Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2009

Johnnietwocoats
23rd December 2009, 03:33
I would like to take this opportunity to wish all my Bank Line mates all the best for the Festive Season for 2009.

I always enjoyed my Christmas Days at sea with Bank Line and Caltex/Texaco.

The Chief Steward, Cooks, Stewards and in fact the whole crew entered into the spirit of our Christmas even though it wasn't theirs.

Take care all..

TC(Smoke) (Smoke)

K urgess
23rd December 2009, 12:02
Season's Greetings reciprocated and extended to all other Bank Line members. (Thumb)
4 Christmasses on Bankboats
Mid North Atlantic
One day out of Houston
Between Lae and Madang
Actually ashore in Noumea
To match TC I also spent 2 Christmasses with Texaco (Norway) - both at sea (where else?)

Attached a festive Sprucebank in Noumea on Christmas Eve 1971
Yes, THAT long ago (Sad)

xrm
23rd December 2009, 12:39
Seasons Greetings to all.

I remember crossing the dateline on Christmas Day so two Christmases - the crew wanted an extra day off - Indian crew!

This picture was taken on one of the many Christmases at sea - not sure when or where or what ship.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/37756/ppuser/8903

Me in the middle with the Chief and 3rd Eng.

McMorine
23rd December 2009, 13:26
Of the twenty years I spent with Bank Line, twelve Christmases were spent away from home, occasionally in port, but the majority at sea. Sometimes working and sometimes not. Whether in port or at sea, I can not remember a bad one. I also remember some hectic times celebrating Chinese New Year, when we had Chinese crew onboard on the Far East Run.
To all the people who contribute to this site, whether ex Bank Line or not, I wish you all A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.
Regards Mac.

Johnnietwocoats
23rd December 2009, 18:23
Season's Greetings reciprocated and extended to all other Bank Line members. (Thumb)
4 Christmasses on Bankboats
Mid North Atlantic
One day out of Houston
Between Lae and Madang
Actually ashore in Noumea
To match TC I also spent 2 Christmasses with Texaco (Norway) - both at sea (where else?)

Attached a festive Sprucebank in Noumea on Christmas Eve 1971
Yes, THAT long ago (Sad)

More of a coincidince...When were you on the Norway......?

I am assuming it was the new Texaco Norway.

Take care
TC

K urgess
23rd December 2009, 18:35
More of a coincidince...When were you on the Norway......?

I am assuming it was the new Texaco Norway.

Take care
TC

Depends what you mean by new. [=P]
Built 1971.
That would be September '74 to January '75 and November '75 to February '76.
First one was Lisnave drydock to Rastan, to Genoa, to Sitra and off via Bahrein.
Second was Point a Pierre (31 days at anchor) to Rastan, to Point a Pierre and home.
Both with Robbie Armstrong.

Cheers
Kris

Donald McGhee
23rd December 2009, 21:12
To all ex Bank and Donaldson Line folk and all of the seagoing family, have a restful and enjoyable festive season.
Some of us 'down under' tend not to have the traditional Xmas feed (unless you are a real traditionalist) rather a more relaxed day, with barbecues, cold beers and sunshine (hopefully).
I'm off to Urenui on Xmas day, about 1/2 hour north of New Plymouth for a beach barbie with friends, heaps of cold ones and my wife will drive home, as she does not drink. How good is that?
Best Xmases ever were at sea, some with Donaldson, some with Bank Line, all weathers,all sorts of places and seas, but the same camaraderie and good food tempered with the fact that you may have a watch to stand, unless in Port, then who cared?
Slainte.(Pint) (Applause)

Johnnietwocoats
24th December 2009, 01:42
Depends what you mean by new. [=P]
Built 1971.
That would be September '74 to January '75 and November '75 to February '76.
First one was Lisnave drydock to Rastan, to Genoa, to Sitra and off via Bahrein.
Second was Point a Pierre (31 days at anchor) to Rastan, to Point a Pierre and home.
Both with Robbie Armstrong.

Cheers
Kris

I joined the Texaco Norway in September 1971 as Second Mate....

Robbie Armstrong was the Master. I think he was ex Regent Tankers....

