Headline Shipping Co of Belfast

norseviking
13th October 2005, 22:42
any info on any Headline Shipping Co., of Belfast especially Orlock Head

Dave Edge
14th October 2005, 06:50
This company was also known as the Ulster Steamship Company and G. Heyn & Sons. It was first registered in 1877 and sold its last ship in 1979 although the Heyn Group may still exist.
The second "Orlock Head" was built by Dublin Dockyard in 1921, 1563 gross tons, dimensions 240.0 x 36.3 x 19.3 feet, powered by a triple expansion steam engine. March 1940 collided with and sank the "Clan Stuart" off Start Point.21 July 1940 sailed London for Liverpool in convoy OA190 and became a straggler. 28 July attacked by German aircraft and abandoned on fire in 58.44N 04.21W. Four crew died, three seriously injured, all were landed at Scrabster by the rescue vessel "Star of Liberty". The first "Orlock Head" was sunk by U34 in 1916. (Source, 'Head Line' by W. J. Harvey).

mcgurggle
29th October 2005, 11:38
Have a wee look here
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/ulster.html
(Thumb)
Regards
McG

ruud
29th October 2005, 12:02
Ahoy,

You mean this one?

Orlock HeadC5156324036.3B1912.20Coaster. Ulster SS Co, Belfast (G. Heyn);
28.7.40 set on fire by enemy aircraft, later sank 58.44N 04.21W
http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/2041/orlockhead2no.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

boboman
22nd February 2006, 00:01
Hi there,
Was looking for some family history and "stumbled" here.
My grandpa was Capt.for G.Heyn & Sons "Ulster Steamship Co.".Capt.A.Quail.
For me,as I was told, it has always been the "Head Company".
Unfortunately he died when I was a small child so history was lost.
Just a bunch of photos and some pieces of a very vast puzzle...a life at sea,from childhood to his mid fifties.Trough a war fought from the start to the end.
Does anibody know were I can find other pieces of this puzzle?
Or knows somebody that shares some of the same pieces?
Has anybody of the company emploiees ever thought of opening a company web page with the history of it?
Thanking you in advance my best regards
boboman.

peter lewis
22nd February 2006, 02:12
welcome boboman i cant help you but im sure you will find that plenty of others on thisite can and will help if they can good luck in your search (Hippy)

pierhead jumper
22nd February 2006, 20:35
Oh,yes,I recall the Headline well.I signed on the Fanad Head In Cartaret N.J.in1944 I think.Loaded with munitions and other artefacts of destruction she discharged in several Italian ports then proceeded to Casablanca to load for Philadelphia.I paid off in Casablanca and went seeking Humphrey and Co.The sailors were mostly from the North and Ilse Magee whilst the firemen came from the South.Not the best situation for a peaceful trip regardless of other considerations.like U-boats and such.Irecall one occasion when,after a night ashore the jolly firemen rolled a bale of kerosene soaked waste,on fire of course,down the ladder into the sailors fo-cstle which was in the aft tweendecks.Fortunately,being neither fish nor fowl I escaped most of the mayhem.Apart from that she was a well-found vessel,a coal burner,but the grub was of the best.Something rare in tramps of those days.Bacon and eggs(plural) every day with soda bread.Those were the days.Pierhead jumper.PS.The funnel emblem on those ships was the red hand of Ulster.Very appropriate I thought considering the sorry history of the place. P.J.

boboman
24th February 2006, 20:29
Thanks Pierhead,
This it's what i'm looking for "Real life in the Head Lines" & of course a bit of family history that still doesn't come through do.
From what I'm digging out from the net the History (& ventures) of the company It's getting very interesting.
I was thincking of getting all the possible news&pics and build a web page and in the case why not put everything on paper?
What do you thinck of it mates?
Any crew that want's to join in aboard the S.S Memory Head? (Scribe) (Scribe)

pierhead jumper
25th February 2006, 19:58
Oh,yes.Another snippet about the headline.There I was after a hard days graft on what I considered to be just an old Irish tramp,Lighting up a smoke on the fore deck.Here comes the mate"Put that bloody thing out.We don't allow smoking on the foredeck in these ships" Well------.Pierhead jumper.

Jim S
25th February 2006, 20:22
I attach a photo of Carrigan Head leaving Glasgow around 1959/60.
An 8271 grt single screw turbine steamer built in 1958 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast. In 1972 she was sold and renamed Chrysanthi of Cyprus, renamed Rysan in 1980 she was broken up at Gadani Beach in same year. Somewhat surprising for a steam ship to last that long when the oil crisis of the early 1970's saw wholesale scrapping of such ships.

Fergus 62
26th February 2006, 12:56
Hi
Recently found an old scrap book I kept as a kid before I went to sea. In the early 60s the Belfast Telgraph used to print a weekly report on the "Movements of Head Line ships" - I think it was on a Thursday. I've typed a copy from October 1960 (I still have the origional cutting) and this gives an insite into the Head Line at that time.
Ballygally Head (Capt Seaton) Arr Belfast Oct 23 from Antwerp anf Ghent. Sails Oct 25 via glasgow to load at Antwerp and Ghent.
Bengore Head (Capt Quail) Due Helsinki Oct 25 to load for Belfast and Dublin. Completes at Hamina Oct 31.
Carrigan Head (Capt Haddock) Expected to sail from Liverpool Oct 27 for Seven Islands then Montreal to load for Liverpool and Belfast.
Fair Head (Capt Greene) Sailed from Montreal Oct 24 for Toronto Detroit Chicago and Milwaukee
Innishowen Head (Vapt Clarke) Sailed Wilmington NC Oct 24 for Belfast dublin and Liverpool
Ramore Head (Capt Davey) Due Belfast Oct 27 hence Dublin and Liverpool
Rathlin Head (Capt Stark)Expected from Dalhousie Oct 25 for Montreal and Port Alfred to complete loading for Belfast Dublin and Liverpool
Roonagh Head Sailed Glasgow Oct 25 for Detriot and Chicago
Torr Head Expected to sail from Montreal Oct 25 for Liverpool and Belfast.

The Carrigan Head holds a special place in my life history because as a kid I always wanted to go to sea although there were no family ties. As the time drew close to declare my intentions to my parents (who didnt quite know how to handle this youthful dream) unbeknown to me they arranged for a visit to the Carrigan Head one Saturday. This was with the Engineering Superintendent (a friend of a family friend) who was under instructions to make the life style appear as grim as possible and so put me off and thinking on another career path. This guy failed miserably and I came home stating that was definitely for me and I was off to the School of Navigation.
From there on it was full ahead through school and on to the Ellerman Lines
(better routes than continuous N Atlantic) and I never regreted it,

Fergus 62

boboman
26th February 2006, 18:19
Hello Fergus,
I'm Capt.Quail's grandson and sailing for a journey in the past,it would be for me very helpfull for what I'm trying to do to have a copy of that original cut out.
Do you thinck it would be possible for you to send me a copy of it,can you scan?

