Clerk-Maxwell

kev
11th October 2005, 22:24
LPG tanker - Clerk Maxwell

fred henderson
11th October 2005, 23:57
Built by Hawthorn Leslie in 1966. The gas was contained in pressure tanks made from special "Artic D" plates. Very tricky stuff to weld.
Scrapped 1986. A good life for an experimental design.

Fred

kev
12th October 2005, 18:46
Arctic D. Thats right, I remember now.

Kev

fred henderson
12th October 2005, 23:49
Kev, you seem to be the forums resident gas tanker expert or at least a gas tanker buff. Would you like to tell us which before we make fools of ourselves.

Fred (egg)

kev
13th October 2005, 18:25
Hi Fred

Not an expert. I spent most of my Deck Cadetship on gas tankers in the late 70's / early 80's. I certainly have some good memories, hence my interest.

Arctic D made me smile. Its 20 odd years since I heard of it. Quite amazing stuff.

Never sailed on the Maxwell though. Was she a pressure ship? The Lord Kelvin / Faraday and Cavendish carried the gas at atmospheric pressure, which was constantly pumped through compressors which "fridged" the stuff, keeping the gas liquid. The compressor room can be seen just forward of the superstructure in the photo of the Maxwell. The Joule and the Humboldt were pressure ships but I am not too sure about the Maxwell? In pressure ships you quite often see the cargo tanks standing proud of the deck, not so in the Maxwell.

Kev

fred henderson
13th October 2005, 23:44
Hallo Kev.
The Hawthorn Leslie gas ships were all to the same basic design. Clark Maxwell was not a pressure ship, she carried gas in the same way as Faraday.

Fred

kev
14th October 2005, 20:20
Hi Fred

I have just read that the Maxwell was also the first LPG tanker to be built in the UK. Do you have any more info on other H. Leslie gas tankers, names etc?

Kev

fred henderson
14th October 2005, 20:43
Hi Kev

Prior to the formation of Swan Hunter & Tyne Shipbuilders (SHATS) on 1 January 1968, we built the following: -

Ship 759: Clark Maxwell; Houlder Bros; 8,298 grt; 1966.
Ship 763: Mariano Escabedo; PEMEX; 7,992 grt; 1967.
Ship 764: Petroquimico 1; PEMEX; 1,827 grt barge; 1966.
Ship 766: Wiltshire; Bibby; 10,036 grt; 1968.

Wiltshire was a Hawthorn Leslie contract, completed as agents by SHATS.

Best regards

Fred

kev
15th October 2005, 10:36
Thanks Fred

I have to say that I am amazed at the info that is shared on this site. Thanks again.

Kev

kev
16th October 2005, 13:52
Fred

I have just posted what I think is a great photo of the Maxwell in the gallery.

Just press this link:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7886

Kev

non descript
27th November 2005, 19:01
Mr James Clerk-Maxwell was an interesting person, a Scot, which name tended to upset the French elements of Gaz Ocean - his biography is here (http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Maxwell.html)

I doubt that he would have ever imagined his name being used for an atmospheric Gas Tanker. I never sailed on her, but the reference to "Artic D" brought back a few happy memories of dropping the odd cubic metre of propane at -32 on to the steel that was only at -2 to "cool it down"...Not a good idea but sadly a necessity, when the re-liquifaction plant was as useless as it was on the "Joule".

NB. I think there might have been two Joules.. The first was probably the small pressure ship, like the (excellent) Humboldt and the later one was an atmospheric ship -the ex HAVGAS - and frankly she was wholly incapable of keeping the cargo contained and was a liability to all. She had to dubious honour of not only leaking salt water into the containment space, but also leaking gas out of the cargo lines on deck.

kev
8th January 2006, 21:06
Your eyes did not half water in the compressor room when carrying liquid ammonia!!!!!

Kev

non descript
8th January 2006, 22:07
Your eyes did not half water in the compressor room when carrying liquid ammonia!!!!!

Kev

Absolutely Kev, but at least one never suffered from a cold.

Tonga

ps. Any chance someone who has the right access to these things, can correct the spelling on the thread name please?

Stuart.Henderson
22nd January 2006, 10:53
Any former Wiltshire crew out there? I was on her maiden voyage, many unplanned power shut downs due to bride control problems!

Stuart

ruud
22nd January 2006, 16:39

Tonga

ps. Any chance someone who has the right access to these things, can correct the spelling on the thread name please?
Ahoy,
Done......name is changed.

non descript
29th January 2006, 13:43
Good try Ruud, but maybe only an Administrator or the Thread Starter (Kev) can edit the Thread Title.

Either way, it would be nice to see it changed. Its name is CLERK-MAXWELL and reasonably unique in having a hyphenated name

non descript
5th February 2006, 13:12

Tonga

Thanks Derek, well done.
(Applause)

Mick quinn
2nd March 2006, 22:07
Thought some of you may want to share an old C-M hand's memories.

I joined the C-M in March 74 in a grotty little port in Mexico called Minatitlan after a nightmare trip on numerous planes from the UK. I wasn't too fussed about joining a "gassie" but I was under a Company contract so had to go wherever etc.

Saw many interesting ports & some you could never call ports from Galveston to Santos. We covered many many miles on that ship with a brilliant crew. Down side was gas freeing but we soon got used to that. Could not get used to not being able to smoke anywhere, as a 40 a day man it was agony!

