before the ship arrived.
cheers tom (*))

Roverdrive
3rd November 2007, 23:08
Hi Guys,
New on the board, and sorry to make this second post.
Andy passed away at the beginning of September 2007. He was on board the Acergy Discovery ( as she now is ) at the time, offshore Brazil.
He is greatly missed by all of us on board.

Mike Derrick

gdynia
4th November 2007, 03:22
Mike

I received the sad news from another SN friend working out in the GOM the saying is true the Good always go first.

Roverdrive
5th November 2007, 14:45
Here is a pic ( I hope ) of the Discovery in her new livery

phil007
20th November 2007, 21:13
does anyone remember stanford beckett, he worked at ugland and was the captain on one of their dive support vessels.

Rennie Cameron
25th November 2007, 21:15
She was built under the subsidy deal and in Boelwerf, in Temse, Belgium. Hence the original Flag. She was bareboated to BT Marine which in turn split 180 days per year with Sub Sea Offshore. It was followed (in part) by Navigator which was only partially built when the Yard went bust. She was effectively a bigger sister and now the Seaway (I guess Acergy now) Eagle

RayJordandpo
14th December 2007, 14:30
does anyone remember stanford beckett, he worked at ugland and was the captain on one of their dive support vessels.

Remember Stan Becket very well, sailed with him on numerous occasions. He was killed when he fell between the quay and ship in Aberdeen.
Ray Jordan

shipmate17
7th June 2008, 16:56
Hi,
Think she is docked in Birkenhead now.