Fergus 62
26th February 2006, 19:59
Hi Boboman
Unfortunately cannot scan (must drag myself into 21st Century some time).
I have in fact got three Head Line cuttings dating back to Autumn 1960 with Capt Quail listed on all three as Master of Bengore Head - all Baltic trips.
I'll drop you an e mail re getting photo copies to you

Rgds

Fergus 62

boboman
27th February 2006, 15:49
Hi Fergus,
Thanks a lot,will appreciate.
I ve received your Email answer asap.

mclean
22nd March 2006, 18:18
Hi
Recently found an old scrap book I kept as a kid before I went to sea. In the early 60s the Belfast Telgraph used to print a weekly report on the "Movements of Head Line ships" - I think it was on a Thursday. I've typed a copy from October 1960 (I still have the origional cutting) and this gives an insite into the Head Line at that time.
Ballygally Head (Capt Seaton) Arr Belfast Oct 23 from Antwerp anf Ghent. Sails Oct 25 via glasgow to load at Antwerp and Ghent.
Bengore Head (Capt Quail) Due Helsinki Oct 25 to load for Belfast and Dublin. Completes at Hamina Oct 31.
Carrigan Head (Capt Haddock) Expected to sail from Liverpool Oct 27 for Seven Islands then Montreal to load for Liverpool and Belfast.
Fair Head (Capt Greene) Sailed from Montreal Oct 24 for Toronto Detroit Chicago and Milwaukee
Innishowen Head (Vapt Clarke) Sailed Wilmington NC Oct 24 for Belfast dublin and Liverpool
Ramore Head (Capt Davey) Due Belfast Oct 27 hence Dublin and Liverpool
Rathlin Head (Capt Stark)Expected from Dalhousie Oct 25 for Montreal and Port Alfred to complete loading for Belfast Dublin and Liverpool
Roonagh Head Sailed Glasgow Oct 25 for Detriot and Chicago
Torr Head Expected to sail from Montreal Oct 25 for Liverpool and Belfast.

The Carrigan Head holds a special place in my life history because as a kid I always wanted to go to sea although there were no family ties. As the time drew close to declare my intentions to my parents (who didnt quite know how to handle this youthful dream) unbeknown to me they arranged for a visit to the Carrigan Head one Saturday. This was with the Engineering Superintendent (a friend of a family friend) who was under instructions to make the life style appear as grim as possible and so put me off and thinking on another career path. This guy failed miserably and I came home stating that was definitely for me and I was off to the School of Navigation.
From there on it was full ahead through school and on to the Ellerman Lines
(better routes than continuous N Atlantic) and I never regreted it,

Fergus 62
Would the superintendent have been Mr Walshe? Regards Colin

Fergus 62
22nd March 2006, 23:29
Colin
Sorry mate, I was a dewy eyed 15 yr old at the time (45 years ago) - I cannot remember his name now.
All the best
Fergus 62

spbrowne_123
23rd March 2006, 00:47
i sailed on the Inishowenhead of the Head lines in 1971

oceantramp
25th March 2006, 15:22

There is a history of Head LIne (G. Heyn & Sons Ltd) by W. J. Harvey and published by the World Ship Society in 1990.

Oceantramp

leggoaft
25th March 2006, 15:33
Before the days of the Head Line, was there a Lord Line of Belfast ?

mcgurggle
25th March 2006, 15:41
It was Head/Lord Line later was Head/Donaldson Line.
Head Line was a fore-runner of Port Line via JP Corry who still exist in Belfast as a timber merchants. Head Lines history is very complicated & verrrryyy interesting.
McG

Fergus 62
25th March 2006, 15:51
In 1916 The "Irish Shipowners" Co Ltd managed by Thomas Dixon & Sons (The LORD LINE) came together with the "Ulster Steamship" Co. Ltd and thus the Lord Line merged into the Head Line.
There were ships called Lord Antrim, Lord Downshire,Lord Glentoran,Lord Londonderry,and Lord O'Neill

Fergus 62

oceantramp
25th March 2006, 15:55
Before the days of the Head Line, was there a Lord Line of Belfast ?
Lord Line was founded by Thomas Dixon not sure of the date. The company was Irish Shipowners Co. Ltd known as Lord Line.
1917 the Irish Shipowners Co. Ltd went into voluntary liquidation and sold the two remaining ships to the Head Line they wre Lord Antrim and Lord Downshire
oceantramp

leggoaft
26th March 2006, 16:47
many thanks fo information regarding "Lord Line"

ruud
8th August 2006, 09:41
Ahoy,

Found the Fair Head, here her details:

Fair Head[1573 GT] built in 1957 at the Arnhem Shipbuilding Co, for the Ulster Steamship Co.-Belfast.
She was inaugurated the Head Line's service from the U.K. to the Great Lakes trade.
Specially strengthened for ice navigation over her whole length and in addition has an ice-knife at her stern, rather unusual for British ships,her equipment includes special wharping and mooring gear required for passing through the locks above Montreal.
LOA:258'
B:42'
D:18'
Eng:Werkspoor-Lugt diesel of 1800 bhp at 164 r.p.m with direct drive gives her a speed of 13Ż kn.

Aldinga
8th August 2006, 13:28
Two more of the fleet

Roonagh Head : Harland & Wolff 1952 9211 d.w.
Rathlin Head : Harland & Wolff 1953 9381 d.w

Ron

mcgurggle
13th August 2006, 10:59
Just posted a painting of the 'Torr Head' HERE (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/510/1805Torr_Head_Painting2.jpg)

boboman
8th September 2006, 19:25
Two more of the fleet

Roonagh Head : Harland & Wolff 1952 9211 d.w.
Rathlin Head : Harland & Wolff 1953 9381 d.w

Ron
It's wonderfull to know that threads are not just messages in a bottle,drifting away,and people work on them even long time after start.
This Forum it's wonderfull cause you really see that people READ with heart & soul.
And not just eyes running away.
Thanks mates I will repeat myself,but in this forum I find real friendship....FAMILY. (Applause)

Brian Campbell
20th February 2008, 22:41
some nice history on the headline . new billy purse ex inishoanhead from carrickfergus co antrim johnny harrison dec. jim kirkpatrick carrick fergus brian campbell

mcgurggle
21st February 2008, 07:14
some nice history on the headline . new billy purse ex inishoanhead from carrickfergus co antrim johnny harrison dec. jim kirkpatrick carrick fergus brian campbell

Hi Brian
I'm ex Carrick too.
I was Cook on the Inishowen along with Willie ('hand beg') purse also Johnnie (Tut Tut) Harrison. I was on her 3 trips from 9th March 71-29 June 71 with Captain's Fee & Maxwell.
Good craic [=P]
McG

Brian Campbell
22nd February 2008, 22:25
just seen your photo on this site only getting the hang of sending these messages i played with you in a band a long time ago are ya still takin an oul pint nice to here from you again brian .

mcgurggle
22nd February 2008, 23:21
I knew it was you when I saw you were a 'plant operator'. I remember you getting your first job learning to drive a JCB or something.! BTW, hows the finger?? Never stopped you playing guitar , eh? I can still hear 'Lay Down Sally' in Whiteabey Legion & see the Zits on Cameron's face.(Jester)
Yes Brian, I still enjoy a pint or three & even a wee Vat 19.
What brought you to this ole' god forsaken forum anyway, JCBs are'nt THAT Nautical?
Good to hear from you again. PM me if you want to go for a pint sometime.(Pint)
Brian

Brian Campbell
23rd February 2008, 21:35
hi brian i was tracing back on some of the ship ma da was on and foun it interesting a lot of my fathers cousins were all headline all in gleno cemetry now beggs

mcgurggle
24th February 2008, 10:00
hi brian i was tracing back on some of the ship ma da was on and foun it interesting a lot of my fathers cousins were all headline all in gleno cemetry now beggs

