Perth Amboy

Dickyboy
7th December 2009, 10:35
Just been scouting around the NY area on Google Earth, and came across a place called Perth Amboy. We didn't go there on the cunarders that I was on of course, but can anyone tell me why that name rings very strong bells in my head 45 years later? A name I haven't thought of in all that time until about five minutes ago. I was a Bridge Boy on the Queen Mary in 1964
Cheers! (Thumb)

ARRANMAN35
7th December 2009, 11:28
Hi,
Went there in 1959 on a few occasions from Curacao on a Shell chartered
tanker. It is in or near New Jersey.

My recall is now fading, however I think that we were bunkering a power
station.

We then went up the Hudson river until the water tested fresh, this was
taken back to Curacao for separation and used as process water.

Not the most "picturesque" location I have visited.

Archie.

stan mayes
7th December 2009, 11:44
Perth Amboy - Elizabeth and Bayonne are in New Jersey a short ferry trip to New York city.
All are well known to tanker crews as there are oil refineries there.
Stan

Old Janner
7th December 2009, 11:59
Correct Stan, I was there a couple of times on the BP Tankers 32,000 class, discharging crude from Sidon. Not the nicest place to go ashore on a cold winters night in the rain.One trip we went up to New York, bought my first transistor radio for $5.
Then down to Maracibo to load for the UK.

Spence.

Dickyboy
7th December 2009, 12:19
Thanks all, but on thinking a bit, I wonder if there was a pilot station, signal/radio station there. I recall the name quite clearly, and being a bridge boy at the time makes me wonder if radio traffic was sent too and from there. I would have heard it while on the Bridge. Perhaps it is remembered because of its distinctive name.

Tony D
7th December 2009, 13:08
Yup did the same trip in the Thirlby, Curacao to Perth Amboy then up the Hudson past Sing Sing prison and west point to fill up with fresh water for Curacoa.

K urgess
7th December 2009, 13:18
The official end of Atlantic crossing for record purposes was the Ambrose Light Vessel wasn't it?

Boseley
7th December 2009, 13:38
Yup did the same trip in the Thirlby, Curacao to Perth Amboy then up the Hudson past Sing Sing prison and west point to fill up with fresh water for Curacoa.

Me too same trip on the Achatina, Shell, Curacao to Perth Amboy, then returned to Venezuela. Also another place nearby called South Amboy. Isn't it somewhere near that the Sopranos were filmed, It is in New Jersey. Whilst there we had a trip by train to New York, incredible!!

Bob Sendall

Dickyboy
7th December 2009, 13:38
The official end of Atlantic crossing for record purposes was the Ambrose Light Vessel wasn't it?
Or was it Nantucket? I think that's where pilots were picked up and dropped off.

K urgess
7th December 2009, 13:40
Or was it Nantucket? I think that's where pilots were picked up and dropped off.
Possibly. I wasn't sure because I only ever passed the damn thing going north or south from somewhere else.
Damned annoying when you've got relatives in Brooklyn. (Sad)

Dickyboy
7th December 2009, 13:43
I wonder if Perth Amboy was used by the ships for bearings while on the approach to NY. Perhaps before the Varenzanno bridge was completed?

Dickyboy
7th December 2009, 13:45
Possibly. I wasn't sure because I only ever passed the damn thing going north or south from somewhere else.
Damned annoying when you've got relatives in Brooklyn. (Sad)
I'm sure someone knows for sure. (Thumb)

TonyAllen
7th December 2009, 15:03
There was a book written in the 50s about the Amboy dukes one of the gangs in new jersey, I cant remember who wrote it but it was made into a film with Tony Curtis called, City across the river maybe you read the book or saw the film.Just a thought Regards Tony

Ivor Lloyd
7th December 2009, 16:23
I went there in 1944 on the Shell Tanker Maja

Ivor

sidsal
7th December 2009, 17:17
I remember Perth Amboy from the time I was in Esso tankers trading from Aruba and Amuay Bay to Bayonne New Jersey in 1951 or 2. Some ammunition barges blew up in the harbour and the whole town buggered off inland thinking the atom bomb had been dropped by the Russians. It was the height of the cold war and the Korean war and the US media had everyone in a stressed state. Shortly afterwards I came home on the QM and on getting to London and seeing the bobbies strolling along quite happily it made me glad to be home where some sanity prevailed.

tom roberts
7th December 2009, 19:41
Visited Perth Amboy on the Hyria Shell Tanker 1956 ,I

Pat Kennedy
7th December 2009, 19:42
Bugs Bunny claimed in a couple of cartoons that his home town was Perth Amboy.
Pat

tom roberts
7th December 2009, 19:48
To continue after losing last letter I think you sailed up past the statue of Liberty also went in to Bush Terminal Brooklin same trip it was early in year and cold as mother in laws tongue.

captainchris
8th December 2009, 07:18
We used to load copper ingots at Perth Amboy on Cunards Andania in the early sixties.

Cheers,

Chris

Magic Fingers
8th December 2009, 09:03
Perth Amboy hit the headlines in the late sixties or early seventies when there was a masive fire in the refinery. Did this one on the Verena. Enjoyed the place. The natives were quite friendly. Worried when approaching a cop and his hand went straight to his gun while talking to us and did the fresh water return to Curacao which I always understood was swapped fpr bunkers. Thinking about it the fire was probably in the seventies as I was there in sixtynine.
Richard.

TIM HUDSON
8th December 2009, 09:32
On Hess charter Perth Amboy was a frequently visited port, often from Hess Refinery at St.Croix, Virgin Islands. Not the prettiest of towns but it had a wonderful eating house and bar called 'The Barge'. An excellent place to relax after the stresses of a voyage from the Virgin Islands ! Happy days !

