Cavendish

kev
11th October 2005, 22:21
Cavendish - lpg tanker

tanker
12th October 2005, 10:33
She is a French built 1969 sister of GAY LUSSAC.
GP

kev
12th October 2005, 18:45
any pics of the sister ship?

Here is a link to another shot of the Cavendish in the gallery:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7911
Kev

non descript
4th March 2006, 21:24
To be frank, to me she seemed are rather clinical ship without much charm she worked well, she refrigerated the cargo (most of the time) and her main claim to fame was having a FIAT Main Engine. There were other gas ships in the fleet with more character.

NINJA
10th May 2006, 21:13
But the FIAT main engine was a " Grandee Motori ", I recollect it was the fridge plant that was the biggest headache with those six Loire compressors, six L.P. cylinders and two H.P. cylinders, nothing simple.

non descript
9th July 2006, 00:23
Yes, the Fridge Plant was far from perfect and the entire system was a nightmare to get started when you were in an area of very high sea water temperature like Shuaiba, where we were loading ammonia and managed to lift the safety valves and thereby gas the crew of an innocent oil tanker alongside the adjoining berth, who seemingly had never seen a Gas Tanker before.

NINJA
9th July 2006, 09:19
Hello Tonga,

Regarding high sea temperatures and the reliquifaction system, the Faraday was a better design having a R22 system for cooling the the LPG condensors. Also if I remember correctly the compressors were slow running Sulzers, not Loire high speed buzz bombs.

Regards

Ninja.

kev
9th July 2006, 18:52
R22.....a long time since I heard that, indeed, completely a distant memory!

NINJA
9th July 2006, 20:56
Hello Kev,

Other distant memories are splitting ammonia lines wearing a B.A. set, and when the lines still had some liquid ammonia in, having that that crunching feeling around the nether regions, as you say distant memories thankgoodness.

non descript
10th July 2006, 15:34
That is very true Ninja. - Unlike some of her relatives in the Firey Kipper fleet, at least Cavendish did not leak unless asked to (as in splitting the pipes) the luxury gas tanker Joule had as many leaking pipelines as leaking welds in the ballast tanks.

NINJA
10th July 2006, 17:22
That is very true Ninja. - Unlike some of her relatives in the Firey Kipper fleet, at least Cavendish did not leak unless asked to (as in splitting the pipes) the luxury gas tanker Joule had as many leaking pipelines as leaking welds in the ballast tanks.

Tonga,

You are quite right in your case the Joule, in mine after sailing on the Faraday and the Cavendish, a posting to the Clerk-Maxwell alias "the Black Max" was I suppose it was the equivalent nowadays of a posting to Afghanistan!

Regards

Ninja.

leo hannan
27th July 2006, 20:47
Hi Mark.
Trust things are well with you and yours. One Ch.Off. I sailed with on the Cavendish left Houlders to do just that but I'm blowed if I can remember his name. I think it was Mike ?? and I seem to remember he went to Hoverloyd. On the Cavendish at the time was Roy Southgate/John Glover(Masters) Mike Mitchell (Ch.Eng.) who went on to run the Diving Ops. in Aberdeen where I joined him as Cat. Supt. I had an e-mail a while back from M.Holland-Lloyd, he ended up as Master with some foreign Co.
Regards
Leo (*))

non descript
27th July 2006, 22:57
Hi Leo,
Bearing in mind that I sailed on the Cavendish when Roy Southgate was Master and when JDH Glover took over from him, you would think I would easily remember the C/O's name.... I was 2/O at that time.

I know it's not a Mike so I probably have the wrong person, but the C/O was not John Jubb from Hull, who went by the nick-name of The General by any chance? He was a very decent chap also.

I do remember Mike Mitchell as C/E - he was a very decent chap and an excellent engineer.

Kind regards
Mark

NINJA
28th July 2006, 17:33
Memerory recall is a terrible sign of old age. The earliest voyages of the Cavendish the mate was Malcolm from St Ives, I cannot remember his surname, his wife Diane accompanied him, a later voyage I did, General Jubb was 1/0 and " Maggie May" was 2/0.

