Faraday

kev
11th October 2005, 21:20
MV Faraday - lpg tanker

glenn
11th October 2005, 22:25
Thanks Kev You know whats happened to her .I supose shes razor blades by now ?

fred henderson
11th October 2005, 22:48
She was built in the old Hawthorn Leslie, Hebburn Yard, after the Swan Hunter take over. I vividly remember her launch on 19 June 1970, as I was watching from the bows of a VLCC at the Wallsend Yard on the other bank of the Tyne. For many years the Hebburn Yard had developed and used water brakes for their launches. These were heavy vertical plates with large holes burnt into them, a flange at the outboard edge and supporting brackets. They were asymetrical in size so that the ship turned up-river as she came off the ways. Faraday was launched into the Tyne using this system. She came directly towards the bows of the VLCC, then turned upstream with her bridge wing passing below the overhang where I was standing. I do not think Health & Safety would allow me to stand there today.
Yes, she was converted into Chinese razor blades in February 1993

Fred

glenn
11th October 2005, 23:01
Did she play a small cameo part in the film Get Carter .Was a scene on the docks and it looked like her in the background ?

fred henderson
11th October 2005, 23:28
Did she play a small cameo part in the film Get Carter .Was a scene on the docks and it looked like her in the background ?

Sorry Glenn, I can only remember Gateshead multi-story car park. What year was the film made?

Fred (Thumb)

barrow-boy
12th October 2005, 04:14
Hey Glenn,
I always thought that ship in the background of the scene where Michael Caine steps off the ferry in Wallsend was the Esso Mercia... Nick.

NINJA
8th May 2006, 20:48
Regarding the Faraday and "Get Carter", I stood by the ship when she was being built and we watched them shoot several scenes from the deck, when Micheal Caine travels across on the ferry you can see the red painted hull of the Faraday in the background.

DavidL
8th May 2006, 23:12
the shot from the ferry landing shows the faraday on the south bank and esso hibernia on the north bank, hibernia was next off the slip after esso northumbria.

non descript
8th September 2006, 22:49
I only discovered today that the 1970 built LPG tanker was not the first ship in the group to carry the name Faraday the original Faraday was a 892 GRT general cargo ship, built in 1873, acquired in 1905 and broken up in 1909

Biggus
29th July 2008, 18:04
I was on the Faraday from May '78 to Nov '78, as a deckboy with Houlder Bros. We sailed into Beunes Aires the night Argentina won the world cup: what a night that was. as I recall!

NINJA
29th July 2008, 19:05
Stood by the Faraday when she was built and paid of in B.A., always a lively run ashore around Dock Sud, when I first went to Dock Sud the Fray Bentos canning factory was in full swing, the last time I went to Dock Sud it had been knocked down. Depending on which way the wind was blowing you either got the smell of meat stewing or heavy oil from the tank farm, prefered the smell of heavy oil.

non descript
29th July 2008, 19:36
Stood by the Faraday when she was built.

I think we can maybe assume this was the second ship of this name, and you were not standing by the general cargo ship of that name (Jester)

NINJA
30th July 2008, 08:00
Tonga, you assume correctly.

marinero
30th July 2008, 09:41
Stood by the Faraday when she was built and paid of in B.A., always a lively run ashore around Dock Sud, when I first went to Dock Sud the Fray Bentos canning factory was in full swing, the last time I went to Dock Sud it had been knocked down. Depending on which way the wind was blowing you either got the smell of meat stewing or heavy oil from the tank farm, prefered the smell of heavy oil.

Good Morning Ninja.
Did you have a Ch. Cook on the "Faraday" by the name of Vic Thompson? I'm sure he did the maiden voyage. I sailed with him on the "Cavendish". I wonder where he is now?
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

NINJA
30th July 2008, 19:33
Hello Leo

If my memory serves me correctly, Vic Thompson was the cook on the Faraday and also on the Cavendish's first trip, the second trip I did on the Cavendish it was Gary Jones the Chief Cook and both of those ships John Ronicle was the Chief Steward.

Regards

Ninja,

marinero
31st July 2008, 13:07
Hi Ninja.
I'm still in touch with Garry Jones. He ended up with Houlder Offshore as did many of us, although he no longer works, apart from breeding parrots.
I can honestly say he was one of the best chefs I ever met at sea and taught a whole new generation of cooks who did very well too.
Regards
Leo

NINJA
31st July 2008, 14:00
Leo,

The last I heard of Gary Jones he was living on a barge on the french canals.