Left the ship in somewhat unusual circs at Curacao after being carted off ashore to the local hospital with what turned out to be a form of gas poisoning. Stayed in the hopsital for 10 days, bloody nurses/doctors couldn't or wouldn't speak any English before local Brit Consulate eventually managed to put in an appearance. Flew home via USA, but landed in NY on Independence day. Bad move, all movement at airport non-existent and had a hell of a job getting on a connecting BOAC flight back to London. An absolute pain at the time, but good fun thinking about it afterwards. The C-M was my last deep-sea ship so she holds a rather special place in my sea dog heart.

DerekC
26th March 2006, 22:25
Fred

I have just posted what I think is a great photo of the Maxwell in the gallery.

Just press this link:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7886

Kev
Kev, your right that is a great picture of the old C-M. I sailed on her around the early 70's, I have spent many a 'happy' hour in that compressor room, stripping down the goddam compressors. One trip we did down to BA lost 200 tonnes of cargo because the compressors threw their collective hand in...venting most of the way down. It was hell! but what a brilliant time we had overall on that ship. I haven't thought about her for a few years now but I will try and dredge up some names to share.

The mate was Mick...? My deck cadet buddy was Alan Barnes (Barney), Captain was...Pugh (I Think), sec was...can't recall, but good bloke anyway...as were all!

regards

DerekC
(Thumb)

DerekC
29th March 2006, 12:37
MIck,

I'd forgotten about Minititlan...and the same runs you were on. I left the Maxwell just before you joined ie Jan 74. Can you recall who was Captain and Chief Officer?

regards
Derek

Mick quinn
13th April 2006, 22:42
Derek

I joined the C-M in Minititlan on 5-3-74 and left on 26-6-74. According to my discharge book the Mate was Matthews and the Skipper scrawl is intelligible. Not sorry to leave a "Gassie" as a heavy smoker (then) it was pure agony.
Regards
Mick

al mac
19th June 2006, 11:14
Hi Stuart

Ex Wiltshire - yes. However, i was somewhat after the maiden voyage! I sailed on the Wilty in 1992. She had been on B/B charter to the Aussies 1985 - 1990 and her accommodation was altered from the original, particularly so with the addition of 'The Penthouse' aft. I specifically remember terrible A/C whilst crossing the Arabian Sea to Sikka, and also a leaking cargo tank after poking a chock into. Relatively easy to find at the time - we were carrying Ammonia!

Al Mac

non descript
19th June 2006, 12:06
Derek

I joined the C-M in Minititlan on 5-3-74 and left on 26-6-74. According to my discharge book the Mate was Matthews and the Skipper scrawl is intelligible. Not sorry to leave a "Gassie" as a heavy smoker (then) it was pure agony.
Regards
Mick

Mick,

That would be Nigel Matthews, a very decent bloke (and no wonder you can make out his signature, as his hand-writing was always impecable copper-plate). He eventually made Master on the Humboldt, doing the Riga-Rouen run with propane. He later joined the shore-staff at Redhill and is now retired.
Regards
Mark

NINJA
19th June 2006, 14:08
Mick,

That would be Nigel Matthews, a very decent bloke (and no wonder you can make out his signature, as his hand-writing was always impecable copper-plate). He eventually made Master on the Humboldt, doing the Riga-Rouen run with propane. He later joined the shore-staff at Redhill and is now retired.
Regards
Mark

Was L. Cuttriss the skipper on the "Black Max", he was definitely on during the latter part of 74.

Regards

Ninja.

non descript
1st December 2006, 20:57
Was L. Cuttriss the skipper on the "Black Max", he was definitely on during the latter part of 74.

Regards

Ninja.

Ninja,

Looking at my records, you are almost certainly correct and Les Cuttriss would be the one; certainly his hand-writing was no match for the impeccable copper-plate efforts of Nigel (*))

Regards
Mark

TangoVictor
5th December 2006, 17:09
Hello
I have just come across this forum and recognised a few names from my deck cadetship with Houlder Bros in the early seventies.
I sailed on the Clerk-Maxwell joining her in Barcelona on 29.07.74 and leaving in Rio Grande del Sol on 30.11.74. My fellow deck cadet at this time was Derek Winning and I remember Mike Dale as the Ch.Off with Les Cuttress as Master. Gas tankers or any other tankers were definately not for me although I did enjoy my time on the Black Pig with raucous nights in the bar singing "Out in the west Texas town of El Paso". Ships like the Hardwicke Grange settled my career direction hence my move to Cunard as soon as I completed my cadetship.
During my voyage we took the first cargo of Butadienne (sorry about spelling) from Antwerp to Galveston. Spent most of the six hour compressor watches venting off. Then we were towed off the berth by fire wires when a rail tanker exploded. The effects of Butadiane coming into contact with air and the rail cars being shunted had not been explained.

non descript
31st December 2006, 19:15
I’m afraid to say that “venting off” was a major part of the cargo operation on many of the Fiery Kipper fleet – the reliquifaction plants on board these ships were seldom up to the task. Your marginal concern over exposure to butadiene was well founded; viz: at acute high exposure, damage to the central nervous system will start to occur. Symptoms such as distorted blurred vision, vertigo, general tiredness, decreased blood pressure, headache, nausea, decreased pulse rate, and fainting may be witnessed. As the exposure to butadiene occurs at a higher level and for a longer duration, the effects witnessed will become more serious.

So there we are... there’s a moral there somewhere.

