Shipping Disasters on the Mersey

graysonlad
9th December 2009, 18:37
Not sure if this is the correct place for this thread but!
I am looking for information that would allow me to put together an illustrate talk, for charity, on ships big and small that have come to grief in or near the river Mersey.
This topic could be extended to take in famous and infamous Liverpool vessels, either built on the Mersey or whose home port became the Mersey, that came to a glorious or inglorious end.

Just a name and an approximate date would be a start, more detail of course would be great.

Graysonlad

Santos
9th December 2009, 19:24
Hi Graysonlad,

The loss of the Ellan Vannan the IOMSP Ferry would be a good one to start with - all the details are HERE (http://www.feegan.co.uk/flloss.htm)

Also The 8,183 GRT Henderson Line liner SS Pegu ran aground in the Crosby Channel on 24 December 1939 - 103 passengers saved by the New Brighton Lifeboat the vessel was a total loss and the wreck is still visible today at low water. Mast used to show till the Tug Wallasey knocked it down in a gale in 1987 when she ran aground close to it.

Also 1960 Rae Tug Applegarth sunk by the Perthshire.

Chris

Peter (Pat) Baker
9th December 2009, 20:15
The submarine whose name began with a T comes to a rather gin clouded mind.
Pat Baker.

John Callon
9th December 2009, 20:48
Pat, the submarine you are referring to was the Thetis. If I remember he was built at Cammell Lairds and was undergoing sea trials in Liverpool Bay. On one of the practice dives she became stuck on the sea bed. I think there were two survivors.

On 7th February 1913, No. 8 Hopper capsized in a storm on the Mersey and 11 crew members were drowned. One of those men was my grandfather, a fireman on the hopper. As a result of his death my grandmother received GBP244, 24 shillings and 9 pence compensation from the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board.
John Callon.

Cutsplice
9th December 2009, 20:59
A Guinness vessel ploughing into one of Savages coasters anchored off New Brighton in the early sixties, no loss of life. Cant recall the name of either vessel at the moment apart from the fact the Savage vessels name ended in field.

Cisco
9th December 2009, 21:13
A Guinness vessel ploughing into one of Savages coasters anchored off New Brighton in the early sixties, no loss of life. Cant recall the name of either vessel at the moment apart from the fact the Savage vessels name ended in field.

Freshfield and Lady Gwendolen

Cisco
9th December 2009, 21:14
Another one... bound for Liverpool... was 'Royal Charter'

tell
10th December 2009, 00:17
JJ Macks ship Stormont sank near the Pier head with the loss of a lot of Cattle in 1946, Also a ferry boat Royal Daffodil was sunk alongside at Egremont by enemy action sometime around !941, Furness Withy? tug sank at Birkenhead with the loss of life I think it may have been the Bison sometime about 1946, there was a ship sunk by enemy action midriver by the pierhead it was bouyed off for years, I believe there was a reluctance to demolish it as it lay directly over the mersey Tunnel hope this helps

Pat Kennedy
10th December 2009, 09:30
Hi Graysonlad,

Also 1960 Rea Tug Applegarth sunk by the Perthshire

Chris

There is a photograph of the Applegarth in Bidston Graving dock after she was salvaged in Marconi Sahib's gallery at this link;
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=161768
A friend of mine, Johnny Dolphin was on of the seven crew who was lost when the Perthshire ran down the Applegarth.
It didnt end there, when the Perthshire finally got alongside at Vittoria dock that night, a crew of dockers boarded her to commence working cargo, and one of them, a deckhand was caught up in a winch and killed.
Pat

stan mayes
10th December 2009, 12:12
Not sure if this is the correct place for this thread but!
I am looking for information that would allow me to put together an illustrate talk, for charity, on ships big and small that have come to grief in or near the river Mersey.
This topic could be extended to take in famous and infamous Liverpool vessels, either built on the Mersey or whose home port became the Mersey, that came to a glorious or inglorious end.

Just a name and an approximate date would be a start, more detail of course would be great.

