Humboldt = 1968 - 1984

kev
11th October 2005, 22:25
LPG tanker - Humboldt

tanker
12th October 2005, 10:30
She is a French built 1968,she had two similars :PASCAL and LAVOISIER.
Gp

kev
12th October 2005, 18:41
Hi

Any pictures of the similars?

Kev

non descript
21st November 2005, 10:41
Probably the best ship I ever sailed on. "God made pressure ships because atmospheric ships are for people who don't have any imagination" - she was great fun and I spent 12 month and more doing Riga to Le Havre through the Kiel Canal.

lagerstedt
25th November 2005, 09:43
I have attached a photo and a GA plan of the ship. Not sure if it is the same Humboldt. When you see it I am sure you will recognise the ship. Originally built for Ocean Gas Transport, a combine Houlder Bros & Co Ltd and the French Gazocean Group subsidary. She was originally intended for a Chilean owner. See notes below photo for more info.

Regards

Blair Lagerstedt
NZ

non descript
25th November 2005, 22:41
Blair, thank you and yes, that is indeed the beautiful ship; a ship of dreams and one of the best and safest ships - ice strengthened and as versatile as the come. What other lady could do 110 transits of the Keil Canal without hitting very much at all.

chadders
15th March 2006, 09:46
Blair, thank you and yes, that is indeed the beautiful ship; a ship of dreams and one of the best and safest ships - ice strengthened and as versatile as the come. What other lady could do 110 transits of the Keil Canal without hitting very much at all.

All we need now is a photograph of the "James Cook", a similar but smaller LPG tanker, but also under Gaz Ocean control, sailing out of Westernport to Papeete, Suva, Port Vila, Noumea and Nukualofa (the best is last).

What do you mean 110 transits of the Keil Canal without hitting very much at all. She regularly hit the dock gates!! In fact we often had to prove we could go astern before we were allowed near the locks. She was still a great ship.

DerekC
26th March 2006, 22:43
Hi Chadders,

I too have enjoyed attacking the Kiel lock gates, running a book on each transit on whether the engines would go astern on demand. As it turned out I was on the focsle for one strike and the bridge for another. I think the focsle was most interesting! She was a great little ship and I was sorry to leave her.

regards

DerekC

non descript
27th March 2006, 21:11
Chadders - Derek,

Well at least lock-gates are relatively harmless (*)) , I was thinking mainly of passing ships or the odd Friesian Cow when I made the original comment, but I agree with you, she was a spirited lady, but one of the very best.

Regards
Tonga

DerekC
28th March 2006, 20:22
Tonga,

Good bit about the trip through Kiel was using the, then, new 5p coins to make phone calls home. Luckily they matched the size and weight of a DMark!

Regards
DerekC

non descript
28th March 2006, 20:53
Derek,

Well remembered, I’d rather forgotten that part of the fun. I guess everyone has a cell-phone now and would not understand the passion and interest that dry land held for us in those times.

Regards
Tonga

DerekC
29th March 2006, 12:27
Tonga and all 'Humboldt'ers,

I was just reading an old navigating notebook that I dug out of a long-forgotten box in my attic... it describes my first spell as 3rd Mate taking Humboldt into the Riga bay...

" Following inked on course lines, due to to repetitive runs, only thing I can get on radar, is Ovisi Lt. Vis crap. Nothing visual, Capt Whistler tells me that he once went a bit wide on the turn at Buoy A and proved that the Russian charts were wrong."

All very reassuring to a first trip 3rd mate...anyone else with good stories about Riga?

regards
DerekC

briggo
16th May 2006, 20:30
Hi Guys,

That Riga trip was a killer for deck cadets.

I remember doing 6 on 6 off in the pump room. It was freezing, we would wear about 20 layers of clothing and have to lie on top of the compressors to try to keep warm!

Regards,
Ricky.