Give your Da's name & his cousins along with any ship names you know & you'll probably find someone who sailed with one or more of them. They're a good lot of old boys here & quite knowledgeable. (when sober)[=P]
Give it a try mate.
All the best
Brian

Brian Campbell
25th February 2008, 18:31
artie campbell ss ballygarvey .ballyhill ballyhalft ballylorne ballyrory 1963 ballyedward ballymore . cousin. willie beggs ballymore ithink he also malasis boats out of liverpool.both engineers headline gynn beggs eng. i think roonagh head. artie beggs billybeggs jimmy beggs dont no what ships they were on

mcgurggle
26th February 2008, 17:36
Bran
I know your Da's name & I think I was with him on the Ballyhill in Feb 1972.
Could this be right? Look - there's lots of Kelly men on this site, have you introduced yourself yet? Go to the 'Saying Hello' forum & introduce yourself & tell them why you're here (eg. researching your Da & others). I guarantee that you will find quite a few who knew him.
Give it a try.
BTW where are you living now?
Luck
Brian

Brian Campbell
1st March 2008, 17:23
hi brian living donegal we place called ardara not far from killybegs

mcgurggle
2nd March 2008, 15:19
Brian
I've sent you a private message. Make sure you're logged in & you will see the "Private Messages" tab at the very top/almost centre of the screen.
Click it to get your private mail.
Brian

brian kernaghan
8th September 2008, 09:34
It was Head/Lord Line later was Head/Donaldson Line.
Head Line was a fore-runner of Port Line via JP Corry who still exist in Belfast as a timber merchants. Head Lines history is very complicated & verrrryyy interesting.
McG

In gold lettering on the windows of the old Head Line building the following appeared.
G Heyn & Sons, Head Line, Lord Line & the Mountain Steamship Company.
Re the latter, there was at least one ship called the " Lurigethan" ....which is the flat-topped mountain behind Cushendall.
This was before my time, but some of the old hands had sailed on her. Capt Stanley Stark, with whom I sailed as an apprentice, had some stories about her.
BK

Wil Smith
10th September 2008, 06:29
Just came across this thread - must have missed it before. I was on the Rathlin Head 1953-1956 as an apprentice before going ashore in Montreal. Grew up in Bangor on shore-front and was very interested in radio, so heard and saw lots of traffic up & down Belfast Lough (and across to Ailsa Craig on a good day).
First trips to sea as school-boy on "Whin" (also known as Ballywhin) as guest of Capt. across to Preston & Glasgow.
Re the Lurigethan - Blt 1916 as Calaeno for Hudig & Veder N.V. Holland. Sold 1933 to Mountain Steamship Co. Ltd (G. Heyn & Sons Ltd managers). 23.1.1941 Sunk by aircraft bombs 53.46N., 16.00W., West of Ireland. ("Head Line" by W.J. Harvey).

brian kernaghan
12th November 2008, 16:06
No-one seems to be writing anymore, so┤here are a few names from the sixties which may stir some memories, any maybe a response.
Bangor men I can recall from the early 60┤s include
Gary Martin from the seacliffe road, sailed with me as apprentice, later became master in Kellys; Denis mc Clure apprentice, later went AB ? Brian Cassidy AB Tony Chappell became master, ditto Peter Sherriff, Jimmy Milhench, Jim Kimm, bosun, Donaghadee, Big John Hamilton Ch Steward, also from the ┤Dee

Masters and mates I sailed with, Willie Baird, S.T. (Tam) Ross, William Haddock, Andy Fee, Carson Rea, Stanley Stark, Eric Seaton, Eddie (scuppergub) Davey. Jimmy Green , a Killybegs man.
Juan Gomez , both as mate and master, Thomas McIntyre Hamill as mate and master, Norman Walsh, as mate on my first trip, and later as master.
Hughie O┤Byrne was first trip 3rd mate on the Ramore, 1960, eventually became Belfast harbour master. Mervyn Mc Connell, as apprentice, he was later master on the Stranraer ferry. Frankie Best, Harry Thompson, John Auld, Dennis Chinn, Ted Hayes,
Other apprentices and 2nd/3rd Mates,
Harry Alldritt, Tony Bell, Howard Robert Mason lll......How about that one ??
John ( sleepy ) Lowry, The brothers Seaye, Wuff 1 & 2, Eric White, Michael (eagle-beak ) Knight, Brian Skillen, "the commodore" , Desi McKinley from Derry, Brian McShane, became harbourmaster in Liverpool ? Hughie Stewart from Quintin Point, Robert Aiken ( flap) , Andy & Sandy Niblock, Terry Pratt, Doc Savage, Michael Alexander, Brian Michael Connor, Davey Alexander, Eric Dunwoody, Stewarty Thompson,
I┤ll remember more, maybe do the engineers , the deck crowd, and the catering in later fits of madness.
Does anyone out there remember a chippy called Jimmy Crooks ?? or an AB John Nicolas ( mad dog ) Lynott,
We used to load whisky in Glasgow Yorkhill dock, and discharge about 20% of it in the great lakes ports. What a life .
I hope that this provokes a response.........

Wil Smith
14th November 2008, 05:46
Hi Brian
When I joined the Rathlin Head at the end of 1953, I seem to remember the following-
Captain - Joe kennedy
Chief officer - Cyril Pringle
2nd Officer - Robert Crawford
3rd Officer - ? Dunwoody ?
Ch Steward - John Hamilton
Ch Engineer - Henry Carson
Carpenter - W Gray
Apprentices - Sandy Niblock, George Clint, Joe Savage
R/O - Ernie Heywood
I can "see" Bosun, Cook (Ned) and some of the Engineers but cannot remember names.
Jimmy Ronald & Peter Sherriff joined later as apprentices, and I think Andy Frizell for a short time.
Somewhere I have a Christmas Menu signed by many of the crew (1955?) - I am trying to find it but it is escaping me at present.
Happy memories!
Wil

brian kernaghan
14th November 2008, 11:04
Hello Wil,
Thanks for your response,
Joe (bull ) Kennedy retired around the time I joined my first ship at the end of 1959. Cyril Pringle and Bob Crawford both went to Canada and settled in Toronto I believe. I sailed with Bob when he was mate on the Carrigan in 1961
Eric Dunwoody sat his 2nd mates around 1960 so I don┤t think he could have been on the Rathlin at the time you were there.
John Hamilton was ch steward when I was appce on the Rathlin and still there when I was 3rd mate in 1964.
Geordie Clint was working ashore in the office when last I heard of him. Andy Frizzell was running a pub in Donaghadee, his sister married Mervyn McConnell, mentioned previously, now retired , living in Ballygally. Doc Savage died some years ago. He is mentioned in the W.J.Harvey book " The Head Line" Henry Carson retired early 60┤s , I think that he was still chief on the Carrigan when I was there ?? maybe that was his last trip.
Other chief engineers I sailed with ... J.C. Thompson, Mike Patton, Davie Hillock ( the silver fox ) , George Deaney, Davie Mc.Keown, Chunky Garrett,
Harry Stevenson, Johnny "tut-tut" Harrison, married Nellie Jackson, owner of the Millbay Inn in Islandmagee. There was another chief from Cloughey, Joe? Savage.
Perhaps these names will stir a response from some otherĘ┤÷ul hands. Now I┤ve started the names and places keep flooding back.
I┤ll do the deck crowd and catering dept next.
best regards, Brian K.

