Cliff Quay

Stephen Swinhoe
13th October 2005, 20:47
In South Dock Sunderland

Bunkerbarge
21st October 2005, 16:19
I know my father was on this ship and jumped into I think Hull dock to pull out and rescue a guy who had fallen in sometime in about the 50's. It made the papers and he was given an engraved silver cigarette box by the Harbour Master.

If you want more details I will have to ask my Mother!!

Bunkerbarge
21st October 2005, 19:32
I've since checked with mother and the port in question was Blythe.

The date was 10th April 1957, my Dad jumped into the dock to rescue another crewmember who had fallen in and my Dad was probably a third officer in those days.

The award was made by the Cliff Quay owners at the time which was the Electricity Board.

ruud
27th August 2006, 07:32
I know my father was on this ship and jumped into I think Hull dock to pull out and rescue a guy who had fallen in sometime in about the 50's. It made the papers and he was given an engraved silver cigarette box by the Harbour Master.

If you want more details I will have to ask my Mother!!Ahoy Bunkerbarge,

Found this one,maybe your mother[other relatives] will like her and will it bring back some good memories.
the CLIFF QUAY 1950
By courtesy/ A.Duncan.

Bunkerbarge
27th August 2006, 17:53
Lovely shot Ruud. Very many thanks for that, much appreciated.

non descript
27th August 2006, 18:51
Thank for that one Ruud – having spent many hours (over several years) watching Cliff Quay at Cliff Quay, swinging off the berth with the help of only the tide, it is nice to have a quality photograph to remind me of this excellent piece of seamanship. (Applause)

Jeffers
28th August 2006, 10:14
Those pictures bring back some memories. I remember seeing the Cliff Quay, and many other colliers, at the staithes in South Shields by the Mill Dam back in the '60's. My younger brother and I used to spend a great deal of our spare time down there and we got to be friends with a guy called George Keedy (sp?), who used to ferry the seaman to and from the ships when they were out on the buoys off the Mill Dam. He also used to take stores out to ships from Petersons ships chandlers who had a place near by. We eventually were entrusted with running Georges boat ourselves while he had a break, that was quite a thrill for a pair of teenage lads!

backsplice
28th August 2006, 10:15
I can remember all these types of colliers ...i thing it was CEGB who owned them I was on the LOCHEE in 58/59 and loaded at CLIFF QUAY many atime and remember it was a hellava walk up to the pub but that did,nt phase us ...them were the days ....backsplice (Thumb)

david smith
28th August 2006, 10:25
One of the CEGB ships swinging off the berth at Cliff Quay, Ipswich sometime very early 70's.

ruud
28th August 2006, 10:33
Ahoy,

Glad you like them oldies,and bringing back the "good old days" memories and will scan some more of these oldies and post them here in the "Colliers" thread, if there are any requests, just give a sign, and I will have a look if I can help.There must be a +/- 100 piccies.

non descript
12th October 2006, 11:04
One of the CEGB ships swinging off the berth at Cliff Quay, Ipswich sometime very early 70's.

Thanks David, - I cannot quite work out what and where ,as the power station seems to be missing. It is taken from the Wherstead Road/West Dock side I guess, but it does not fit in with that I remember. I must be getting old.
Kind regards
Mark

Peter4447
13th October 2006, 11:48

Hi David

Tried to enlarge the picture but without a great deal of success but looking at the amount of letters on the bow, I would hazard a guess this is the Cliff Quay herself. Her running mate was the Barford and these were the two regulars for the Ipswich Power Station. If memory serves me right the others of the class, who very rarely ever put in an Orwell appearance all had much longer names apart from the Lord Citrine.

