Lord Kelvin

kev
11th October 2005, 21:43
Lord Kelvin - lpg tanker

glenn
11th October 2005, 22:05
Thanks for that 1 Kev forgot bout her Remember Faraday,Cavindish,Humboldt
Did 2 trips on Faraday you got pic of her?

kev
11th October 2005, 22:18
Glen

I have got a picture of the Faraday. Also the Cavendish and the Humbolt. Also 2 other pics - the Joule and the Clerk Maxwell. Will post them now.

Kev

kev
12th October 2005, 21:41
Does anyone have any more pictures of the Kelvin, or other Houlders gas tankers?

Does anyone know what became of the Lord Kelvin?

Kev

norsea
13th October 2005, 23:15
Does anyone remember "Avogadro" n.r.t. 525 tons L.P.G.tanker managed by Houlder Bros. for Gazocean. Sailed as 2nd Mate/1st Mate from Marchto July `65 before joiningL.P.G.Carrier "Joule"

kev
15th October 2005, 10:34
I have not heard of the Avogadro, but the Joule stand high in my memory.

Any pics of either of these 2 vessels?

Kev

norsea
15th October 2005, 13:04
Sorry Kev no pics of Avogadro,all I know she was bought from Italian owners.I have a pic of the Joule but no means of posting. Sorry cannot be more helpful

kev
15th October 2005, 14:35
Hi Norsea

Thats a shame, would like to see an image of the Joule again. I thought I had a shot, but just cannot find it anywhere.

My biggest memory of the Joule was the compressor house. Boy did your eyes water in there when she was loaded with Amonia!!!!!

Kev

david smith
15th October 2005, 14:40
The Lord Kelvin Became "Helios" in 1987, "Herdis" in 1991, and "Jag Vayu" in 1997. She still sails as the "Jag Veyu" for Great Eastern Shipping of India

kev
16th October 2005, 14:14
Here is a link to a shot of the Helios (formerly Houlder Bros, Lord Kelvin) that I have placed in the gallery:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7891

Kev

kev
16th October 2005, 14:18
And also a link to the Jag Vayu in Great Eastern Shipping colours, again, formerly the Houlders LPG carrier, Lord Kelvin:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7893

Kev

ruud
16th October 2005, 18:25
Ahoy,

Here seen as Herdis:

http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/7259/herdis8fa.th.jpg (http://img435.imageshack.us/my.php?image=herdis8fa.jpg)

kev
16th October 2005, 18:53
Nice one. Many thanks for filling the gap.

Kev

non descript
5th March 2006, 19:25
The name “Joule” was used three times. The first Joule was built 1964 and sold in 1970 and re-named Giambattista Venturi and broken up in 1983 – the second Joule was built in 1965 as the Havgas, and acquired by Houlders in 1973, she was broken up in 1984, the third Joule was built 1972, and acquired by Houlders in 1989 – she was the ex Lancashire (ex Leiv Eriksson)

kev
11th March 2006, 17:13
cheers for that, the one I willknow will be the ex Havgas.

Kev

non descript
26th March 2006, 20:13
cheers for that, the one I willknow will be the ex Havgas.

Kev

That Joule had the distinction of leaking.... she leaked salt water into the ballast tanks and then doubled the effect by leaking, in a more exciting fashion, from the ballast tanks into the containment space - a wholly more interesting idea as there was no (quick) means of getting the water out and it was a race to see if we could get the salvage pump in and working before the cargo tank gently floated off its chocks.