mclean
14th November 2008, 19:59
Brian, am sure you probably know that John Auld passed away quite some time ago. He was a character. Listened to many of his stories, as only he could tell them, in Convery,s pub. visited Andy Frizzell in his pub a few years ago. What about Bob Copeland? Was he not with Head Line? Met him often when he was Mate on the Cast Beaver,(Inishowen Head), with Frank Best as Master. Bst Rgds. Colin

BillH
14th November 2008, 20:07
Ahoy,

Fair Head[1573 GT] built in 1957 at the Arnhem Shipbuilding Co, for the Ulster Steamship Co.-Belfast.
She was inaugurated the Head Line's service from the U.K. to the Great Lakes trade.
Specially strengthened for ice navigation over her whole length and in addition has an ice-knife at her stern, rather unusual for British ships,her equipment includes special wharping and mooring gear required for passing through the locks above Montreal.
Eng:Werkspoor-Lugt diesel of 1800 bhp at 164 r.p.m with direct drive gives her a speed of 13Ż kn.
She was lengthened in 1964 from 245' 5" to 292' 7" increasing her grt to 1,948

Irvingman
14th November 2008, 20:31
Hello Wil,
............... Cyril Pringle and Bob Crawford both went to Canada and settled in Toronto I believe............... best regards, Brian K.

Cy Pringle was Harbour Master in St John, New Brunswick when I was there in 1981, he retired a few years later.
John

Irvingman
14th November 2008, 20:33
Hello Wil,
............... Cyril Pringle and Bob Crawford both went to Canada and settled in Toronto I believe............... best regards, Brian K.

Cy Pringle was Harbour Master in St John, New Brunswick when I was there in 1981, he retired a few years later.
John

Wil Smith
15th November 2008, 04:43
Brian, second thoughts - I think Jimmy Greig was 3rd Mate in 1953 - Sammy (?) Dunwoody came later

yachtingfreak
25th November 2008, 23:24
Hi brian just reminiscing with my Dad John McGurk who was cook on the inishowen. He remembers lots of the names and I myself remember Ned Thompson as cook. Ill get some more names off him next time he's round
Andy

Fastfisher16
26th November 2008, 12:18
Hi folks, this is a brilliant thread,which is bringing back fond memories. I joined the Carrigan Head in Belfast , I think 1965, but could have been '64 I was the junior apprentice. Maurice Hobson was 2nd. app. and Roy Fitzpatrick was senior. I can't remember who was skipper or any of the Mates. I think JC Thompson was Ch. Engineer. and Jim Demster was Cook. I am sorry about the names but have had heart problems and memory is very poor. I can remember lots of the names in the previous posts.
Can anyone ID any of the crew on the Carrigan in 1965 ??
Thanks,
Richard

mcgurggle
26th November 2008, 18:32
Hi brian just reminiscing with my Dad John McGurk who was cook on the inishowen. He remembers lots of the names and I myself remember Ned Thompson as cook. Ill get some more names off him next time he's round
Andy

Hi'ya Andy
My name's Brian Galloway & I was yer Da's 2nd Cook & Bricklayer on the Torr Head from 10 Feb '70 to 2nd Oct '70. The ship I use for my avitar is from a painting of the Torr Head by Frank McKelvey. Thats because it was the best ship I ever sailed on. I don't know if John will remember me so if you click on my profile you will see a pic of me as I am recently, a good bit heavier but still as ugly...! I remember the skipper was Eddie 'the duke' Davy. there was on deck, wee John Scully (Sligo) , Brendan Docherty (Moville), Hughie Boyd (Brother of Jimmy Boyd also cook with Head Line). Cyril Thompson ? was Chief Steward & I think the 2nd Steward was Francie Blakley.
We got quite a bit of 'cargo brand whiskey' (J&B) from Glasgow & good times were had by all[=P]
I hope yer Da' remembers me. I was actually him who informed Mr. Landells (Catering Super) that I held a Chief Cooks ticket & bummed me up to be a 'not too bad cook', so I was transfered to the Santona as Chief Cook . I was sorry to leave the Torr cos' these were some of the best days of my life...(Thumb) (before I got married)!!!
If John remembers me, tell him to get in touch as I would love to have a yarn with him.
McG (Brian)

brian kernaghan
2nd December 2008, 15:40
Andy

Hi Andy, I sailed with your dad I┤m sure, can┤t remember which "head" ┤tho. Ask him if remembers the mouse. Brian K

brian kernaghan
4th December 2008, 09:41
Hi'ya Andy
My name's Brian Galloway & I was yer Da's 2nd Cook & Bricklayer on the Torr Head from 10 Feb '70 to 2nd Oct '70. The ship I use for my avitar is from a painting of the Torr Head by Frank McKelvey. Thats because it was the best ship I ever sailed on. I don't know if John will remember me so if you click on my profile you will see a pic of me as I am recently, a good bit heavier but still as ugly...! I remember the skipper was Eddie 'the duke' Davy. there was on deck, wee John Scully (Sligo) , Brendan Docherty (Moville), Hughie Boyd (Brother of Jimmy Boyd also cook with Head Line). Cyril Thompson ? was Chief Steward & I think the 2nd Steward was Francie Blakley.
We got quite a bit of 'cargo brand whiskey' (J&B) from Glasgow & good times were had by all[=P]
I hope yer Da' remembers me. I was actually him who informed Mr. Landells (Catering Super) that I held a Chief Cooks ticket & bummed me up to be a 'not too bad cook', so I was transfered to the Santona as Chief Cook . I was sorry to leave the Torr cos' these were some of the best days of my life...(Thumb) (before I got married)!!!
If John remembers me, tell him to get in touch as I would love to have a yarn with him.
McG (Brian)

Hello Mc Gurgle,
The Torr Head in your picture had a relatively short life as a "Head Boat", 1961.....1972. Her design didn┤t allow for easy conversion to containers. Some said that she was almost out of date as soon as she was launched. such was the speed of the marine container revolution.. Your picture is one of a series which were sold as cards by both the missions to seamen (N.I.) and as a greetings card by the R.N.L.I... All were painted by Phillip Williamson, an ex seafarer. I knew him as a member of Carrickfergus Sailing Club in the mid 70┤s. There used to be some of his painting in the clubhouse┤.
I also recall that there was a little art gallery along the Carrick seafront, near the Coast Road Hotel, which had some of his pictures for sale.
Frank Mc Kelvey, to the best of my knowledge was best known as a landscape artist. He died in 1974.
BK

R831814
4th December 2008, 10:10
Inishowen Head here.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/101677/ppuser/7321

mcgurggle
4th December 2008, 13:38
Inishowen Head here.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/101677/ppuser/7321

More likely this one Reg (ex Cast Beaver)
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3268/innishowenheadqz3.jpg
McG

mcgurggle
4th December 2008, 13:47
Hello Mc Gurgle,
The Torr Head in your picture had a relatively short life as a "Head Boat", 1961.....1972. Her design didn┤t allow for easy conversion to containers. Some said that she was almost out of date as soon as she was launched. such was the speed of the marine container revolution.. Your picture is one of a series which were sold as cards by both the missions to seamen (N.I.) and as a greetings card by the R.N.L.I... All were painted by Phillip Williamson, an ex seafarer. I knew him as a member of Carrickfergus Sailing Club in the mid 70┤s. There used to be some of his painting in the clubhouse┤.
I also recall that there was a little art gallery along the Carrick seafront, near the Coast Road Hotel, which had some of his pictures for sale.
Frank Mc Kelvey, to the best of my knowledge was best known as a landscape artist. He died in 1974.
BK

Hi Brian
You're probably right about the artist. I only presumed it was McKelvey.
As for Landscape artist ?
Take a wee 'Jeff Duke' here !!
http://www.kellyshipping.com/titles.htm

brian kernaghan
4th December 2008, 15:29
Hi Brian
You're probably right about the artist. I only presumed it was McKelvey.
As for Landscape artist ?
Take a wee 'Jeff Duke' here !!
http://www.kellyshipping.com/titles.htm

Thanks McG.. I see what you mean !! Kellys had some great calendars with their ships`pictures , I know that Mc Kelvey painted dockland scenes, but never realised he did ships!! You can google Phillip J Williamson , his pictures are a fraction of the price of a McKelvey, but look good to me..