Les_Blues
31st December 2006, 23:17
Tango, were you on the CM the same time as me. I paid off in the Rio Grand. We were bussed up to Rio from where we were flown home the next day. I was on the CM for 8 months, joined her in Santos after flying out to Sao Paulo from where we got a taxi on a long drive to Santos. We did indeed dock at Barcelona on that trip where we saw the Royston Grange tied up after being towed across the Atlantic. I loved the CM, bar the amonia fumes. Minititlan was a strange place, if I remember rightly we were stuck there for 2 or 3 weeks. There were a couple more ports we visitted on the Minititlan river, barring spelling mistakes they were Nanchital and Cuotsacoulcus. I met an ex merchant seaman recently who was amazed I had been to Cuotsacoulcus, he thought he was the only person in the world to have been sent there.

NINJA
1st January 2007, 14:51
Hello Les Blues,

Well that makes three of us who have been to Coatzacolcos, spent a month on the Clerk-Maxwell running between Coatzacolalcos and Minatitlan, cannot say I agree with your comment that the "Black Max" was loveable.

A bit of useless info. when the yanks looked at building an alternative to the Panama Canal, they looked at using nukes to blast a cut from Coatzacoalcos to the Pacific.

Regards

Ninja.

Les_Blues
1st January 2007, 22:43
Thanks for the Coatzacolcos spelling correction Tonga, now I can tell my grandchildren and their children that such places might be found on google, I wonder if its changed much?

non descript
1st January 2007, 23:40
Thanks for the Coatzacolcos spelling correction Tonga, now I can tell my grandchildren and their children that such places might be found on google, I wonder if its changed much?

You're most welcome Les Blues, but it was actually Ninja. (Thumb)

Les_Blues
2nd January 2007, 22:47
So it was, silly me!

non descript
2nd January 2007, 22:55
So it was, silly me!

No, not really - I do it frequently. (==D)

MARINEJOCKY
3rd February 2008, 13:28
I was only on the Clerk-Maxwell for a number of weeks from 28-4-79 to 6-6-79 as 2nd engineer, joining in Pascagoula and leaving in Donaldsonville then I had to transfer to MY ship, the Cavendish.

Only a short time there but some great memories and I think my mother still has my old "I survived the Black Max" tee shirt.

Ian MacD
27th March 2008, 20:38
Derek C
I joined CM at Maracaibo in 1966 as 2/0 Captain Ron Hedger, Mate John Pope, other 2/0 Davy Horn, 3/0 Dave Garrard, C/E Derek ?, 2/E Vic Pegg and so on.
Hard working vessel, lots of teething problems but tremendous espirit de corps.

Clerk Maxwell was the first atmospheric gas tanker under the red ensign, however the first gas tanker was the 400 ton Avogadro which Houlders bought as their introduction to the gas business and as a training ground for those going to the then building Clerk Maxwell.
Regards
Ian

duquesa
27th March 2008, 20:54
Knew Dave Horn. Last seen when Ch.Off out of Harwich with Sealink.

Ian MacD
27th March 2008, 21:02
Tonga,
Must respectfully disagree. As Mate of HUmboldt I loaded a cargo of Butadiene in Tokayama Japan 1969 without using the top tanks resulting in the other tanks being 99% full and the vapour super-saturated. Nevertheless pulled temperature down on passage to New Orleans from summer ambient temp to atmospheric temp. First few days were a nightmare. Regards Ian

Ian MacD
27th March 2008, 21:07
good shipmate Dave, as jolly as they come!

Did you sail on the old Duquesa? I boarded her a few times in BA when I was an apprentice on Oswestry Grange (a lovely fat old lady) in the early sixties.
Regards

non descript
27th March 2008, 21:37
Ian,
I totally agree with you, the Humboldt (being a pressure ship) was poetry in motion and I could never say a bad word against her. My earlier comment at # 27 “I’m afraid to say that “venting off” was a major part of the cargo operation on many of the Fiery Kipper fleet” was a gentle criticism of the atmospheric boat, Joule, which whilst a happy ship and a very good ship, was a nightmare in terms of re-liquifaction. It would have been both wiser and kinder for me to have written “...major part of the cargo operation on the Joule”...
(Thumb)

duquesa
27th March 2008, 22:14
Ian, yes indeed. One of the finest, if not the finest vessels I ever sailed on and with a crew to match. It was a bit of a wrench to be transferred to the Imperial Transport. That is probably a bit unfair as she too was a reasonably happy ship, but not in the same league. I'd been on her before and she was better first time around, probably due to the c/o, the brilliant Paddy Slevin.

Nova Scotian
22nd May 2008, 12:56
Derek C
I joined CM at Maracaibo in 1966 as 2/0 Captain Ron Hedger, Mate John Pope, other 2/0 Davy Horn, 3/0 Dave Garrard, C/E Derek ?, 2/E Vic Pegg and so on.

Clerk Maxwell was the first atmospheric gas tanker under the red ensign, however the first gas tanker was the 400 ton Avogadro which Houlders bought as their introduction to the gas business and as a training ground for those going to the then building Clerk Maxwell.
Regards
Ian

Hi Ian:

I believe this is you taken aboard Clerk-Maxwell on Christmas Day 1967. Also attached is a picture of "Boxy" the Electrician and one of Peter Dunford, 3/0 and Tony Barras, Apprentice.

I dug them out from an old album hence the poor quality. There are other pictures of CM in my Gallery.