Graysonlad

Arriving in the Mersey on 23rd August 1941 in the Anglo Saxon Co tanker Adula we saw the wrecks of two ships between Liverpool and Birkenhead.
They had been sunk by parachute mines dropped by German aircraft on 13th March 1941.
Tacoma City of Reardon Smith Co.- four crew were killed.
Ullapool of Sir R.Ropner & Sons Ltd - 15 crew were killed.
Stan

BillH
10th December 2009, 12:38
GORSETHORN.
7.12.1940: Whilst on a voyage from Preston to Cork with coal became disabled and was abandoned 14˝ miles from the Bar Light Vessel. Taken in tow.
9.12.1940: Sank about 1 mile west by north from the Bar Light Vessel.

BANNPRINCE.
12.11.1955: Collided with the Swedish tank steamer JUNO (8,422g./45) in the Queen’s Channel, River Mersey, and sank.
24.11.1955: Raised and beached at Wallasey. Subsequently sold for scrap.

Scousegit
10th December 2009, 16:05
Other might include the Lurcher which sank off Woodside after a collision; the pilot boat that was lost in a storm in 1913?; the loss of the barque Mexico at Formby; Adredger which sank after a collision near Egremont in the mid fifties also a classic Edwardian yacht that was run down in almost the same position about the same period.

I also remember a tanker and a Royal Mail/PSNC ship collided in the channel one Friday night in the mid-sixties, I remember taking some pictures of the Royal ship in Gladstone a week later with a large gash just forward of the bridge.

Also springs to mind the Friday morning, about this time of year, when the Queensgarth was rammed just foreward of the engine room by a chillian vessel doing engine trials in the West Float.

And before I forget the Lottie whatever, being destroyed by a gunpowder explosion off Tranmere c.1840. More recently the Seacat colliding with the frighter going into Alfred two years ago.

I'm sure that there are many more.

Scouse.

ray1buck1
10th December 2009, 18:35
The “SS Speke” official No 91460 port of Registry Liverpool 28th September lost Jordan’s Spit off Formby on a voyage from Liverpool to Preston 1943. 9 souls lost
See http://www.plimsoll.org/resources/SCCLibraries/WreckReports/14167.asp
for a detailed report

Ray

BillH
10th December 2009, 19:10
Early 1970's INDIAN SECURITY was rammed by I think by an Italian MONREALE ? and was left ripped open just aft of the foc'sle in the shape of the Italian's bow to just below the waterline.

tom roberts
10th December 2009, 19:59
Found an oldbook The Wonderful Story of the Sea pre 1938 in it it shows the Harrison boat Architect aground on the Pluntington Bank in the Mersey 1934she broke her back its quite a good picture of her I will try to send it to the gallery. By the way its a great book full of allsorts from hollowed out logs to liners the Qeenmary has just been launched.

tom roberts
10th December 2009, 20:02
Oops apologies the QUEEN MARY its thick I am.

Cutsplice
11th December 2009, 16:49
In the seventies (I think) the tanker "Berwyn" ( I think again) she was a sludge dumping vessel. In the Crosby or Queens channel navigating outside of the bouyed channel apparently hit the revetment wall and sank. Not certain but there were some loss of life, I hope I am mistaken on the last comment.

BillH
11th December 2009, 17:09
In the seventies (I think) the tanker "Berwyn" ( I think again) she was a sludge dumping vessel. In the Crosby or Queens channel navigating outside of the bouyed channel apparently hit the revetment wall and sank. Not certain but there were some loss of life, I hope I am mistaken on the last comment.
Yes it happened on 15th Feb 1973 and she sank 52.32.12N by 3.10.10W.
No idea about loss of life though.

hsc viking
12th December 2009, 23:15
Sea Express 1 (ex Seacat Isle of Man) Collided with the Alaska Rainbow and was listing badly for weeks afterwards. Its a long story photos just after the collision are here. http://www.irishseashipping.co.uk/photofeatures/shipco/iomspco/seone030206/seone030206.htm There are also photos of the repair work on there. Hope this helps.

graysonlad
13th December 2009, 17:42
JJ Macks ship Stormont sank near the Pier head with the loss of a lot of Cattle in 1946,

Thank you for the various lead on this topic.
I have tracked down the following information but have been unable to trace any reports or pictures of this event. As a boy I remember seeing the cattle floating in the river. Can anyone point me in the direction of additional information/pictures. I assume there must be some as I did find a video clip showing the Stormont on her side and the Brent's damaged bow.