Old Janner
8th December 2009, 09:50
Perth Amboy hit the headlines in the late sixties or early seventies when there was a masive fire in the refinery. Did this one on the Verena. Enjoyed the place. The natives were quite friendly. Worried when approaching a cop and his hand went straight to his gun while talking to us and did the fresh water return to Curacao which I always understood was swapped fpr bunkers. Thinking about it the fire was probably in the seventies as I was there in sixtynine.
Richard.

Yeah I remember Perth Amboy better now a group of us were told off by a Cop for "J" Walking, in those day's none of us knew what "J" walking was, but I clearly remember the Cop with his hand on his gun while talking to us.

Later when we came outof a Dinner we stopped to talk to some women possibly a group of us ten or twelve, cop car drives past, sounds it's siren and tell's us to "Break it up and Move on" the girls explained that the police did not allow groups of people to gather on the street at night.

After that I was not sure why people wanted to immigrate to the States.

Spence.

Union Jack
8th December 2009, 10:32
I can't help with the derivation of the name Perth Amboy, other than to surmise that Perth had something to do with original Scots settlers, but The Blue Riband website http://www.theblueriband.com/thehalestrophy.html agrees with Marconi Sahib on the US end for record purposes - and is quite interesting too!

Jack

Steve Woodward
8th December 2009, 17:09
Perth Amboy did feature in a movie - Coyote Ugly - there was the odd memorable scene in the film as I remember

John Rogers
8th December 2009, 17:35
The place was noted for its gangs and high crime for many years.

John.

Union Jack
8th December 2009, 17:44
Further to my previous post, a straight quotation from Wiki suggests that "The city is named in honor of James, Earl of Perth, one of the associates of a company of Scottish proprietaries. "Amboy" may have come from "Ompoge" an Algonquin name for the area, also appearing in South Amboy."

Incidentally, Steve W, Wiki lists some eight other films in which Perth Amboy is mentioned.

Jack

R396040
10th December 2009, 08:37
We used to load copper ingots at Perth Amboy on Cunards Andania in the early sixties.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi,
Yes I remember Elizabeth,Newark and Perth Amboy at the same period also on the Cunard cargo boats. Think it was when containers started to come in and were carried on deck and the North River piers in NYC werent suitable for unloading at Piers 92 & Pier 42 ? in Greenwich Village where we used to unload full cargoes of whisky from Glasgow. Shame because we missed the Market Diner uptown and His Fathers Mustache in the village/ miles from anywhere in the Jersey ports as I recall.
Good old days
Stuart

callpor
10th December 2009, 10:42
Hi,
Yes I remember Elizabeth,Newark and Perth Amboy at the same period also on the Cunard cargo boats. Think it was when containers started to come in and were carried on deck and the North River piers in NYC werent suitable for unloading at Piers 92 & Pier 42 ? in Greenwich Village where we used to unload full cargoes of whisky from Glasgow. Shame because we missed the Market Diner uptown and His Fathers Mustache in the village/ miles from anywhere in the Jersey ports as I recall.
Good old days
Stuart

Hi Stuart,

If you recall, both Alaunia & Andania moved to operating from Pier 32 at the end of Canal street in a joint service with CGT. Under the elevated Westside Highway with a Market Diner right outside and the Village a few minutes walk away. All that changed for the reasons you state when the service was moved to Port Newark in the wilds of New Jersey next to Newark airport.
Chris

R396040
10th December 2009, 18:36
Hi Stuart,

If you recall, both Alaunia & Andania moved to operating from Pier 32 at the end of Canal street in a joint service with CGT. Under the elevated Westside Highway with a Market Diner right outside and the Village a few minutes walk away. All that changed for the reasons you state when the service was moved to Port Newark in the wilds of New Jersey next to Newark airport.
Chris

Hi Chris,
Yes you are right it was Pier 32 not 42 as I thought. Were you 3rd./Officer at about that time on the Cunard cargo boats ? Do you recall one
of the boss stevedores at that time named Red Hopper, a real character ? I was Chief Steward and usually called George amongst other things less polite. We always had a great crowd on those ships.
Stuart Henderson aka George

Pat Kennedy
10th December 2009, 19:33
My brother Jimmy was a junior engineer on the Andania during that time period, and I was AB on the Ivernia at the same time.
On one occasion, we were both at pier 94 at the same time and of course visited each other.
I clearly recall Jimmy took me down the Andania's engine room and showed me an access plate at the aft end which when removed gave access to No 4 tween deck. The plate was secured by only a couple of bolts, which we removed, and there in front of our eyes were thousands of cases of whisky.
What a temptation. manfully resisted!
Pat(Thumb)

Klaatu83
10th December 2009, 20:10
I haven't been to Perth Amboy since the 1970s, but there used to be a shipyard there. A couple of ships I was on back then put in there for overhaul.

Norm
25th July 2013, 03:41
Perth Amboy is mentioned by Frank McCourt in his book "Angela's Ashes". The ship he emigrated on from Ireland to New York docked there.

Dickyboy
25th July 2013, 06:03
Hi!
Lots of interesting facts about Perth Amboy on this thread.
Reading back through these posts, I believe that the reason that I remember the name Perth Amboy could well have been if it was the point used to mark the end of a trans Atlantic crossing. I say that because it was a name/place that was frequently mentioned on the Queen Mary, yet it wasn't a place that the she would ever have visited. Perhaps "Arrived off Perth Amboy" in the Log would have marked the end of the crossing.