Fastfisher16
4th December 2008, 17:18
Hello Brian sorry for butting in but I can remember you name from the Head Line. Not sure if I sailed with you but must have meet you at some stage. I think you were 3rd. mate or prehaps 2nd. on one of the 'R' boats when I joined the Carrigan in 1964/65

Fastfisher16
4th December 2008, 17:28
Re paintings of Head boats, I have a painting of the Inishowen Head. It was painted by Cecil Wynd. Anyone know of him or have any info??

R831814
4th December 2008, 18:38
More likely this one Reg (ex Cast Beaver)
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3268/innishowenheadqz3.jpg
McG

? Not sure what you mean. Probably a senior moment :sweat:

mcgurggle
4th December 2008, 19:11
? Not sure what you mean. Probably a senior moment :sweat:

What I mean is they are 'Inishowen Head's' from different era's. I think John McGurk was probably Chief Cook on the one I posted.
I was also Chief Cook on it from April 71 to June 71.
Or maybe John was on both of them in his time !?
Anyway, maybe John will put us right.(Thumb)
McG

R831814
4th December 2008, 19:47
What I mean is they are 'Inishowen Head's' from different era's. I think John McGurk was probably Chief Cook on the one I posted.
I was also Chief Cook on it from April 71 to June 71.
Or maybe John was on both of them in his time !?
Anyway, maybe John will put us right.(Thumb)
McG

OK, with you now. I was going back to start of thread where someone was looking for general Head Line info. As I said, Senior Moment. Bus pass next year......(Jester)

brian kernaghan
5th December 2008, 12:13
Hello Brian sorry for butting in but I can remember you name from the Head Line. Not sure if I sailed with you but must have meet you at some stage. I think you were 3rd. mate or prehaps 2nd. on one of the 'R' boats when I joined the Carrigan in 1964/65

I did my first trip as 3rd mate on the Ballygally probably around May 1964, I was at different times on all the "R" boats. On the BallyG Eric Seaton was master, the mate was Stewarty Thompson, 2nd mate Brian Mc Shane, Ch Engr "KayeDon" Swift. I recall the name Roy Fitzpatrick you mentioned earlier, he was a good friend of Harry Alldritt...........BK

seanmac
14th December 2008, 17:19
I sailed on the Inishowen Head in 1967,her first run up the lakes that year,and the next voyage.I was a jos back then.I remember that the cargo included (irish mist),and we aquired some samples,

1690doc
4th January 2009, 20:34
I was on the Inishowen Head from Sept. 68 to Sept 69 as deck apprentice but I cannot remember any names. I do remember that my first trip was with Capt. Fee who sadly died a short time after this voyage. As to who replaced him I have no recollection. I do remember that the 3rd Engineer was Harry Burns. Anyone remember any other names from the Inishowen at this time?

brian kernaghan
6th February 2009, 12:16
I was on the Inishowen Head from Sept. 68 to Sept 69 as deck apprentice but I cannot remember any names. I do remember that my first trip was with Capt. Fee who sadly died a short time after this voyage. As to who replaced him I have no recollection. I do remember that the 3rd Engineer was Harry Burns. Anyone remember any other names from the Inishowen at this time?

Capt Andy Fee was related to me through marriage. I sailed with him on th "R" boats when I was apprentice & 3rd mate. He died , digging his garden whilst on leave. ┤69 or ┤70
Here┤s another bunch of names from the 60┤s
Tich Gunning, apprentice, Patsy Monaghan , Ernie Coyle, bosuns on the Fair & Torr heads , Nobby Clarke ( Larne ) Rene Alaru ( Estonia) both bosuns. George Breen, Roy Pledge, Bob Harris, Willie Morrison , Tom Sellars, all mates & masters. On Deck.....Charlie John & Rab AXON, Jimmy, Johnny & Harry Neill. Francie Leckie, Neilly Coyle, Geordie Pierce , lamptrimmer ,, Ramore. Champ Mc Williams, Jackie Kendall, Jimmy mc Donald, Harry Rooney, chippy, Ardglass. Petey Ward, AB
R/O┤s Henk Sterling, Rodney Shephard, Brendan O┤Callaghan, ???Davidson
Catering ...."Sitting Bull" ch stwd. Sammy Higginson 2nd stwd Brian Mc Conville all Torr Head, 1960 Robert Vance, Mickey Woods, Fair Head, Maurice O┤Toole, from Larne.
Anybody any recollections out these ?????

sailingday
6th February 2009, 17:01
I did a few trips on the Dundrum Bay (51/52), lanaghans of belfast, mad crew from the skipper down, but loads of fun.

roibaird7
9th February 2009, 08:23
just joined this site and enjoying the Head Line memories .---------I was on the Empire Glade 1944 managed by Heyns ........joined the EMPIRE GARRISON just after the war----previous name CALLIOPE........... then later named the BENGORE HEAD .......then a few trips on the LORD GLENTORAN.

The ould memory box gets a little confused re names but came to life when reading some of your posts by Brian !

cheers Bob Gibson
PS I was in the Catering Dept

roibaird7
12th February 2009, 04:51
and whilst I'm still o this Head Lnen lark lol my brother Jamesie Gibson was a donkey mand on several Head Line -----------also my brother in law Bille Mc Quillan was donkey man as well

Wil Smith
7th March 2009, 21:28
I have just posted 6 photos of Rathlin Head shipmates to the "Members' Faces" Gallery. I will be posting more Rathlin & general Head Line over the next few days (restricted to 6 per day).
Hope you enjoy and they bring back some memories.
Cheers, Wil.

weewillie
25th July 2009, 06:19
Hello Wil,
Joe (bull ) Kennedy retired around the time I joined my first ship at the end of 1959. Cyril Pringle and Bob Crawford both went to Canada and settled in Toronto I believe. I sailed with Bob when he was mate on the Carrigan in 1961
Eric Dunwoody sat his 2nd mates around 1960 so I don┤t think he could have been on the Rathlin at the time you were there.
John Hamilton was ch steward when I was appce on the Rathlin and still there when I was 3rd mate in 1964.
Geordie Clint was working ashore in the office when last I heard of him. Andy Frizzell was running a pub in Donaghadee, his sister married Mervyn McConnell, mentioned previously, now retired , living in Ballygally. Doc Savage died some years ago. He is mentioned in the W.J.Harvey book " The Head Line" Henry Carson retired early 60┤s , I think that he was still chief on the Carrigan when I was there ?? maybe that was his last trip.
Other chief engineers I sailed with ... J.C. Thompson, Mike Patton, Davie Hillock ( the silver fox ) , George Deaney, Davie Mc.Keown, Chunky Garrett,
Harry Stevenson, Johnny "tut-tut" Harrison, married Nellie Jackson, owner of the Millbay Inn in Islandmagee. There was another chief from Cloughey, Joe? Savage.
Perhaps these names will stir a response from some otherĘ┤÷ul hands. Now I┤ve started the names and places keep flooding back.
best regards, Brian K.