'O' happy days.

Regards

Ninja,

leo hannan
28th July 2006, 21:04
Memerory recall is a terrible sign of old age. The earliest voyages of the Cavendish the mate was Malcolm from St Ives, I cannot remember his surname, his wife Diane accompanied him, a later voyage I did, General Jubb was 1/0 and " Maggie May" was 2/0.

'O' happy days.

Regards

Ninja,
Hi Tonga/Ninja. Well done Ninja the guy was May and he was mate when I was there. Yes Mark, John(General) Jubb joined us later on. Ninja I was also there when Malcom & his wife were onboard. I think their name was Grey(Gray) Also on there with a 2/O John Shepherd and his wife Lou,Ch.Stwd at the time was John Ronicle(a Cheat) He got the empty beer kegs filled in Australia and charged UK prices. He would have made over 1000 profit but I happened to see an invoice the contents of which I passed to Roy Southgate. Needless to say the error was corrected. Its rather strange what one remembers when the memory is jogged.
Regards
Leo (*))

NINJA
28th July 2006, 21:34
Hello Leo,

You are spot on, it was Malcolm Gray, we paid off together in Santos as well as Roy Southgate, Dai Davies and John Ronicle, (enough said). When the Faraday was new out of the yard Maggie Maywas 2/0 and Roy Southgate was 1/0, one of natures gentlemen. I often wonder what happened to Roy, I think Mitch said he ended up in living France.

Regards

Ninja.

kev
29th July 2006, 00:03
John Jubb, the "General", I remember as Master on the Lord Kelvin. Real good bloke!

kev

leo hannan
30th July 2006, 15:40
Hello Leo,

You are spot on, it was Malcolm Gray, we paid off together in Santos as well as Roy Southgate, Dai Davies and John Ronicle, (enough said). When the Faraday was new out of the yard Maggie Maywas 2/0 and Roy Southgate was 1/0, one of natures gentlemen. I often wonder what happened to Roy, I think Mitch said he ended up in living France.

Regards

Ninja.
Hi Ninja.
I must have been there when you paid off in Santos. I think Dai Davies paid off in ladies clothes for a bet(a keg of beer) he then stripped off at the bottom of the gangway and changed back into his own clothes, much to the astonishment of the locals. I must have been 2nd stwd then. I think Roy might have ended up in France as he was rather friendly with the young lady interpreter at the yard in La Ciotat where the Cavendish was built, much to the chagrin of John Glover who was also keen on her. Mind you though Ninja I'm not to sure of my facts as I was on the Cavendish twice. Once as 2nd Stwd and then again as Ch. Stwd.
Regards
Leo (*))

leo hannan
30th July 2006, 15:43
John Jubb, the "General", I remember as Master on the Lord Kelvin. Real good bloke!

kev
Hi Kev.
Any idea where John Jubb is now?
Regards
Leo (*))

kev
30th July 2006, 18:56
absolutley no idea. I know he was from Hull. Long retired now I would imagine.

Kev

non descript
30th July 2006, 21:41
John Jubb, the "General", was one of the best Masters that Houlders had, and excellent man of the highest integrity and professional ablity. I owe him quite a lot, in that without him I would not have enjoyed the promotion that unexpectedly came my way.

leo hannan
31st July 2006, 14:38
John Jubb, the "General", was one of the best Masters that Houlders had, and excellent man of the highest integrity and professional ablity. I owe him quite a lot, in that without him I would not have enjoyed the promotion that unexpectedly came my way.
Hi Tonga.
You say promotion came unexpectedly but knowing the "General" you would not have had it if you weren't ready or capable. I found the majority of the Gas Tanker crews of a very high quality.
Regards
Leo (*))

non descript
3rd August 2006, 22:38
Hello Leo,

Regards

Ninja.

