Historic Ships E-Petition response

andysk
23rd December 2009, 00:57
I signed the e-petition on historic ships recently, and received a response from 10 Downing Street.

Take a look at : http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page21838

My response is - What a surprise !

treeve
23rd December 2009, 01:03
Similar in weight and content and intent to other responses to other similar and important e-petitions; They do not have the staff, they do not have the money, there are not enough reports of a problem, the appeal is too narrow in demand. I have signed any number of appeals, the answer is basically the same, we can't do anything about it. 'Yer on yer own mate ...'

benjidog
23rd December 2009, 22:16
Yes - I got the same bland response as well.

At least the petition about charges for radio for RNLI bore fruit so I guess it is worth trying these things.

treeve
24th December 2009, 00:36
No not at all ... no good being defeatist in this (dare I say it ) Great Land of independent minded fighters for Right, Decency and the Underdog. That is what sets us apart from the lapdogs.

Stoneroad
26th December 2009, 12:58
Well, at least some Historic Ships get some protection!
But, as with almost anything in the heritage/preservation sector, more would be better!

If you feel strongly about a particular vessel, then gift aid a donation to the supporting charity/trust if you are unable to help in a practical way.
One of the problems I am aware of is the Carrick/City of Adelaide, and there are many others, all needing help.

(By the way, Gift Aid is a means, for UK taxpayers, of getting money out of the UK government! to support trusts/charities)

We went through some of this, with the "William Riley" during her restoration, fortunately, we were able to get various grants (eg HLF for the main project, and help from PRISM with the oars) to assist financially. Gifts in kind, and help from volunteers can also count towards your 50% of the match funding.