Regards

Nova Scotian

marinero
22nd May 2008, 22:17
Derek C

Regards
Ian

hi Ian.
Sadly Vic Pegg now passed away a while back. I worked with him in the Offshore Office.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

non descript
22nd May 2008, 23:11
hi Ian.
Sadly Vic Pegg now passed away a while back. I worked with him in the Offshore Office.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

Sorry to hear about Vic Pegg, I think it was he who worked with me for days and nights helping rebuild the Sulzer Cargo Compressor on the Joule (both of us having to wear BA apparatus, because the compressor room was full of ammonia gas) - we finished we turned it on, went for a beer and then read the instruction book... Sadly, if we had done it in the other order, we might have come across the text in red which advised "After a rebuilt, always run the unit for a maximum of 20 minutes, then allow it to rest for 2 hours; failure to observe this rule will result in permanent damage to the compressor" .... It did and the result was quite spectacular (and expensive) (Jester)

JOC42
22nd June 2008, 00:33
Joined the "Mad Max" as R/O around '78 ( can't find the discharge book ;-(( )
Spent 6 months mainly in the Med - a very eventful trip!!
Superb memories of singing "Smoke gets in your eyes" in the bar along with other Platters songs... Had a major incident off the bay of Sidra (Libya) when a storm brewed and we were discharging onto a lighter bouy - lost the flukes off the anchor ... next stop Valetta, Malta to get the new anchor - couldn't go alongside as we were not gas free !!!
Les Cutriss was the Old Man and Chris Pawlyn, 1st mate from Mevagissey took over as old man - straight into a force 10 in Biscay - damaged the strakes and ended up with the company welder Tony (ex SAS??? ) drilling the cracks and welding in the containment spaces. I was looking after the fire hoses whilst a junior R/O (from South Shields - Alistair??) did the watches. Still have flashbacks of the welding gear and me with a firehose next to the gas cargo tanks ..... wait a minute??? .....
Ran aground on the Seine coming back from Rouen to Le Havre, way toooo much cargo... we were stopped in Le Havre by the French for discharging oily bilges in the channel on the way there ... hi tech Cessna flew over us and took photos, wrong ship though .... ;-(( We met Chris and his wife in the early 80's whilst on hols in Newquay but sadly two years later Chris died from throat cancer - a wonderful family man and my mate at sea!!!
Second mate on the Maxwell was John ?? with his wife. One of the engineers, he had his wife also - she was an ex nav cadet from Fleetwood.
Even stranger memories of the cook from Cape Verde - martial arts expert, floored my cabin steward in one round house kick .... whilst I had gone down to the crew bar to deliver a telegram. Cook then asked me to send a msg to HO asking to be relieved - on grounds of illness.
Hard to believe its so long ago - time marches on ....
Be good

John

marinero
22nd June 2008, 15:20
Hi John.
You are right about Chris being a lovely bloke. I sailed with him for quite a while on the Humboldt.
Regards(Thumb)

Hugh Thomas
22nd June 2008, 17:58
This is very strange loads of memories flooding back having stumbled across this site I did three trips on the Max 79/85/85-86 I think I was the last Houlder Brothers crew member onboard being the third engineer shutting down the AP Ruston Alternator for the last time, and leaving her for scrape in Aviles Spain. Our departure was delayed due to the scrape yard being unhappy with a load of Pig Iron in the bow that they hadn’t calculated for Oh and the ship bell was missing. With everyone paid off but I transferred directly to the Faraday. Many happy memories singing Elpaso, and smoke gets in your eyes.

garwatts
1st July 2008, 01:58
"the company welder Tony (ex SAS??? ) drilling the cracks and welding in the containment spaces"

John I seem to recall meeting the company welder on the Faraday - was he a scouser? I remember him being foolish enough to challenge the drinking prowess of Gary White the 'lecky......when we were in dry dock

Regards

Garry

JOC42
6th July 2008, 17:25
Hi Garry

Thats the fella - short stature, long dark hair and a 'tash ....

cheers

John

Ian MacD
9th July 2008, 22:28
Hi,

Good lord! I cannot believe I ever looked that young. Sorry for the delay in repling but I Hve ben on leave since the beginning of June and just got back.

I now recognise you and recall that you were quite tall. Dave Box and Tony Barras are exactly as I remember them, we all looked like kids. Probably the clean living and hard work.
Regards
Ian

ChrisCampbell
23rd August 2008, 11:33
Kev, your right that is a great picture of the old C-M. I sailed on her around the early 70's, I have spent many a 'happy' hour in that compressor room, stripping down the goddam compressors. One trip we did down to BA lost 200 tonnes of cargo because the compressors threw their collective hand in...venting most of the way down. It was hell! but what a brilliant time we had overall on that ship. I haven't thought about her for a few years now but I will try and dredge up some names to share.

The mate was Mick...? My deck cadet buddy was Alan Barnes (Barney), Captain was...Pugh (I Think), sec was...can't recall, but good bloke anyway...as were all!

regards

DerekC
(Thumb)

I Think you will find the mate was Mick Dale of "Out in the old west texas town of EL Paso " Fame I remember having some great nights in the bar
Regards Chris

saltyswamp
6th September 2008, 22:12
"the company welder Tony (ex SAS??? ) drilling the cracks and welding in the containment spaces"

John I seem to recall meeting the company welder on the Faraday - was he a scouser? I remember him being foolish enough to challenge the drinking prowess of Gary White the 'lecky......when we were in dry dock

Regards

Garry

Hi Wiggy the Welder Sailed a lot with him on the Joule loved him and his stories but after a while was able to fill in the gaps my self, and getting a beer out of him was a mamouth task.
stuart

garwatts
10th September 2008, 18:04
Stuart

That's the man! Tighter than a shark's ass at forty fathoms:-)

glenncraig
7th October 2008, 12:47
Hello Les Blues,

Well that makes three of us who have been to Coatzacolcos, spent a month on the Clerk-Maxwell running between Coatzacolalcos and Minatitlan, cannot say I agree with your comment that the "Black Max" was loveable.

