image hosting sites?

Stoneroad
8th January 2010, 20:01
A question for you.
Apart from the Gallery on 'ShipsNostalgia', which image hosting site(s) do you use? and why? Do you have any hints and tips you would like to share?

To answer my own question - I use fotopic.
Because I like the way I can, within some limits, design a mini-website that blends in with the topics on my main website.
In addition, I find uploading images, and managing the collections, very easy. (important as I am not a techno-geek! (Thumb) )

Over to you.

Regards
StoneRoad

treeve
8th January 2010, 20:41
I guess my question is why use image hosting sites at all, it is so easy to store them safely with secure copies on DVD and external drives. The hosting sites that I have checked out and begun to use were sadly lacking, picture sizes and files sizes were limited and nigh pointless, with poor definition. Page layouts were dire, being 80% blank screen. Some had adverts galore on things of no consequence. If they are hosted for use on other sites, again what is the point? Surely you have much more control on them if they are on your own website? I also discovered (and I am being realist here and not dismissive) but the pictures ended up being a part of a massive base of pictures, in which the few I had were lost amongst many. I discovered the same was true of other people's pictures, they were simply floating as pooh sticks under the bridge. The digital equivalent of the mortar that holds up buildings, it is there but cannot properly be seen. The one thing that sets Ships Nostalgia apart, as does some other sites, is that it is dedicated to a finite subject, sizes are not adversely limited and the photographs can be browsed sensibly. The pictures are seen by a community that knows and understands each others passions and backgrounds. On Image Hosting sites, to be blunt, is very often like tossing fish food into the pool. A flurry of activity and then the moment has passed. Am I being cynical?

K urgess
8th January 2010, 22:21
Just a small point.
SN is NOT an image hosting site.
No-one should rely on the gallery as a storage place for their pictures.
Please see the pointers - http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=12964

Stoneroad
8th January 2010, 23:07
What I was getting at was - which sites do you use to display your images to other people, ie an online album.

(Not as a method of storage!)

Jeffers
10th January 2010, 19:57
What I was getting at was - which sites do you use to display your images to other people, ie an online album.

(Not as a method of storage!)

I use Picasa, free from Google. You can send people a link to allow them to access pictures you have posted there.

gaelsail
11th January 2010, 10:19
I use Picasa, free from Google. You can send people a link to allow them to access pictures you have posted there.
Flickr is the site I use- probably because it was the first competent one I came across. Free to use but if you can subscribe if you need more.

I use it to display the photos but then also use the links to share my photos in other groups/forums that do not have any storage space at all.

meechingman
12th January 2010, 19:28
Photobucket is another free one. Serves my purposes well.

david_crosby
12th January 2010, 21:23
I would highly recommend www.shipspotting.com (http://www.shipspotting.com) which only carries large format pix (so detail is preserved) and Vesseltracker (Google it) who not only hold large format pix but you get judged there too!!

andysk
17th January 2010, 10:47
I'm with you Gaelsail, I have started to use Flickr now, they seem to be easy to use. There is also a large online community of groups of similar interests which I find useful ....

Added to the fact that publications sourcing images for specific purposes trawl Flickr, so you may get requested for your pic to be used in a book or magazine.

gaelsail
17th January 2010, 15:34
Added to the fact that publications sourcing images for specific purposes trawl Flickr, so you may get requested for your pic to be used in a book or magazine.
Yes, you're right there- I've had 2 or 3 requests recently. At least the legitimate publications seem to ask first & properly credit you. They usually want the original size/resolution so Flickr is like a 'shop window'

andysk
22nd January 2010, 19:14
That's right about it being a shop window, but there is a view that Getty Images ask for the pics and never use them, thus depriving others of their use.

Did you get paid for the image use, or did they say you can have an acknowledgment (and the kudos of seeing your name in print) ?

One of my wife's pics of the snow before Christmas has been requested for use in Sussex Life mag, she will at least get one free copy of that issue.

gaelsail
22nd January 2010, 19:41
That's right about it being a shop window, but there is a view that Getty Images ask for the pics and never use them, thus depriving others of their use.

Did you get paid for the image use, or did they say you can have an acknowledgment (and the kudos of seeing your name in print) ?

One of my wife's pics of the snow before Christmas has been requested for use in Sussex Life mag, she will at least get one free copy of that issue.
Hadn't heard about the Getty images view. I'm happy with a credit for the photo but I'd not thought of asking for a free issue so I could see how it was used. Good idea!

david_crosby
22nd January 2010, 21:35

Getty Images frequently turn up as the stills in TV documentaries.