Brian,thanks for bring back all those names. I sailed with Johnny Harrison when he was 2nd eng, Tommy Purdy was chief and Davy Hillock was my old man. I also sailed with Bambi Thompson and Campbell Kerr. Have some pics I will post when I can dig them out. I was also on the Fair Head at 12 years old when my old man brought her back from Arnhem

Mel Sherwood
8th November 2013, 16:01
Hi, I Emergrated to Canada aboard the Rathlin Head in april 1964 a very pleasant trip with many memorys. I was put onto the Company by my uncle Dave he worked as an engineer on board the Head line fleet before he went to Canada in the 1950s is name is David Haggerty.

Harry Kicubbin
17th November 2013, 10:56
Would the superintendent have been Mr Walshe? Regards Colin

Hi Fergus, nice to read your entry, brought back many memories, I knew all you mentioned, was with Head Line for 14 years, from 6th Eng to Ch Eng. This is a great site, hope others get in touch. Most are now deceased, but still a few of us around. Capt Maxwell, Andy Niblock George Deaney (now 90+). Wonderful years, except for the crossing of the Atlantic. Ha Ha. Regards Harry

Harry Kicubbin
17th November 2013, 11:11
Hello Wil,
best regards, Brian K. Hi Brian. I was 14 years with Headline from 58 to 73, Knew all you mentioned, most have sadly passed on, but still a few of us left. Wonderful memories and great bunch of guys, right from Master to galley boy. Would love to hear from other shipmates drawing the pension ? Ha Ha Regards Harry

Bob Fennelly
25th November 2013, 15:39
I've never served on ships but I have been looking for information on my ancestors, and it has been quite interesting reading this thread, even though it is after my relatives time.

My Great Grandfather Edward Simmonson was a Chief Mate and he sailed on the Carrigan Head (first one) in 1921, as did his brother Harry, who was an Able Seaman.

Another of his brothers, Ignatius, drowned while serving on the Torr Head (first one) in November 1916, just a few months before it was torpedoed.

Harry Kicubbin
1st December 2013, 12:28
Hi Brian. I was 14 years with Headline from 58 to 73, Knew all you mentioned, most have sadly passed on, but still a few of us left. Wonderful memories and great bunch of guys, right from Master to galley boy. Would love to hear from other shipmates drawing the pension ? Ha Ha Regards Harry Hi Brian, it was Jimmy Savage not Joe, with exception of Mike Patton, who now lives in Thunder Bay Canada, the others are deceased. Harry

Johnnietwocoats
26th December 2013, 00:13
No-one seems to be writing anymore, so┤here are a few names from the sixties which may stir some memories, any maybe a response.
Bangor men I can recall from the early 60┤s include
Gary Martin from the seacliffe road, sailed with me as apprentice, later became master in Kellys; Denis mc Clure apprentice, later went AB ? Brian Cassidy AB Tony Chappell became master, ditto Peter Sherriff, Jimmy Milhench, Jim Kimm, bosun, Donaghadee, Big John Hamilton Ch Steward, also from the ┤Dee

Masters and mates I sailed with, Willie Baird, S.T. (Tam) Ross, William Haddock, Andy Fee, Carson Rea, Stanley Stark, Eric Seaton, Eddie (scuppergub) Davey. Jimmy Green , a Killybegs man.
Juan Gomez , both as mate and master, Thomas McIntyre Hamill as mate and master, Norman Walsh, as mate on my first trip, and later as master.
Hughie O┤Byrne was first trip 3rd mate on the Ramore, 1960, eventually became Belfast harbour master. Mervyn Mc Connell, as apprentice, he was later master on the Stranraer ferry. Frankie Best, Harry Thompson, John Auld, Dennis Chinn, Ted Hayes,
Other apprentices and 2nd/3rd Mates,
Harry Alldritt, Tony Bell, Howard Robert Mason lll......How about that one ??
John ( sleepy ) Lowry, The brothers Seaye, Wuff 1 & 2, Eric White, Michael (eagle-beak ) Knight, Brian Skillen, "the commodore" , Desi McKinley from Derry, Brian McShane, became harbourmaster in Liverpool ? Hughie Stewart from Quintin Point, Robert Aiken ( flap) , Andy & Sandy Niblock, Terry Pratt, Doc Savage, Michael Alexander, Brian Michael Connor, Davey Alexander, Eric Dunwoody, Stewarty Thompson,
I┤ll remember more, maybe do the engineers , the deck crowd, and the catering in later fits of madness.
Does anyone out there remember a chippy called Jimmy Crooks ?? or an AB John Nicolas ( mad dog ) Lynott,
We used to load whisky in Glasgow Yorkhill dock, and discharge about 20% of it in the great lakes ports. What a life .
I hope that this provokes a response.........

Hi Brian...
Just visiting this thread as I am usually on the Bank Line Thread. I think you and I may have gone to pre-sea school together. Gary Martin and I were pretty good pals. I know some of the 59/60 boys from Blythe Street went to Head Line. I met Philip Gunning a couple of years ago. Jim Birch is another I remember who went with Headline...Perhaps you could fill me in..
Merry Christmas
John Pye Vancouver Canada

Harry Kicubbin
26th December 2013, 09:29
Hi Brian...
Just visiting this thread as I am usually on the Bank Line Thread. I think you and I may have gone to pre-sea school together. Gary Martin and I were pretty good pals. I know some of the 59/60 boys from Blythe Street went to Head Line. I met Philip Gunning a couple of years ago. Jim Birch is another I remember who went with Headline...Perhaps you could fill me in..
Merry Christmas
Hi John. Knew and sailed with most of those people mentioned, sadly most are now deceased. I could give you an up-to-date list of them but think it would be better to send you a personal email. I sailed with Head Line from Nov 58 to July 73. My friend from Portavogie who I served my apprenticeship with in H & W, was a Bank Line man and now lives in Cobble Hill B.C. I still keep in touch with him. I am giving you my email address, if you wish to send me an email, I should be able to supply you with all you quite a lot of info on many you have named. My email: hahastep@tiscali.co.uk. Happy New Year to you.

ferrandou
31st December 2013, 11:11
Hi Harry, I had a friend from Portavogie named Dave McCormick, he was on deck but not with Head Line. Just wondering if you ever knew him.
Regards,
Bob Hollis

Harry Kicubbin
31st December 2013, 14:36
Hi Harry, I had a friend from Portavogie named Dave McCormick, he was on deck but not with Head Line. Just wondering if you ever knew him.
Regards,
Bob Hollis Sorry Bob, but my friend Tom Taylor will definitely know him, I will get in touch with Tom, and see if he has heard of him lately.

ferrandou
31st December 2013, 17:01
Sorry Bob, but my friend Tom Taylor will definitely know him, I will get in touch with Tom, and see if he has heard of him lately.

