Reventazon

Ron Stringer
11th October 2005, 11:07
As a 'Sparks', one of the duties was maintaining 'Company Radio Schedules'. These were set times when R/Os on ships of a Company fleet would call each other to exchange messages of significance to the Company. In practice, this usually meant swapping crew lists and chatting about the good places and experiences in the last port.

One of the ships that I used to contact regularly when I was 3rd R/O on the Golfito was the Reventazon, but I don't see anything about her in any of the threads under E & F nor in the Gallery. I only visited a few other United Fruit vessels, usually in Kingston, but swapped info with many on the Company 'HF skeds'. The ships on the Tiko run, and those that ran into Garston, were never seen. Nice, after all these years, to see what some of them looked like.

Ron Stringer

terence
11th October 2005, 21:35
ron empire mole 1946 acquired by e.f renamed reventazon 1963 sold to panama renamed kimolos 1973 scrapped ps the ships on the tiko run that ran in to garston dont get uuuu /tel x elders fyffes 1950s 1960s

Ron Stringer
11th October 2005, 22:57
Sorry to confuse you. What I meant is that because the Golfito only ran from either Avonmouth or Southampton to the West Indies (Barbados-Trinisdad-Jamaica) and back, we never met up with any of the E & F ships that ran out of Garston, or were on the West African run. We did meet quite a few of the United Fruit ships in Kingston - I remember a good night out with guys from the Sixaola, starting at the Myrtle Bank and ending up at the Bamboo Club.

By the way the Reventazon started life in 1939 as the Panther, owned by F. Laeisz, Hamburg. In 1945 she was acquired as war prize and renamed Empire Mole, then in 1946 acquired by E&F renamed Reventazon. 1963 sold to Panama, renamed Kimolos (Greek flag), 1972 sold to Alimos Shipping & Trading, Greece renamed Ilkon Jan, resold renamed Vassilia K, 1973 scrapped.

Ron

terence
12th October 2005, 00:23
ron all fyffes ran out of garston and liverpool and avonmouth going tiko and kingston remember bamboo club very well also we got on the banana train to the water tanks to go for a swim in fyffes pool and walk it back o happy days i could good on and on it gets my wifes head going you no how it is keep going back any ways lets call a truce hope to here you soon tell

terence
12th October 2005, 00:25
(H) ron all fyffes ran out of garston and liverpool and avonmouth going tiko and kingston remember bamboo club very well also we got on the banana train to the water tanks to go for a swim in fyffes pool and walk it back o happy days i could good on and on it gets my wifes head going you no how it is keep going back any ways lets call a truce hope to here you soon tell

tell
28th February 2006, 01:25
Ron I remember the Reventazon , she was a fijne looking ship, she was a german prize after the war , I believe there was some confusion down below as the valves and such were still marked in the german Language and to make matters worse some jokers had swapped the labels around .Tell

George chudley
15th June 2006, 09:59
HI RON
I SAILED IN THE REVENTAZON BACK IN
1954 SHE WAS a GREAT LITTLE SHIP
ONLY DONE THE ONE TRIP ON HER
iWAS A.B. ON DECK

George chudley
15th June 2006, 10:08
RON
i sailed in quite A few of fyffes ships
bayano cavina ariguani corrales reventazon
13 5 5 1 1 25 trips in all
from AVONMOUTH

R58484956
15th June 2006, 13:19
Reventazon Ex Empire Mole 1947 Ex Salzberg 1945 Ex Panther. 4876 tons Built 1939.
394.0 x 52.7 x 24.7. 6 cyl diesel by MAN. Built by Deutsche Werft, Hamburg.Code flags GPJX. British flag, Registered London, Owned by E&F

john dunn
25th May 2008, 11:36
As a 'Sparks', one of the duties was maintaining 'Company Radio Schedules'. These were set times when R/Os on ships of a Company fleet would call each other to exchange messages of significance to the Company. In practice, this usually meant swapping crew lists and chatting about the good places and experiences in the last port.

One of the ships that I used to contact regularly when I was 3rd R/O on the Golfito was the Reventazon, but I don't see anything about her in any of the threads under E & F nor in the Gallery. I only visited a few other United Fruit vessels, usually in Kingston, but swapped info with many on the Company 'HF skeds'. The ships on the Tiko run, and those that ran into Garston, were never seen. Nice, after all these years, to see what some of them looked like.

Ron Stringer

Yes I remember you from the GOLFITO where I spent over 2 very happy years after transferring from the REVENTAZON on 12th August 1963. I have been contacted through several members of both ships and in particular people looking for good pictures of the latter (which incidentally I handed over to her new new owners).

Do you know anyone who might have a copy?

Cheers,

John Dunn

A.J.McMahon
25th May 2008, 12:10
Hi John Dunn, were you on the Matina, any time between 60-62, I sailed with Fyffes for nearly 5yrs, last ship the Revenazon,then another 10+ yrs on the N Atlantic runs,your name rings a bell.

john dunn
26th May 2008, 10:10
I was Mate of this lovely old ship and it was sad to see her go. Yes I remember your name well too - perhaps CAMITO, GOLFITO, CHUSCAL, SINALOA, LEITH HILL, TILAPA, TURRIALBA.

Did you move to CP Ships?

Cheers, John Dunn

Eric Want
5th September 2013, 21:47
Hi John .
Your name is familiar believe we served together on the good old Leith Hill I was third mate and can recall some of the antics we got up to . please contact me ericwant@talktalk.net