A bit of useless info. when the yanks looked at building an alternative to the Panama Canal, they looked at using nukes to blast a cut from Coatzacoalcos to the Pacific.

Regards

Ninja.

Hi I just want to say that I went to Coatzacolcos while on the Humbolt
Glenn

non descript
7th October 2008, 13:04
Tighter than a shark's ass at forty fathoms:-)

What a delightful and wholly accurate expression; a simile worthy of retention. (Jester)

LOCKER
27th November 2009, 22:06
Others will remember well the techniques of Batch in personnel. He had a way with words.
He sent me to pre-sea course and said "When you come back we have a new ship which we want you to join"!.
Wonderful!
I went to Poplar (Via Red Ensign Club) and was taught by no less than Commander Bruty (ex RN). Wonderful man and I learnt a lot, but nothing much about how I would feel in heavy weather or ships that developed cracks in heavy weather.
1970 Batch sent me to join Houlders "new ship" at Stanlow, The Clerk Maxwell.
Apparently I was a sore sight standing on the quayside in full uniform, as I had been told to do!.
My first trip to sea.
So much for Batch's "New Ship".
We went to Lisbon in winter. It never stopped rolling from Liverpool bar all the way. I was as sick as a dog.
Off Finnistere water started coming into the duct keel. We spent a couple days in the duct keel driving wooden wedges into cracks. Commander Bruty had not mentioned this bit!!.
We could see an erie turquiose glow coming from the underside water. Fascinating
After Lisbon we went into Bute Drydock for major repairs. Now after my seagoing career I am so glad that my first vessel was the CM because I learnt so much that you never learn on new ships.

Here is the crew list Spring 1971
Everyone of these great people was significant in starting me off in my sea career:-

Master Les Cutriss One of the finest gentlemen at sea.
C/O Brian Dyson ( at this time he had not yet been involved in the watertight door incident)
C/O Gordon Gray
2/O Mike Dale ( he had some interesting cow calendars)
2/O John Williams (I think he eventually went to Bibby Gas Fleet? or some other NECoast Gas outfit like Gibsons)
(Two C/O's and sometimes 2 x 2/O's and 2 x 3/E's because Houlders was one of the very few LPG Companies to run with deck and engine officer gas machinery engineers. This training and promotion eventually resulted in Masters who new a lot about the gas system.
C/E Richard ????? (Dick ?????) up to drydock then:-
C/E Jack Tozer (Jumping Jack- was a real gentleman and a good engineer and instructor. The engine room dirty log always had to be totally filled in and immaculate. He spent a lot of time inspecting his bedroom deckhead).
2/E Fred Hendry Geordie
3/E Lemmie Gabeka from Swansea -seemed to know a lot about scrap metal and was expert on mustangs and stallions.
3/E Ian Taite (Arbroath Willie - lived very very close to the Oak Tree Arbroath. He taught me lots about gas compressors and engines.
4/E Georgie Frame scottish
5/E A. Houghton
Jun/E K Reay very green
Elec Ian Young
Cat Off Ron Clark
Dk/Cdt R Stringer
Dk/Cdt J. Colebrook
E.D.H D Munro
AB A. Tudor
AB A. Stupple.

I would appreciate hearing any update on these guys or getting in touch.
Keith Reay

NINJA
28th November 2009, 11:06
Hello Locker,

Your note about Jumping Jack and the deckhead inspection rings a bell, sailed with him a couple of times, on the Cavendish his saying was if you slept 12 hours a day, a six month trip lasted only three months.

Sailed only once on the Clerk-Maxwell and she was not called the Black Max for nothing.

Regards

Ninja.

Geoff of Hull
28th November 2009, 14:03
I joined the Max in Fawley 1979 and did a 6 month trip on her,Jerry Dancer was Bosun at the time I believe the captain was Doggsy Dyson .Joe Wilson was the mate at 21 years old if I remember correct Steve Rathbone was 2nd mate both now Tees pilots to my knowledge.We did Mexico,Puerto Rico,Phili,Tees,Porsgrun,Moerdyke,Cartergena,Huelv a,one of the chief mates had his wife with him would it be Dave Milburn?I also believe Colm Clare was a 2nd mate too from Wexford
At the time I was also told she was the first of her kind to be built in the UK

LOCKER
28th November 2009, 16:25
I joined the Max in Fawley 1979 and did a 6 month trip on her,Jerry Dancer was Bosun at the time I believe the captain was Doggsy Dyson .Joe Wilson was the mate at 21 years old if I remember correct Steve Rathbone was 2nd mate both now Tees pilots to my knowledge.We did Mexico,Puerto Rico,Phili,Tees,Porsgrun,Moerdyke,Cartergena,Huelv a,one of the chief mates had his wife with him would it be Dave Milburn?I also believe Colm Clare was a 2nd mate too from Wexford
At the time I was also told she was the first of her kind to be built in the UK