Thanks Harry, we shared a house in Ealing after leaving the sea and Dave met a girl when the two of us were working over in Bristol. I moved to North London and went back to sea for 9 months. Dave moved to Bristol and got married.

Harry Kicubbin
31st December 2013, 20:10
Thanks Harry, we shared a house in Ealing after leaving the sea and Dave met a girl when the two of us were working over in Bristol. I moved to North London and went back to sea for 9 months. Dave moved to Bristol and got married. I will be talking to Tom on Sunday, he lives in B.C. but has a holiday home in Phoenix, where he is at the moment. Any news I get I will post it on this site. Regards Harry

ferrandou
31st December 2013, 22:50
Thanks Harry, that is great, Happy 2014 to you and yours.

Bob.

PS. Harry did you ever know about the lads who got two new boats and got the job of trawlin' the Bristol Channel for a special airplane which crashed there while undergoing tests? Seem to remember they paid off the cost of their boats in a very short time.
Regards, Bob

Harry Kicubbin
1st January 2014, 09:18

Bob.

PS. Harry did you ever know about the lads who got two new boats and got the job of trawlin' the Bristol Channel for a special airplane which crashed there while undergoing tests? Seem to remember they paid off the cost of their boats in a very short time.
Regards, Bob Sorry Bob, that is one story that has slipped under my radar, but will check with others if they know anything about it. Harry

Harry Kicubbin
6th January 2014, 09:17
Sorry Bob, that is one story that has slipped under my radar, but will check with others if they know anything about it. Harry Hi Bob, Spoke to my friend Tom from Portavogie, yes he did know Dave McCormick and the whole family, but sorry to say that he has last touch with them due to living in B.C. this last forty years plus. Harry

ferrandou
6th January 2014, 11:15
Thanks for that Harry.

Barney39
23rd February 2014, 22:26
Hello,
I sailed under your Grandfather in the 60s. I served with him for five trips to Finnish ports and also on one trip your Grandmother voyaged with us. She was a lovely lady. I have fond memories of your grandpa. My rating was AB. I can send you a copy of my discharge book with his signature if you wish, just send me your email address.

All best,

boboman
24th February 2014, 09:00
Hello,
I sailed under your Grandfather in the 60s. I served with him for five trips to Finnish ports and also on one trip your Grandmother voyaged with us. She was a lovely lady. I have fond memories of your grandpa. My rating was AB. I can send you a copy of my discharge book with his signature if you wish, just send me your email address.

All best,

Hello Barney
I've answered to your private message,I would really appreciate to have your souvenirs of your time with my grandfather.
Please send all that you have ,even if there isn't my GF on the photos
or documents but they are concerning "his" ship and Company .
Please do send your personal memories aswell.
In my Personal Photo Gallery (here in Ship Nostalgia) I've posted some photos of my GF ,most of them are about his trips to Finland.
In one there is my GranMother also,it has been probably taken during the trip you have mentioned.
Have a look if you recognize yourself in the others or if you can give a name to the other people on them.
Thank You again
Sergio A.A. Quail Manente

Harry Kicubbin
24th February 2014, 09:31
Hi Brian...
Merry Christmas
Hi Brian, Just to let you know that P.J.Sherriff ex Master in Head Line, was buried last Wednesday, another shipmate gone, but will always be remembered. Harry

Wil Smith
24th February 2014, 21:27
Hi Brian, Just to let you know that P.J.Sherriff ex Master in Head Line, was buried last Wednesday, another shipmate gone, but will always be remembered. Harry

Thank you Harry for posting that news, although I am very sorry to see it.
Peter, also from Bangor, started as an apprentice about 6 months after me, and we shared a cabin on the Rathlin Head for about 2 years until I went ashore. We continued to meet up when he was in port in Montreal, but we lost contact after I moved to Vancouver. Wil

reefrat
25th February 2014, 06:31
Ahoy,

What is an ice knife? pray tell a tropical matelot.

Harry Kicubbin
25th February 2014, 09:09
Thank you Harry for posting that news, although I am very sorry to see it.
Peter, also from Bangor, started as an apprentice about 6 months after me, and we shared a cabin on the Rathlin Head for about 2 years until I went ashore. We continued to meet up when he was in port in Montreal, but we lost contact after I moved to Vancouver. Wil Hi Wil. I sailed with Peter on many occasions from his apprenticeship through to Master as I passed through the ranks of Junior Engineer to Chief Engineer. Last time I met Peter was at a Head Line reunion dinner, where those remaining from that era, had a most enjoyable time, recalling those happy days. If you need any information on any of the people you sailed with I believe I can help you whether they are still with us or not. Harry

ferrandou
25th February 2014, 10:23
What is an ice knife? pray tell a tropical matelot.

An ice knife is placed under the hull just for'ard of the Prop and rudder as protection for these. There was also an ice horn which would be abaft the rudder but I was not aware that the Fair Head had any of these. These extra fittings were more usually found on ships on the Baltic run and I suspect that is the reason they were on the Fair Head.

Capt. Duarte
22nd April 2014, 19:52
Fellow Members;
I am seeking crew information for the years 1968 to 1970 onboard the vessel "Fair Head". Specifically the name of the Captain.
Also, information on the cadets that sailed during these times.

The "Fair Head" was a regular visitor to the City of Toronto, Canada.

Regards,
Capt. Duarte

Harry Kicubbin
23rd April 2014, 09:15
Fellow Members;
I am seeking crew information for the years 1968 to 1970 onboard the vessel "Fair Head". Specifically the name of the Captain.

Regards,
Capt. Duarte
Good Morning Capt Duarte, I sailed in Head Line from 1958 until 1967, from 6th Engineer to Chief Engineer. I went ashore for two years due to the death of my mother and returned to Head Line in 1969, so that complicates it a bit for me to give you the information you require. However there are a few of us still living here in Northern Ireland who should be able to give you the information you want, so I will try and make contact with them as I seldom see them except on the rare occasion of a reunion or the demise of an old shipmate.

Will be in touch,

Best regards

Harry

Capt. Duarte
23rd April 2014, 17:49
Dear Harry:

Thank you for replying to my query. I will await your reply hoping that some information is available.

Regards,

Capt. Duarte

harry t.
14th June 2014, 20:50
Fellow Members;

Regards,
Capt. Duarte
Capt.(Doc)J.D.Savage was the Master during this period(1968 to 1970), later briefly leaving the Head Line to go to Denholm's of Glasgow, then returning to the Fair Head when she was sold to Maldive Shipping, spending 16 months in their employ,John Heatley was the Chief Engineer. Harry Thompson relieved the "Doc" several times during those two earlier years on the North Atlantic and Baltic runs.

Capt. Duarte
14th June 2014, 22:10
Dear Harry T.:

Thank you for the additional information about Capt. Savage. He was a great source of information about starting my sea career. I heard that he passed away at an early age, any information on this matter?

Best Regards,

Capt. Duarte

Harry Kicubbin
15th June 2014, 09:28
Hi Brian...
Merry Christmas
John Pye Vancouver Canada Hi Brian. Was impressed with your recall of Head Line shipmates, sailed with most of those you mentioned, I believe also you. Look forward to hearing from you on the engineers and deck hands. Was at a Head Line reunion this year and enjoyed seeing a few ex-shipmates, including P.J.Sherriff, who sadly passed away a few weeks ago. Regards Harry Stephenson

Harry Kicubbin
15th June 2014, 09:39

Bob.