As for the interface of warm sea water touching one side of the steel tank and -32 degrees on the other side..... (*))

wsumg04
29th March 2006, 14:28
Ah the joule, music to my ears.I need to find a picture of this ship, so if anyone has one can they please post or send me a copy that I can put up on line.I had a very happy memory of the front of the housing being painted purple by two AB's while they were stoned in bremen in 1982.Fun times indeed!

non descript
24th August 2006, 22:56
Does anyone remember "Avogadro" n.r.t. 525 tons L.P.G.tanker managed by Houlder Bros. for Gazocean. Sailed as 2nd Mate/1st Mate from Marchto July `65 before joiningL.P.G.Carrier "Joule"

Norsea,

Avogadro was the very first gas ship that Houlders bought - she was of course pressure ship, and frankly her main task was to train the sea-staff in the workings of Gas Tankers before the fleet of larger ships came into being with Ocean Gas Transport - the joint venture between Houlders and Gazocean. she was purchased second-hand in 1964 when the LPG trade was in its infancy; she was sold in 1970 and re-named Caribgaz. In 1971 she became LSCO Anzac and suffered an explosion in 1973 and was lost.

john shaw
24th August 2006, 23:21
Ah the joule, music to my ears.I need to find a picture of this ship, so if anyone has one can they please post or send me a copy that I can put up on line.I had a very happy memory of the front of the housing being painted purple by two AB's while they were stoned in bremen in 1982.Fun times indeed!

the attached link is to the 1972 built Joule, pictured March 89,so it seems likely to be the one you seek?
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=68338

non descript
24th August 2006, 23:52
the attached link is to the 1972 built Joule, pictured March 89,so it seems likely to be the one you seek?
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=68338

John,

Close but not the one unfortunately - this is the third Joule built 1972, and acquired by Houlders in 1989 – she was the ex Lancashire (ex Leiv Eriksson) – the Joule that would have been in Bremen in 1982 would be the second one, built in 1965 as the Havgas, and acquired by Houlders in 1973, broken up in 1984 two years after her infamous call at Bremen.

TimHampson
16th January 2008, 16:22
I spent 6 months on the Lord Kelvin as an Engineer Cadet in 1986 - joined in Sweden for what should have been a bus route down to Sullom Voe, then fawley (home) but ended up going across to PanCan, up to Alska, down to Aus and back to Bodo via a huge low that saw the scuppers above the controlroom burst and start flooding the open backed switchboard.....lots of fun that night - and the only time I've ever heard sparks sending out panpan!

Worst memory is of a kiwi 2nd Eng called Mutley (real name withheld - but he later worked as super for red funnel in Southampton)) whose favourite trick was to have a poo in the duty engineers boots, then set off a machinery space alarm - who had a HUGE anti-cadet chip on his shoulder and gave me a very hard time!

Was anchored off Sydney for their 200 celebrations - strange how they wouldn't let us into the harbour. Got our own back by flying one of their bicentennial banners off the back end (we'd "aquired" it from the Opera House the night before) as we left.

Those were the days..................

rob mcc
23rd January 2008, 00:19
sailed on lord kelvin 1984 apart from sailing with some good shipmates like d briggs CE ian thomas RO it was sad because it was my last trip with houlders

non descript
23rd January 2008, 00:20
sailed on lord kelvin 1984 apart from sailing with some good shipmates like d briggs CE ian thomas RO it was sad because it was my last trip with houlders

Better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved (a firey kipper) at all... (Jester)

B.Bass
23rd January 2008, 05:35
My worst memory of Houlders was standing by the Lord Kelvin whilst she was building in Italy,it was my first & last Gas Boat,the standby Master was the most ignorant person I met during my 14 years with Houlders.

NINJA
23rd January 2008, 17:12
Hope you don't include either Roy Southgate or Tommy Woolcott in the above statement, life was never dull with either of those two on Gas Tankers.

marinero
23rd January 2008, 17:36
Hope you don't include either Roy Southgate or Tommy Woolcott in the above statement, life was never dull with either of those two on Gas Tankers.

Hi Ninja.
You're right about these two. Tom Woolcott and his partys, and Roy Southgate was a good organiser, in fact I remember Tom Woolcott and John Coates(Ch.Eng.) had been ashore in Japan(can't quite remember where) and they brought back an old road sweeper and got him legless on board and then sent him on his way rejoicing. Any idea where they are now?
Regards (Thumb)

NINJA
23rd January 2008, 20:00
Hello Leo,

Last I heard about Roy he was living somewhere in France and several people have told me that John Coates has sadly passed away maybe someone could better confirm that, sailed with John on the Orotava and the Cavendish, the only thing that seemed to upset John was mentioning that monkey from Hartlepool. A great shipmate.