NINJA
16th May 2006, 21:29

All we need now is a photograph of the "James Cook", a similar but smaller LPG tanker, but also under Gaz Ocean control, sailing out of Westernport to Papeete, Suva, Port Vila, Noumea and Nukualofa (the best is last).

Mention of Westernport reminds me of a trip on the Cavendish, we were in Japan and the "old man" got orders to proceed to Westernport in Australia which he believed meant proceed to a Western Port and await orders, as luck would have it a cadet had been to Westernport Melbourne and put the record straight. Frankston at night proved another Aussie port we could not get a drink after ten-o-clock at night. Then it was a long haul over to B.A. and the more hospitable haunts of Dock Sud.

non descript
18th May 2006, 22:55
Hi Guys,

That Riga trip was a killer for deck cadets.

I remember doing 6 on 6 off in the pump room. It was freezing, we would wear about 20 layers of clothing and have to lie on top of the compressors to try to keep warm!

Regards,
Ricky.

If my memory serves me well, the compressors made a most almighty noise when the metal safety discs collapsed if/when liquid got into the cylinder; rebuilding the cylinder head and replacing the damaged piston was fun.

I also have happy memories of the female shore based pump-room staff in Riga keeping some of us warm when we went ashore to check the figures. :)

Kind regards
Tonga

saltyswamp
30th August 2007, 23:13
Hi Did my first trip as Jnr Eng on a gas boat on the humbolt wondered what the hell it was. kipped in the hospitial, so every body used to congregate there as was isolated from rest of ship, at least had my own shower.
stuart

Blackbob
1st September 2007, 21:04
Dear Tonga
With regard to the "Humbold" I was shunted on to it because I was two months short of ticket time for my C-Engs cert and as far as I'm concerned it is a perfect example of mans inhumanity to man, but saying that I sailed with a few very good men on it.and life was always busy!!!
regards Blackbob

marinero
3rd September 2007, 21:38
Dear Tonga
With regard to the "Humbold" I was shunted on to it because I was two months short of ticket time for my C-Engs cert and as far as I'm concerned it is a perfect example of mans inhumanity to man, but saying that I sailed with a few very good men on it.and life was always busy!!!
regards Blackbob

Hi Bob.
That was another ship I stayed a couple of years on and enjoyed it, but maybe I just liked being at sea. As you say some good hard working guys on there, they could party as well.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

non descript
4th September 2007, 02:30
Without a doubt Humboldt was one of the happiest ships I was on; yes, she was hard work and through the English Channel every 5 days was different to the lazy days of the River Plate run, but also very good fun and educational.

ChrisCampbell
23rd December 2007, 14:49
Humboldt / Bold 1 / Eurogaz Two / Yucatan

Built In 1968 At La Ciotat, For Gazocean ( Who Intended That She Be Operated By Their Chilean Subsidiary Interocean Gas S.a ) She Was Completed In The End For Ocean Gas Transport Ltd And Managed By Houlder Brothers. She Was Then Chartered Back To Gazocean. She Was Sold In1984 To A Panamanian Company And Re-named 'bold 1' , She Was Actually Managed By Silver Line Of London. In 1988 She Was Sold To A Company Based In Monte Carlo And Re-named 'eurogaz Two', She Then Changed Hands Again To A Panamanian Company, In This Case Lizamar S.a. In 1989 She Was Re-named 'yucatan' For A Greek Company And Finally In 1993 She Was Sent To The Alang ( India ) Breakers Yard And Scrapped.

Joined the Humbolt 23.04.76 Paided off 24.07.76 Rejoined 5.12.80 Paided off 6.02.81 I think this last trip was at the time of the Seaman's strike we were stuck in Le Havre with no crew and Chiefy Stew was doing all the cooking and we were doing the cleaning as well as making our own beds - Its a hard life 'nudge nudge'

saltyswamp
5th January 2008, 20:58
Without a doubt Humboldt was one of the happiest ships I was on; yes, she was hard work and through the English Channel every 5 days was different to the lazy days of the River Plate run, but also very good fun and educational.