On the 20.11.1946 the Stormont, sailing from Belfast to Birkenhead with 220 head of cattle, sank following a collision the SS Empire Brent. The Brent, with a full load of war brides was sailing home to Canada, suffered damage to her bow and had to go into dry dock for repairs.

Graysonlad

eldersuk
15th December 2009, 00:34
graysonlad.

If you PM me your address I have a story, written by an old shipmate, of the remarkable escape of the bosun of the Clan MacAlister sunk off the pierhead on 29 May 1940.

Derek

BillH
17th December 2009, 11:26
Another that has come to light.

IBIS 171grt built 1896
16.11.1923: Wrecked on Taylor’s Bank Revetment, Crosby Channel, R. Mersey

KEITH SEVILLE
17th December 2009, 14:43
The cargo ship Ousel GT:1539, Built 1922 was involved in a collision off Rockferry on the River Mersey 8th january 1957.
For many years her mast was visible from the foreshore.
I remember this event very well, as a child I went down to the foreshore to
see many boxes of Lucky Strike Matches being washed ashore.

graysonlad
18th January 2010, 10:48
graysonlad.

If you PM me your address I have a story, written by an old shipmate, of the remarkable escape of the bosun of the Clan MacAlister sunk off the pierhead on 29 May 1940.

Derek

Hi Derek.

I did PM but have not had a response. Can you let me know if your offer is still open.

David.

David W
18th January 2010, 14:52
MALAKAND bombed 1941 and took most of Huskisson 2 with her when she exploded.

EMPRESS OF ENGLAND burnt out in Gladstone dock 1953

ALABAMA Confederate Warship, built Birkenhead 1862

John Callon
18th January 2010, 16:31
David,
It was the Empress of Canada that burnt out in the Gladstone.
Regards,
John C.

David W
19th January 2010, 10:01
David,
It was the Empress of Canada that burnt out in the Gladstone.
Regards,
John C.
Thanks John, you are absolutely right, I meant to correct it when I went back in to add Alabama and forgot, old age galloping in.

tell
20th January 2010, 01:41
MALAKAND bombed 1941 and took most of Huskisson 2 with her when she exploded.

ALABAMA Confederate Warship, built Birkenhead 1862

er Empress of Canada if you please

jrg
20th January 2010, 03:53
The submarine whose name began with a T comes to a rather gin clouded mind.
Pat Baker.

HMS Thetis-lost on commissioning when a torpedo tube was opened to the sea. Thereafter, submarines had a "Thetis Clip".

Trampshipman
12th September 2010, 18:10
I have just been browsing this quite old thread, and am very surprised that no one seems to have mentioned the `Ionic Star`, of The Blue Star Line. She came ashore at Formby point on 17.10.1939, having lost her way in the Mersey channel. She was carrying meat and fruit and half of the population of Formby were down at the beach gathering up millions of oranges for days afterwards. The wreck is still visible today at low tide.

Trampshipman
12th September 2010, 18:12
Another one... bound for Liverpool... was 'Royal Charter'

wrecked Anglesey, not Liverpool !

Reef Knot
12th September 2010, 19:01
I've got a suggestion for all wannabe seamen. Stay away from the Mersey. The place is NOT safe! (EEK)

Manxman 52
4th March 2012, 01:52
HMS Thetis-lost on commissioning when a torpedo tube was opened to the sea. Thereafter, submarines had a "Thetis Clip".

Follow this link I hope you find it interesting

http://www.angelfire.com/co3/submarinethetis/thetis.htm

Barrie Youde
10th March 2012, 23:36
Somebody once told me about a ship called Titanic, which sank. I rather think that she had the name LIVERPOOL written on the back end.

Spurling Pipe
11th March 2012, 10:33
Somebody once told me about a ship called Titanic, which sank. I rather think that she had the name LIVERPOOL written on the back end.

She may have had Liverpool on the stern. You want to try taking more water with it before placing such disrespectful posts on the site at this hour of the night.

Dave

woodend
11th March 2012, 10:41

Should read EMPRESS OF CANADA. I watched her capsize from the Overhead railway station wit my late Grandfather who had been Chief Engineer of her when she was the DUCHESS OF ATHOLL i think.

Reef Knot
11th March 2012, 10:48
She may have had Liverpool on the stern. You want to try taking more water with it before placing such disrespectful posts on the site at this hour of the night.