Peter4447(Thumb)

awateah2
13th October 2006, 12:26
'Captain J.M. Donaldson' was one and the other I think was 'W.J.H. Wood'.

stephano
21st October 2006, 13:40
can anyone remember the SAMBA SIX. as they where known, all CEGB ships

alan

duquesa
21st October 2006, 13:45
It's the angle Tonga. The power station is off picture to the left.

non descript
21st October 2006, 19:02
Thanks Duquesa; and it was a touch confusing as the collier is actually swinging more up river than normal and is right at very end of the western end of the berth, so it does appear distorted. As you correctly say, the power station is where the power lines end up (or rather start) off to the left

ruud
18th December 2006, 20:58
Ahoy,
Here 2 other shots of the CLIFF QUAY & W.J.H.WOOD
Courtesy/credits by Iain Lovie.

Bunkerbarge
19th December 2006, 13:17
Ruud that is another lovely shot of the Cliff Quay. She was quite a 'handsome' vessel in her day.

Many thanks for posting the picture, very much appreciated.

ruud
19th December 2006, 16:27
Ahoy,
Yep indeed another lovely shot,just when I scanned her I was thinking of your request a while ago[more then 1 year ago], so I've posted her here, with the W J H WOOD, which I didn't knew.Will try to post some more colliers & flatirons, but have to search in what thread to post, some have never been requested.

ruud
24th December 2006, 13:13
Ahoy,
Here a shot of the POMPEY POWER 1949 taken in Newcastle 1958

Bunkerbarge
24th December 2006, 14:11
It's when you see shots like that you put things into perspective.

Look how much that ships design has changed over the years into todays modern container ships and cruise liners. Yet that picture was taken only a year after I was born and I don't feel that old!!! Well most of the time!

When I first went to sea in '77 I was sailing around in container ships that carried 570 TEU's. Our "big" ships carried 800 and we had a crew of about 35.

Now you are looking at 13,000 TEU's and a crew of 25. The world is changing very rapidly nowadays, sometimes for the better but not always.

These pictures of the Electricity Board colliers evoke so much emotion of a time when life at sea was a completely different world to the one now and the British Merchant Navy was the world leader.

Now I work for an American company on a ship built in Italy and registered in the Bahama's. If you ask anyone here whether they have read this months Telegragh they look around for the big brass thingy with handles that they heard about at college.

barnsey
29th May 2007, 03:43
Yes please if you have any of Hudson River .... that would be great ...

Barnsey

ruud
29th May 2007, 07:31
Yes please if you have any of Hudson River .... that would be great ...

Barnsey

Ahoy Barnsey,
Is this the one you're looking for HUDSON RIVER 1949? as there was another HUDSON RIVER 1967,but that's a big tanker!
If so, this is a scan from the book "Black Diamond Fleets"

David Byrne
31st May 2007, 07:13
Ruud,

Lovely shots you have posted recently of colliers. Would you have a picture of the COWDRAY at all - I sailed on her a few times in the early 70s and have had difficulty finding a decent shot of her.

Incidentally, Stephenson Clarkes is still going here in Newcastle - the oldest shipping company still trading in the world! Started in 1737 I believe.

David Byrne

ruud
31st May 2007, 08:14
Ahoy David,
Yep of course mate, it's my pleasure to share these shots.
Completed at Grangemouth Dockyard Co.Ltd. at 06-1959,she served in Stevie's from 1959-1976,then sold to John Kelly Ltd. and renamed BALLYCASTLE.
GT:1748
NT:809
DWT:2130
LOA:245'3" x 39'10" x 15'11¼"

Note:Recently we met some gents from the Co.[board members]whilst being invited for the ARUNDEL[model] launching,overhere in Holland,very nice people,and spend some very fine moments.Will post the piccies,when admittance/permission is been given by them,but for the moment waiting for an answer,so please be patience.

Razor
9th June 2007, 13:43
Ruud. Thanks for posting all of the photos, spent 4 years on the 'Silverbanders' 75-79, mainly on the Portslade and Steyning. Happy Days!

marinabrian
1st October 2008, 20:27
Here's a one of me in the engine room of the Cliff Quay, before I grew into my CEGB boiler suit !:sweat:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg279/marinabrian/CliffQuay.jpg
Brian(==D)