Did a one trip wonder in 75 then a full trip in 80
stuart

MARINEJOCKY
14th January 2008, 01:03
joined the Humbolt in December 1978 as a first trip 2nd engineer and left in Porsgrunn in March 1979. Learnt alot about ice and working 18 on and 6 off thanks to the chief.

The five pence peice was indeed the same size as the D Mark but heavier so in the handing over the second passed the magical drill (s) that were used to drill out the center. I think it was either a 4.5mm or 5.5mm drill. This matched the 5p exactly.

I was onboard when we went into Koge in Denmark and hit the dock and also when we went ashore after blacking out going up to Rafness / Porsgrunn in Norway.

Got arrested in Riga for trying to take Roubles out of Russia and I remember the girls at the mission. I also remember drinking Vodka in the loading masters office when I should have been helping the engineers onboard.

Got the fright of my life one night when bottles of soda stored on the deck in my cabin started to explode with the cold as the chief would turn the heat on and of to suit him and his wife, little guy whose name escapes me.

Minus 42 in Riga one time and remember being stuck in the ice in the Baltic until the nuclear ice breaker came to get us out.

marinero
14th January 2008, 16:42
joined the Humbolt in December 1978 as a first trip 2nd engineer and left in Porsgrunn in March 1979. Learnt alot about ice and working 18 on and 6 off thanks to the chief.

The five pence peice was indeed the same size as the D Mark but heavier so in the handing over the second passed the magical drill (s) that were used to drill out the center. I think it was either a 4.5mm or 5.5mm drill. This matched the 5p exactly.

I was onboard when we went into Koge in Denmark and hit the dock and also when we went ashore after blacking out going up to Rafness / Porsgrunn in Norway.

Got arrested in Riga for trying to take Roubles out of Russia and I remember the girls at the mission. I also remember drinking Vodka in the loading masters office when I should have been helping the engineers onboard.

Got the fright of my life one night when bottles of soda stored on the deck in my cabin started to explode with the cold as the chief would turn the heat on and of to suit him and his wife, little guy whose name escapes me.

Minus 42 in Riga one time and remember being stuck in the ice in the Baltic until the nuclear ice breaker came to get us out.

Could the Chief have been BoBo Brinkley by any chance. I think there is a photo in exsitence with the "Humboldt" aground up the fiord with the story that it was in someones garden.
Regards(Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
15th January 2008, 01:17
I would love to see that photo. I think the chief was Brinkley, a littel guy with a beard if I remember

marinero
15th January 2008, 15:04
I would love to see that photo. I think the chief was Brinkley, a littel guy with a beard if I remember

Hi Marinejockey.
Yes Brinkley did have a beard, last heard running a florists shop in Ipswich or Felixstowe. No idea where to get the photo perhaps if we try googling for it. If I find it I will post it.
Regards(Thumb)

saltyswamp
16th January 2008, 22:01

Didn't we just love him my hand remembers him well(see previous posting)

stuart

digger58
24th August 2008, 16:56
Hi Marinejockey,
i was onborad the Humbolt when she went aground in norway,sailing as ass steward,remember it well,about 5.30-6.00 am,just got up and and then the lights went out ,followed by a loud bump!
Regards
digger58

clonguish
24th January 2009, 22:48
remember serving a few months on the Humbolt 76 or 77, Ruen or Le harve via the Keil to riga, Cold NH3 alarms ( good for clearing stuffy noses ) MAN Engines remember once in the control room all alone going thru the Canal telling the pilot we had one more start left in the air and he used it up, Comps balsting trying to get up to pressure and him screaming on intercom at me and me asking him what the **** do u want me to do blow myself, didnt go well on the Bridge, But hey he was German! A good ship small good crew had fun.

non descript
24th January 2009, 22:57
Ah... Rouen ( or to be wholly accurate Petit-Couronne (http://www.maplandia.com/france/haute-normandie/seine-maritime/rouen/le-petit-couronne/) ) to Riga … a wonderful education and with the possible exception of the “James Cook”, for obvious reasons, the “Humboldt” was maybe the best ship I ever sailed on, and that is saying something, as Houlders had a few great ships. (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
25th January 2009, 02:32
Tonga, you opened the bottle a bit early tonight,

qoute "the “Humboldt” was maybe the best ship I ever sailed on",

I thought the Cumbria was.