DaveBit touchy aren't you?

Spurling Pipe
11th March 2012, 11:13
I've got a suggestion for all wannabe seamen. Stay away from the Mersey. The place is NOT safe! (EEK)

Touchy?

Barrie Youde
11th March 2012, 12:29
The preamble to the Liverpool Pilotage Act of 1766 warns that "The entrance to the Port of Liverpool is very dangerous without a skilful pilot."

'Tain't surprisin' that there are some wrecks.

frank fish
11th March 2012, 12:49
In 1957 whilst at anchor off Tranmere saw a tug hit by SS Bittern and
sunk about the same time a little Isle of Man coaster the J B Kee sank near the Mersey Bar

Barrie Youde
11th March 2012, 12:53

As to taking more water with it, Spurling Pipe my old 'tater, you would do well to heed your own advice.

For my own part I abstain during Lent.

Best wishes,

BY

Boatman25
11th March 2012, 13:08
I agree Barrie, he dosnt like you and it shows, he just makes a fool of himself

frank fish
11th March 2012, 14:09
Memory returned- the tug that sank after collision with the Bittern was the Collingwood

Barrie Youde
11th March 2012, 15:25
Would the loss of HMS Birkenhead (1852) fit in this sad litany of Mersey-related disaster? She'd certainly fit in any other disaster list.

Or HMS Conway (1953)? Few ships had closer Mersey connections.

#12 There was no Liverpool pilot-cutter lost in 1913 - but there were all too many other occasions. No fewer than five sailing pilot-cutters were run down and sunk by steamers in the fourteen years between 1882 and 1896, the year in which steam propulsion was introduced to the LPS.

Boatman25
11th March 2012, 16:27
Wasnt Hms Conway lost in the straits between Anglesey and the mainland

Barrie Youde
11th March 2012, 16:33
Yes, she was. If you google "HMS Conway" and then an item entitled "Two bridges too far" there is an excellent account of excactly what went wrong.

Best,

BY

sparkie2182
11th March 2012, 17:10
"Malakand" details...........amazingly only four people died.

http://www.liverpoolblitz70.co.uk/2011/04/04/explosion-of-the-ss-malakand/

Reef Knot
11th March 2012, 18:30
Touchy?Yep. That's what I said. You really should pull yourself toward yourself! Learn to relax a little and SMILE dammit! B\) or even (Sad). Now (Pint) Cheers!

Reef Knot
11th March 2012, 18:42
I agree Barrie, he dosnt like you and it shows, he just makes a fool of himselfNah. He's just a serious minded feller. Harmless, really. Now, as for that Youde bloke.... I thought he was a Jew and now he talks about Lent.... Holey socks I'm confused! I should have gone to school when my Mum said.... Ahh! I'm going to bed early!! (Night)

Barrie Youde
11th March 2012, 20:01
Hi, Reef Knot,

Please feel free to regard me as a Jew, a Parsee or a Buddhist monk. Or even a Polynesian sun-worshipper.

Try reading Thor Heyerdahl (remember him? The Kon Tiki bloke?) and his autobiography "In the Footsteps of Adam". It makes much sense. And might leave you a little less confused.

Sleep well!

BY

Reef Knot
11th March 2012, 20:53
Try reading Thor Heyerdahl (remember him? The Kon Tiki bloke?) and his autobiography "In the Footsteps of Adam". It makes much sense. And might leave you a little less confused.You think? I hope yer right, Mate! If this doesn't work there are people around me who are going to be VERY disappointed! (*))

erylro
20th February 2013, 11:20
Hi graysonlad,

I don't know if you are still giving your talk, but if so, you might also mention the SS Avon (built by Barclay Curle & Co. in 1865 in Glasgow - see www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id-3916) which sank in the Crosby Channel whilst at anchor, after a collision with the Pacuare, from Fowey for Liverpool with china clay, on 19th April 1916 (not 19/09/1909 as stated on above website). My great grandfather, Hilton Casson of 3 Holly Grove, Seaforth, was the Master of the Avon and I have a photocopy of his subsequent application to the Mercantile Marine Office for a certified copy of his Master's Certificate of Competency, which was lost along with his discharge book when the vessel sank.