Regards

Ninja.

B.Bass
24th January 2008, 05:41
Never met either of the aforementioned gentlemen although I did hear quite a few anecdotes about Tom Woolcott.In general most other Houlders personnel I met were very nice people maybe I was unfortunate enough to meet the one that wasn't.

marinero
25th January 2008, 15:42
Never met either of the aforementioned gentlemen although I did hear quite a few anecdotes about Tom Woolcott.In general most other Houlders personnel I met were very nice people maybe I was unfortunate enough to meet the one that wasn't.

Hi Brian.
You really missed something not knowing Tommy Woolcott, one of lifes gentleman who knew every bawdy seafaring song going. I think his life might have been influenced by his christian outlook on life (I know that sounds rather contradictory) but he was very fair and generous in all his dealings with people.
As Ninja said he was a character.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

jeraylin
3rd February 2008, 05:11
Sailed on Lord Kelvin in 1980 as deck cadet, joined in France signed off at Boston. we were in Iran when the revolution was kicking off and took ammonia to Santos Brazil then loaded LPG in Maracaibo to Boston. Real work up changing gas I recall. Can't remember the old man but he had the Maltese cross stitched on to the back of his boiler suit so must have been a company man. Officer bar had two budgies that used to get flying lessons on party nights. Got some old photos of a crossing the line ceremony with the whole ships complement dressed up round the pool.

non descript
3rd February 2008, 09:48
Hi Brian.
You really missed something not knowing Tommy Woolcott, one of lifes gentleman who knew every bawdy seafaring song going. I think his life might have been influenced by his christian outlook on life (I know that sounds rather contradictory) but he was very fair and generous in all his dealings with people.
As Ninja said he was a character.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

Yes, Brian can take some comfort from the fact he came across just the one oddity and almost to a man everyone else was 100A1. Certainly Tom was a very decent sort, worthwhile as a ship's Master and a kind man with it.
(Thumb)
Mark

MARINEJOCKY
3rd February 2008, 12:54
Sorry to hear about John Coates.

I had been trying to remember his name. I sailed with him on the Cavendish the first time I was there. I was a Cadet engineer and was told by the other guys that it was a privilege to be asked by the chief to play Crib' with him against the Captain & Chief Mate after dinner. I was also told to make things go smoother with the chief I should enquire into the story concerning the monkey.

I had never heard of crib' before but being willing to learn and especialy from the chief engineer I joined the table. I made loads of mistakes and sensing he was getting really mad with me I thought now was the time to bring up the monkey story.

The poor guy had steam coming out of his head and could hardly speak as he told me to get out. The rest of the bar was cracking up and it was not until a couple of days later that the second told him what they had done to me. John came to my cabin and apologised and explained the whole story about the monkey to me and to this day I am a good crib player thanks to what I learned from him.

non descript
3rd February 2008, 14:03
Nice one about John; really sad to see that he has passed away - I remember him a very pleasant chap and an excellent engineer.

NINJA
3rd February 2008, 15:05
When I was on the Cavendish with John Coates we always had a game of Crib at Smoko and Tiffen, and after a few beers the monkey usually reared his ugly head. Have still got one of those crib boards that you sometimes got in a case of Tennants lager.

marinero
4th February 2008, 18:30
When I was on the Cavendish with John Coates we always had a game of Crib at Smoko and Tiffen, and after a few beers the monkey usually reared his ugly head. Have still got one of those crib boards that you sometimes got in a case of Tennants lager.