George Daniels
27th December 2008, 22:53
I sailed on the Faraday as 4th eng in 1978 and the trip went bad when we lost 2 guys to a gas leak. I paid off in Maracaibo and vowed not to sail with Houlders again. I have good memories of the Ocean Transport which had the best trip in the world but the Dunster Grange moved too much for my liking.

BobClay
27th December 2008, 23:06
Seeing the mention of 'Get Carter' with respect to the area where it was filmed (and I remember the ship), have a look at this link.

www.getcartertour.co.uk

What's fascinating is that the author has taken a lot of shots from the film, and put then alongside more recent shots of the same site, there are some astounding differences.

Any lads from up that way might find it interesting.

NINJA
28th December 2008, 09:40
Thanks for that link Bob, we had just finished for the day and heading back to the Merchant Navy Hotel in South Shields we saw Michael Caine crossing the the road and entering Hailes bookmakers as per the clip shown.

Happy memories.

Old Bakelite
2nd July 2009, 18:18
I sailed on the Faraday as 4th eng in 1978 and the trip went bad when we lost 2 guys to a gas leak. I paid off in Maracaibo and vowed not to sail with Houlders again.

George, I was on her just after and never properly understood what happened. Upon thinking my memory had played tricks and it never took place and I could never find any official record, report etc in Births, Deaths and Marriages or anywhere else.

Would you mind if I contacted you privately?

OB

peter potts
5th July 2009, 12:13
I was on Faraday 80/81 lost 3rd mate in Mexico he was coming back from shore on them ferryboats slipped getting off never seen him again. Scotch lad islands i think. Had to go ashore in Huston texas make statement. good ship good runs tho

Welsh Dragon
5th July 2009, 18:43
I was on Faraday 80/81 lost 3rd mate in Mexico he was coming back from shore on them ferryboats slipped getting off never seen him again. Scotch lad islands i think. Had to go ashore in Huston texas make statement. good ship good runs tho

I think that was John Patterson. His nickname when i Knew him was Twizzle. Nice lad.

Corky
7th July 2009, 18:18
I think that was John Patterson. His nickname when i Knew him was Twizzle. Nice lad.

Thought John was lost off the Elstree Grangen at Coatzacoalcos? I sailed with him the previous trip on the Lord Kelvin

Jamman
22nd November 2011, 21:13
Vic Thompson was the cook on the first ship I joined, which was the Orenda Bridge, in Rotterdam, that was August 72 and I was a first trip galley rat. He was a cracking man and good cook that taught my how to make bread and pastry. He hailed from Gravesend, which is where I went to sea school and now live. It's a funny old world! Later on I did a trip on the Cavendish in January 73 and back to back trips on the Faraday from June 74, via a couple of more Houlders boat, being the Furness Bridge and the Tenbury.

peterh76-86
13th January 2012, 11:18
Went ashore with then 2/O Mark Andrews and couple of others (think it was the trip he was made upto 1st Mate). After a good night ashore came back to the dock and got on board an old launch to take us back to the ship. The launch had been very well looked after and Mark was inspecting the brass work when we heard a splash, into the dock he had gone. What a great ending to the night for us (not so much for him).

marinero
14th January 2012, 11:24
Went ashore with then 2/O Mark Andrews and couple of others (think it was the trip he was made upto 1st Mate). After a good night ashore came back to the dock and got on board an old launch to take us back to the ship. The launch had been very well looked after and Mark was inspecting the brass work when we heard a splash, into the dock he had gone. What a great ending to the night for us (not so much for him).

Last I heard of Mark was that he was Harbormaster down at Milford Haven, overseeing the commissioning of the new Gas Berths. In fact I saw a brief interview of him on TV. A very pleasant young man who I first met when we sailed together on the "Furness Bridge"

Regards (Thumb)

lordgregory1
14th September 2012, 10:10
I flew out to CAPE TOWN to join FARADAY with full crew, the captain was R.HODGES, anyone remember him?, I joined her July 71,payed off LE-HAVRE Jan72, not a good ship, another ship rammed us went to New Zealand for repairs, then we caught fire!!! fight broke out in crew bar, I was slashed with broken glass!, glad to go home, good riddence faraday!!!!!!!!