Regards, Bob Hi Bob, Sorry never heard of those two lads who got their boat paid trawling for an aeroplane in the Bristol channel. Harry

harry t.
15th June 2014, 15:20
Doc came from Randalstown,Co.Antrim. He and I joined the Fanad Head together in 1953. Sadly he crossed the bar around 1990 and was buried at Ballycarry in Co.Antrim. British shipping disappeared at a rate of knots from the
70's on. Most of us,Doc included, sailed 'foreign flag' thereafter and where obliged to do longer tours and as my wee woman told me on one occasion,'any more trips like that, don't bother coming home'
I have a couple of early photos of Doc on the Fanad and a short cine clip taken while he was Master on the Fair Head circa.1968 in Montreal.(the trouble now is to find them-if I do, I will post on to you if you like.)

harry t.
15th June 2014, 16:28
Hi there, a wee clip, 'Doc' and his c/o Davy Alexander on their way to lunch at Montreal circa.1968
http://www.shipsnostalgia.tv/action/viewvideo/3260/circa_1968/?ref=harry t.

Capt. Duarte
16th June 2014, 22:39
Dear Harry T.:

Thank you for your replies and video about Capt. (Doc) Savage. Should you find the pictures of you and Capt. Savage I would greatly appreciate.

I have an email that you can send the pictures directly to me: egduarte@sealegacy.com

Best Regards:

Capt. Duarte

harry t.
17th June 2014, 09:58
Dear Harry T.:

Thank you for your replies and video about Capt. (Doc) Savage. Should you find the pictures of you and Capt. Savage I would greatly appreciate.

I have an email that you can send the pictures directly to me: egduarte@sealegacy.com

Best Regards:

Capt. Duarte
Hi and a very good morning to you. Got that,will do best regards harry t.

ChasH
11th July 2014, 00:59

hi sailed with ab called john linnet i think, he talked a lot about head line and the red hand of ulster something about cutting off there hand and throwing it ashore, don't know if that's true perhaps you have more knowledge of this mine is only hearsay, all the best chasH

ferrandou
11th July 2014, 19:04
hi sailed with ab called john linnet i think, he talked a lot about head line and the red hand of ulster something about cutting off there hand and throwing it ashore, don't know if that's true perhaps you have more knowledge of this mine is only hearsay, all the best chasH

John Lynott aka Mad Dog. He was a nice guy and got his nickname by biting a police dog which tried to bite him. He got off with a fine. The story about the hand is oft told, would be better if it were true. but alas ......

SharlaG
12th August 2014, 01:06
I would really like some information about the Dunaff Head. My grandfather sailed on her before he got married in 1938.
Does anyone know where I could get records of crew/voyages etc?

Wil Smith
12th August 2014, 01:46
Sharla - I have copied the relevant page from "Head Line" by W J Harvey, published by the World Ship Society in 1990.
I hope this works OK!
Cheers
Wil

Harry Kicubbin
19th August 2014, 13:00
Hi Amanda

I sailed on the Carrigan Head in 1963 as 2nd Engineer, I am sorry I cannot recall your grandfather, I can only assume he was on deck whereas I was in the engine room. If you wish to make more enquiries it would be helpful if you knew what he did at sea.
Kindest regards
Harry

Harry Kicubbin
19th September 2014, 11:22
Hi Lennie.
Sorry I am afraid I cannot recall your grandfather

Harry

raymond seaye
20th September 2014, 04:28
hi Harry, I had a nice surprise when I came upon your name on this site, my mind took me back to bye-gone days.You were 2nd mate, I one of the four cadets, there was Eric White, Brian Kernaghan myself and young Desi McKinley. I was lucky enough to be on your watch which I enjoyed, I recall one time when we dropped the pilot off at Belfast, you said to me, "right your in charge, set the course" "WOW" I thought, Oh I'm sure you kept watch. Then there was the time in the middle of the Atlantic on the 12/4 we were peckish on watch, ABs were eating well so you sent me out on a scouting errand to find eggs & bacon, which I did and we enjoyed them. Also I remember you showing me a photo on the bridge of your wife, I'm think it was your first trip after your wedding. By the way I'm Raymond Seaye, I now live in Australia, I've have been in touch Desi, Brian and a few others. Harry, it was pleasure to know you and sail with you, give my best regards to your family. Raymond S.

SuziePC
20th September 2014, 14:38
Hi All, I just wanted to let you know that I have a group on Facebook called "HEAD LINE SHIPS" which is sailing along nicely. Would love to have you join us or just drop in to say "hi". https://www.facebook.com/groups/576542832459782/ It's a great way to connect with old shipmates and their families.

LesL
22nd September 2014, 11:32
Hi:
Found this page on forum. Can any one help me find out what happened to some of the Guys I sail with during my time with Headline.

I was Deck apprentice and third Mate. Started 1967 on Ramore Head, Sailed on Fair Head Roonah, Torr, Carrigian

Lost track of most of the guys. Looking for any information on Harry Brown. Duncan Gillies Awin Soppit I think he moved to St John NB. Bambi Thompson. or Telford Evans

Any information would be great.

I am now retired living in New Zealand. Left the MN and Retrained as an Electrician and moved to NZ having worked here and Australia.

Les Lewis,

SuziePC
25th September 2014, 18:14
Hi Les, I private messaged you - click on "Private messages" at the top of the page. Rowan "Dorcus" Dickson would love to hear from you. He remembers you and is also in touch with Telford and others. :) Email me at splisson "at" nbnet.nb.ca and I will give you his email address.
Suzanne

Irvingman
25th September 2014, 19:18
Hi:
Found this page on forum. Can any one help me find out what happened to some of the Guys I sail with ...............Looking for any information on ............ Awin Soppit I think he moved to St John NB.
Les Lewis,

Les
Alwyn (AL) Soppitt did indeed move to St John NB where he later joined the St John Port Corporation and was President and CEO of that organisation on his retirement in 2011. Sadly Al passed away in January 2013.
John

JB51
4th November 2014, 21:17
Hi Les, sent a message on Facebook, but am now with this forum, I am looking for some ex Head Line Apprentices, so see if we can work it out together

harry t.
9th November 2014, 21:57
Hi:
Found this page on forum. Can any one help me find out what happened to some of the Guys I sail with during my time with Headline.

I was Deck apprentice and third Mate. Started 1967 on Ramore Head, Sailed on Fair Head Roonah, Torr, Carrigian

Lost track of most of the guys. Looking for any information on Harry Brown. Duncan Gillies Awin Soppit I think he moved to St John NB. Bambi Thompson. or Telford Evans

I am now retired living in New Zealand. Left the MN and Retrained as an Electrician and moved to NZ having worked here and Australia.

Les Lewis, on this wee clip as follows;
http://www.shipsnostalgia.tv/members/action/viewvideo/3410/some_Head_Line_faces/?vpkey=
Hi Les, the senior 'apprehension' on the wheel (I forget) with Norman Stark (o.w.)then Wally Sherwood, wee Billy(the cook), Bob Wortley and me. The senior apprentice again then Wally getting ready to entertain at the locks. Norman in charge-B.O.T. sports. Finally 'Swifty',yours truly and is it yourself? best regards Harry t.