Who knows the true story behind the major main engine failure. The story I heard was the ship left the dock in Le Havre and went into the locks. The fog was bad so they decided to wait it out & shut some systems down, the alarms started to ring and the magic switch was used to mute everything. this was obviously an add on and by-pased everything. Three or four hours later the pilot & old man decided to leave, starting & running the main engine with no lube oil, no alarms and no shut downs for 20 minutes.

That was the story I heard, the repairs included all new machined in place bearings and I mean all and alot of spare bearing shells. These shells had extra white metal so they would fit the various sized bearings as you has some mains machined 10 thou, some 20 some 30 or more. I only know from experience that we had to check the bearings at every port and I certainly learnt that trip how to lap in bearings.

That wheel starting was something else as well.

Yes, we went aground about 5.45am going up to Porsgrunn as BoBo Brinkley made me do 18 on and him the 6 off as he had his wife onboard. I had to start at 0600 so was just getting out of bed when we blacked out, just made it under the bridge and then swung to starboard with the tug on our port side following us around.

Interesting experience for a 1st trip second engineer

marinero
25th January 2009, 18:04
Didn't we just love him my hand remembers him well(see previous posting)

stuart

Hi Stuart/Marinejockey
I have found and uploaded a picture to the Gallery(Life On-board Section), under Humboldt
I thought it might bring back memories to you both. I cannot for the life of me remember Sam's surname, anyone help.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

MARINEJOCKY
25th January 2009, 20:07
Hi Leo, Now I certainly remember BoBo. I do not remember the others in the photo though. Captain Jaques along with Phil from Cambridgeshire as c/o were the ones I remember from the deck. I just searched around for a photo of 3 engineers sitting in my cabin looking rather tied & extremely dirty but could not find it. I will post it as soon as I get it.

merrymagpie
26th January 2009, 18:38
Sam is Steve Shaw. Always known as 'Sam' from schooldays in Hull. Last heard he was in Ecquador having married a local when on the Cavendish (?) out there.
Brother Dave Shaw also sailed in Houlders.

Mike Bartle

non descript
26th January 2009, 20:42
Sam is Steve Shaw. Always known as 'Sam' from schooldays in Hull. Last heard he was in Ecquador having married a local when on the Cavendish (?) out there.
Brother Dave Shaw also sailed in Houlders.

Mike Bartle

It seemed to be quite a common 'occupational hazard' for the Gas Boat Folk and a few Fiery Kipper people married local girls in Ecuador. (EEK)

chadders
26th January 2009, 22:45
Hi Leo, Now I certainly remember BoBo. I do not remember the others in the photo though. Captain Jaques along with Phil from Cambridgeshire as c/o were the ones I remember from the deck. I just searched around for a photo of 3 engineers sitting in my cabin looking rather tied & extremely dirty but could not find it. I will post it as soon as I get it.

Hi Marine Jockey, The Phil from Cambridge was Phil Vass, he eventually ended up offshore in the early 80's. I was 2nd Mate with him and Jacques and then was C/O. She was certainly a great ship.

MARINEJOCKY
26th January 2009, 22:57
Hi Marine Jockey, The Phil from Cambridge was Phil Vass, he eventually ended up offshore in the early 80's. I was 2nd Mate with him and Jacques and then was C/O. She was certainly a great ship.

Did we sail together on the Humbolt. I was there when we went aground going up to Porsgrumm. I joined in December 1978 as a 2/E and left March 1979.

I went and stayed with Phil at his home in March, Cambridgeshire in the summer of 1979 after my buddy and I had spent 6 weeks driving around Europe on vocation. Give Phil the fright of his life when I drove on the "wrong" side of the road by mistake. Him & his wife made me very welcome.