Hi Geoff
Hi Ninja
Just look at that list of ports.
Being smaller than average she went to some fantastic ports and at that time the Masters gave some good shore leave even although she was hard working and needed lots of attention.
On CM I went many ports Mexico and SAmerica also. Coatzacoalcos, Minatitlan, Valparaiso, Quintero, Las Salinas, Cartagena.
I also now seem to remember that Xmas 1970 there was Niel? Roberts 3/E, Fred George Chief Steward. Houlders was also employing some Basque region crews at that time.
I sailed wth both of the Wilson brothers.

steam train
29th November 2009, 21:40
Keith,
Did you sail on the MV Cotinga,during 1982.I sailed on the Max from
December 1977 to June 1978.Capt was M Dale,Joe Wilson 2nd mate.Geordie
Bruce C/E 2E Geoff Usher.Chris Brannan elect 3E Pete Misacosky wrong spelling i think.
Regards
Steam train

Geoff of Hull
29th November 2009, 23:22
How silly of me missing the one and only chief steward Bill Murdoch I believe ex Sargeant major in a Scottish regiment,The cook at the time was a Somalia from south Shields of course name was Ali who had served in Aden during the war and was as the story goes cook to Lord Mountbatten he had houses and a Kebab shop in Shields..a well known ab was Mac Swan from Wales and I think Bob Thorne? also did a trip bosun there when Gerry Dancer paid off sick

K urgess
30th November 2009, 00:01
Bill was the RSM of the Black Watch.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showpost.php?p=102309&postcount=56

MARINEJOCKY
30th November 2009, 00:42
As a first tripper I was asked for my impression of the lovely girls on the Tennents cans and I proceeded to tell all and sundry what I would do to them as they would not be able to resist my charms. Unfortunately for me one of those listening was Bill Murdock who happened to be about 3 foot taller than me, or so it seemed.

I can tell you that the only physical contact between me and any member of that Murdock family was Bill's hand hitting my head very very hard.

Black Max, I think was one of the best, the Joule was hard and nearly killed me and "my" ship the Cavendish was great but at times was a bit boring compared to the other gas boats.

Geoff of Hull
1st December 2009, 02:06
Of interest to Marconi sahib..The Sparks with us on that trip was from Hull and had sat his ticket at Queens Gardens with me before I decided to get married and swallowed the anchor for a while, returning as an Ab on the Max much to his delight thinking there was 2 sparkies aboard!! The guy was Paul Robinson who I later met up with when he was at Portishead and also in Hull quite a few years ago..Lost touch now of course

glyn moorhouse
1st March 2010, 13:53
i joined clerk maxwell on 3-6-74 @ punta cardon maracaibo as a 1st trip junior engineer along with captain matthews & jim clarke the leaving captain was les cuttriss i paid off 28-10-74 anyone remember me?

LOCKER
9th March 2010, 02:58
Keith,
Did you sail on the MV Cotinga,during 1982.I sailed on the Max from
December 1977 to June 1978.Capt was M Dale,Joe Wilson 2nd mate.Geordie
Bruce C/E 2E Geoff Usher.Chris Brannan elect 3E Pete Misacosky wrong spelling i think.
Regards
Steam train

No I never sailed on Cotinga.
I was on Joule, Faraday, CM, Orotava,Orenda,Cumbria,SwanRiver,
Keith

evan.jones
14th April 2010, 21:26
Any former Wiltshire crew out there? I was on her maiden voyage, many unplanned power shut downs due to bride control problems!

Stuart

i was on the clerk maxwell outside ba we took your cargo because you were to heavy to go to la plata if i remember crrectly evan anglesey

tonymorcom
4th October 2010, 23:08
A lot of names ring bells in this forum especially Joe Wilson who I was at Hull with . I did 5 months on the Black Max as Cadet. Joined in Panama and according to my discharge book left at somewhere called Yarimca(?). Les Cuttriss was the capt and my only real recollections of the trips were the continuous piss ups. N Matthews was the Capt who paid me off. 3 weeks later ended up on the Humboldt.

Nick Bridges
28th January 2013, 19:50
Hi everyone, just found this amazing site and spent all afternoon on ii! Did 2 tripos on the Clerk-Maxwell, names posted I remember sailing with(not neccessarily on the Max), Keith Reay, Hugh Thomas(college as well), Geoff Usher,Tony the Welder, Les Cutriss, Mick Dale,John Jenkins(Orenda) Frank Cusworth, Arthur Swift,Malcolm Elliot(Cumbria)Bob Mc Cusker, Bill Murcoch,'Gentleman' Tom Reid,I could go on and on now I've started, would be great to hear from anyone- I was with Houlders 1973-1983, Best Wishes to all that I sailed with, Nick Bridges

MARINEJOCKY
30th January 2013, 09:38
Hi Nick,

Where u with me on that long trip & excellent run ashore in Rio with our stay there seeming to go on for ever.

Then there was the time we went aground off the top end off Denmark, the Cumbria was my first trip.

I think we paid off in Emden in Germany.

You will soon get a few replies from the rest of the Houlder Bros. guys on here. John P. will reply I am sure he was with us, glover was old man & Jackie Scotland was chief, Vernon dukes was 3/E.

I now live in Florida, look up my profile for the details.

Good to hear you joined the site, it's calmed a lot since SM & I do not stir the pot and him & I are real busy with work.