Thanks Ninja, yes your are spot on, it was Michael Gray - another decent bloke and sailed with him again on the Humboldt.
Regards
Mark

Glen Broughton
25th June 2007, 01:05
Hi Leo,
Could it be that you are the same Leo that did the Convoy Suez on the Cumbria with me, then 3/0 and Cleggy2/0.
And it all ended in hospital in Italy.
And were you there on the Cavendish when we picked up the boat people.

Glen

Hi Ninja.
I must have been there when you paid off in Santos. I think Dai Davies paid off in ladies clothes for a bet(a keg of beer) he then stripped off at the bottom of the gangway and changed back into his own clothes, much to the astonishment of the locals. I must have been 2nd stwd then. I think Roy might have ended up in France as he was rather friendly with the young lady interpreter at the yard in La Ciotat where the Cavendish was built, much to the chagrin of John Glover who was also keen on her. Mind you though Ninja I'm not to sure of my facts as I was on the Cavendish twice. Once as 2nd Stwd and then again as Ch. Stwd.
Regards
Leo (*))

marinero
25th June 2007, 14:32
Hi Leo,
Could it be that you are the same Leo that did the Convoy Suez on the Cumbria with me, then 3/0 and Cleggy2/0.
And it all ended in hospital in Italy.
And were you there on the Cavendish when we picked up the boat people.

Glen

Good Morning Glen.
Yes, 'twas I on the Cumbria with the words of the song to the tune of "convoy".
I think it was Cleggy who had to remove the remains of my wisdom tooth that had been left in by my dentist before I left the UK (4 Bells Rum as a painkiller). I cannot remember a hospital in Italy although I had to leave the ship there as I had been transferred to the "Oregis" in the North Sea. At the time I was not to happy but once I got settled in I never looked back. What are you doing now and where are you? I retired early and now live in Southern Spain. Mind you though I would go back to sea like a shot if I could.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)
PS I was not on the "Cavendish" when you picked up the boat people

non descript
23rd July 2007, 18:17
I think it was Cleggy who had to remove the remains of my wisdom tooth that had been left in by my dentist before I left the UK (4 Bells Rum as a painkiller).

Leo,

Am I correct in thinking your "dentist" was also the Chief Engineer, or am I getting confused ?

Mark

marinero
23rd July 2007, 20:54
Leo,

Am I correct in thinking your "dentist" was also the Chief Engineer, or am I getting confused ?

Mark

Hi Mark.
Just a touch confused, Cleggy was the 2nd Mate and the ship in question at the time was the "Cumbria" Trouble is I was on so many of Houlder's ships I also get a touch confused. Mind you though I can also claim advanced age.
Regards (Thumb)

non descript
23rd July 2007, 22:53
Leo,

My apologies... I must learn to read (Jester)

Hey!marconi
23rd December 2013, 19:57
Hi Tonga/Ninja. Well done Ninja the guy was May and he was mate when I was there. Yes Mark, John(General) Jubb joined us later on. Ninja I was also there when Malcom & his wife were onboard. I think their name was Grey(Gray) Also on there with a 2/O John Shepherd and his wife Lou,Ch.Stwd at the time was John Ronicle(a Cheat) He got the empty beer kegs filled in Australia and charged UK prices. He would have made over 1000 profit but I happened to see an invoice the contents of which I passed to Roy Southgate. Needless to say the error was corrected. Its rather strange what one remembers when the memory is jogged.
Regards
Leo (*))

Hi Leo
Nobody has a worse memory than me , but times on the Cavendish are like bright lights in the darkness.
John Shepherd's wife was Margo, Irish lady, Lou was Lou Hardie, wife of Ian, Ch Off. sailed with little son, Simon, gorgeous child, loved by everyone on board. Bosun used to take him to the focsle head for picnics, giving his Mum a short rest.

R/O Frank Ralph

Ray A
2nd December 2014, 20:34
Hi Glen or Sam as we called you I also was on the Cavendish when we picked up the boat peeps I was cadet at time Ray Allen went back on her as 3/0