Captain Jaques was a character,remember I was a 2/E so other than givig him plenty of starts on the main engine I did not have much to do with him. I do remember how he thought he knew so much more about wines than anybody else so I stunned him after going ashore in Le Havre and through the shore based repair guy got to choose numerous bottles from the laid up "FRANCE".

saltyswamp
7th February 2009, 22:43
Hi Stuart/Marinejockey
I have found and uploaded a picture to the Gallery(Life On-board Section), under Humboldt
I thought it might bring back memories to you both. I cannot for the life of me remember Sam's surname, anyone help.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

Thanks leo
Stuart

Guy41
25th May 2009, 18:51
Hi all,

I was 3rd mate aboard the Humboldt in late 1980, erly '81. Jaques was the old man and I vaguely remember a sparky who fell out big time with him and later on sent some damning message to Houlders office from another ship pretending to be Capt Jaques. Unfortunately the master on the Humboldt then was Dick Whistler (I believe) and it was he who had to try to explain the "strange" telegram.

I was there for the Seamens strike in Le Havre and had the dubious pleasure of detaining John Prescott at the top of the gangway until given the OK from the old man. He was part of the NUS ship vist delegation. The language used at the time was definately not becoming of a deputy prime minister (on second thoughts maybe it was...)

We hit the breakwater in Riga one night after a black out and I then dropped the port anchor on it for good measure.

I also remember the german rocket attacks (Fireworks) when transiting the Kiel canal on New Years eve.

It was the only gas ship I sailed on without a bar (cabin drinking with watch keepers usually) but I agree a great atmosphere (sorry.. semi pressure)

I remember when paying off, being told by some of the regulars.." If anybody asks you about the Humboldt , tell them its a load of rubbish (or words to that effect.), we like it here and dont want to be replaced.."

Sound advice

A great little ship

Cheers

Guy

non descript
25th May 2009, 22:26
Guy,
The Humboldt was a great ship, one of the very best, as was (is) Dick Whistler – a perfect gentleman and a good Master as well. The Riga/Rouen run was a bit of fun too.
(Thumb)
Mark

John Jenkins
21st June 2009, 09:47
Hi,

Interesting to read all the memories of the Fjord strike. One of the papers said it was close to a school and if I remember right the local authorities took a keen interest in us when we finally got moored. Gentleman John took over from Bo Bo?

JJ

Tonga, you opened the bottle a bit early tonight,

qoute "the “Humboldt” was maybe the best ship I ever sailed on",

I thought the Cumbria was.

Who knows the true story behind the major main engine failure. The story I heard was the ship left the dock in Le Havre and went into the locks. The fog was bad so they decided to wait it out & shut some systems down, the alarms started to ring and the magic switch was used to mute everything. this was obviously an add on and by-pased everything. Three or four hours later the pilot & old man decided to leave, starting & running the main engine with no lube oil, no alarms and no shut downs for 20 minutes.

That was the story I heard, the repairs included all new machined in place bearings and I mean all and alot of spare bearing shells. These shells had extra white metal so they would fit the various sized bearings as you has some mains machined 10 thou, some 20 some 30 or more. I only know from experience that we had to check the bearings at every port and I certainly learnt that trip how to lap in bearings.

That wheel starting was something else as well.

Yes, we went aground about 5.45am going up to Porsgrunn as BoBo Brinkley made me do 18 on and him the 6 off as he had his wife onboard. I had to start at 0600 so was just getting out of bed when we blacked out, just made it under the bridge and then swung to starboard with the tug on our port side following us around.

Interesting experience for a 1st trip second engineer

boycook
2nd July 2009, 12:27
hi everyone yes i to was on this happy ship i joined in brunsbottle sorry bad spelling and stayed on until i went to get my cooks ticket in liverpool not shure but i think we were held up once in the canel locks because germany & holland where playing in the world cup final 1974 Terry Rand gally boy