Hi Ninja.
I used to call John Coates "The Hartlepool Hangman". I called him that through the serving hatch on the "Cavendish" one breakfast and I got a boiled egg between the eyes for my troubles. The last I saw of him was on the train from Kings Cross on the way up North with little Andy the Cook. We had a tableful of cans of McEwans Export, great train journey. We had paid off the "Cavendish" in Mina but had to wait there for 24 hours for the Air India jumbo as it was held up over a bomb scare. A sad loss.
Regards(Thumb) (Thumb)

homerus
29th March 2009, 04:35
Was the 2nd/E called I Mc donald? On the Black Max,he thought it cool, to do a streak ,in the ol' man's cabin at 1am.
Thus, waking,'sleeping dogs.'

stubzi
22nd May 2011, 17:45
I spent 6 months on the Lord Kelvin as an Engineer Cadet in 1986 - joined in Sweden for what should have been a bus route down to Sullom Voe, then fawley (home) but ended up going across to PanCan, up to Alska, down to Aus and back to Bodo via a huge low that saw the scuppers above the controlroom burst and start flooding the open backed switchboard.....lots of fun that night - and the only time I've ever heard sparks sending out panpan!

Worst memory is of a kiwi 2nd Eng called Mutley (real name withheld - but he later worked as super for red funnel in Southampton)) whose favourite trick was to have a poo in the duty engineers boots, then set off a machinery space alarm - who had a HUGE anti-cadet chip on his shoulder and gave me a very hard time!

Was anchored off Sydney for their 200 celebrations - strange how they wouldn't let us into the harbour. Got our own back by flying one of their bicentennial banners off the back end (we'd "aquired" it from the Opera House the night before) as we left.

Those were the days..................

Ian MacDonald

Roger Olney
18th July 2013, 22:05
My worst memory of Houlders was standing by the Lord Kelvin whilst she was building in Italy,it was my first & last Gas Boat,the standby Master was the most ignorant person I met during my 14 years with Houlders.

Sorry about the delay in replying (8years or so).
I stood by The Kelvin for the last year or so and maiden voyage as second E.
The two masters were Rod Banton (played golf with) and Jubby I did not see eye to eye sometimes with the latter sailed with him also on the Oratavia.
I dont rember your name (sorry) the mate standing by was Bob Frederick (sadly now passed away) who said someone got fed up and went home before he joined perhaps you ?
Marina Carrara was my most enjoyable or best time at sea or should I say ashore.
The Gas ship Clerk Maxwell probably best other than Tewksbury

Hey!marconi
23rd December 2013, 18:54
Sorry about the delay in replying (8years or so).
I stood by The Kelvin for the last year or so and maiden voyage as second E.
The two masters were Rod Banton (played golf with) and Jubby I did not see eye to eye sometimes with the latter sailed with him also on the Oratavia.
I dont rember your name (sorry) the mate standing by was Bob Frederick (sadly now passed away) who said someone got fed up and went home before he joined perhaps you ?
Marina Carrara was my most enjoyable or best time at sea or should I say ashore.
The Gas ship Clerk Maxwell probably best other than Tewksbury

Hi Roger,
Well we were definitely shipmates but sadly I cant remember you.
I was R/O standing by in Marina. and sailed maiden voyage. My pal Ian Hardie was mate, of which more later. Did you come down to that fabulous restaurant we affectionately called the "Traffic lights" ( coz it was on a junction!) where we ate lots of times?
Great last meal night before we sailed and he offered all of us to pick a bottle of wine from a great shelf running all round the room.
Hope you remember me, Banton was ok ...JJ not so!

Frank Ralph

Roger Olney
23rd December 2013, 21:50
Hi Frank
I am struggling to remember as well but almost certainly at same meal. The traffic lights was my preferred (of many) eating houses. I remeber early on Frank Evermy asking for something special and getting it which I did after a while. I was trying to teach one of the waiters/chefs english and he me Italian so had a good relationship. Knew Ian well and a couple of restaurants near him one on the beach and a Pizza house nearby his flat owned by one of the interpreters. I went ashore early after maiden voyage so not so long at sea on her a month or so I think. Merry Christmas.
Regards Roger

Roy Avogadro
23rd August 2014, 23:49
I was on the Avogadro as first mate (Roy) with John Pope, Tom woolcot, etc and then the Humboldt, Joule, Cavendish. Does anyone remeber me???