U.S.S.Co Ships built by Henry Robb, Leith

The Loftsman
2nd January 2010, 14:00
Hello All,
I am working on a history of this fine Shipyard where i served my time man and boy as a Loftsman, and i am looking for any stories or photo's of the following Ships built in the Leith Yard of Henry Robb for the Union Steamship Co of New Zealand, have a blog going just now as a collector for the info, so any help much appreciatted you will find the blog at http://leithbuiltships.blogspot.com
The Steamships, Kahika, Karitane, Kaimanawa, Kanna, Katui, Kaitangata,
Konui, Kaitawa, Kaiapoi, Kamona, Waimate, Kawatiri, Kokiri, Karamu, Navua, Kaitoa, Kaimai, Kumalla, Konini, Koonya, Pateena, Poolta,
As you will see there were a few fine ships built by Robb's They also built a lot for Anchor Line but i shall put that in another post.
Best regards to all who sailed on one of those Robb's built Ships.

The Loftsman
"Fairline" A line that is pleasing to the eye.

Jim sargent
3rd January 2010, 02:51
Hi Loftsman,
I remember the Robb built ships well and sailed in Kaitangata, Karamu, Navua and Konui at various times between 1955 to 1958.
Some of the vessels you listed were based in Australia rather than N.Z.
I would recommend you to have a look at the Oceania Shipping Forum site which is heavily populated with ex-USSCo men from both countries.
All the best,
Jim Sargent

Neil McInnes
3rd January 2010, 03:10
Hello there
I remember Poolta And Pateena these were operated by USSco Australia. Pateena was used to transport Paper Pulp pellets for Tasmania to Sydney Poolta if I remember correctly was stripped of here gear a they put cranes on her. That was 40 years ago. I dont know what became of them.

John Crossland
3rd January 2010, 04:45
Hi Lofty,

Try http://oceaniashippingforum.com/index.php

You will have to register first.

The Loftsman
3rd January 2010, 15:47
Hi Guy's,
Thanks for the help, will get over to the ocianashippingforum, when i can, i have found a bit more info and pics at www.nzshipmarine.com pretty interesting site.

Cheers

Bob Murdoch
3rd January 2010, 19:50
Hi,
I sailed on the Kaitawa, Kaitoa and Konini as Sparks during 1960 - 1962. I trained at the Watt Memorial in Greenock.
The Kaitoa and Konini were lovely ships and I would say my time on the Kaitoa was the best ever for me. Fortunately I did not spend much time on the Kaitawa, she went down with allhands in 1965 (or was it 66).
Cheers Bob

The Loftsman
10th January 2010, 15:01
Thanks Bob,
Glad you were not on the unfortunate Kaitawa.

spongebob
12th January 2010, 02:50
Loftsman, a great list of little ships, Collier Kaitangata, Banana boat Navua and general cargo ship Kaitoa were all ships that I sailed on

Bob

dmrowden
29th January 2010, 04:48
Hello there
I remember Poolta And Pateena these were operated by USSco Australia. Pateena was used to transport Paper Pulp pellets for Tasmania to Sydney Poolta if I remember correctly was stripped of here gear a they put cranes on her. That was 40 years ago. I dont know what became of them.

Hello,

I sailed on the Poolta in 1965 as 3rd Mate, at which time she was engaged on a general cargo service Newcastle-Port Kembla-Hobart. In 1968 she was lengthened by about 18 metres and had derricks replaced by cranes at Taikoo DY in HK. Sold to Bulkships 76-81, then to Hetherington Kinsbury 81-84. Sold overseas in 1984 to a variety of owners in a variety of locations under a variety of names ;
1984 - Tonga - named Kali
1988 - Sharjah - named Ali
1989 - Dubai - named Mahan
1990 - Dubai - named Sublime
1992 - Dubai - named Blue Pearl
1993-1994 - under arrest in Bombay
1995 - renamed by same owners Ocean Success
1999 - sold for breaking up at Alang, arriving 2/6/1999

So this great little ship which was a pleasure to sail on, lived up to her final name, and lasted 40 years.

Regards
Dave Rowden

The Loftsman
6th March 2010, 22:44
Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies and when i get around to it i will set up a page on the blog for the men who sailed on the ships built in Leith, where i would hope to include some of your stories and times on the Ships of the U.S.S.Co

The Loftsman
14th December 2010, 21:29
Hello,

I sailed on the Poolta in 1965 as 3rd Mate, at which time she was engaged on a general cargo service Newcastle-Port Kembla-Hobart. In 1968 she was lengthened by about 18 metres and had derricks replaced by cranes at Taikoo DY in HK. Sold to Bulkships 76-81, then to Hetherington Kinsbury 81-84. Sold overseas in 1984 to a variety of owners in a variety of locations under a variety of names ;
1984 - Tonga - named Kali
1988 - Sharjah - named Ali
1989 - Dubai - named Mahan
1990 - Dubai - named Sublime
1992 - Dubai - named Blue Pearl
1993-1994 - under arrest in Bombay
1995 - renamed by same owners Ocean Success
1999 - sold for breaking up at Alang, arriving 2/6/1999

So this great little ship which was a pleasure to sail on, lived up to her final name, and lasted 40 years.

Regards
Dave Rowden

Hi Dave,
Thanks for this, it has been a while since i have been on the forum as we have been busy building a decent website to do justice to all the fine ships built in the Yard at Leith.
The website is at www.leithshipyards.com