Best regards, Malcolm Elliott

Nick Bridges
30th January 2013, 10:15
Hi Malcolm, good to hear from you, goodness, wasn't it a long time ago?Cumbria, was my first trip, wasn't I green, I remember it well.I joined in Antwerp, replacing Bill Bradley who had been thrown through a window I think.What a trip, 3 weeks in Rio! Also went to Odessa and Eregli in Black sea I think, may have paid off in Emden, don't remember going aground. George Sutherland was Lecky, 'Gentleman'Tom Reid 4th, Vernon Dukes was a character!I stayed at sea till 1983 I think, got my chief's ticket, but by then everyone had one and there were no ships left,made redundant, done all sorts since, ended up running my own small business. Live in Worcestershire, married in 1978, wife died in 1997, 3 children now grown up and all doing well.Retired a few years back, do a bit of single-handed ocean racing(at fairly low level).How about you?
Best Wishes, Nick

John.Wilkinson
30th January 2013, 11:01
Hi Nick

I sailed on Cumbria 74/75 as Lecky, did 2 trips. Sailed with Vernon & Bill Murdoch who you mention.

The first trip I joined in Port Kembla the second trip Istanbul.

Regards

John Wilkinson

Nick Bridges
30th January 2013, 11:32
Hi John, I only did the one trip on the Cumbria, did two consecutive trips on the Orenda Bridge after, then Westbury. Sailed with Bill Murdoch on Maxwell, and again on Ocean Transport, when my wife sailed with me for two trips to South America. Bill was a great guy.
Best Wishes, Nick

Nick Bridges
30th January 2013, 12:01
Hi John, when I saw your name, I didn't think I remembered you, but now I'm not so sure?So long ago!
Best Wishes,.
Nick

nav
30th January 2013, 12:27
As an aside and something that the Scottish marine engineers on the C-M might appreciate, James Clerk Maxwell was a physicist who discovered many phenomena which he wrote amusing poetry about. His best known is "Rigid Body Sings," closely based on Comin' Through the Rye by Robert Burns.

It goes:

1. Gin a body meet a body
Flyin' through the air.
Gin a body hit a body,
Will it fly? And where?
Ilka impact has its measure,
Ne'er a ane hae I,
Yet a' the lads they measure me,
Or, at least, they try.

2. Gin a body meet a body
Altogether free,
How they travel afterwards
We do not always see.
Ilka problem has its method
By analytics high;
For me, I ken na ane o' them,
But what the waur am I?

dialect translation: "gin" = if .. "ilka" = every .. "ane" = one .. "hae" = have .. "a' " = all .. "ken" = know .. "waur" = worse

MARINEJOCKY
30th January 2013, 17:57
Hi Malcolm, good to hear from you, goodness, wasn't it a long time ago?Cumbria, was my first trip, wasn't I green, I remember it well.I joined in Antwerp, replacing Bill Bradley who had been thrown through a window I think.What a trip, 3 weeks in Rio! Also went to Odessa and Eregli in Black sea I think, may have paid off in Emden, don't remember going aground. George Sutherland was Lecky, 'Gentleman'Tom Reid 4th, Vernon Dukes was a character!I stayed at sea till 1983 I think, got my chief's ticket, but by then everyone had one and there were no ships left,made redundant, done all sorts since, ended up running my own small business. Live in Worcestershire, married in 1978, wife died in 1997, 3 children now grown up and all doing well.Retired a few years back, do a bit of single-handed ocean racing(at fairly low level).How about you?
Best Wishes, Nick

We went aground north of Denmark and ended up in dry dock in Antwerp and that is where bill was thrown through the window with me not far away, what a mess. He was very lucky as he was bleeding like a pig.

I will reply longer later but I am off shore on a 75 princess near Naples, Florida checking it out for a new owner

Regards, malcolm

vasco
31st January 2013, 01:47
I will reply longer later but I am off shore on a 75 princess
Regards, malcolm

She's a bit young for you, isn't she?

As forecast by Mal this is John P I was 3/O on the same trip.

The engineer did indeed go through a plate glass window, the circumstances of which evade me.

I always thought it was the guy with the Ginger hair in my photo of the Cumbria gang though since I have been corrected (I think)

MARINEJOCKY
31st January 2013, 05:40
Now now John P. no telling tales about Rio on this very public forum B\)

I think bill was blond, tall & skinny, I remember the fight starting but for some unknown reason they only picked on bill and left me alone then all of a sudden he was pushed backwards and went thru the window which was a pretty big one. Police and ambulance soon turned up. I know I went to the hospital see him, not sure if others were with me.

How and why the fight started I have no idea but that must have been nearly 40 years ago.

How's the weather John, hate to tell you but I am sitting outside at 11.30pm and it is 75.

vasco
2nd February 2013, 22:06
Weather cold and crisp. Just got home, they have sold my favourite ship, well its not so much the ship as the people.
Still life goes on, wondering where they will send me now.