Unfortunately I only did the one way trip to Ras Tanura from Rotterdam as I got Appendicitis and signed off in the Gulf. Went home, had them out in London and joined the Texaco Frankfurt in Milford Haven on Christmas Eve 1971.

British Crew Ship I recall....

Small world.

Take care.

TC

PS...Any photos would be appreciated....

Alan Rawlinson
24th December 2009, 09:40
I recall a Xmas at sea on the Maplebank when we were en route to OZ from Ocean Island with phosphate rock. The Liverpool stewards blew up condoms and hung them round the saloon in a festive spirit. At least, I think that's what it was!

Have had some grim ones.

In BR ferries, the Master called us up to his cabin, and solemnly told us because it was Christmas day, we were entitled to a bottle of beer each, which was duly drunk in a very sober atmosphere.

K urgess
24th December 2009, 12:38
There are a few pictures in my gallery, TC.
Just do a search on Texaco Norway. Unfortunately I was having camera trouble so there are not many.
The first trip was total madness. Ran out of food and steam (slow paddling), Cat/Off arrested and confined to his cabin, lover's quarrels with knives among the crew, etc.
Second was better, less breakdowns. [=P]
It was worse than my trip with Hungry Hogarth's.
The two attached pics are from the Texaco News of the time.
All the Best
Kris

Johnnietwocoats
24th December 2009, 15:28
There are a few pictures in my gallery, TC.
Just do a search on Texaco Norway. Unfortunately I was having camera trouble so there are not many.
The first trip was total madness. Ran out of food and steam (slow paddling), Cat/Off arrested and confined to his cabin, lover's quarrels with knives among the crew, etc.
Second was better, less breakdowns. [=P]
It was worse than my trip with Hungry Hogarth's.
The two attached pics are from the Texaco News of the time.
All the Best
Kris

Thanks Kris. I did look up your photos. I have a few photos of the "Norway"
I must look up my records for the voyage I was on. Robbie as I remember was an OK Master.
I enjoyed my time with Caltex/Texaco.
It seems a shame that such a great large ship had so many problems in later years.
I was pretty much on her maiden woyage, or second trip and she seemed to be a fine vessel. I wasn't too impressed with the crew....
I think Fred Adams from Belfast joined her as Mate when I signed off in Ras at Tanura....
Merry Christmas
TC

China hand
24th December 2009, 19:16
All the best for next year, people: We are the only true fellowship anywhere.
Been to sea? One of the tribe.
Happy whatever.

jimthehat
24th December 2009, 20:17
I recall a Xmas at sea on the Maplebank when we were en route to OZ from Ocean Island with phosphate rock. The Liverpool stewards blew up condoms and hung them round the saloon in a festive spirit. At least, I think that's what it was!

Have had some grim ones.

In BR ferries, the Master called us up to his cabin, and solemnly told us because it was Christmas day, we were entitled to a bottle of beer each, which was duly drunk in a very sober atmosphere.

Hi all,
first xmas away from home was on the maplebank,can never remember whether it was bunbury or geraldton?(1952)It was a complete culture shock,blazing sun and big steaks,every other xmas up to 66 was spent somewhere on a bank boat,great times ,always remembered.

jim

jimthehat
24th December 2009, 20:49
Hi all,
first xmas away from home was on the maplebank,can never remember whether it was bunbury or geraldton?(1952)It was a complete culture shock,blazing sun and big steaks,every other xmas up to 66 was spent somewhere on a bank boat,great times ,always remembered.

jim

here the pride and joy of maplebank xmas 52

ernhelenbarrett
25th December 2009, 07:52
Merry Christmas and all the best to All for 2010, think the lousiest Christmas I spent was on the B.I. "Dara" up the Gulf in 1955, stinking hot, no airconditioning,the usual B.I. dinner of hot chicken etc ., wearing no.10's with the sweat pouring down your back and knowing i had to relieve the Chief R/O for his dinner, with only a d.c noisy fan to cool! you off in the Radio Room. To make matters worse we spent Hogmanay in Bombay which was a dry port!! I think I am still registered as an alcoholic in the Prince of Wales Club in VWB so I could get my 4 bottles of beer per month. The B.I. Club in Bombay was dry but Calcutta was ok as it was only dry on a Thursday there!!
Ah Memories of the good old days.
Ern Barrett