Hugh Thomas
4th February 2013, 13:05
Hi everyone, just found this amazing site and spent all afternoon on ii! Did 2 tripos on the Clerk-Maxwell, names posted I remember sailing with(not neccessarily on the Max), Keith Reay, Hugh Thomas(college as well), Geoff Usher,Tony the Welder, Les Cutriss, Mick Dale,John Jenkins(Orenda) Frank Cusworth, Arthur Swift,Malcolm Elliot(Cumbria)Bob Mc Cusker, Bill Murcoch,'Gentleman' Tom Reid,I could go on and on now I've started, would be great to hear from anyone- I was with Houlders 1973-1983, Best Wishes to all that I sailed with, Nick Bridges

Hi Nick
This is daft but did you brew beer in your shed down the bottom of the garden while having a bonfire, this must have come from a conversation we had on the simple pleasures when on leave. Must have been Llandaff college but which course/ship we met I’m stumped
Hope you’re in good health.
Hugh. (Thumb)

Nick Bridges
4th February 2013, 21:52
Hi Hugh, thanks for e-mail ,remember you well-think we were both on the Max, certainly at Llandaff College, 2nds and Chiefs.Do you remember Chris Potter on the course, think he runs a gun-shop in the South-East.
I used to brew my own beer-in the kitchen- and drink it sat by a bonfire at the bottom of the garden, funny the the things that stick, didn't you do hair-cutting on board?On the Max, I think Neil Parker was Chief, Geoff Usher 2nd, Jimmy Heaney(with wife Nicky nee Cartwright, ex cadet)Pat Muckle Lecky-did 2 trips and get them mixed I think.Remember earlier trips, Cumbria, Orenda, Westbury, better than later ones
What are you doing now?Best Wishes, Nick

Nick Bridges
4th February 2013, 22:22
HiMalcolm and John, good to hear from you both, remember the Cumbria well, what a great trip!Bill Bradley was indeed tall, blond and skinny, I sailed with him later, on the Orenda I think.Tony Miller was Chief when I joined, then Jackie Scotland and his wife. 2nd Fred Lowson, 3rd Vernon Dukes, 4th Tom Reid, plus Malcolm and myself. On deck I remember Capt. Glover-was it him that chucked all the jungle-bunnies off in Rio?Boo-Hoo!-Henry Burgess C/o, Melvyn Oliver 2nd mate, yourself John as 3rd mate,cadets Kevin Moore and Chris Francis, Lecky was George Sutherland, then Les Kane.What a memory!(now, where are my glasses?!)I remember the earlier trips a lot better than the later ones.Best Wishes to you both and all former shipmates, Nick Bridges

Hugh Thomas
17th February 2013, 12:29
Hi Hugh, thanks for e-mail ,remember you well-think we were both on the Max, certainly at Llandaff College, 2nds and Chiefs.Do you remember Chris Potter on the course, think he runs a gun-shop in the South-East.
I used to brew my own beer-in the kitchen- and drink it sat by a bonfire at the bottom of the garden, funny the the things that stick, didn't you do hair-cutting on board?On the Max, I think Neil Parker was Chief, Geoff Usher 2nd, Jimmy Heaney(with wife Nicky nee Cartwright, ex cadet)Pat Muckle Lecky-did 2 trips and get them mixed I think.Remember earlier trips, Cumbria, Orenda, Westbury, better than later ones
What are you doing now?Best Wishes, Nick

Hi Nick
Yes I think I did a bit of barbering, I had forgotten CCP and your self were at Llandaff.
I left in 86 with my first son on the way.And joined Trinity House lighthouse service and I'm still here. I get my Max trips confused I remember all of the above,but on which trip ?
Hope your keeping well
Hugh.

Roger Olney
14th May 2013, 23:52
Les Cuttress was certainly Master on the Black Max sailed with him on a few trips. Paid off with him in Curacao dec 74.
I believe also during 75 and 76 Mick Dale c/o .

Roger Olney
15th May 2013, 00:07
i joined clerk maxwell on 3-6-74 @ punta cardon maracaibo as a 1st trip junior engineer along with captain matthews & jim clarke the leaving captain was les cuttriss i paid off 28-10-74 anyone remember me?

Hi Glyn I was second 29-7-74 to 16-12-74 left with Les so together but I am afraid gray cells bit dormant give me some memory joggers.

JOC42
17th July 2013, 15:02
On the Max, I think Neil Parker was Chief, Geoff Usher 2nd, Jimmy Heaney(with wife Nicky nee Cartwright, ex cadet)Pat Muckle Lecky-did 2 trips and get them mixed I think.

Nick - I was on the Mad Max at the same time when Jimmy & Nicky and Pat Muckle were onboard. I was the R/O.
Remember (in a fuzzy way) some very heavy nights in the bar on that trip ;-)

Hope you're well
JOC

garwatts
17th July 2013, 15:42
Nick - I was on the Mad Max at the same time when Jimmy & Nicky and Pat Muckle were onboard. I was the R/O.
Remember (in a fuzzy way) some very heavy nights in the bar on that trip ;-)

Hope you're well
JOC

I was R/O on the Faraday and heavy nights in the bar were par for the course ;) Our cheese and wine parties were legend - 1/2lb of cheddar and a supermarket trolly full to the brim with wine. Next day wine all gone. Someone said let's have another, get some more wine but don't bother with getting any more cheese as we still have plenty left(Pint)

tmshamburg
29th July 2013, 08:19
Hi, Its an old thread here i stumbled on, but i sailed on the black max in 79/80 master was M J Dale.
Prior the max I was eng cadet on the humboldt on the Riga/Rouen run,Summer 78! deck cadet was paid off sick so i had to take over the deck watch on reliquification. I was never so bored in my life!!
But i used to cool my coke with the purge line that came down on deck!! seems the mate and master liked the idea as well as they used to scream something from the bridge wing :)
rgds
Ian